Good Modern Science Fiction

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
placeholder

Re: Good Modern Science Fiction

Post by placeholder »

I have started Station Eternity by Mur Lafferty which is a blend of cozy mystery and science fiction.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... -lafferty/

Mallory has the cozy mystery trope of people dying unexpectedly around her and her solving the murder which in reality destroys her life and makes the police very suspicious so she has fled earth to an alien space station with only two other which prevented any fresh murders however a ship full of humans is on the there which has her in a panic as she knows what will happen next.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I'm liking the Picard books, especially those by Una.
Intrepyd

Post by Intrepyd »

The Three Body Problem.

The first of a trilogy. Quite amazing.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

rockstar wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:34 pm I'm reading Project Hail Mary right now. And it's really good.
+1 for Hail Mary. I'm assuming this gets made into a movie at some point because its such a fun and interesting story. Lots of creative things the right director could do with it.
FlyHighAnalyzeThis

Post by FlyHighAnalyzeThis »

The Expanse series are quite good. Books are better than the TV shows.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:26 pm I finished all 3 books of the Revenger series and was not disappointed.

My late husband had purchased 8 of the 21 books in C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner series on Kindle, but not the first 10. (The rest were on paperback which I no longer have.)

Since I can't read just 1 book of a series, I purchased the first 5 and will see how it goes.
Thanks for the referral.
I ordered "book 1" of the Foreigner Series. Will see how it goes.

It's difficult to find quality prose amongst so much that is written nowadays.
Aloha
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
grok87

Post by grok87 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:23 pm I'm almost 2/3 through Cryptonomicon. Anathem was the last book I read.

Give yourself some time to recover, as Anathem takes a while to get adjusted. A lot of words, yes. How they are used will keep you thinking for quite some time.
i'm in the middle of Anathem now. not sure what i think yet
RIP Mr. Bogle.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

I have heard great thinks about the Rosewater series by Tade Thompson and am inclined to jump in. Any other votes one way or the other?
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

The first two books of the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons are amazing.
breakaway

Post by breakaway »

FlyHighAnalyzeThis wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:03 am The Expanse series are quite good. Books are better than the TV shows.
That is a great series. :beer
I just finished it and am now reading the Expanse short stories "Memory's Legion" .
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

protagonist wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:24 pm The first two books of the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons are amazing.
Very much agree. They are about 25 years old now but hold up very well. The next two in the series are also good, and extend the story to a conclusion, but aren't totally necessary.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Timothy Love

Post by Timothy Love »

This is a great post, I've been quite interested in science fiction lately. Although someone recommended it before, the three-body trilogy, I personally prefer the second and third
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I posted this years ago, but once again I highly recommend Daniel Keys Moran's first three books of his Tales of the Continuing Time series, especially The Long Run (book 2), and also Emerald Eyes (book 1) and The Last Dancer (book 3). They fit into the early "cyberpunk" genre of the early computer age, along with William Gibson and Neal Stephenson, and though lesser known than classics like Neuromancer and Snowcrash, contain similar themes- I think The Long Run is the finest example of the genre, and predates Snowcrash (late 1980s). An earlier work, "Armageddon Blues", set the scene for the Continuing Time series....I quite enjoyed that one too but it is much less polished, and I would not recommend reading it first.

Though Moran is virtually unknown, don't let that deter you...read the reviews. He has a strong cult following and everybody I know who read The Long Run feels that it is one of the best sci fi novels ever written. Why nobody ever bought the movie rights is beyond me. The books were out of print for a long time and sold for stratospheric prices on the internet...now there are newer paperback editions and Kindle editions. It doesn't get much better than this. Check out reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Long-Run-Daniel- ... 1939888336

After a long break he published the fourth book of the series in the 2010s..."The AI Wars"....I don't think it compares with the other three- much less nuance and I was disappointed (it is far more predictable. The ideas presented in his earlier works were way ahead of their time.)
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

protagonist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:04 pm Though Moran is virtually unknown, don't let that deter you...read the reviews. He has a strong cult following and everybody I know who read The Long Run feels that it is one of the best sci fi novels ever written. Why nobody ever bought the movie rights is beyond me. The books were out of print for a long time and sold for stratospheric prices on the internet...now there are newer paperback editions and Kindle editions. It doesn't get much better than this. Check out reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Long-Run-Daniel- ... 1939888336
I agree with you. I read The Long Run not that long ago and probably will re-read it. The only other science-fiction book I've reread is Dune.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Reading Saturn Run by John Sandford and Ctein in which an apparent alien ship is spotted near saturn leading to a race between the usa and china to get there.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm finally on the last book of the Foreigner series by C. J. Cherryh. I think the last 2 books are a bit long in the tooth and dragging things out.

