What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MDfan

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MDfan »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:08 am
MDfan wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:23 am
jjunk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:51 pm Creeed III in IMAX. If you liked the other films, you'll like this one as well. I enjoyed it and it had a better storyline than I was anticipating. Jonathan Majors was an excellent villain and the boxing scenes were intense.
Really liked Creed III. Better than 2, not quite as good as 1. But very entertaining.
Just watched Creed II yesterday on Amazon. Mediocre, at best.
Creed II is definitely the worst of the 3. Creed was really good and Creed 3 was not as good as 1, but better than 2.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

jjunk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:51 pm Creeed III in IMAX. If you liked the other films, you'll like this one as well. I enjoyed it and it had a better storyline than I was anticipating. Jonathan Majors was an excellent villain and the boxing scenes were intense.
Really liked Creed III. Better than 2, not quite as good as 1. But very entertaining.
Creed II is definitely the worst of the 3. Creed was really good and Creed 3 was not as good as 1, but better than 2.
Circe

Post by Circe »

"The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" was on TCM tonight. It's a musical romance/drama. I had tried to watch it another time but just wasn't in the mood. It's a friend's favorite movie who urged me to see the whole movie. It's unusual because there is no spoken dialog -- the entire dialog is sung in French with English subtitles. It's from 1964 and was nominated for 5 Academy Awards; won none although it won the French equivalent. It introduced Catherine Deneuve as a teen.

The director of LaLa Land had said that this film influenced that film; it shows. I'd rather watch LaLa Land (although I have friends who hated that movie when we saw it in the theater -- I didn't like it much the first time but it grew on me later).
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Velvet Underground (2021) directed and written by Todd Haynes

The Velvet Underground explores the multiple threads that converged to bring together one of the most influential bands in rock and roll. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7230750/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Two hour documentary of the famous band. I learned more about the band and enjoyed seeing the rare footage. It includes interviews with the surviving members (of which there are only two, John Cale and Moe Tucker) and Lou Reed’s sister, also various musicians and Warhol Factory hangers-on. Recommended if you like the band (I do).

I streamed it on Apple TV+
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Kagord wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:34 am
Random Musings wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:12 pm Since my better half went to bed early one night, I decided to watch This is Spinal Tap since it has been a while.

7.9/11 on IMDb.

RM
Why not just make the rating scale 1-10 and reduce your rating to 6.8?
Clearly someone who has never met Nigel T. :D
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Everything Everywhere All at Once, watched last night. Me and SO (both very math, engineering, analytic brains) thought it was very bizarre and maybe a little creepy weird in some spots. Not sure if there was a deeper meaning other than about the relationships, we really didn't get. If anyone can explain more about the movie or why it was so lauded maybe we will be able to think back and understand it better?
Wondering if anyone else had the same reaction to it or is it just us?
theac

Post by theac »

I watched "Everything Everywhere All at Once" for a 2nd time last night, and noticed a lot of little details that I sort of missed the 1st time around. I really didn't think I was going to watch it all the way thru for a 2nd time, but once it got started I just let it run, and didn't see any reason to skip anything. I'd say I liked it more the 2nd time.

I really don't know what to say about it. Yeah it's a weird movie.
How about it's a spoof of the Comedic Cosmic Spoof we're all caught up in?
Or maybe someone else will come up with a good summation?

I posted this a while back about how I came to watch it after I had already decided not to, and how it was that Quantum Physicist's article that runner26 posted a link to that tilted me back into watching it.
theac wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:50 pm
runner26 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:45 am I have always been intrigued by quantum physics and saw it in Everything Everywhere All at Once, which I did like. So I searched and found this, it doesn't give much away, but may help those who haven't seen it yet follow.

Everything Everywhere All at Once, explained by a quantum physicist
https://www.vox.com/culture/23024945/ev ... -physicist
I'm really glad you posted this. I had wanted to see this movie when I first heard of it, and with a title like that, "Everything Everywhere All at Once," how can you not? Plus it had an 8/10 on IMDb.

But then before I got a chance to see it, I read so many negative views on it that I ended up dropping it from my list.

Then I read the article you linked, and decided I better give it a try after all.
Turns out I liked it a lot, and it held my attention thru-out. It's a good (and funny) attempt at trying to describe the indescribable.

I do find it comical that every day there are people in white coats trying to fit the universe onto a glass slide (figuratively speaking) so that they can see it under a microscope, and "figure it out objectively." As if that were possible.

So what better subject for a comedy than the way it was presented in this movie.
I did think the ending got a bit mushy, but better that than everybody chopping each other up and eating themselves, right? :shock:

So yeah, everybody's gotta see things for themselves to decide what's what.

