What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Elsebet

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Elsebet »

"Finch" on AppleTV - reminded me of a lighter "The Road", but I still cried at the end. I liked it overall, although it had some uneven pacing - does not seem to be available on blu-ray though which makes me sad.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:22 am Hidden Figures, $3.99 rental on Amazon, rated PG, Kevin Costner, Sheldon (Jim Parsons - Big Bang Theory TV series), 2016, biography / drama / history. Three women serve a critical role supporting NASA. I don't know why I waited so long to watch this. This movie won a lot of awards. I liked it.

Sheldon's role in the movie was perfect - that's all I could think about.
This movie is one of my all time favorites.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:45 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:22 am Hidden Figures, $3.99 rental on Amazon, rated PG, Kevin Costner, Sheldon (Jim Parsons - Big Bang Theory TV series), 2016, biography / drama / history. Three women serve a critical role supporting NASA. I don't know why I waited so long to watch this. This movie won a lot of awards. I liked it.

+100 ^^^^ Also helps that one of my daughters has a masters in math! :wink:
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Brewman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:12 pm

I can't say that it is one of my all-time favorites, but I remember looking up the story on the way home from seeing it. The film was pretty historically accurate, which is generally not the case. Can't beat a good "based on a true story" film, that is actually a true story.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:04 pm

I can't say that it is one of my all-time favorites, but I remember looking up the story on the way home from seeing it. The film was pretty historically accurate, which is generally not the case. Can't beat a good "based on a true story" film, that is actually a true story.
Yeah. I didn't care for the movie but generally when the movie starts "based on a true story" it means "nothing in the next hour and a half you see is true except for the names of the characters." Happy to hear that wasn't the case here. But usually, yeah, "based on a true story" means "none of this is even remotely accurate."
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

+1
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

TacoLover wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:49 pm
stoptothink wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:04 pm

Yeah. I didn't care for the movie but generally when the movie starts "based on a true story" it means "nothing in the next hour and a half you see is true except for the names of the characters." Happy to hear that wasn't the case here. But usually, yeah, "based on a true story" means "none of this is even remotely accurate."
Book on which the movie is based.

Site -looks kind of like wikipedia.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hidden ... -Shetterly
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

A Man Called Otto on Netflix was great.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:11 am I still go back and re-watch Apollo 13 occasionally.

I've always been a "space nerd" (watched the Apollo 11 moon landing as it happened), so when I saw the trailer in the theater, I informed my wife that, yes, we WOULD be going to this movie. We watched it in the theater during it's original release. It was (to my taste) an incredible movie, but I didn't get a feel for just how incredible until something that happened late in the showing.

Of course, we all went into the movie knowing exactly how it would end, since it was based on a first-person account (Jim Lovell's "Lost Moon") of the actual real-life Apollo 13 mission. We knew from history that the three astronauts would make it back safely, that nobody would die. No surprises there.

When the Command Module came out of re-entry blackout and popped its chutes, and Tom Hanks broke the suspense in Mission Control by saying "Hello, Houston, this is Odyssey - it's good to see you", every single person in the theater got to their feet and cheered wildly.

Movies are made to elicit emotional responses in the audience. This one certainly did that.

As a side note, I got great pleasure from learning about Jim Lovell's cameo in that film.
What is really amazing about this movie, is that everyone knows things will turn out ok, but you still feel the suspense and interestingly feel extremely relieved that everyone survives. That's how well done it is. A fascinating scene is when Lovell has to do math for as solution to an emergency burn and asks mission control to check his math(the on board computer has been shut down). Everyone wips out their slide rules and confirms his figures. It is amazing that the things we take for granted (PC's, pocket calculators) were unknown then and people were risking their lives on pretty primitive equipment.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

novicemoney wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:54 pm Everyone wips out their slide rules and confirms his figures. It is amazing that the things we take for granted (PC's, pocket calculators) were unknown then and people were risking their lives on pretty primitive equipment.
Watch Hidden Figures for an even better impression of how they did things. (See the above comments.) A "computer" was a person who computed the math.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:20 pm
novicemoney wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:54 pm Everyone wips out their slide rules and confirms his figures. It is amazing that the things we take for granted (PC's, pocket calculators) were unknown then and people were risking their lives on pretty primitive equipment.
Watch Hidden Figures for an even better impression of how they did things. (See the above comments.) A "computer" was a person who computed the math.
Yes it startled me when they referred to a human being as a "computer". A really good movie in which the math nerds are the heroes. Interestingly enough a subplot of that movie was the advent of a mainframe "computer" that replaced the human "computers".
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

