What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 »

[This thread is intended for movies from any source, e.g. DVD, in-person, or streaming. If it has more than one episode, such as a TV show, post in [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Please mention how you saw the movie (DVD, in-person, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.). --admin LadyGeek]

[To keep this on topic, please include whether you would recommend it in your replies - admin alex]

Bogleheads,

Based on the success of the mega thread "What Book Are You Currently Reading?", I would like to start a new thread related to movies that Bogleheads could share with each other. Many of us have Netflix, Crackle, or another streaming service.

Best.
Last edited by abuss368 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Austintatious

Re: What Movie Have You Currently Watched?

Post by Austintatious »

Last film I saw was The Grand Budapest Hotel. I thought it was lot's of fun and I'd recommend it. Be aware that profanity is taken to the professional blasphemer's level. Used RedBox and cost $1.50
Last edited by Austintatious on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Just watched Moonrise Kingdom last night and loved it. It is by Wes Anderson who also did the recent Grand Budapest Hotel which I also enjoyed. I saw it for $1 at home via Amazon Prime.

In the theaters, I recently saw Boyhood which was also great.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

GotG.
I know nothing!
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I watched Arnold Schwarzenegger's new film "Sabotage". If you are an Arnold fan, I recommend it.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

How about, Last Good Movie? It's been quite a while for me...
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

snyder66 wrote:How about, Last Good Movie? It's been quite a while for me...
Hi snyder66,

I understand. I was thinking the last movie and if you recommend it or not. Good, Bad, Right, Wrong.

Best.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

snyder66 wrote:How about, Last Good Movie? It's been quite a while for me...
Not a feel good movie, but and ending you will not forget. Calvary. Visuals of Ireland are great, filmed on location.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Just finished Season 1 of "The Blacklist" with James Spader. If you are a Spader fan, don't miss it.
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

Just watched Man on Wire on netflix. Great documentary that is not so serious.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Get On Up. Chadwick Boseman stars as James Brown. Great music and a sensational central performance.

Highly recommended.
bs010101

Re: What Movie Have You [Recently] Watched?

Post by bs010101 »

Recently saw The Company Men - I think I heard of it from this site but not sure. Good sobering reminder to live within/below your means.
windaar

Post by windaar »

Recently saw Richard Linklater's "Boyhood" at the theater and was blown away. I hope that this is considered for an Oscar. It took 12 years to film this story of a boy growing from 6 to 18 years old. Many flourishes that remind the viewer of Linklater's past films such as "Slacker" and "Dazed and Confused." Moving and compelling. My highest recommendation possible.
Nobody knows nothing.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Recommend "Labor Day" and a Japanese animation " Grave of the Fireflys " .
All the Best, | Joe
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I watch a lot of movies, last 'good' move was probably lone survivor.
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

+1 on Boyhood in the theater now.

Remembered another great documentary on Netflix - Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It is about personal continuous improvement but ver interesting.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Redwood Highway ,with Tom Skerritt,Shirley Knight on Netflix,heartwarming ,recommend.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I rarely watch American films but I gave in to the in-flight entertainment on my recent flight from Europe. The best of the films was The Monuments Men about a group of Americans, Brits and French rescuing art objects expropriated by the Nazis during the WW2 occupation.

In addition to being well made, the film was relevant because it provided the bigger, ageless, perspective on life and was congruous with the art I was exposed to in Swiss museums.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
davebarnes

One Hundred Foot Journey

Post by davebarnes »

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-h ... urney-2014
Enjoyed it very much.
Recommended.
Made me hungry.
A nerd living in Denver
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Lego Movie.

We found it surprisingly good. Perhaps I should say "Awesome!" to keep in the spirit of the movie.

It is one of those "made for children but with lots to keep adults entertained" movies. It makes you wonder if you really are an adult!

I would NOT recommend it for young children (under 6 or 7 perhaps) as it may get them too excited. Ironically, although it may over-excite them they will probably lose interest before it is over. So if you have an over-active youngster I say pass on this.

Recommended for adults and older children with a reasonable attention span. it will put you all in a happy mood! You WILL want to watch the theme song's music video in the special features. Other special features are interesting as well.
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
midareff

Post by midareff »

We generally go to the movies every week, catching a week day pre noon show at the recently raised "early bird" price of $6.50 a ticket. :mrgreen: It was Expendables III last week, which while certainly not laden with deep meaning was quite entertaining. A late lunch/early dinner out always follows. I'm guessing November Man will be this coming week's pick.

