What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
whodidntante

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by whodidntante »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:56 am
whodidntante wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:41 pm Top Gun and Bullet Train are my most recent two unless we are going to count streaming. I like it when things explode in THX. My 12" overpriced subwoofer will pop nails out of the wall, but it will not compete with that.
Please do include streaming; we are among those that won’t go to a theater (for many reasons) but still enjoy movies. Always looking for streaming recommendations.

Btw, two overpriced subwoofers are better, not because they can play louder, but because in a home theater the walls are close and you get complicated constructive and destructive interference (i.e., peaks and nulls) in bass notes. The physics of low frequencies in a small room are rough on single sub installations; a 20 Hz note has a wavelength of 56.5 feet which is much longer than a typical home theater. Having multiple subs (and room correction software) improves bass performance.
Agreed.

I have a couple of 15 inch woofers in my basement, but they have a heavy footprint both in floorspace and neighbor relations. The sound carries impossibly far. Probably only suitable for people who actually need a truck in their life.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:49 am My One and Only,on Amazon Prime.

This 2019 comedy/drama stars Rene Zellweger and Kevin Bacon. In New York a woman catches her husband cheating (again). With her two sons in tow she travels across the country seeking husband material, they end up in California. The movie is more better than it sounds.

Trailer
Actually the 2009 version starred Zellweger & Bacon. The 2019 Hallmark, which I do believe is a different story, starred Pascale Hutton and Sam Page.
Last edited by neilpilot on Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:13 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:49 am My One and Only,on Amazon Prime.

This 2019 comedy/drama stars Rene Zellweger and Kevin Bacon. In New York a woman catches her husband cheating (again). With her two sons in tow she travels across the country seeking husband material, they end up in California. The movie is more better than it sounds.

Trailer
Actually the 2009 version starred Zellweger & Bacon. The 2019 Hallmark remake starred Pascale Hutton and Sam Page.
Oops :oops:
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Dan999 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:14 am THE DUKE

Wife and I enjoyed it. A British movie based on true story.

English senior citizen who takes up causes. No violence, some bad language. More of a comedy with a social cause to it.

Good evening entertainment for $6
Agree, but saw for free from my library.
All the Best, | Joe
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Watching In Time on HULU. Love the concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zB6wZKEObc
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

sid hartha wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:10 am Based on the recommendations here I watched 13 Lives on Amazon. I thought it was very well done.
I also just watched Thirteen Lives, on Amazon Prime. I thought it was very good.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Bandu79

Post by Bandu79 »

Iron Giant
Superpets
Lego Batman

Kids loved all these movies
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:23 am

I have a couple of 15 inch woofers in my basement, but they have a heavy footprint both in floorspace and neighbor relations. The sound carries impossibly far. Probably only suitable for people who actually need a truck in their life.
Try playing Tenet especially the truck scene with those speakers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjA_KDndv10
Make sure your roof is reinforced first though. :twisted:
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Wings of Desire. I liked it, but its style will not appeal to everyone.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Mother Biggles

Post by Mother Biggles »

Ushpizin. A test of an orthodox Jewish couple's faith. Amazing movie. I loved it. If you are religious of any faith this is a no-brainer for sure watch it movie. I think it is a great movie for anyone but particularly people of faith.

Elvis. I liked it. Tom Hanks was a terrible choice. I cringed every time he was on the screen. I'm not sure what his accent was supposed to be? German? Worth watching but Tom Hanks detracted enough it was compromised.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MariaT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:17 am Just watched Thirteen Lives on Amazon Prime, about the rescue of the Thai soccer kids and their coach in a Thai cave during a monsoon storm.
Starring Virgo Mortensen, Colin Farrell and John Edgerton as the rescue divers. An excellent movie and based on a true story. It dramatized the almost impossible mission to save the kids and their coach.
I just watched Thirteen Lives, it is an excellent movie.Thank you for the recommendation.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

28 Days - streaming on Netflix. This one is pretty good, I thought it would be a sappy romantic comedy but it's actually pretty dark and serious. The only thing I couldn't figure out is what kind of accent Alan Tudyk was trying to pull off.

The Florida Project - On blu-ray from Netflix: A heavy, sad film that made me thank my lucky stars for all that I have in life, and that I didn't make too many bad choices. Very well done and I recommend it.
Last edited by Elsebet on Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russel. Free on Tubi. It's mainly a western and a horror movie. It kept my attention, but I had to turn my head at times. The violence and gore was over-the-top. The style of the dialog and the characters were interesting. Found it a bit slow moving and unbelievable. Might be worth watching if you can stand all the blood and guts.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:01 pm Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russel. Free on Tubi. It's mainly a western and a horror movie. It kept my attention, but I had to turn my head at times. The violence and gore was over-the-top. The style of the dialog and the characters were interesting. Found it a bit slow moving and unbelievable. Might be worth watching if you can stand all the blood and guts.
Bone Tomahawk is such a great horror western. It's definitely violent and obviously has several scenes that are disturbing but I found the build up to the fight scenes particularly great. It's not for everyone but I really liked it.