Redacted
Last edited by Weathering on Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Sisu in theaters. Very graphic violence, but who doesn’t like nazis being taken out in very gory ways?
When a former Finnish commando known as the Immortal who was known for being unkillable after taking out 300 Russians in the previous war has his gold stolen by Nazis nothing can stop him from getting it back.
Extreme violence with nazis being killed in extremely gruesome ways, so steer clear if you are squeamish. But if you have ever said “That new up real good!” you will have a good time.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Dungeons and Dragon movie.

Now, I want to rewatch the cartoon.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

My wife and I watched "Everything, Everywhere, All at Once".

We were both very disappointed and only made it half way through. Usually, I think IMDb ratings are fairly accurate if a movie will be good or not. IMDb gave this movie a 7.8. I would rate it about 2.5.

We had waited about a month to get it from the library.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Matahari wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:32 pm
bertilak wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:56 am Just (re)watched Galaxy Quest (1999).
Clever concept
Exciting plot
Great script
Great characters
Great cast (Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, Rainn Wilson, SPECIAL MENTION: Enrico Colantoni as Mathesar)
Great production values
Humor galore
I could go on!

If you are a Star Trek (or similar) fan you will definitely appreciate this one.

I saw it on Netflix.

This is one of my favorite films! I love the cleverness of the concept. I especially love Alan Rickman in his role.
The scene where the Sigourney Weaver character berates the obstacle she and the Tim Allen character must overcome makes me laugh just thinking about it!
Galaxy Quest on Netflix, rated PG, 1999, adventure / comedy / sci-fi. The cast of a sci-fi TV show have their roles transformed into the real thing.

At first, I thought the movie was a bit campy. After the things settled down, it became very enjoyable to watch. A few scenes were hilarious. This movie won several awards. I liked it.

The Star Trek parody quickly became obvious (including the movie title). Fans will recognize the many ways it mirrored not only the original movie (v'ger) but the acting and plot in the first series.

Heads up: The last day to watch on Netflix is June 1, 2023.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Boglenaut wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:11 am My wife and I watched "Everything, Everywhere, All at Once".

We were both very disappointed and only made it half way through. Usually, I think IMDb ratings are fairly accurate if a movie will be good or not. IMDb gave this movie a 7.8. I would rate it about 2.5.

Go through this thread, multiple people confused as to why that film was so acclaimed. We never saw it, but of people I've talked to who have, a number of them walked out of the theatre. Don't really pay attention to IMDB rating, but a film getting "critical acclaim" today is usually a good indicator that I won't like it.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Casablanca, Ovation channel on DirectTV.

Classic 1942 drama starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains, Sydney Greenstreet, and Peter Lorre.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Boglenaut wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:11 am My wife and I watched "Everything, Everywhere, All at Once".

You got further than I did. But then again, I'm not a fan of slapsticky-type comedy. There's a place for that, but sweeping the Oscars? Hard to figure. Though I understand there was a broader, underlying theme to it all, but for me, it would have to do better the first ten minutes to have me stick around to learn it.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

mhalley wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:06 pm Sisu in theaters. Very graphic violence, but who doesn’t like nazis being taken out in very gory ways?
When a former Finnish commando known as the Immortal who was known for being unkillable after taking out 300 Russians in the previous war has his gold stolen by Nazis nothing can stop him from getting it back.
Extreme violence with nazis being killed in extremely gruesome ways, so steer clear if you are squeamish. But if you have ever said “That new up real good!” you will have a good time.
Just saw this today and loved it. It was like Rambo on steroids, just crazy action from start to finish.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

I just saw renfield. It was great. Very enjoyable. It is THE role Nicolas cage was meant to play. Good silly fun.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jjunk wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:47 pm
mhalley wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:06 pm Sisu in theaters. Very graphic violence, but who doesn’t like nazis being taken out in very gory ways?
Just saw this today and loved it. It was like Rambo on steroids, just crazy action from start to finish.
This is definitely up my alley.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

slowandsteadywins wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:15 pm A Man Called Otto on Netflix was great.
+1 We also watched that this weekend on netflix, thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife had read the book so she knew the story. As soon as the story opened I said "that was shot near us in Pennsylvania" ....wife looked it up and the movie was filmed around Pittsburgh! Grew up in Eastern Ohio / Western Pa... saw many neighborhood that look just like that in my youth.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

stoptothink wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:37 am

Go through this thread, multiple people confused as to why that film was so acclaimed. We never saw it, but of people I've talked to who have, a number of them walked out of the theatre. Don't really pay attention to IMDB rating, but a film getting "critical acclaim" today is usually a good indicator that I won't like it.
I didn’t think it was good.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:50 pm

