What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bustoff

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Bustoff »

Watched “Hereditary” last night. Am a fan of creepy movies. Not boring at all. Also pretty creepy by my standards for creepiness. ymmv
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

John Wick: Chapter 4. Big, exciting and funny. Donnie Yen is in particularly fine form. Best seen in a theater with a semi-rowdy audience. Recommended to those who know what they're getting into.
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

Der Goldene Handschuh from Fatih Akin.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_golden_glove

Overall a great dramatic story of a murderer in the prostitute neighborhood of Hamburg in the 1970s who found his victims in a local bar.

The characters are all well cast and more than quirky.
hotajax

Post by hotajax »

Godfather. I was yearning for Italian cuisine.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:09 pm
Kagord wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:58 am If you want a movie that actually requires at least 2 of the 3 traits you list to discuss and attempt (I don't say this lightly) to comprehend what you just watched, I recommend Primer (2004).
Thanks! A sci-fi movie about engineers? Count me in. It's showing as a $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime. I'll probably watch it next weekend. Ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB look OK. It's also mentioned in this thread.
I watched Primer. Yes, it did require some thought to watch. However, it got a bit boring. Would I recommend it? Probably not.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Wife and daughter are out of town so, my 7yr old son son and I had a guy's day: Brazilian jiu jitsu class then muay thai sparring, then we installed the tonneau cover on my truck, then capped the day watching Rocky 4. My son loved it; that film actually holds up nearly 30yrs later.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Emily (2023)

A fictionalized account of the life of Emily Bronte
which surmised a scenario that inspired Wuthering
Heights. Well done film. The music and atmospherics
of the somewhat gloomy and brooding English countryside
were exceptional.
Viewed at a theater.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Over the last week DW and I have semi binged the Jesse Stone movies. We have watched 8 of 9. Based on Robert Parker's books on Stone, a disgraced LA cop who moves to Paradise, Ma for his "last chance". Tom Sellick plays Stone as an alcoholic Chief of Police in a small town. Need I say more? However perhaps the best character in the series is Reggie, his dog.

Going to be sad when the final movie is viewed. Each movie follows a formula, but even with that, well acted and great characters.

Ed
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

MP173 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:37 am Over the last week DW and I have semi binged the Jesse Stone movies. We have watched 8 of 9. Based on Robert Parker's books on Stone, a disgraced LA cop who moves to Paradise, Ma for his "last chance". Tom Sellick plays Stone as an alcoholic Chief of Police in a small town. Need I say more? However perhaps the best character in the series is Reggie, his dog.

Going to be sad when the final movie is viewed. Each movie follows a formula, but even with that, well acted and great characters.

Ed
I was sad when the Stone movies got abandoned in favor of the Blue Bloods TV show. Blue Bloods was good, at least for a while, but I lost interest somewhere along the line. The Jesse Stone movies were more interesting. I cared more for the relatable Stone character than the too-perfect Frank Reagan character. And yes, Reggie was well done. Perhaps if Frank Reagan had a laid-back Golden Retriever ...
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

MP173 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:37 am Over the last week DW and I have semi binged the Jesse Stone movies. We have watched 8 of 9. Based on Robert Parker's books on Stone, a disgraced LA cop who moves to Paradise, Ma for his "last chance". Tom Sellick plays Stone as an alcoholic Chief of Police in a small town. Need I say more? However perhaps the best character in the series is Reggie, his dog.

Ed
There are several teasers on the internet about a new Jesse Stone movie. Alas the teasers started in 2017 and more recently Selleck says it might be too much for him: https://cinebox.vn/en/when-will-the-nex ... -released/

Not a movie, but there's a new Jesse Stone novel out in 2022 https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Parkers-F ... _author_dp

It's by Mike Lupika, the sportswriter. Seems he's been hired into the Robert Parker franchise to continue Spencer, Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone.

I read the Stone book, Lupika is a good writer. But that's for a different thread.