Maybe watching something like this could help with a different outlook on a movie such as this "Everywhere Everything All at Once":
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21062540/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" :D Shakespeare
P.S. The ending didn't seem "so mushy" the 2nd time around as it had seemed to be the 1st time.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Thank you for sharing the link, we will take a look at this and watch it again. SO is a huge Sci-Fi fan and was a physics major undergrad! Hoping it will make more sense, really wanted to like it!
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

557880yvi wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:55 am Everything Everywhere All at Once, watched last night. Me and SO (both very math, engineering, analytic brains) thought it was very bizarre and maybe a little creepy weird in some spots. Not sure if there was a deeper meaning other than about the relationships, we really didn't get. If anyone can explain more about the movie or why it was so lauded maybe we will be able to think back and understand it better?
If you didn't get it, you probably won't.

It's about generational trauma and the attempt by both mother and daughter to resolve those issues at the precipice of disaster (possible Suicide). The writers and directors reach both the younger and older audience by combining the use of older and newer cinematic attraction (mystic martial arts and multiverse theory), as well as comedy and drama.

Excellent film! However, I thought "The Whale" was better, straight drama (also parent, child relationship mending).
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

It's about generational trauma and the attempt by both mother and daughter to resolve those issues at the precipice of disaster (possible Suicide). The writers and directors reach both the younger and older audience by combining the use of older and newer cinematic attraction (mystic martial arts and multiverse theory), as well as comedy and drama.

Excellent film! However, I thought "The Whale" was better, straight drama (also parent, child relationship mending).
[/quote]

Will be watching "The Whale" next. We did get the theme but thought that the techniques to reach the likely younger audience (mystic martial arts and multiverse theory) distracted from the story and acting and neither of us thought there was anything funny or dramatic. Can see how fans of the Marvel series and gamers would have a better understanding of the multiverse! But movies rarely have appeal to all and it did cause you to think. Thanks for your insight.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

"Elizabeth Harvest" on Tubi.

What happens if you wake wake up as a clone?

The story has a few holes, but over all I found it interesting and accessible. It is filmed in Columbia, so the scenery was new to me.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

retireIn2020 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:50 am
557880yvi wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:55 am Everything Everywhere All at Once, watched last night. Me and SO (both very math, engineering, analytic brains) thought it was very bizarre and maybe a little creepy weird in some spots. Not sure if there was a deeper meaning other than about the relationships, we really didn't get. If anyone can explain more about the movie or why it was so lauded maybe we will be able to think back and understand it better?

Of the handful of people I've talked to about this film, two walked out and two others said about half the theater did and they probably should have too. Reading the synopsis, I probably would have walked out myself, but to each their own. I just assume that I won't like any film that gets acclaim from critics these days.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

557880yvi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:46 am If you didn't get it, you probably won't.

I too really liked EEAO but I thought it was deeper than that (although that is deep). There are at least 3 deep themes running through the movie that normally only has space for 1 but with the multiverse…. Anyways, I thought the other 2 themes that I found deep and engaging were the constant push and pull from one generation to the next to the next with social norms. The inability for the protagonist to discuss her daughter’s relationship with her dad was something I can relate to. I am near 50 years old so there have been times where my parents ask are my kids dating anybody. this is a hard discussion tbh - like dating is different today than it was when I was growing up and clearly different than my immigrant parents who had an arranged marriage. Maybe that is a cultural thing and it is easier for others to discuss LGBTQ relationships of their kids with their own elderly parents but I have found that it seems to be tough for everybody. What makes it worse is that nobody is happy with that situation - middle age me, my child, my parents no matter the orientation of the relationship. The second theme was the myriad of choices we think at the time are insignificant but can have outsized effects on the outcomes of our lives. I met my spouse in medical school. I was admitted off the wait list the day classes started and found a sublease at the last minute. by happenstance I lived just down the street from another medical student who I ended up dating and marrying. I often wonder how different my life would be if one person did not drop out of the medical school class in 1996 and I would not have been called…. Anyways - there are a lot of instances like these - choosing to go to grad school over med school or working at PPG in Pittsburgh instead of working near where I grew up in Michigan after I graduated from undergrad. Or spending more time with my grandfather before he passed in 2007 instead of being so career focused. Just deep thoughts which brings lots of emotions…
anil686

Post by anil686 »

MDfan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:35 pm
+1 - saw Creed III last night and liked it. Not as good as 1 as you said but better than 2. Of course niche movie for people who like the Rocky series. Was very impressed with the writing considering Stallone did not contribute to the writing of this one. Was happy to hear that Michael B. Jordan said that there will be a Creed IV in the works….
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Circe wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:19 pm "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" was on TCM tonight. It's a musical romance/drama. I had tried to watch it another time but just wasn't in the mood. It's a friend's favorite movie who urged me to see the whole movie. It's unusual because there is no spoken dialog -- the entire dialog is sung in French with English subtitles. It's from 1964 and was nominated for 5 Academy Awards; won none although it won the French equivalent. It introduced Catherine Deneuve as a teen.