You got further than I did. But then again, I'm not a fan of slapsticky-type comedy. There's a place for that, but sweeping the Oscars? Hard to figure. Though I understand there was a broader, underlying theme to it all, but for me, it would have to do better the first ten minutes to have me stick around to learn it.
"Weird" shows can be good. For example, I really liked "The Umbrella Academy" television series. "Everything, Everywhere, All at Once" was actually not bad until after the audit where everything was just a hectic mess of pointless violence. Then it was just the same thing over and over from that point on. Very boring.
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

amazon prime: Bad night at the El Royale. Jeff Bridges, Jon Hamm, 2018. Slow to start but wow. Noir. Great
SR II

Post by SR II »

Well, I can't say I actually watched this, but I did pay to see it in a theater: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Took my seat and fell asleep. That's all I have to say about it.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

65 with Adam Driver

:thumbsdown

Do not recommend - Just watch Jurassic Park or Starship Troopers instead.

Link to Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNqv-5BFEc8
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

A Man Called Otto on Netflix .

Air on Prime video.

Enjoyed both.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Missing on Netflix.

I enjoyed it, but it may not be for everyone. I often paused the film to make sure I was able to see/read everything on the screen. It didn't interfere with my enjoyment, but I can see where the "information overload" effect might be unappealing to some people.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

The Wonder (2022), starring Florence Pugh and Tom Burke, on Netflix:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81426931

According to the NYT review, "a story of faith and sacrifice"..., but the film is about much more. Ostensibly about the mystery of a young girl who has managed to live for four months without food, but the story expands to encompass the Irish famine, profound loss, rebirth and redemption.

Highly recommended.
(I am a fan of Florence Pugh and Tom Burke and will watch anything in which they star.)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Seven Year Itch,, Ovation channel on DirecTV.

This is a classic 1955 comedy starring Marilyn Monroe and Tom Ewell. A middle aged man in New York City, whose wife and child have gone to Maine for the summer, fantasises about a romance with the blonde who lives in the apartment above him.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
wm631

Post by wm631 »

Matahari wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:32 pm The Wonder (2022), starring Florence Pugh and Tom Burke, on Netflix:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81426931

According to the NYT review, "a story of faith and sacrifice"..., but the film is about much more. Ostensibly about the mystery of a young girl who has managed to live for four months without food, but the story expands to encompass the Irish famine, profound loss, rebirth and redemption.

Highly recommended.
(I am a fan of Florence Pugh and Tom Burke and will watch anything in which they star.)
+1, here.

I idly stopped in on this one because: (1) it wasn't another Marvel Comics fantasy (2) It wasn't set in our navel-gazing bubble world of post 2000. It was about another time, mind-set. (3) noticed it had Florence Pugh, who's been one of the most impressive newer actresses to come to the fore-front in recent years. It also has the always reliable Toby Jones.

Best seen without much of an outline of the story - that's the way you should see movies, anyway. Simply let the story unfold. Then, discuss it. It's about an incident in the Irish Midlands in the 1860s being investigated by an English nurse. Well done by all, and absorbing.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Dipped here and there into The Unsinkable Molly Brown, with Debbie Reynolds, because I've been dipping to the curious career of Meredith Willson. I think that the storyline is tedious--the criticism that it is "Molly Get Your Gun" is valid. But the numbers with Debbie Reynolds in them--notably "I Ain't Down Yet" and "Belly Up the Bar, Boys"--are amazing. I had absolutely no idea Debbie Reynolds could do that. I now feel that she had a lot of talent that was wasted in the sorts of parts she was usually cast in.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Conch55 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:41 am A Man Called Otto on Netflix .

Air on Prime video.

