What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by stoptothink »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:06 am
TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:07 pm
hotajax wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:22 pm On April 15, I watched The Accountant.
Ben Affleck was born for that part.
I agree. "The Accountant" was very good. Costarring Anna Kendrick and J.K. Simmons.
Apparently it has been confirmed that a second one will be made. I like to think that Christian Wolff is the closest representation of my flavor autism, especially when compared to others like the ASD caricatures on "Big Bang Theory".
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Big Night" on DVD from Netflix (RIP this service in Sep 2023). I love chef/restaurant movies and this one didn't disappoint, it's really good on many levels. Loads of big-name actors in it. I will be purchasing a blu-ray copy for my collection.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:37 am "Big Night" on DVD from Netflix (RIP this service in Sep 2023). I love chef/restaurant movies and this one didn't disappoint, it's really good on many levels. Loads of big-name actors in it. I will be purchasing a blu-ray copy for my collection.
Have you watched "Eat Drink Man Women"? I know it has subtitles but the main character has some amazing cooking techniques. The movie has a likable storyline and was directed by Ang Lee long before "Crouching Tiger...", "The Life of Pi" and Brokeback Mountain.
rrt

Post by rrt »

"The Jesus Revolution"

Could have been edited a little tighter but we enjoyed it and the soundtrack is a great flashback.

Watched "The Man Who Saved Pinball" a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed that as well.
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

John Wick 4 in a theater.

For my money, the best in the series is the first film. I do enjoy the ever expanding mythology of the world within the movie but have grown tired of the action scenes which go on forever. Every single set piece was twice as long as it needed to be as was the movie. Props to Chad Stahelski for making some of the best stunt work and fight choreography ever filmed totally boring due to its interminable length. Donnie Yen was the best part. The man is a walking special effect but I'd rather just rewatch Flashpoint or Iron Monkey to get that fix next time. I felt Hiroyuki Sanada was criminally under utilized and the less said about Bill Skarsgard's French accent the better.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:37 am "Big Night" on DVD from Netflix (RIP this service in Sep 2023). I love chef/restaurant movies and this one didn't disappoint, it's really good on many levels. Loads of big-name actors in it. I will be purchasing a blu-ray copy for my collection.
We watched this too about fifteen years ago and enjoyed it.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Next Generation Star Trek movies are now available in 4K. I’m watching those. Worth the upgrade.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Three Coins in the Fountain (1954)

Three American women working in 1950s Rome is the
backdrop for this film that is described (and accurately
so) as a romantic comedy-drama.
Great movie classic.
Viewed on Amazon Prime
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

For all the Millenials on the forum, GO WATCH SUPER MARIO BROS. THE MOVIE!!!!!

The nostalgia is unreal, freaking loved it.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:41 am
I agree. "The Accountant" was very good. Costarring Anna Kendrick and J.K. Simmons.
Apparently it has been confirmed that a second one will be made. I like to think that Christian Wolff is the closest representation of my flavor autism, especially when compared to others like the ASD caricatures on "Big Bang Theory".
It was a very entertaining movie, both wife and I enjoyed it. Having an autistic child, parts were kind of amusing, like the notion that you can break through and toughen the ASD kid with repeated physical abuse (as a child, fight scenes) and then the scene as an adult where it keeps himself mentally tough by popping a Zoloft (not a fast acting med, and probably not a primary med for ASD) then playing extremely loud music and painfully scraping your shins. If only as parents we had thought of this. But I digress….
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

"Bullet Train"
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

"Rye Lane" (2023) on Hulu:

https://www.hulu.com/movie/rye-lane-e32 ... 1d9f44ccc5

A Brit rom-com that is fresh and funny. I hesitate to mention it for fear of spoiling it, but there is a priceless cameo.
If needed, here's the NYT's Critic Choice review:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/30/movi ... eview.html

Recommended.
matti

Post by matti »