I was looking for my next series and found an interesting source. My favorite security podcast host, Steve Gibson of Security Now, is into sci-fi and often discusses what he's reading. You have to use your judgment, as I've found several recommendations not that appealing.

A recent recommendation for a very long series, The Frontiers Saga by Ryk Brown got mixed reviews in GoodReads. I think I'll skip it.

Tip: Don't just read the reviews for the first book. Read the book reviews for the middle and end of the series so you can get an idea of how things go.

The Bobiverse Series, by Dennis E. Taylor had good reviews and is also mentioned in this thread. I'll be reading this series next - which is now 4 books long.

Also recently mentioned in the podcast is the Silver Ships Series by S.H. Jucha. I'll probably go for this series after I finish the Bobiverse series.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Just finished The Spare Man by Mary Robinette Kowal in which super rich inventor tesla crane and her retired detective husband and service dog are on a honeymoon space cruise when they become embroiled in a murder and if it sounds like an homage to the thin man well get ready for lots of cocktails and witty banter.
tsohg

Post by tsohg »

Anything Ian M. Banks, particularly books set in the Culture universe. One of my favorites is Player of Games.

For something a little different, I've really enjoyed the Dungeon Crawler Carl series: Dungeon Crawler Carl, by Matt Dinniman. It has as funny name but it's really a great read. I've recommended to friends who "hate" science fiction and fantasy, and they've become fans.
FlyHighAnalyzeThis

Post by FlyHighAnalyzeThis »

Project Hail Mary
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:25 pm ...The Bobiverse Series, by Dennis E. Taylor had good reviews and is also mentioned in this thread. I'll be reading this series next - which is now 4 books long.

Also recently mentioned in the podcast is the Silver Ships Series by S.H. Jucha. I'll probably go for this series after I finish the Bobiverse series.
I downloaded all 4 books of the Bobiverse series and am now on Book 2, For We Are Many. This series is what I would call fun, light reading. It's targeted at hard sci-fi geeks (like me) who understand all of the Star Trek references. It's an interesting and different perspective on the classic sci-fi tales of human exploration in the universe, not to mention meeting alien life forms.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Recently read The Paradox Hotel by Rob Hart:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/book ... -rob-hart/

Americans invented time travel to the past and control access for research and tourism but now the system is up for auction while security chief january cole investigates strange events while dealing with becoming unstuck in time.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:12 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:25 pm ...The Bobiverse Series, by Dennis E. Taylor had good reviews and is also mentioned in this thread. I'll be reading this series next - which is now 4 books long.

I downloaded all 4 books of the Bobiverse series and am now on Book 2, For We Are Many. This series is what I would call fun, light reading. It's targeted at hard sci-fi geeks (like me) who understand all of the Star Trek references. It's an interesting and different perspective on the classic sci-fi tales of human exploration in the universe, not to mention meeting alien life forms.
I finished the Bobiverse series last week. Book 5 is in progress, but there's no publication date. I'm not sure I'd want to continue, as Book 4 seemed to complete the series.

I then went to download the first book of the Silver Ships Series on my Kindle. Amazon knows me well. Just above the first book was "Purchase all 20 books, click here". So, I did. :)

I find some of the concepts in this series similar to the Bobiverse. Or, maybe I've read way too many sci-fi books. What I did notice, however, is that neither author can match the writing style of C. J. Cherryh. They're just not in the same league.

This is a space opera series. I like the perspective and it's yet another spin on human - artificial life form - alien interactions. I'm now on Book 2 and don't want to put it down.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:09 am
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:26 pm I finished all 3 books of the Revenger series and was not disappointed.

