What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek »

jginseattle wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:15 pm
tenkuky wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:02 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:46 pm Jojo Rabbit on Amazon Prime ($3.49 rental), rated PG-13, Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, 2019, comedy / drama / war. A young German Nazi boy discovers his mother is hiding a young Jewish girl. I thought this satire was heart-warming and entertaining. This movie won an Oscar and lots of awards. It's a nice change of pace.
Taika Waititi is a fantastic director.
Check out his Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPaU4Gymt3E
And I would recommend the 2014 film What We Do in the Shadows.
Hunt for the Wilderpeople on Netflix, rated PG-13, Director - Taika Waititi, Sam Neill, adventure / comedy / drama. A kid and his foster uncle are hunted by New Zealand authorities out in the bush. It's entertaining and kept my attention the entire time. This movie won a ton of awards. I liked it.

What We Do in the Shadows is next.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:33 am
fishandgolf wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:29 am "Where the Crawdads Sing"

Excellent!!......DW coerced me into watching it. I was a bit reluctant to watch it only because the title sounds kind of weird.... but nevertheless,
it was outstanding!
I, too, had to be coerced and ended up enjoying it on a number of levels.
Same here, but next weekend we will watch Top Gun.
Dan999
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:45 am

Hunt for the Wilderpeople on Netflix, rated PG-13, Director - Taika Waititi, Sam Neill, adventure / comedy / drama. A kid and his foster uncle are hunted by New Zealand authorities out in the bush. It's entertaining and kept my attention the entire time. This movie won a ton of awards. I liked it.

What We Do in the Shadows is next.
And watch Boy also while you are binging on Taika. Wonderful how he represents the Kiwi nation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESD3mlgpSwM
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Stalker

1979 Soviet science fiction film. A "stalker" leads two guys into the mysterious and well-guarded Zone, where there is a room in which you can have your most secret desire fulfilled. Apparently a classic of sorts. Some possibly deep thinking going on in it, but it's a very vague and very slow 2 1/2 hours, with an interesting but unsatisfying ending. The cinematography is gorgeous. Decay and filth never looked so good. By parts in yellow-tinged black & white, and full color. Recorded off TCM a while back.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Watching Hocus Pocus on TV now. Funny how that movie wasn't much of a box office hit when released, but is now a cult classic.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Murder in the Cove, on Amazon Prime.

I am not sure if this should be classified as a movie or a T.V. Show. This is an hour-long documentary. In 2013 in an Acadian fishing village along the cost of Nova Scotia a long-time thief who steals the catch from lobster traps and cuts the traps is killed by outraged lobster fishermen in a gruesome manner.

The close-knit community is silent, not helping in the police investigation, and becomes deeply divided between people who thought he "deserved it" and those who thought the fisheries police and Coast Guard were derelict in not stopping him earlier before it came to this point, and that nobody should be killed that way for stealing lobsters.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

" Where the Crawdad's Sing", based on the bestselling book. Excellent
All the Best, | Joe
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A Kiss Before Dying (1956) — Robt. Wagner, Joanne Woodward, Jeffrey Hunter

It’s a color film noir. I won’t provide a synopsis as anything I type here would reveal plot points which would diminish your enjoyment of the film. In short, see it! We streamed it on The Criterion Channel
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Father Goose, on Amazon Prime.

This is a 1964 romantic comedy set in the the Pacific in World War II, starring Cary Grant and Leslie Caron. A shiftless boat bum is tricked and forced into being a Coast Watcher, and finds himself rescuing a beautiful Frenchwoman and 7 young schoolgirls.

Recommended.

Trailer.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

Life of Crime. A 2013 dark comedy (but not bloody or icky or anything like that) movie starring Jennifer Aniston. The acting was good, and it was fun to watch.

I just happened upon it while channel surfing on HBO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Crime_(film)
I don't know anything.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Panic in the Streets (1950) — Richard Widmark, Barbara Bel Geddes, Zero Mostel, Jack Palance, directed by Elia Kazan.

A doctor and a policeman in New Orleans have only 48 hours to locate a killer infected with pneumonic plague.

Widmark and Palance shine in this, Jack Palance’s debut film. He’s listed in the credits as “Walter Jack Palance”! This is a gritty film noir shot on location in New Orleans with many non-actor local citizens taking part. It was fun seeing how Bourbon Street looked in 1950. Recommended.

We streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

What we do in the shadows, $3.99 rental on Amazon Prime, rated R, Taika Waititi, 2014, comedy / horror. A group of vampires struggle learning how to live in modern life. The reviews call this a "mockumentary" - a documentary in the form of a comedy. I would agree. It's a very different take on vampire portrayals.

A few scenes were hilarious, but the plot started to wear thin after a while. This movie won several awards. Not bad.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Top Gun Maverick.
Best movie I have seen in a very long time. Tremendous action scenes.
I asked my wife why Tom Cruise never ages.
A 10.
Dan999
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

My wife loves watching movies in the theater.

Yesterday, we went there and watched "The Good House" with Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline. My wife loved it. I thought it was pretty good. There were a total of 7 people in the theater.

I go, not because I want to see the movies, but more to make her happy.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:59 am My wife loves watching movies in the theater.

Yesterday, we went there and watched "The Good House" with Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline. My wife loved it. I thought it was pretty good. There were a total of 7 people in the theater.

Those two actors' names reminds me of the movie "Dave".
It's a favorite of ours.
And especially the little scene that includes Sigourney Weaver's character saying something about "...when you were in the state legislature..."
[I am omitting a spoiler of a short scene...]

We tend to use variations of that on occasion. :wink:

I'll look into "The Good House". Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:26 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:59 am My wife loves watching movies in the theater.

Those two actors' names reminds me of the movie "Dave".
It's a favorite of ours.
And especially the little scene that includes Sigourney Weaver's character saying something about "...when you were in the state legislature..."
[I am omitting a spoiler of a short scene...]

We tend to use variations of that on occasion. :wink:

I'll look into "The Good House". Thanks.

RM
Sigourney Weaver's performance is the best reason to see The Good House.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Here is an obscure one, 'Barbarosa' with Willie Nelson and Gary Bussey. It is the movie version of a country western song. Not sure why I like it, acting isn't great but it reminds me of the song 'Pancho and Lefty'. I have never met another person who has seen it.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:39 pm Here is an obscure one, 'Barbarosa' with Willie Nelson and Gary Bussey. It is the movie version of a country western song. Not sure why I like it, acting isn't great but it reminds me of the song 'Pancho and Lefty'. I have never met another person who has seen it.
I watched that movie with my Dad about 35 years ago, on a rented VHS tape. I remember very few details, but I do remember that it was good, worth watching.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
matti

Post by matti »

I rewatched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) last night. I haven't seen it in a long time and I was quickly reminded why many consider it a horror classic. It's still amazing.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Return to Paradise, on Amazon Prime.

This 1953 movie is based on a story by James A. Michener, and stars Gary Cooper and Roberta Haynes. In the 1930s on a small Samoan island a despotic pastor uses a police force of "wardens" to enforce strict rules of conduct on innocent natives.

A selfish, self-centered drifter escaping real life comes to the island, successfully defies the pastor but refuses to help the natives end the despotism. Almost by accident he sparks a successful revolt. He fathers an illegitimate child by a native girl, the mother dies in childbirth and he leaves the island abandoning his newborn daughter.

The story continues with his return at the end of World War II, but I won't reveal how it ends.

Recommended.

Trailer
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:40 am Return to Paradise, on Amazon Prime.

This 1953 movie is based on a story by James A. Michener, and stars Gary Cooper and Roberta Haynes. In the 1930s on a small Samoan island a despotic pastor uses a police force of "wardens" to enforce strict rules of conduct on innocent natives.

A selfish, self-centered drifter escaping real life comes to the island, successfully defies the pastor but refuses to help the natives end the despotism. Almost by accident he sparks a successful revolt. He fathers an illegitimate child by a native girl, the mother dies in childbirth and he leaves the island abandoning his newborn daughter.

The story continues with his return at the end of World War II, but I won't reveal how it ends.

Recommended.

Trailer
Thank you for the recommendation. I've always enjoyed James Michener's books.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Just watched some oldies: Arsenic and Old Lace, the Philadelphia Story, and Duck Soup. The first two were okay and Duck Soup was barely mediocre . We’ll be watching Mean Girls, Licorice Pizza and book smart this week.
Cheers
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:39 pm Here is an obscure one, 'Barbarosa' with Willie Nelson and Gary Bussey. It is the movie version of a country western song. Not sure why I like it, acting isn't great but it reminds me of the song 'Pancho and Lefty'. I have never met another person who has seen it.
Where did you see it? Maybe I’ll watch it.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

The documentary about American Pie: The Day The Music Died / Don McLean on Paramount+. I really liked it. There is a great contemporary interview with Don McLean about the origin of some of the lyrics and the influences of his childhood experiences on the song. There is also some great archival footage of the song's production.