I rewatched the original "Friday the 13th" last night. It had been a long since since I've seen it; I'm reminded how much I love it. Many may forget that Jason Vorhees was not the original killer: it was his mom!
RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf »

Watched "The Last Days" -- a documentary produced in 1998 by Steven Spielberg. Difficult to watch, but a must-see for anyone. It shares the life stories of five people in Hungary in 1944 and how they survived.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

Capsu78 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:47 pm
Have you watched "Eat Drink Man Women"? I know it has subtitles but the main character has some amazing cooking techniques. The movie has a likable storyline and was directed by Ang Lee long before "Crouching Tiger...", "The Life of Pi" and Brokeback Mountain.
Eat Drink Man Woman is an excellent movie. Powerful in a quiet way, like many Ang Lee movies. Highly recommend.

Recently watched Puzzle and The Namesake because both star ‎Irrfan Khan, one of my most (recently discovered) favorite actors. Both films are quietly powerful, profound, emotional dramas. Well written, acted and directed.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

turtlebug wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:30 pm
Eat Drink Man Woman is an excellent movie. Powerful in a quiet way, like many Ang Lee movies. Highly recommend.

Recently watched Puzzle and The Namesake because both star ‎Irrfan Khan, one of my most (recently discovered) favorite actors. Both films are quietly powerful, profound, emotional dramas. Well written, acted and directed.
If you like (the late) Irrfan Khan, then you must seek out "The Lunchbox" (2013). I love this movie!
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Working Man" on Prime is a sad little movie about the closing of the last factory in a Rust Belt town that once had 5 major employers, but I am glad I watched it. It devolves into a metal health crisis and it's hard not to have empathy for the characters. It ended up in a place I hadn't considered about halfway through it. Not a date night movie but it is worth watching.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

jginseattle wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:38 am I saw the new movie AIR at a sneak preview. Nike's basketball division pursues a partnership with rookie Michael Jordan. It stars Matt Damon, Viola Davis and Ben Affleck. The latter also directed. Very entertaining. Recommended.

Agree. Very good movie.
nannid

Post by nannid »

Matahari wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:31 am "Rye Lane" (2023) on Hulu:

https://www.hulu.com/movie/rye-lane-e32 ... 1d9f44ccc5

A Brit rom-com that is fresh and funny. I hesitate to mention it for fear of spoiling it, but there is a priceless cameo.
If needed, here's the NYT's Critic Choice review:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/30/movi ... eview.html

Recommended.
Thanks for this recommendation. Not a genre I usually gravitate towards but I really enjoyed this !
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I saw this a long time ago and really enjoyed it.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

Matahari wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:38 pm
turtlebug wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:30 pm

If you like (the late) Irrfan Khan, then you must seek out "The Lunchbox" (2013). I love this movie!
That's the first movie I saw him in and I enjoyed it so much that I started to seek out his other movies. The next two on my list are Paan Singh Tomar and No Bed of Roses.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant. One of the director's best. Jake Gyllenhaal and Dar Salim are excellent. Recommended.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

JBTX wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:44 pm
It was a very entertaining movie, both wife and I enjoyed it. Having an autistic child, parts were kind of amusing, like the notion that you can break through and toughen the ASD kid with repeated physical abuse (as a child, fight scenes) and then the scene as an adult where it keeps himself mentally tough by popping a Zoloft (not a fast acting med, and probably not a primary med for ASD) then playing extremely loud music and painfully scraping your shins. If only as parents we had thought of this. But I digress….
The Accountant, $3.99 rental on Amazon, rated R, Ben Affleck, J. K. Simmons, John Lithgow, 2016, action / thriller. A math savant investigates an accounting discrepancy. I agree that the movie was very entertaining with good acting. It kept my interest the entire time.

Thanks for the explanation of his behavior. It makes sense now, as I didn't understand why he was doing those things.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:21 am

The Accountant, $3.99 rental on Amazon, rated R, Ben Affleck, J. K. Simmons, John Lithgow, 2016, action / thriller. A math savant investigates an accounting discrepancy. I agree that the movie was very entertaining with good acting. It kept my interest the entire time.