The director of LaLa Land had said that this film influenced that film; it shows. I'd rather watch LaLa Land (although I have friends who hated that movie when we saw it in the theater -- I didn't like it much the first time but it grew on me later).
I like musicals but a movie where the entire dialog (whether in French or English)
is sung is annoying. I am a fan of Catherine Deneuve but even her presence will
not work for me in a singing dialog movie.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:32 am RRR on Netflix, not rated, N.T. Rama Rao Jr., Ram Charan, 2022, action / adventure / drama. A fictitious story about two revolutionaries and their journey which incited them to start a revolution in the 1920s. The story revolves around British occupied India.

I started watching this and was wondering what to make of it. After a very short time, all I could think of was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon meets Gandhi, the musical." The movie is 3 hours long. Was it too long? No. Just think of it as entertainment and watch. Excellent.
Just finished this and your description is apt. I'm not a big fan of Bollywood films. I really liked the action scenes but the sappier musical/dance side wasn't my cup of tea. Some of the emotional stuff was a bit over the top too, for me at least. Kinda neat that the movie is like a variety show, there's something for everyone!

Not sure why but the Indian actor's dialogue seemed not be synchronized with their lips no matter what language I tried (Hindi, English, Portuguese, etc). The British actors was better but not perfect either.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Waking Ned Devine, on Amazon Prime.

We watched in St. Patrick's Day. Fifty two residents of a coastal Irish village conspire to cash a winning lottery ticket, after the man who bought the ticket has died of shock.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Going to watch "The Whale" ... trailer looks excellent.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Trailer for Phoenix, with Nina Hoess.
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:59 am

Of the handful of people I've talked to about this film, two walked out and two others said about half the theater did and they probably should have too. Reading the synopsis, I probably would have walked out myself, but to each their own. I just assume that I won't like any film that gets acclaim from critics these days.
Which Film are you talking about? "Everything Everywhere All at Once" or "The Whale"?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

News of the World, $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime, rated PG-13, Tom Hanks, 2020, action / adventure / drama. A civil war veteran takes a girl to her aunt and uncle in south Texas. I would call this more of a serious drama. Tom Hanks makes this movie. I liked it.

Amazon Prime also offers this movie free with ads, but I don't want to watch a movie interrupted with ads.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
theac

Post by theac »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:26 am News of the World, $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime, rated PG-13, Tom Hanks, 2020, action / adventure / drama. A civil war veteran takes a girl to her aunt and uncle in south Texas. I would call this more of a serious drama. Tom Hanks makes this movie. I liked it.

Amazon Prime also offers this movie free with ads, but I don't want to watch a movie interrupted with ads.
I also liked that movie. It left me wondering if people really did get a lot their news like that, and if someone could really make a living back then out of delivering the latest news like shown in the movie.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

retireIn2020 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:42 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:59 am

Which Film are you talking about? "Everything Everywhere All at Once" or "The Whale"?
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Perhaps, EEAO was meant to appeal to wider audiences. It's akin to eloquently writing recursion algorithms for years prior, and then watching Inception, and saying, "What's the big deal here?".

If you want a movie that actually requires at least 2 of the 3 traits you list to discuss and attempt (I don't say this lightly) to comprehend what you just watched, I recommend Primer (2004).
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“A Family Man” with Gerard Butler on Tubi.

Enjoyed it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Family_Man

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Kagord wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:58 am If you want a movie that actually requires at least 2 of the 3 traits you list to discuss and attempt (I don't say this lightly) to comprehend what you just watched, I recommend Primer (2004).
Thanks! A sci-fi movie about engineers? Count me in. It's showing as a $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime. I'll probably watch it next weekend. Ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB look OK. It's also mentioned in this thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Star Wars, A New Hope. Again. My soon-to-be three year old granddaughter wants to watch it every single time she comes to visit me. I am a Star Wars fan, but I can honestly say that after having watched Star Wars about 10 times over the past three weeks, I'm ready for a break. I tried introducing her to The Phantom Menace, but she told me "that's not Star Wars." My husband agrees with her. :D
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Son of Flubber, 1963, Disney, sequel to The Absent Minded Professor. Fred MacMurray, Nancy Olsen, Tommy Kirk, Keenan Wynn, Ed Wynn. Some "critics" have said over the years that it's a letdown from the original. IMO, it's quite the equal, and has many of its own moments.