I've seen all the Jesse Stone movies and enjoyed Selleck in them all.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Saw OTTO with Tom Hanks.
Better than the first one a few years ago which was also good.
Wife and I both enjoyed it. The story line is similar but set in the US.
Some funny moments, but definitely not a comedy.
Deals with life and death as people get older.
Dan 999
Dan999
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Pathaan. Highest grossing Bollywood movie in history.
newdoc123

Post by newdoc123 »

I watched Doctor G, it is a good movie
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

The Ten Commandments (1956 movie)
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Company You Keep” with Robert Redford on Hulu.

Really enjoyed it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Compa ... eep_(film)

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Last night I watched the documentary "WBCN and the American Revolution" on Amazon. https://www.pbs.org/show/wbcn-and-american-revolution/
Anybody who, like me, were fortunate to have spent their late teens/early twenties in Boston during the late sixties and early seventies (arguably the most stimulating time to be young in the USA since the original American Revolution) would really appreciate this film. It brought back a lot of fond memories. Twentieth century history buffs, and rock and rollers, will also appreciate it.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I watched "The Apartment" a few nights ago. A mild romantic movie. Last night it was "Lost in Las Vegas" with Nicholas Cage; a real downer about a man who wanted to drink himself to death after a divorce and losing his son.
4ransom

Post by 4ransom »

Loved Jesse Stone, I would grab a drink of scotch, collect my dog an enjoy the show.
shabob

Post by shabob »

Last night I rewatched Wreck It Ralph with the kids. One of my favorites.
Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 »

Edge of the World.
Was pretty good.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Enjoyed "TAR" on blu-ray from Netflix last night. It reminded me a little of Black Swan and just as well done both in the cinematography and acting.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

I just watched Tetris, which came out yesterday on Apple TV+. It was great.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Meru - a 2015 documentary film chronicling the first ascent of the "Shark's Fin" route on Meru Peak in the Indian Himalayas. It's available for free on several streaming channels.

My wife and I enjoyed it. Climbing the mountain was an amazing feat that took place in a spectacular setting. The side stories about the climbers are interesting too, especially the the ones delving into the mental and physical trauma in their past.

My thoughts on people married with children doing something so dangerous detracted from my enjoyment of the film a little bit.

Here's a trailer https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2545428/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, $3.99 rental on Amazon, rated R, Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, written by Charlie Kaufman, 2004, drama / romance / sci-fi. A couple undergoes a medical procedure to have each other erased from their memories forever. The only sci-fi aspect is the mind erasing technique - which isn't all that much. I haven't seen Jim Carrey in a serious role and he plays it well.

There is an interesting mix of plots that creates an underlying tension between them. Well acted and produced, this movie won a bunch of awards. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

We actually went to a real movie theater and saw "The Lost King". The story of a amateur historian that uses her research and trusts her instincts to convince the academics that she knows the location where King Richard III is really buried at. Interesting on many levels, especially how the "amateur" has the doors shut at every turn and is not taken seriously. We really enjoyed it.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

Last night, we watched The Ten Commandments (1956) on abc. We finished it this morning.

We have watched Ratatouille more than 40 times this year alone. :D :D :D
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

livelovelaugh00 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:24 pm Last night, we watched The Ten Commandments (1956) on abc. We finished it this morning.

We have watched Ratatouille more than 40 times this year alone. :D :D :D
I always enjoy both of those movies!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

Bob the Gambler. a classic French Noir. Pleasant to watch. It was supposed to be classic cinema. It was good but I expected more.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

John Wick: Chapter 4. Pretty much what you'd expect in a JW movie. Tons of action. It's long, 2 hrs and 49 minutes. The storyline is decent and I was impressed by the cinematography. Overall very solid movie. It's my fav one of the JW series.

Francis
Last edited by fsrph on Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

"The Westerner" - I really enjoyed this western. IMDb 7.3

"Judge Roy Bean, a self-appointed hanging judge in Vinegarroon, Texas, befriends saddle tramp Cole Harden, who opposes Bean's policy against homesteaders."

Gary Cooper - Cole Harden
Walter Brennan - Judge Roy Bean (Oscar winner for this role)
Doris Davenport - Jane Ellen Mathews
Fred Stone - Caliphet Mathews
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:47 pm "The Westerner" - I really enjoyed this western. IMDb 7.3

"Judge Roy Bean, a self-appointed hanging judge in Vinegarroon, Texas, befriends saddle tramp Cole Harden, who opposes Bean's policy against homesteaders."