Thanks for the explanation of his behavior. It makes sense now, as I didn't understand why he was doing those things.
I’m not sure I articulated my thoughts well. The scenes were amusing in their ridiculousness, in that you don’t try to overstimulate to build up a tolerance per se. You typically do the opposite, avoid or get rid of triggering stimuli, to the extent possible.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Burnt, streaming on Netflix. I usually like chef movies but in my humble opinion this one seemed kind of bland, lazy, and predictable.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

JBTX wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:26 am

I’m not sure I articulated my thoughts well. The scenes were amusing in their ridiculousness, in that you don’t try to overstimulate to build up a tolerance per se. You typically do the opposite, avoid or get rid of triggering stimuli, to the extent possible.
As an autistic person myself, I can confirm this is the case. I actively avoid stimuli when and where I can, I dont seek it out (unless it's something I know I want to do, like a movie). The movie itself was good but the autism representation was more of the tired trope of "math genius" than anything else IMO. That said, I'm looking forward the second one because I found it entertaining, which is all I ask from my movies.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jjunk wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:40 pm
JBTX wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:26 am

As an autistic person myself, I can confirm this is the case. I actively avoid stimuli when and where I can, I dont seek it out (unless it's something I know I want to do, like a movie). The movie itself was good but the autism representation was more of the tired trope of "math genius" than anything else IMO. That said, I'm looking forward the second one because I found it entertaining, which is all I ask from my movies.
I also actively avoid stimuli, places with a lot of people, noise, smells, physical touch, etc. My least favorite places on Earth (Disneyland, NYC, Las Vegas, New Orleans) are places where this stuff cannot be avoided. But, I have conditioned myself to tolerate them and I no longer shutdown or stim out of control as I did when I was a kid. I often speak in front of pretty large crowds (the largest ~30k people a few years ago) and my primary hobby is combat sports (MMA, muay thai, BJJ). I grew up in an environment where fighting was pretty much a necessity. Grappling was really uncomfortable at first, but I just embraced the suck and it has become progressively less uncomfortable over time. Interestingly, one of my professors (one of the first BJJ black belts in the U.S.) is autistic and I'm almost certain one of the best grapplers on the planet (5x IBJJF world champion Mikey Musumeci) also is.

I have a different perspective, I have found that conventional treatment for ASD is pretty much the opposite of what is best for me. It's called a spectrum for a reason. I will be giving the keynote address at an autism conference in 3 weeks; I'm certain to offend a lot of people because one of the concepts I will be discussing is embracing discomfort.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Let's avoid discussing medical issues.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

A Man Called Otto. Tom Hanks great as usual. Excellent movie.
All the Best, | Joe
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Tetris" streaming on AppleTV - I liked this, because I grew up playing and loving Tengen Tetris (among many other games) on my NES console and GameBoy. Note that there is a some artistic license taken to make the story more compelling for the big screen.

"Mortal Combat " (2021 film) - streaming on HBO Max. While it's still pretty campy with a silly plot, this version is much improved from the previous movies. Kano has some especially funny dialogue. I grew up when the Mortal Kombat game was popular and played it a bit (I wasn't very good) in both arcades and on home game systems so I'd recommend it if you were a fan of the game.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Chupa on Netflix. It’s a fun family movie. I recommend it.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We watched two films yesterday.

Limitless (2011 movie, not the 2015 tv series) on Cinemax. Bradley Cooper. I saw it sometime around it's release. It was good enough the 2nd time.

Lucy (2014) on HBO Max with Scarlett Johansson. I had not seen it before. Had I not recalled the title I would not have recognized Johansson. I recall it got raves at the time. Not recommended.