A fascinating bit of trivia to me is that the IRS agent (Mr. Harker) that puts in an appearance early in the movie is portrayed by Bob Sweeny. He achieved TV immortality by directing some 100 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, almost all of the first three seasons. Also notable is the bouncing baby seen early in the movie is Walt Disney's grandson, Walter Elias Disney (WED) Miller.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Saving Grace (1986)

I remember first seeing this film in the 1980s and have thought in
the years since it was underrated and overlooked. A benevolent
and down-to-earth Pope has become somewhat detached from
the outside world after being exclusively in the Vatican for his
first year.
While gardening in his non-papal apparel, he is accidently locked
out of the Vatican complex. He first wanders about Rome then to
a village in the countryside. His associates are beside themselves
trying to cover up his absence but he does contact them occasionally
by phone to say he is ok and has a mission to accomplish. Great story.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
Not to be confused with We Have a Pope (2011), also a good movie
about a missing Pope,
Last edited by wilson08 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 3000 »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:41 pm Star Wars, A New Hope. Again. My soon-to-be three year old granddaughter wants to watch it every single time she comes to visit me. I am a Star Wars fan, but I can honestly say that after having watched Star Wars about 10 times over the past three weeks, I'm ready for a break. I tried introducing her to The Phantom Menace, but she told me "that's not Star Wars." My husband agrees with her. :D
Maybe she'll like Attack of the Clones. I'm a Star Wars fan but A New Hope is the one I rewatch the least.

Post by 3000 »

Tristan + Isolde, 2006, it was a nice romantic movie.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I re-watched "American President" for the sixth(?) time or so.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I re-watched "The American President" for the sixth(?) time or so. It was just as good as I remembered.
Starring Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, and Martin Sheen.

I didn't get bored, had no temptation to fast-forward (except for commercials), and savored each scene.
Incredibly well-written by Aaron Sorkin and exquisite directorial pace by Rob Reiner.
And it didn't even matter whether I agreed with the politics!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/american_president 91% 77%
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Gimme Shelter (1970) documentary of the Altamont Free Concert held 06 Dec 1969 headlined by The Rolling Stones, the final stop of their 1969 American tour

When three hundred thousand members of the Love Generation collided with a few dozen Hells Angels at the Altamont Speedway, the bloody slash that transformed a decade's dreams into disillusionment was immortalized in this film. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065780/pl ... _=tt_ov_pl

Grace Slick and Mick Jagger pleading with the crowd for peace. One scene I found amusing was with the look of utter revulsion and incredulity on an Angel’s face as he watched Mick dance and sing on stage. Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
matti

Post by matti »

I watched Bloody Summer Camp earlier this week and really enjoyed it. It pays homage to the classic 1980s summer camp slasher movies; it has some pretty funny moments (as well as a lot of gore).
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Don’t Look Back (1967) — a film by D.A. Pennebaker

Documentary covering Bob Dylan's 1965 tour of England, his last acoustic tour, which includes appearances by Joan Baez and Donovan.

I’ve seen the film several times before but never with commentary, provided by the director and Bob Neuwirth in 1999. It’s fun watching Donovan and Dylan trading songs in a hotel room. It includes Alan Price of The Animals.

There are several shorter outtake reels available also on The Criterion Channel.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Black Orpheus (1959, Brazil, subtitled) Breno Mello, Marpessa Dawn

A retelling of the Orpheus and Eurydice myth, set during the time of the Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053146/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

This film won Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards and numerous other accolades. Music by famed composer Antônio Carlos Jobim of The Girl From Ipanema fame as well as by Luiz Bonfá. The world first learned of and fell in love with samba and bossa nova from this film.

A perhaps simplistic plot but with beautiful cinematography of the marvelous city. The actor playing Orpheus was a soccer player, not an actor, when chosen for the role. Brazilians complained that the film made it look like they just party all the time (which isn’t true)! I enjoyed it.

I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
plumberboy

Post by plumberboy »

Just recently watched Shutter Island for the third time. Excellent movie. If you enjoy movies with a twist this is a must see.
Arboecars

Post by Arboecars »

We just saw “The Quiet Girl” at the local film institute. It was pure joy. The film was an Oscar nominee and received great reviews and a great Rotten Tomatoes 96% approval rating based on reviews from 97 critics, with an average rating of 8.7/10. The website's consensus reads, "A remarkable debut for writer-director Colm Bairéad, The Quiet Girl offers a deceptively simple reminder that the smallest stories can leave a large emotional impact." On Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 88 out of 100 based on 24 critic reviews. Simply a wonderful experience!
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Independence Day - Resurgence on Hulu.

Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independe ... Resurgence

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

MHZ Choice

Nordic Noir genre

1. Grey Zone
2. Spring Tide

Grey Zone: cutting edge drone controller at the center of terrorist kidnapping plot. Swedish/Danish 1 season

Spring Tide: Swedish police university student and retired cop come together to solve 25 year old cold case. 2 seasons

Both well done.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I didn't like it. I don't enjoy movies (or TV shows) where I have to go to the internet to figure out what the heck was happening. I didn't walk out, but it was a very long almost 3 hours. My tastes are much more low-brow. I much preferred Top Gun- Maverick, Avatar, and Banshees of Insherin of the Best Picture nominees.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Everything Everywhere All at Once

It was free. My wife thought it was strange. I thought it was bad science fiction, although some of the scenes were entertaining and amusing.

At least the popcorn and drinks were cheap.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021) Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand, directed by Joel Coen

A Scottish lord becomes convinced by a trio of witches that he will become the next King of Scotland, and his ambitious wife supports him in his plans of seizing power. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10095582/? ... _sr_srsg_3

First directorial effort of Joel Coen without his brother. Based on the play by Wm. Shakespeare (of course). Stark and ethereal, almost spiritual. Shot in B&W. A standout performance by Denzel Washington. I have difficulty following Shakespeare’s plays as the Elizabethan language throws me. I’m going to have to watch this film several more times to absorb the full impact. I streamed it on Apple TV+
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Just finished "Clue ". It was too confusing for my addled mind. We also watched "Barry Lyndon" . I must say I was disappointed with its length and obvious anti-Irish subject matter. I don’t think Thackeray liked the Irish.
We’ve discovered Jesse Stone movies! We saw three or 4 on Amazon prime and I’ve ordered another five from the library. I enjoyed Magnum PI back in the day. I do find it funny that all these younger women are throwing themselves on the alcoholic police chief. It never happened to me. Maybe because I am a foot shorter than Tom Selleck and sans mustache. :beer
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

"The Hangover" along with Hangover 2 and 3 with Bradly Cooper - and I would watch a 4th if ever produce fun movie - looks like something based on "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" for those who are old enough to remember the print story. Probably more of a guys movie.

"This is Where I Leave You" good entertainment from front to back - very enjoyable. Good husband & wife entertainment.

"Pinocchio" good animation and I was entertained throughout. PG and mostly for kids.

All on Netflix
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:50 am Black Orpheus (1959, Brazil, subtitled) Breno Mello, Marpessa Dawn

A retelling of the Orpheus and Eurydice myth, set during the time of the Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053146/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

This film won Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards and numerous other accolades. Music by famed composer Antônio Carlos Jobim of The Girl From Ipanema fame as well as by Luiz Bonfá. The world first learned of and fell in love with samba and bossa nova from this film.

A perhaps simplistic plot but with beautiful cinematography of the marvelous city. The actor playing Orpheus was a soccer player, not an actor, when chosen for the role. Brazilians complained that the film made it look like they just party all the time (which isn’t true)! I enjoyed it.

I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
I watched this film many years ago and don't remember much except for the extraordinary, sweeping view of the bay and Sugarloaf Mountain that the villagers had.

I did (just now) read some of the criticism as summarized in Wikipedia and I have to agree that the portrayals were a bit simplistic. But the film was produced in 1959 and I guess that would be par for the course. Foreign media has gotten a lot more realistic since then.

Yep, samba is great and bossa nova was cool and chill, until it became elevator music.
Nightowl99

Post by Nightowl99 »

Navalny--an Oscar winning documentary about Putin's political rival--the one he tried to poison a few years ago. If free elections were allowed in Russia, this guy would probably win and end the war in Ukraine. Just wishful thinking on my part....

Post by 123 »

I sometimes watch movies to appreciate the cinematography, special effects, set decoration, or elements not related to the actors, characters, or plot.

That said I recently watched Triangle of Sadness and Babylon and found both of them utter wastes of time. They have been portrayed as dark/black comedies but I found little of interest in them. They both utilized a particularly obnoxious effect of characters vomiting. Maybe that would be entertaining if you were 9 years old. Enough said.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Ford Vs Ferrari
Watched for second time. Many parts I did not remember.
It was really good, and I might watch it again down the road.
I give it a 10
Dan 999
Dan999