What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mrmass

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by mrmass »

theac wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:53 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:24 pm “Escape from Sobibor” on Tubi with Alan Arkin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Sobibor

Sad but we must never forget history.

Best.
Tony
I just added that to my watch list.

On the lighter side, Alan Arkin and "Colombo" (Peter Faulk) in "The In-Laws" (1979).

Hilarious when Peter Fault is describing his experiences with the South American jungle tribes over dinner at the first meeting with the soon-to-be in-laws.
Serpentine Shelly, Serpentine! Very funny scene
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Mr. and Mrs. Smith, on Amazon Prime.

This 1941 comedy stars Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery. A couple who have been married for three years are shocked to learn that their marriage is not legally valid.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:30 pm The World Before Your Feet. I think it's free on both Tube and Pluto. It's a documentary about a guy that's attempting to walk every road in the five boroughs of New York City, including all the roads and paths in NYC parks. It wasn't the best documentary I've seen. Parts of it seemed somewhat amateurish. But it was interesting, and I'm glad I watched it. I don't want to say anymore about it, and give away how it went, or is going.
Forgot to mention that he will have to walk over 8000 miles to reach his goal.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Bandu79 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:54 am Iron Giant
Very pleasant surprise a couple years ago. Highly recommended.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing

Set in Hong Kong, 1949-50, this classic movie lives up to the accolades
it has received for decades. Dr. Han Suyin (Jennifer Jones) has dedicated
herself to medicine since the death of her husband and has no penchant
for romance or relationships but reluctantly falls for the charms of news
correspondent Mark Elliot (William Holden).
The theme song (popularized by the Four Aces and others) plays throughout
the move.
Touching, lovely film
Recommended
Viewed on Amazon Prime
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

We started watching "Terminal List" on the Prime, pretty so good so far.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

I started watching reruns of Star Trek movies, I am at #6 now.
They follow upon the original Star Trek TV series of the 1970s. If you are a fan of science fiction and/or Star Trek, they are a must see.
Although I'll be honest, #1 and #5 had somewhat of a cheesy plot. In general I much prefer the newer Star Trek movies, starting with #6 (which follows up the Next Generation TV series).
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

squirrel1963 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:21 pm I started watching reruns of Star Trek movies, I am at #6 now.
They follow upon the original Star Trek TV series of the 1970s. If you are a fan of science fiction and/or Star Trek, they are a must see.
Although I'll be honest, #1 and #5 had somewhat of a cheesy plot. In general I much prefer the newer Star Trek movies, starting with #6 (which follows up the Next Generation TV series).
Most original movies and sequels start well and then get worse and worse in succeeding films, as the tendency is to abandon art and just cash in on the brand, witness the Planet of the Apes series, the later films of which were just awful. But in the Star Trek films they started out bad and progressively got better.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:06 pm
squirrel1963 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:21 pm I started watching reruns of Star Trek movies, I am at #6 now.
Most original movies and sequels start well and then get worse and worse in succeeding films, as the tendency is to abandon art and just cash in on the brand, witness the Planet of the Apes series, the later films of which were just awful. But in the Star Trek films they started out bad and progressively got better.
Yes I agree with you, Star Trek movies became good starting with #6 (Generations, the bridge between original ST and TNG), and in my opinion even better starting with Chris Pine.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Funny you should mention the Trek movies; I have recently rewatched Wrath of Kahn and Search for Spock. I have enjoyed the movies and TV shows for many years.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Not to poach on the Star Trek thread, but I believe any fans of that franchise would enjoy Galaxy Quest, a 1999 parody and homage to the originals.

I watched it for the ??? time on a flight yesterday after rejecting all of my other hundreds of choices. So many talented actors and so much fun for me.

Another film that deserved a sequel.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:37 pm Not to poach on the Star Trek thread, but I believe any fans of that franchise would enjoy Galaxy Quest, a 1999 parody and homage to the originals.

I watched it for the ??? time on a flight yesterday after rejecting all of my other hundreds of choices. So many talented actors and so much fun for me.

I also recommend Galaxy Quest, it's available on Amazon Prime.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:51 pm
heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:37 pm Not to poach on the Star Trek thread, but I believe any fans of that franchise would enjoy Galaxy Quest, a 1999 parody and homage to the originals.