I enjoyed this film too. I loved Judge Bean’s obsession with Lillie Langtry.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

I'm a devotee of the uncanny X-men comics and finally saw Days of Future Past. That and First Class have been the only ones I really like.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:16 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:47 pm "The Westerner" - I really enjoyed this western. IMDb 7.3

I enjoyed this film too. I loved Judge Bean’s obsession with Lillie Langtry.
I know! I've never seen that in a movie before LOL.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I saw the new movie AIR at a sneak preview. Nike's basketball division pursues a partnership with rookie Michael Jordan. It stars Matt Damon, Viola Davis and Ben Affleck. The latter also directed. Very entertaining. Recommended.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

bob60014 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:52 am We actually went to a real movie theater and saw "The Lost King". The story of a amateur historian that uses her research and trusts her instincts to convince the academics that she knows the location where King Richard III is really buried at. Interesting on many levels, especially how the "amateur" has the doors shut at every turn and is not taken seriously. We really enjoyed it.
Sally Hawkins was very good in that.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Saw "Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves" at the theater over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. I've played D&D off and on very casually over the last 20 years and the movie strikes a balance between getting too "into the rules" and having fun, which I appreciated.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Last night DW and I, along with a long-time friend, saw Andrea Bocelli's movie The Journey.

It is very rare DW will go to a movie, but Bocelli is one of her favorites. Earlier this year she attended a Bocelli concert with a daughter.

https://www.tbn.org/blog/journey-andrea-bocelli

Very limited release, excellent movie.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

Last night, DH and I watched Son of God (2014). Love it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Django Unchained on Blu-Ray DVD, rated R, 2012, Jamie Fox, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, directed by Quentin Tarantino, drama / western. With help from a bounty hunter, a freed slave goes off in search for his wife. It's classic Quentin Tarantino. This movie won several awards. I liked it.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Historical dramas:

Dr Zhivago
Reds
The Last Emperor
Barbara
Home Fires
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You may have intended your post for this thread: Favorite Movies - Name Five
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Pinball: The Man Who Saved The Game, $6.99 rental on Amazon Prime, Mike Faist, comedy / drama. A writer and pinball fanatic discovers that pinball is illegal in NY City. Encouraged by the high rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I gave it shot. It's a personal biography of what happened in the 1970's told as an interview. The dialog and production is very good and the movie kept my attention the entire time. It's light-hearted and easy to watch. The movie won a few awards. I liked it.

The $6.99 rental gave me pause - but I had a $1.50 credit.
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

House Party. I thought it was funny. I was hooked.
hotajax

Post by hotajax »

On April 15, I watched The Accountant.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

hotajax wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:22 pm On April 15, I watched The Accountant.
Ben Affleck was born for that part.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Renfield in theaters. Nic Cage chews up the scenery and spits the bloody pieces into your face in this darkly humorous, insanely gory telling of how his thrall reclaims his power over his narcissistic “boss”. Had a great time, but not for those that don’t like huge spays of blood, beheadings, dismemberment etc. Had a great time.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:07 pm
hotajax wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:22 pm On April 15, I watched The Accountant.
Ben Affleck was born for that part.
I agree. "The Accountant" was very good. Costarring Anna Kendrick and J.K. Simmons.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

We watched The Menu last night. A new comedy horror film that was well reviewed on Netflix. It is about a Master Chef and a multi course meal he presents to a rich group on an island. The plot, if there was one, was lacking for me and my wife (age 62). Take it off the menu please. Netflix gimme my $2 back.

Looking forward to seeing “Air”.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Cocaine Bear, I do not recommend. This movie is maybe 5% based on a true story, 95% wildly embellished.

Poor production and special effects, this movie looks like it was made in the 80’s.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
thedaybeforetoday

Post by thedaybeforetoday »

Vengeance on recent plane ride.
Surprisingly good. Don't judge by title.
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them." R. Dangerfield