[Edit: Just a coincidence here, but TheTimeLord just above commented about a movie called Barbarosa with Gary Busey who starred in the memorable film The Buddy Holly Story. Friendly note to TheTimeLord: only 1 's' in Busey. :) ]
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:44 pm
Amazon Prime. Don't know if it is still available.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

13 Lives on Prime.

I know it has been mentioned already but an uplifting story is still, well, uplifting. Recommended.
Bearcat78

Post by Bearcat78 »

We liked the Good House. Sigourney Weaver made the movie. If you want to get out of the house and have some theatre popcorn this should fit the bill. Not an action or scifi if that is what your looking for.
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:07 pm
Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:44 pm
Amazon Prime. Don't know if it is still available.
It is available on Roku, Tubi or Pluto foe free streaming. I liked this movie although it is a little quirky. Babe in the woods Gary Bussey(farm boy out of his depth in Texas and Mexico) finds a unwilling mentor in Nelson's Barbarossa character.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Niagara Falls, on Amazon Prime.

This is a 1941 short comedy, starring Marjorie Woodworth, Tom Brown, ZaSu Pitts, and Slim Summerville. A traveling salesman married the farmer's daughter after wanting to marry her for 20 years. They are on their way to Niagara Falls for their honeymoon when they chance upon two angry strangers arguing, and mistake them for newlyweds having a spat.

Arriving at the same hotel to check in, confusion reigns when the the actual newlyweds tell the hotel staff to let the angry couple have their honeymoon suite, and switch rooms.

I think it's very funny. Recommended.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:06 pm Murder in the Cove, on Amazon Prime.

I am not sure if this should be classified as a movie or a T.V. Show. This is an hour-long documentary. In 2013 in an Acadian fishing village along the cost of Nova Scotia a long-time thief who steals the catch from lobster traps and cuts the traps is killed by outraged lobster fishermen in a gruesome manner.

The close-knit community is silent, not helping in the police investigation, and becomes deeply divided between people who thought he "deserved it" and those who thought the fisheries police and Coast Guard were derelict in not stopping him earlier before it came to this point, and that nobody should be killed that way for stealing lobsters.

Recommended.
I had never heard of this and watched because of your review. Very interesting and though-provoking. Thanks for the rec!
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

It's October so we are watching all scary movies.

We always watch The Omen (one of my favorites) at this time of year, but this is the first time we've watched the sequels and started with The Omen 2. I thought it was an ok sequel, more practical than the first one, but similar tone. However some of the effects in this one were funny instead of scary, like (spoiler) the lady who couldn't fight off a single crow and then when she got hit by a truck, bounced up onto its roof in a way that no amount of physics could explain. I'm still chuckling about that scene.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

The Dawn Patrol. Pilots in WWI making raids against enemy positions. And the challenges of command in desperate situations with green / inadequately trained personnel. Pretty good special effects for the time.

Similar story line to 12 O'clock High. Saw it on TCM
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

Blonde on Netflix. A depressing movie about Marilyn Monroe.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

It took 2 days but I finally made it through Thor Love and Thunder. Ugh, it was no Ragnarok.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:28 pm It took 2 days but I finally made it through Thor Love and Thunder. Ugh, it was no Ragnarok.
Yeah, wow was that one bad. We slogged through it a few weeks ago.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Topper, I watched on DVD. Topper is currently available to stream on Crackle.

This is one of my favorite classic comedies. It stars Cary Grant, Constance Bennett, Billie Burke and Roland Young.

A carefree young couple is killed in an auto accident. For a good deed to try to merit entry into heaven their spirits resolve to help teach their upright, staid, older banker Cosmo Topper to enjoy life.