Never seen a Star Trek movie (nor do I have any interest), but Galaxy Quest is fun.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:59 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:51 pm

Never seen a Star Trek movie (nor do I have any interest), but Galaxy Quest is fun.
Good movie. I also have never watched a Star Trek movie. Nor have I ever seen a full episode of the TV show. Just never appealed to me.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Great Escape II” on Tubi. Never saw this and enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great ... told_Story

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

We finally watched Fisherman's Friend based on a recommendation here. Great choice!

I love dark sci-fi distopia, but it was refreshing to go to the opposite end of the spectrum. Was the secondary storyline (away from the music group) predictable? Yes! And it was eagerly anticipating it and there's nothing wrong with that.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

We haven't been out a movie theater since 2019 or 2020. We are thinking about it again but depends on movie quality.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

snackdog wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:06 am We haven't been out a movie theater since 2019 or 2020. We are thinking about it again but depends on movie quality.
Our last theater experience was Black Panther. My daughter dragged us to it. It was as bad as I expected. Decent production values but otherwise juvenile. At least it had Martin Freeman, but he couldn't save it -- impossible with the silly script.

I don't think the movie makers even try any more, except to cash in on the latest teen comic book trends. There is no attempt to make quality movies of lasting value.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

bertilak wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:57 am
snackdog wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:06 am We haven't been out a movie theater since 2019 or 2020. We are thinking about it again but depends on movie quality.
Our last theater experience was Black Panther. My daughter dragged us to it. It was as bad as I expected. Decent production values but otherwise juvenile. At least it had Martin Freeman, but he couldn't save it -- impossible with the silly script.

I don't think the movie makers even try any more, except to cash in on the latest teen comic book trends. There is no attempt to make quality movies of lasting value.
Agree 100%...The crap coming out of the US studios are so formulaic and painfully woke has driven me to search deeper into the international movies and tv shows even if I have to use subtitles for language or accents. I'm a "follow the money" guy and imagine getting financing to produce a movie must involve projected big box offices that have a little something of everything for everyone. You end up with non sensical scripts and plotlines and likely the higher quality scripts being rejected.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Miss Congeniality, a comedy from the final year of the previous millenium, on Netflix. I expected it to feel dated but, perhaps regrettably, it doesn't. Many excellent performances from a well rounded cast.

Also on Netflix, I stuck through forty minutes of Snow White and the Huntsman, thinking it would have to get better, than gave up. I would blame the actors, but they're probably doing the best they can with what they were given. A story that should be interesting, told in the least convincing possible way.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Capsu78 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:53 pm Agree 100%...The crap coming out of the US studios are so formulaic and painfully woke has driven me to search deeper into the international movies and tv shows even if I have to use subtitles for language or accents.
I look to the past for classic movies. I go for distance in time rather than distance in place (and language).

I am not offended at all if a movie reflects the culture of its time. I guess I've been through enough cultural change to realize that whatever is current is not necessarily ideal nor a basis for making judgements. Nor for getting enlightenment nor enjoyment!
Last edited by bertilak on Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Too Big to Fail”

Always enjoy that one with the late William Hurt among others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Big_to_Fail_(film)

Best.
Tony
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:59 pm “Too Big to Fail”

Always enjoy that one with the late William Hurt among others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Big_to_Fail_(film)

Best.
Tony
There’s also an interesting documentary called “Small Enough to Jail,” about the legal troubles an Asian American family owned bank ran into when one of its employees committed fraud.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:43 am Leave No Trace on Netflix, rated PG, Thomasin McKenzie, Ben Foster, 2018, action / drama. A father and his daughter search for a place to live after being chased out of an Oregon parkland reserve. This movie makes no moral judgments on lifestyle. The emotion and good acting tell a powerful story. You just watch and go along for the ride. This movie won several awards. I liked it.
This movie is based on real life. My friend works for that greenspace, which is located on the hills north of Portland. It is sad how society’s norms and expectations were imposed on them.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Bravern with Jason Momoa. It was a nice throwback to the days of Die Hard, Passenger 57, and Under Siege.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Goodfellas on Amazon Prime ($3.99 rental), rated R, Robert DiNiro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, 1990, Biography / Crime / Drama. A story of life as a gangster. Very entertaining and kept my attention the entire time. This movie won several awards. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:17 am Goodfellas on Amazon Prime ($3.99 rental), rated R, Robert DiNiro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, 1990, Biography / Crime / Drama. A story of life as a gangster. Very entertaining and kept my attention the entire time. This movie won several awards. I liked it.
And don't forget Lorraine Bracco, Dr. Melfi on Sopranos. Definitely an all-star cast!