My late husband had purchased 8 of the 21 books in C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner series on Kindle, but not the first 10. (The rest were on paperback which I no longer have.)

Since I can't read just 1 book of a series, I purchased the first 5 and will see how it goes.
Thanks for the referral.
I ordered "book 1" of the Foreigner Series. Will see how it goes.

It's difficult to find quality prose amongst so much that is written nowadays.
Aloha
j
Same here - just ordered Book #1. How did you go?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

In case you're referring to me, I finished the series. My prior comment on C.J. Cherryh was in reference to the Foreigner series. She's certainly not the only high quality author, just the most recent I've read.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"The Best Of World SF, Volume Two", edited by Lavie Tidhar (Head of Zeus Ltd. 2022)

Twenty-nine short stories composed by authors from 24 countries, from Bahrain to Zimbabwe. Many of the stories are hard SF, but the rest veer into the realms of fantasy, mythology, and alternate futures. It is both entertaining and enlightening to discover how talented authors from around the globe imagine the possibilities of a science fiction tale. Some of the stories are quite emotionally affecting without being cloying; that's a sign of nuanced writing ability. Having been mightily inspired, I'm off to track down Volume One.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

protagonist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:04 pm I posted this years ago, but once again I highly recommend Daniel Keys Moran's first three books of his Tales of the Continuing Time series, especially The Long Run (book 2), and also Emerald Eyes (book 1) and The Last Dancer (book 3). They fit into the early "cyberpunk" genre of the early computer age, along with William Gibson and Neal Stephenson, and though lesser known than classics like Neuromancer and Snowcrash, contain similar themes- I think The Long Run is the finest example of the genre, and predates Snowcrash (late 1980s). An earlier work, "Armageddon Blues", set the scene for the Continuing Time series....I quite enjoyed that one too but it is much less polished, and I would not recommend reading it first.

Though Moran is virtually unknown, don't let that deter you...read the reviews. He has a strong cult following and everybody I know who read The Long Run feels that it is one of the best sci fi novels ever written. Why nobody ever bought the movie rights is beyond me. The books were out of print for a long time and sold for stratospheric prices on the internet...now there are newer paperback editions and Kindle editions. It doesn't get much better than this. Check out reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Long-Run-Daniel- ... 1939888336

After a long break he published the fourth book of the series in the 2010s..."The AI Wars"....I don't think it compares with the other three- much less nuance and I was disappointed (it is far more predictable. The ideas presented in his earlier works were way ahead of their time.)
Dan's new book is out today.

The Great Gods: The Time Wars, Book One

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWH6BST2/
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Sandi_k wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:15 am
protagonist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:04 pm I posted this years ago, but once again I highly recommend Daniel Keys Moran's first three books of his Tales of the Continuing Time series, especially The Long Run (book 2), and also Emerald Eyes (book 1) and The Last Dancer (book 3). They fit into the early "cyberpunk" genre of the early computer age, along with William Gibson and Neal Stephenson, and though lesser known than classics like Neuromancer and Snowcrash, contain similar themes- I think The Long Run is the finest example of the genre, and predates Snowcrash (late 1980s). An earlier work, "Armageddon Blues", set the scene for the Continuing Time series....I quite enjoyed that one too but it is much less polished, and I would not recommend reading it first.

Dan's new book is out today.

The Great Gods: The Time Wars, Book One

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWH6BST2/
Thanks!
I'm a bit apprehensive after reading "The AI Wars". I wonder if Dan still has it in him. That said, I am enough of a fan of his early work that I will definitely give it a shot.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

FYI. Anywhere from 5-12 Star Trek novels go on sale each month. This month all of the Picard books are on sale.

This page gets refreshed at the beginning of each month.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/p/star ... book-deals
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

OK, a recent read that I don't remember seeing mentioned here:

- A Memory Called Empire, by Arkady Martine. First in series of two books - both of which won the Hugo.