Enjoyed both.
Can’t go wrong with these two.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched "Dog" yesterday afternoon with the kids https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11252248/ We were all pleasantly surprised and would definitely not consider ourselves "dog people". I almost feel weird saying this, but Channing Tatum films are usually decent. He reminds me of Keanu Reeves, he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously and embraces that he has a reputation as someone who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Also love seeing Ethan Suplee in a film for a few minutes; he's a stud of human being.
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Pitch Perfect, excellent music and talented cast. Fast forward and actors have gone on to some excellent work. Immediately recognized a very young Utkarsh Ambudkar who plays Jay in Ghosts! 👻
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I watched "Goldfinger" again this afternoon in between naps.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

AKA on Netflix, rated TV-MA, Alban Lenoir, Action / Crime / Thriller. A special ops agent finds his morality put to the test when he infiltrates a crime syndicate and bonds with the boss's young son. It's yet another action-packed spy thriller, but with a plot twist that makes this film stand out. Not the best movie I've seen, but worth watching.

The main character reminded me of Jean-Claude VanDamme.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Pink Panther 2, on a DVD.

This is a 2009 comedy starring Steve Martin, watched with visiting grandchildren. Good fun.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I was impressed by "Hidden Figures". A nice mix of math, trajectory analysis via blackboard, and a NASA world where there are separate rules for "colored people". I admired the spunk of the three ladies who broke barriers and followed their dreams in the face of hostility. I unexpectedly found myself laughing out loud several times due to their sly humor.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just re-watched Witness for the Prosecution, the 1957 classic, with Charles Laughton, Marlene Dietrich, and Tyrone Power.

Fun note: The actress who plays the Laughton character's nurse, Miss Plimsoll, is his real-life wife, Elsa Lanchester.

Serious note: There are a couple of MAJOR spoilers in some summaries/reviews. If you don't know the story line, I *stongly* suggest that you carefully avoid any spoilers (and I've never said that about any other film/etc.).

Good movie!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:43 pm
I was impressed by "Hidden Figures". A nice mix of math, trajectory analysis via blackboard, and a NASA world where there are separate rules for "colored people". I admired the spunk of the three ladies who broke barriers and followed their dreams in the face of hostility. I unexpectedly found myself laughing out loud several times due to their sly humor.
A nice description of what Katherine Johnson actually did when she employed Euler’s method:

https://modelinginbiology.github.io/Vid ... d?loc=1715
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Spiderhead" streaming on Netflix. A sci-fi film that had a few big name actors but I thought it was a very silly movie and I'm not even sure why I finished it.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

John Wick 4.

I love action movies. I love shooting. I hated JW4. TBH I hated all of them. The beginning of the story in JW1 was good. But it's just ballet with shooting and it didn't look like they were shooting at all. The gun barrels never moved when shot. So I suspect there were no blanks and they added the explosions in post. In any case like JW2 and 3, there was no plot. Just a set up in the beginning then lots and lots of shooting. I like movies where there is shooting. I like westerns. I love Clint Eastwood. I love Charles Bronson. I love early Schwartzeneggar. But come on. Give me a story. No story. Just lots of shooting. I only watched it bec my friends who are shooters watched it. Two liked it. One mocked it.

Out of the Past. Film Noir with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas. Very good. Recommended.

The Incident. I think someone here may have recommended it. Beau Bridges. Martin Sheen. Ed McMahon. Fantastic. Very tense.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

Elsebet wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:02 pm "Spiderhead" streaming on Netflix. A sci-fi film that had a few big name actors but I thought it was a very silly movie and I'm not even sure why I finished it.
Looked intriguing but got terrible reviews. Glad I didn't watch it. If you are looking for I'd say the best science fiction movie ever made...

I think recommended on this board...

Colossus the Forbin project.

Not kidding about the best science fiction ever. It stayed in my head every day for at least a week after watching it. Not a lot of action. Spectacular movie.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Patriots Day starring Mark Wahlberg was quite good.
Somehow I missed seeing it in 2017 despite having seen a lot of movies in 2017 and having a strong interest in Boston.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

We Have a Ghost

Better than I expected. But I’d cut out the government plot and shorted to 90 minutes. It dragged in places.

Frighteners is a very similar movie. But it’s much better.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Kelly's Heroes. Still works after over 50 years.
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

We just watched “Still”, the documentary on Michael J Fox. Pretty interesting to see how his career unfolded and then was impacted by Parkinson’s Disease. I learned a lot about him I never would have otherwise known.