It's been a while since I saw it. I hate it when Amazon Prime charges for a movie. I already paid $139 a year!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Capsu78 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:53 pm

Agree 100%...The crap coming out of the US studios are so formulaic and painfully woke has driven me to search deeper into the international movies and tv shows even if I have to use subtitles for language or accents. I'm a "follow the money" guy and imagine getting financing to produce a movie must involve projected big box offices that have a little something of everything for everyone. You end up with non sensical scripts and plotlines and likely the higher quality scripts being rejected.
We're a young(er) family and have just stopped going to the movies, for similar reasons. When I was climbing a mountain 2 weeks ago my wife took my kids to see "Maverick" (after everybody telling us it was a "must see") and they all absolutely loved it. Wife said it was one of the best movies she's ever seen in a theater, after her last theater experience being maybe the worst (Dr. Strange 2 - OMG was that a bad movie). I'll wait to stream it.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:17 am Goodfellas on Amazon Prime ($3.99 rental), rated R, Robert DiNiro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, 1990, Biography / Crime / Drama. A story of life as a gangster. Very entertaining and kept my attention the entire time. This movie won several awards. I liked it.
Based somewhat on a true story about the theft at the airport.

Paul Sorvino, who recently passed, was great in that film.

Best.
Tony
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

bertilak wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:52 am
And don't forget Lorraine Bracco, Dr. Melfi on Sopranos. Definitely an all-star cast!

It's been a while since I saw it. I hate it when Amazon Prime charges for a movie. I already paid $139 a year!
Someone had posted earlier that it was on Netflix. After I found that it wasn't available now, I really wanted to see it. So, I paid for it on Amazon Prime. Consider it a real-world example of Willingness to Pay (marginal utility function) in action.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Gertrude

Post by Gertrude »

We have only been to the theaters twice in the last 5 years. Saw Joker and Recently Elvis (both Warner Brother movies). Both were amazing. We are very selective.
Surfcaster

Post by Surfcaster »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:43 am Leave No Trace on Netflix, rated PG, Thomasin McKenzie, Ben Foster, 2018, action / drama. A father and his daughter search for a place to live after being chased out of an Oregon parkland reserve. This movie makes no moral judgments on lifestyle. The emotion and good acting tell a powerful story. You just watch and go along for the ride. This movie won several awards. I liked it.
Leave no Trace was an excellent movie. Worth watching. Was a little disturbed about the final choice though.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

Pick of the Litter, a documentary on Kanopy. 5 labrador puppies on a journey to become Guide Dogs for the Blind. Very positive and heartwarming! I admit I teared up a few times.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

It's amazing but TV series are where it's at right now. Lots of quality productions that really dig into the characters. One can argue that "Breaking Bad" was perhaps the peak, but there are still series coming out with substance and binge-appeal.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:44 pm

It's amazing but TV series are where it's at right now. Lots of quality productions that really dig into the characters. One can argue that "Breaking Bad" was perhaps the peak, but there are still series coming out with substance and binge-appeal.
Could not agree more.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Marry Me in Yosemite, Hallmark Channel. Standard Hallmark formula salvaged by the spectacular Yosemite scenery.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I just rewatched Galaxy Quest on Amazon Prime.