Edit:
I should mention that both are based on using more of the protagonist's brain. That coincidence had nothing to do with us watching them, but curious after the fact.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Polite Society. A new martial arts comedy that's a lot of fun.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Hachi: A Dog's Tale", streaming on Netflix - I put off watching this one because I have had dogs almost all of my life and knew it would be a tough one, similar to reading "Where the Red Fern Grows". I knew the plot of the movie so the waterworks started about halfway through and didn't let up even after it was over. I'm glad I finally watched it!
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Another dog lover here....

Just watched "Rescued by Ruby". A Rhode Island state trooper adopts a dog from the local shelter. The dog becomes a champion search and rescue dog. Based on a true story. It was OK. If you're a crazy dog lover (like me), you'll like the movie.

On Netflix.
wm631

Post by wm631 »

Elsebet wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:17 pm "Hachi: A Dog's Tale", streaming on Netflix - I put off watching this one because I have had dogs almost all of my life and knew it would be a tough one, similar to reading "Where the Red Fern Grows". I knew the plot of the movie so the waterworks started about halfway through and didn't let up even after it was over. I'm glad I finally watched it!
I'll second this one. I watched it pretty much on a whim, with an hour or so to kill - and was surprised. Has a nice charm to it - and, Richard Gere! I remember thinking it's a perfect choice especially for a younger teenager (11 to 15 age?), or any dog lover.

Speaking of Gere (... and, Susan Sarandon ...). "Arbitrage" (2012). Another one flicked on as an after-thought, to watch for a few minutes. And, surprised again. Watched the whole movie, a better than average script for Bogleheads-obsessions based on the premise of sly old John Huston's dismissal of his input into the brilliant "Treasure of the Sierra Madre": "I didn't do anything much there. I just left the characters in the situation, and let them stew in their own juice".
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I still go back and re-watch Apollo 13 occasionally.

I've always been a "space nerd" (watched the Apollo 11 moon landing as it happened), so when I saw the trailer in the theater, I informed my wife that, yes, we WOULD be going to this movie. We watched it in the theater during it's original release. It was (to my taste) an incredible movie, but I didn't get a feel for just how incredible until something that happened late in the showing.

Of course, we all went into the movie knowing exactly how it would end, since it was based on a first-person account (Jim Lovell's "Lost Moon") of the actual real-life Apollo 13 mission. We knew from history that the three astronauts would make it back safely, that nobody would die. No surprises there.

When the Command Module came out of re-entry blackout and popped its chutes, and Tom Hanks broke the suspense in Mission Control by saying "Hello, Houston, this is Odyssey - it's good to see you", every single person in the theater got to their feet and cheered wildly.

Movies are made to elicit emotional responses in the audience. This one certainly did that.

As a side note, I got great pleasure from learning about Jim Lovell's cameo in that film.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) Charles Laughton, Clark Cable, Franchot Tone

First mate Fletcher Christian leads a revolt against his sadistic commander, Captain Bligh, in this classic seafaring adventure, based on the real-life 1789 mutiny. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026752/?ref_=tt_pg

I’d never seen the complete film, only snatches of it on TV decades ago. It’s an excellent movie, in fact it won Best Picture 1936. Partially filmed in Tahiti.

Laughton is the perfect Bligh. In real life the descendants of the mutineers still live on Pitcairn Island. There’ve been several remakes down through the years, including a silent version in 1916. Also a cartoon, Mutiny on the Bunny (1950) with Yosemite Sam as Bligh and Bugs Bunny as Fletcher Christian, this I have to see!

We watched a DVD checked out of our local public library.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Just rewatched The Pink Panther (1963). It really is a good movie! Loads of fun. This was the first Pink Panther movie, where Peter Sellers only got second billing, after David Niven. Even Capucine got to do some great slapstick.

Over the years, I have seen many "best of" style clips from all the Pink Panther movies but it has been a long time since I watched a whole Pink Panther movie. Blake Edwards was a genius. Note that he was also responsible for the Peter Gunn TV show.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
telemark

Post by telemark »

Lala Land, on Netflix. I like movies that aren't carbon copies of something else, and this definitely qualifies.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Downfall”.