I really enjoyed them - great character development, innovative premise, action, bloodshed, space opera, cultural wars...what's not to like? ;)
TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider »

Camouflage by Joe Haldeman

A unique view of humanity through the eyes of extra terrestrials. Have re-read it multiple times.

https://www.amazon.com/Camouflage-Joe-H ... 307&sr=8-1
For some reason, people that know nothing, seem to know everything...
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

TetrisCollider wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:38 pm Camouflage by Joe Haldeman

A unique view of humanity through the eyes of extra terrestrials. Have re-read it multiple times.

Thanks, I read and finished it over the weekend at your suggestion. Easy read, decent english and story, but not a top-10 for me.

Your comment about re-reading got me thinking about which scifi I've re-read. One that comes to mind is Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Back on the list it goes.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Years ago I read a story of am aggressive earthling who came to a planet of very wise, peaceful non violent people. Eventually they realized they could not resist him, but they were very wise, so they gave him the planet, made him the supreme ruler. Then they pointed out to him that he would have to defend the planet against of aggressive earthlings who would come and try to take if from him.

What is that story and who wrote it?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

heartwood wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:09 pm

Thanks, I read and finished it over the weekend at your suggestion. Easy read, decent english and story, but not a top-10 for me.

Your comment about re-reading got me thinking about which scifi I've re-read. One that comes to mind is Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Back on the list it goes.
Regarding rereading, I can think of three sci-fi books I’ve read more than once: Asimov’s original Foundation trilogy, Dune (three or four times, but have never read any of his other books in the series), and an old paperback of James Blish’s Cities in Flight stories. I’ve read Tolkien’s LOTR multiple times but don’t consider it sci-fi.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:18 am Regarding rereading, I can think of three sci-fi books I’ve read more than once: Asimov’s original Foundation trilogy, Dune (three or four times, but have never read any of his other books in the series), and an old paperback of James Blish’s Cities in Flight stories. I’ve read Tolkien’s LOTR multiple times but don’t consider it sci-fi.
I have read the murderbot stories several times as I enjoy the internal dialog plus the fast pace and action.
TetrisCollider

Post by TetrisCollider »

heartwood wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:09 pm

Rendezvous with Rama was definitely a good read. Certainly puts things into perspective...I think it will be definitely re-read. :)

Although not really a Sci-Fi genre (more like a philosophically, religiously or scientifically different way of thinking about who we are, as humans), the following book might be of interest to those who like to think outside the box: Genesis Revisited by Zecharia Sitchin

https://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Revisite ... 119&sr=8-1

He has several other, more detailed books on his theory, but Genesis Revisited is a good summary that does not require you to read all the others. And for those who decide to give this book a read, check out articles on Planet X and/or Planet 9 in recent (2015 till now) astronomy news (after you read the book). ;)
For some reason, people that know nothing, seem to know everything...
startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth »

placeholder wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:25 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:18 am Regarding rereading, I can think of three sci-fi books I’ve read more than once: Asimov’s original Foundation trilogy, Dune (three or four times, but have never read any of his other books in the series), and an old paperback of James Blish’s Cities in Flight stories. I’ve read Tolkien’s LOTR multiple times but don’t consider it sci-fi.
I have read the murderbot stories several times as I enjoy the internal dialog plus the fast pace and action.
I almost never re-read, but I might make an exception for the Murderbot stories; such a great series.
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

Sandi_k wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:41 pm OK, a recent read that I don't remember seeing mentioned here:

- A Memory Called Empire, by Arkady Martine. First in series of two books - both of which won the Hugo.

I really enjoyed them - great character development, innovative premise, action, bloodshed, space opera, cultural wars...what's not to like? ;)
I read the A Memory Called Empire shortly after it came out and I remember enjoying it but I didn't realize it was going to be a series. Looking forward to reading the 2nd book of the series! I'm not sure how much of the first book I remember...

Thanks for the mention!
startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth »

stilts1007 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:16 pm
Sandi_k wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:41 pm OK, a recent read that I don't remember seeing mentioned here:

I read the A Memory Called Empire shortly after it came out and I remember enjoying it but I didn't realize it was going to be a series. Looking forward to reading the 2nd book of the series! I'm not sure how much of the first book I remember...

Thanks for the mention!
I loved both books, and I remember tracking down a summary of the 1st book before starting the 2nd (separated by about 14 months); unfortunately, not sure where I found a summary - probably Wikipedia or Reddit? Hope you enjoy it!
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Book from the library, The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy, 2021. There's a short story in this collection I really enjoyed about a view of our future relationship with AI, The Beast Adjoins.