Trailer
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:33 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:28 pm It took 2 days but I finally made it through Thor Love and Thunder. Ugh, it was no Ragnarok.
Yes! I loved Ragnarok. Witty and exciting, characters and spectacle. But Love & Thunder was a real snooze.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

We attempted to watch the current Elvis movie. Luckily it was free to stream on HBO Max. We turned it off after a painful hour. It seems to be made to appeal to the ADHD generation. Baz Luhrman may have made some decent movies, etc. in the past, but we just didn’t like this one.
Moulin Rouge was reasonable, the Great Gatsby was dreadful. We haven’t seen his earlier work. We realized what Elvis might have been like, but decided to give it a try. Oh well.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:51 am
stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:33 pm
Yes! I loved Ragnarok. Witty and exciting, characters and spectacle. But Love & Thunder was a real snooze.
Agree, just watched this recently and it was quite forgettable.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Next up this weekend: Lost Boys. It's back in the theatre. Can't wait.
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

Recently finished Adams Family Values (purchased). Great sequel to the Adams Family.

Here a few that I have watched on Netflix:

RRR; a Tollywood movie with lots of action, set in pre-independent India, with two local men on their own paths to deal with the British. (subtitled)

[go here and learn about all of the local film industries that follow in the footsteps of Hollywood]

The Miracle; set in the rural mountains of Turkey, about a teacher who helps villagers build a school and in the process helps the village handicapped person chart a new life for himself and unlikely wife. (subtitled)

DHH; sweet a Bollywood film about three boys who learned how to apply themselves and improve their school performance with the gift from a special magician. (subtitled)

Nobody Knows I'm Here; a former Chilean child singer who dwells on his past while living on a sheep farm. (subtitled)

A Yak in the Classroom; a young Bhutanese teacher with dreams of moving to Australia, doing his teaching commitment in a very remote village with eager young students. (subtitled)

[Okay, I admit it, I'm a sucker for foreign movies!]

PoemMan
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I rewatched "The Usual Suspects" yesterday. It was still good despite knowing the ending.

27 years ago I didn't know anyone in the cast except for Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, and Chazz Palminteri. Now I am pleasantly surprised to recognize Kevin Pollack, Stephen Baldwin, Benicio del Toro (Sicario, Traffic), Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring in Breaking Bad), Suzy Amis (granddaughter in Titanic, who subsequently married James Cameron), and Clark Gregg (Marvel movies and shows).
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

The Unthinkable.

Low budget Swedish film with a cameo from Putin saying "the economy is stabilizing" amid horrific loss.
freakyfriday

Post by freakyfriday »

I watch multiple movies per week, in cinema and at home. I'd say the standout for me recently was Bodies, bodies, bodies... I nearly didn't watch it because the trailer is just so dreadful.

In fact maybe I enjoyed it so much because the trailer crushed my expectations and lowered the bar for the actual movie!

And you walk away with loads of GenZ slang to make your kids cringe with.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Hocus Pocus 2. The original was better.
Light weight baby!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Foul Play, I watched on DVD. This movie is available on Amazon Prime.

This classic comedy/romance/thriller stars Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase. Also features Burgess Meredith, Billy Barty, Brian Dennehy, and Dudley Moore. In San Francisco a shy librarian and raunchy police Lieutenant join forces to thwart a plot to assassinate the Pope.

Recommended.

Trailer
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:40 am Return to Paradise, on Amazon Prime.

Recommended.

Trailer
I watched this and enjoyed it - thanks for the recommendation.

Then I watched another Gary Cooper movie on Amazon Prime - The Wedding Night. Gary plays a writer who moves into his house in Connecticut to save money, and gets involved in the lives of a local Polish family. Very dreary, with an unhappy ending.

I wish I hadn't watched it. Not recommended.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

The greatest beer run ever. Streamed on Apple TV. Noble idea for a movie but not quite a story to fill two hours. I’d give it two out of five stars. Wish it was better.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

doobiedoo wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:02 am I rewatched "The Usual Suspects" yesterday. It was still good despite knowing the ending.

27 years ago I didn't know anyone in the cast except for Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, and Chazz Palminteri. Now I am pleasantly surprised to recognize Kevin Pollack, Stephen Baldwin, Benicio del Toro (Sicario, Traffic), Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring in Breaking Bad), Suzy Amis (granddaughter in Titanic, who subsequently married James Cameron), and Clark Gregg (Marvel movies and shows).
Really good movie.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We watched "Indiscreet" yesterday evening, with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant.

We were a bit surprised with the level of acting; things certainly have changed...
And likewise the storyline.

We were a bit disappointed, although we enjoyed it.

For some reason, when DH started the movie, I was expecting "Notorious", but that was their previous movie, their first, together.
So "Notorious" is now on our list, that first version with Bergman and Grant.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.