Hitler’s final days in bunker.

Incredible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downfall_(2004_film)

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Big Lebowski, free on Amazon Prime, rated R, Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, 1998, comedy / crime. Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski, mistaken for a millionaire of the same name, seeks restitution for a rug ruined by debt collector. A non-stop stream of light-hearted comedy. The plot itself isn't all that deep. The movie won several awards. I liked it.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:11 am The Big Lebowski, free on Amazon Prime, rated R, Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, 1998, comedy / crime. Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski, mistaken for a millionaire of the same name, seeks restitution for a rug ruined by debt collector. A non-stop stream of light-hearted comedy. The plot itself isn't all that deep. The movie won several awards. I liked it.
Well, its plot is about as deep as that of The Big Sleep. Also, there's bowling which, unlike war, has rules.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I may have to give up reading the hype about new shows and movies in the NYT and WSJ.

Another disappointment for us: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/25/arts ... aby-j.html

We hadn't heard of him (John Mulaney) before that article, although he's had several shows. Ah, just googled him and see he's a SNL alum. That may explain it.

We tried it on Netflix. He's not for us.

To be fair, we don't get through many movies/shows featured in the papers. Our favorite in standup is Nate Bargatze. We find his older stuff worth watching again and again.

We watched his latest Hello World when it appeared in January on Prime. Good, but we like his older stuff better.

After trying Mulaney last night we went back and watched Hello World again, to the end. Smiles all around for us.

https://www.amazon.com/Nate-Bargatze-He ... 100&sr=1-1
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:11 am The Big Lebowski, free on Amazon Prime, rated R, Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, 1998, comedy / crime. Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski, mistaken for a millionaire of the same name, seeks restitution for a rug ruined by debt collector. A non-stop stream of light-hearted comedy. The plot itself isn't all that deep. The movie won several awards. I liked it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. :wink:
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

uaeebs86 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:32 am
Maybe she's out of her element.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

add-on deleted to avoid hijacking the movie aspect of the thread. I'll post elsewhere.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

"Dinner Rush" on Amazon Prime.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_Rush

Events take place at a NYC restaurant over the course of an evening, with a few subplots going on at the same time: organized crime, romance & rivalry, parent/child relationship.

Well done. I recommend it.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

heartwood wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:15 am I may have to give up reading the hype about new shows and movies in the NYT and WSJ.

Another disappointment for us: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/25/arts ... aby-j.html

We hadn't heard of him (John Mulaney) before that article, although he's had several shows. Ah, just googled him and see he's a SNL alum. That may explain it.

We tried it on Netflix. He's not for us.

To be fair, we don't get through many movies/shows featured in the papers. Our favorite in standup is Nate Bargatze. We find his older stuff worth watching again and again.

We watched his latest Hello World when it appeared in January on Prime. Good, but we like his older stuff better.

After trying Mulaney last night we went back and watched Hello World again, to the end. Smiles all around for us.

https://www.amazon.com/Nate-Bargatze-He ... 100&sr=1-1
It's funny but a lot of lauded comedians - say Mulaney and Dave Chappell - don't actually set up or tell jokes. They just kind of talk for a while and include some amusing stories. I don't get it. In fact I'd say I don't recognize very much at all in Chapelle's shows as explicitly funny or any kind of setup that appears to be related to a joke. I don't get them. I watched Mulaney's most recent show for maybe 20 minutes and just didn't get it.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

bertilak wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:07 am
uaeebs86 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:32 am
Maybe she's out of her element.
So I recognize the line ("That's just like your opinion man.") and I think it's somewhat funny but ... I don't get why so many people love that line. In fact I don't know what the line really means. I THINK it's that he has accepted the insult and really has no response to it. But also that he accepted the insult and just doesn't care. He's not saying that the insult is untrue, he seems to accept its premise, and he seems unable to respond to it but also the insult seems not to bother him.

Is that it? I don't really understand the line.