EDIT NOTE: November Man it was and was enjoyable as well. We have also recently seen A Walk Among the Tombstones, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Maze Runner and the The Equalizer. We enjoyed all of them, especially The Equalizer.
Last edited by midareff on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I have recently been watching some sci-fi movies based on a listing of showings from a film festival recently held in NY. Of the ones I've watched so far I particularly liked a 1986 Russian film titled Kin-Dza-Dza.

It's basically about the adventures of a Russian and a Georgian who are transported semi-accidentally to a desert planet, and in particular their efforts to get home. It's a dystopic black comedy cult film (sort of fits Russia I think). Apparently the props and effects were improvised during the shooting of the film, which really fits well with the dystopic theme. There is quite a bit of what I interpreted as political satire in it, although I'm not knowledgeable enough about Soviet era Russian culture to know for sure.

There is a sound track in English that I would strongly recommend avoiding. It's sort of a voice-over. Stick with the regular subtitles and you will be fine.

A lot of the dialog revolves around the language of the inhabitants of the desert planet. A simple vocabulary is:

Koo — Most words
Kyu (pronounced kyew) — any profanity

It was 135 minutes long in two parts spanning 2 DVDs. It could probably have done just as well at 100 minutes.
bpp

Post by bpp »

joe8d wrote:a Japanese animation " Grave of the Fireflys " .
Haven't seen it, but knowing what it's about, it must be fairly depressing?
Last edited by bpp on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tacster

Post by tacster »

"The Short Game"

Highly recommended even if you're not a golf fan.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I read the book "Heaven is for Real". last night my wife and I watched the movie. I highly recommend both.
Have a great week ahead,
Don
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Maleficient, not quite what I expected from disney, good family entertainment.

I also have seen Heaven is for Real; it's harmless.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

It poured last night so caught up on Netflix
House of Cards -- very good political series

Glengarry Glen Ross, a simpler time when scams were done by guys in a boiler room in NY rather than large scale over the internet;
(if you have never seen it - HIGHLY recommended - Al Pacino, Jack Lemon, Kevin Spacey, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, and Ed Harris - great cast, great material - 7.9 on IMBD, I would have given it a 8+)

and watching Unknown tonight - a bizarre whodunit/why thriller
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

I had never heard of the 2013 movie Prisoners before I watched it the other night, but it was really pretty good. Rated 82% on Rotten Tomatoes, by the way. Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal star in the movie.

I wanted to add that over the last couple of decades, I've had to set my bar pretty low.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Heaven is for real

The last movie I watched was Heaven is for real - good movie, recommended for the whole family, and what a coincidence, I watched that movie in July 2014 while on travel for a funeral.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Ged

Post by Ged »

bpp wrote:
It is. It is also one of the best animated films ever made. 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. If you are willing to let a film evoke these sorts of feelings I would highly recommend it.

Read some reviews first. There are some strong cultural notes that make it easy to misunderstand the director's message.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Last one I saw in the theater was Jersey Boys. I was never a big fan of the Four Seasons growing up, but I had enjoyed the live musical (free tickets, why not) and I wanted to see how the movie, directed by Clint Eastwood, compared. Pretty much followed the stage version, but perhaps because it was off the stage and in a real-life setting it lacked the energy of the play. Interestingly, the most energizing number was AFTER the film in a street-set musical number that reintroduced all the characters/actors -- just before the credits.

After watching Jersey Boys I get the urge to re-watch Walk Like a Man, which I have in my Netflix queue. If I ever get to the end of (or give up on) binge watching Midsomer Murders, maybe I'll get back to Netflix movies. I wonder if Boyhood will show up on Netflix cuz I'm probably going to miss it at the theater.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Haven't watched many movies this year, maybe only three so far. Most recent was Chungking Express, a 1994 Hong Kong movie. I enjoyed it and it's free on youtube.

Looking forward to watching Boyhood in the theater this week.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

We have recently watched a couple of Netflix sub-titled foreign movies. One was a 1997 German film "Comedian Harmonists". We were inspired to view this film by the recent Barry Manilow musical "Harmony" that we happened to see about the same 1920's/30's group.

The other was another 2011 German film "Remembrance". It's a WWII to 1970's love story that I thought was a Polish film until I just looked it up.

DW and I liked both of these movies.
JW
Retired at Last
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

VictoriaF wrote:I rarely watch American films but I gave in to the in-flight entertainment on my recent flight from Europe. The best of the films was The Monuments Men about a group of Americans, Brits and French rescuing art objects expropriated by the Nazis during the WW2 occupation.