Also, another library book, not modern, I saw an article about Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber was in the very early stages of a potential TV production, so I thought I'd re-read. Read two volumes for some nostalgia. I think this would be a very ambitious project to put to the screen.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

placeholder wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:25 pm
I googled them and thinking of giving All Systems Red a read. Thanks!
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:35 pm I googled them and thinking of giving All Systems Red a read. Thanks!
If you try it let us know how it went.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

John Scalzi has already been mentioned but the first book of his I read got me to read everything else. Agent to the Stars is about an entertainment agent in Los Angeles who is ordered by his boss to figure out how to introduce aliens secretly orbiting earth to the human race. The problem is that the aliens look like blocks of jello and smell like rancid farts. That book introduced me to Scalzi's warped sense of humor.
judge1905

Post by judge1905 »

Intrepyd wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:17 pm The Three Body Problem.

The first of a trilogy. Quite amazing.
Only about halfway through, but would definitely recommend so far!
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Recently read The Mimicking of Known Successes by Malka Older which is mystery story set on an orbiting railway that circles jupiter.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:31 pm ...I finished the Bobiverse series last week. Book 5 is in progress, but there's no publication date. I'm not sure I'd want to continue, as Book 4 seemed to complete the series.

I then went to download the first book of the Silver Ships Series on my Kindle. Amazon knows me well. Just above the first book was "Purchase all 20 books, click here". So, I did. :)

I find some of the concepts in this series similar to the Bobiverse. Or, maybe I've read way too many sci-fi books. What I did notice, however, is that neither author can match the writing style of C. J. Cherryh. They're just not in the same league.

This is a space opera series. I like the perspective and it's yet another spin on human - artificial life form - alien interactions. I'm now on Book 2 and don't want to put it down.
I just finished Book 13 Sojourn, where the author inserted a note to read the Pyreans Series before proceeding to Book 14. It's a stand-alone story that will merge with Book 14 Alliance.

Since I already had 20 books, purchasing 4 more wouldn't hurt - so I did. The first book in the series Empath is an entirely different story and I can't to put it down.
erp

Post by erp »

erp wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:00 pm ...Maybe eventually we'll have a chatgpt that is constantly organizing and summarizing all the posts in background to come up with the final answer to every thread. (Anyone remember Asimov's "The Last Question", his own favorite story? https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~gamvrosi/thelastq.html )
btw I reread this and there's a big math error in the middle of the story. Even Asimov vastly underestimated exponential growth! Surprised it wasn't fixed in any of the reprints.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I started watching the Silo series on Apple TV shortly after it came out and found the concept pretty intriguing. What appear to be the last remnants of earth's population are living in an underground silo buried 130ish stories below ground. No one seems to know any history prior to being there and examples / samples from the past (relics) are forbidden. Along with the mystery of the past there are current events - suspected murders and suspicious incidents - and some intriguing and suspicious characters.

I liked the show enough to look into its source material and recently finished the first book in the Silo series, Wool. I downloaded the second book, Shift, yesterday, and listened to the first hour walking this morning. The series is authored by Hugh Howey.

Edit: I forgot to mention how addictive these books are when you’re listening (or I assume when reading). It’s hard to stop.
Last edited by Artful Dodger on Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Glad to find this thread.

Not sure if mentioned:

The Algebraist, by Iain M. Banks. An incredible read.

Also by Banks: Consider Phebas and The Player of Games, also really excellent.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Looking for recommendations on books/writers. I have liked Scalzi's work and Anderson's Destroyermen series, though I got lost in the sequels as the story lines got more complex. I also like time travel stories/novels. But this is an area I know little about and at the local bookstore, selection is very limited.

Recommendations would be appreciated.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:13 pm Looking for recommendations on books/writers.
<snip>
I also like time travel stories/novels.
For time travel check out Jack Finney:
  • "The Third Level" - 1952 short story found in The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Volume 2
  • Time and Again - 1970 book
  • From Time to Time - 1995 book, sequel to Time and Again