This is a 1999 spoof of Star Trek, it's characters, and Trekkies starring Tim Alle, Sigourney weaver, and Tony Shalhoub. The cast of an old sci-fi T.V. series is contacted by space friendly aliens, who believe that the T.V. show and characters are real and want their help to rescue them from an evil race of space aliens who are attacking them.
kabob

Post by kabob »

DopeSick - True story bout OxyContin/PurduePharm & Opioid Adiction...
Watched all episodes on Hulu - Interesting, supposedly All true based on realife...
From Reviews:
"Many components of the story are also real like the drug OxyContin, Purdue Pharma and the Sackler family. The way OxyContin was initially marketed as a non-addictive drug is also real."
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:26 am

We're a young(er) family and have just stopped going to the movies, for similar reasons. When I was climbing a mountain 2 weeks ago my wife took my kids to see "Maverick" (after everybody telling us it was a "must see") and they all absolutely loved it. Wife said it was one of the best movies she's ever seen in a theater, after her last theater experience being maybe the worst (Dr. Strange 2 - OMG was that a bad movie). I'll wait to stream it.
Yes! We just went to see Top Gun: Maverick yesterday, on Cinema Day, for $3.00. Definitely a quality movie and made with the audience
In mind.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Has anyone watched the first episode of the Amazon Prime series LOTR: Rings of Power. Any good?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LOTR: Rings of Power is discussed in this thread: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Use that thread for show series - wherever it's streaming or broadcast.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Lost Horizon, on Amazon.

In 1935 a Brittish diplomat and three others flee a violent revolution in China. Their plane crashes in the Himalayas of Tibet. They are rescued and taken to Shangri-la, a peaceful but mysterious valley deep in the mountains. The 1937 movie stars Ronald Coleman and Jane Wyatt and is about how the four fit into the society of isolated valley, or not.

Trailer
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:16 am Lost Horizon, on Amazon.

In 1935 a Brittish diplomat and three others flee a violent revolution in China. Their plane crashes in the Himalayas of Tibet. They are rescued and taken to Shangri-la, a peaceful but mysterious valley deep in the mountains. The 1937 movie stars Ronald Coleman and Jane Wyatt and is about how the four fit into the society of isolated valley, or not.

Trailer
I've watched it many times over the years. The beginning is exciting until they arrive in Shangri-la, which disappointed me as too white, too gleaming, too perfect, even boring at times. Excellent acting from all. A question I haven't been able to answer is what happened to Fenner, the original pilot of Conway's plane. How would killing him square with the film's utopian fantasy?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Molly's Game on Netflix, based on a true story. Very good!
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Gray Man” on Netflix.

Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gray_Man_(2022_film)

Best.
Tony
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

The Wedding Guest, starring Dev Patel.

Dev Patel's character kidnaps a bride to be, the night before her wedding in Pakistan. They go on the run, but despite this being advertised as a "thriller", not much happens. I'm a big Dev Patel fan, but I did not enjoy this movie, other than seeing the backdrop of lots of different places in India and Pakistan.

Not recommended.
Lambert Strether

Post by Lambert Strether »

Withnail and I on HBO Max. Never having heard of it, I looked it up and learned it is very highly regarded in England. Though there’s not too much of a plot, the script and acting are great—the actors commented on often encountering fans of the film over the past 35 years greeting them with lines from the script.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Taxi Driver on Netflix, rated R, Robert DeNiro, Jody Foster, Cybil Shepherd, Peter Boyle, 1976, crime / drama. A mentally unstable taxi driver gets upset about life in the inner city. This is a very good movie and won several awards.

As the plot unfolded, I was getting somewhat uncomfortable as the personality started to come out. The acting and directing did their job well.

Towards the end, the movie is eerily similar to the TV movies you see at one in the morning followed by station sign-off - overly dramatic with suspenseful music. I had several flashbacks remembering that.

Heads up: The last day to watch on Netflix is September 30.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

Jappeloup on Amazon Prime Video. True story of a French show jumper in the 70s and 80s. Jappeloup is the name of the horse. Very exciting and inspiring! Some of the show jumping was hard to watch because it seems incredible that horses actually jump as high as they do, with people riding them - the possibility of injury (or worse) is always there.

I found this movie because I was searching for "Daniel Auteuil"; he plays the father of the main character. Wonderful and French! Lots of smoking and wine.

Good, unobtrusive soundtrack of pop songs from the 70s and 80s. Brought back lots of memories, and some regrets. Why wasn't I spending the 70s and 80s doing something difficult and worthwhile?

Highly recommended.
Hypersion

Post by Hypersion »

Pain And gain. Funny dark comedy.