In addition to being well made, the film was relevant because it provided the bigger, ageless, perspective on life and was congruous with the art I was exposed to in Swiss museums.

Victoria
I saw this as well and really recommend it too!
RobertAlanK

Post by RobertAlanK »

I recently saw A Most Wanted Man, based on the novel by John le Carre. It is an enjoyable film about contemporary intelligence work set in Hamburg. I found it fascinating to watch Philip Seymour Hoffman, and a bit sad to know it was his final performance.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Ged wrote:
bpp wrote:
It is. It is also one of the best animated films ever made. 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. If you are willing to let a film evoke these sorts of feelings I would highly recommend it.

Read some reviews first. There are some strong cultural notes that make it easy to misunderstand the director's message.
+1
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Also wish to add "The Book Thief " to my recommendations.
All the Best, | Joe
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Guardians of the Galaxy

Fun movie, highly recommended.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
The529guy

Post by The529guy »

Her. Weird, but recommended.
Gort

Post by Gort »

"This Gun for Hire" made in 1946. Was on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) last night. TCM is great to catch some of the classics.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Jerrybaby wrote:I had never heard of the 2013 movie Prisoners before I watched it the other night, but it was really pretty good. Rated 82% on Rotten Tomatoes, by the way. Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal star in the movie.

I wanted to add that over the last couple of decades, I've had to set my bar pretty low.

I recommend Prisoners also, but it's one of those movies that is definitely not for the faint of heart. Truly chilling, but perhaps I've said too much.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
denovo

Post by denovo »

RobertAlanK wrote:I recently saw A Most Wanted Man, based on the novel by John le Carre. It is an enjoyable film about contemporary intelligence work set in Hamburg. I found it fascinating to watch Philip Seymour Hoffman, and a bit sad to know it was his final performance.
I recommend this also. Although this won't be his last role, he will be in the last film of the Hunger games trilogy, albiet in a relatively minor role.

I reccomend November Man and Guardians of the Galaxy, although for both, I believe you will only like them if you are predisposed to those genres, spy thrillers and Marvel superhero films, respectively.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Just watched "Reasonable doubt"
It was good, Samuel Jackson is usually a good bet

John
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

My wife and I recently watched a french film called The Intouchables on Netflix. I think it's somewhat old, but excellent and absolutely worth your time.

We also recently watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi. A documentary about a sushi chef totally obsessed with making good sushi. Excellent (and my wife doesn't even like sushi!). Also on Netflix.
ddj

Post by ddj »

Francis Ha.
Streams free on Netflix. It had been in the queue for awhile, DW put it on. It'd thought I'd call it a night, but the movie held me. We found it quirky, enjoyable.
ddj

Post by ddj »

bertie wooster wrote: We also recently watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi. A documentary about a sushi chef totally obsessed with making good sushi. Excellent (and my wife doesn't even like sushi!). Also on Netflix.
+1.
madbrain

Ghostbusters

Post by madbrain »

30th anniversary, remastered in 4K. Just came back from it.

We were a grand total of 4 people (!) in a gigantic XD theater.

I was redeeming some Cinemark prepaid tickets bought at Costco.

The XD is supposed to be extra charge for their premium XD with leather seats, but the clerk didn't know much extra to charge when I redeemed them.

So we got in for no extra. Our printed tickets say "XD senior $7.50". I'm only 38, and not early-retired yet ;).
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

The most recent movie I saw (in a theater) was Blazing Saddles in 1977.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Valuethinker

Re: Ghostbusters

Post by Valuethinker »

madbrain wrote:30th anniversary, remastered in 4K. Just came back from it.

We were a grand total of 4 people (!) in a gigantic XD theater.

I was redeeming some Cinemark prepaid tickets bought at Costco.

The XD is supposed to be extra charge for their premium XD with leather seats, but the clerk didn't know much extra to charge when I redeemed them.

So we got in for no extra. Our printed tickets say "XD senior $7.50". I'm only 38, and not early-retired yet ;).
Oh wow!

'Let's show this b****h how we do things downtown'

'Lennie. This is your opportunity to save the lives of millions of .... registered voters'.

'He slimed me'.

Harold Ramis did a lot of research into extra sensory phenomena and put it into the movie. Although personally they fell out pretty badly I gather, the Ramis-Murray combination (Groundhog Day) was amazingly creative.

It's a pity about the second one. And therefore I am ambivalent that the 3rd was never made.