I just watched The Immaculate Room. Interesting concept movie but never really stuck the landing. About a couple who will win $5 million if they can stay in an empty room for 50 days without leaving.

Also watched A Most Violent Year since it always is on the top movies to stream lists. I thought it was well acted but overall kinda boring. I don't regret watching it because Oscar Isaac is an amazing actor but I don't think it lived up to the hype.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:45 pm 28 Days - streaming on Netflix. This one is pretty good, I thought it would be a sappy romantic comedy but it's actually pretty dark and serious. The only thing I couldn't figure out is what kind of accent Alan Tudyk was trying to pull off.

The Florida Project - On blu-ray from Netflix: A heavy, sad film that made me thank my lucky stars for all that I have in life, and that I didn't make too many bad choices.
The Florida Project is an outstanding movie. Recommended.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Creature From the Black Lagoon, on Amazon Prime.

A 1954 thriller/horror movie. Four scientists travel far up the Amazon hoping to locate the fossil of a creature from the the Devonian era. They find a creature still living. The creature is attracted to the pretty lady scientist. The guy scientists battle the creature, they all escape the lagoon.

This was a popular 3-D movie feature when I was young. A nice nostalgia trip.

Trailer.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I just rewatched "Das Boot," the incredible submarine movie judged by many to be the best submarine film ever made. I only own a few DVDs, and this is one of them. It's the "Director's Cut," and I watched it in memory of the director, Wolfgang Petersen, who recently died. https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituari ... rsen-dead/

Since I study Spanish on my own, I decided to listen in Spanish with English subtitles. Interesting. Next time I'll try the opposite, or both in Spanish.

I think it's a terrific film. Critics finally realized years after its release that it was an anti-war film.

btw, in case you don't know, you pronounce "Das Boot" the same as in English, e.g., "das boat."
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Jazztonight wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:11 pm I just rewatched "Das Boot," the incredible submarine movie judged by many to be the best submarine film ever made. I only own a few DVDs, and this is one of them. It's the "Director's Cut," and I watched it in memory of the director, Wolfgang Petersen, who recently died. https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituari ... rsen-dead/

Since I study Spanish on my own, I decided to listen in Spanish with English subtitles. Interesting. Next time I'll try the opposite, or both in Spanish.

I think it's a terrific film. Critics finally realized years after its release that it was an anti-war film.

btw, in case you don't know, you pronounce "Das Boot" the same as in English, e.g., "das boat."
I agree with every word of your review, except for the pronunciation of “Das Boot,” but I guess it’s close enough and highly dependent on just how one pronounces “Boat.”

You know, I might revisit this masterpiece on my screen in the near future.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Love Punch” on Amazon.

Funny!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Love_Punch

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:30 am Creature From the Black Lagoon, on Amazon Prime.

A 1954 thriller/horror movie. Four scientists travel far up the Amazon hoping to locate the fossil of a creature from the the Devonian era. They find a creature still living. The creature is attracted to the pretty lady scientist. The guy scientists battle the creature, they all escape the lagoon.

This was a popular 3-D movie feature when I was young. A nice nostalgia trip.

Trailer.
One of my favorite SciFI movies of all time. There were 3 gill-man movies made. This one, Revenge of the Creature, and The Creature Walks Among Us. All three starred Ricou Browning as the creature swimming. He went on to a long career as a movie director for underwater scenes. His son and grand-kids work in the family business that specializes in marine movie stunts and scenes. Next month we will be visiting Wakulla Springs in FL, where some of the movie was filmed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricou_Browning

https://marinecoordinator.com/about-us
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:44 am
Jazztonight wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:11 pm I just rewatched "Das Boot," the incredible submarine movie judged by many to be the best submarine film ever made. I only own a few DVDs, and this is one of them. It's the "Director's Cut," and I watched it in memory of the director, Wolfgang Petersen, who recently died. https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituari ... rsen-dead/

I agree with every word of your review, except for the pronunciation of “Das Boot,” but I guess it’s close enough and highly dependent on just how one pronounces “Boat.”

Check this out, and then let me know if you've changed your mind.
https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/20 ... -correctly
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Jazztonight wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:23 pm

Well, maybe native English speakers don't hear the difference. It sounds more like boat than boot, but to my German speaking ears (my first language) it doesn't sound like "boat."

But, no harm no foul.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Leave No Trace on Netflix, rated PG, Thomasin McKenzie, Ben Foster, 2018, action / drama. A father and his daughter search for a place to live after being chased out of an Oregon parkland reserve. This movie makes no moral judgments on lifestyle. The emotion and good acting tell a powerful story. You just watch and go along for the ride. This movie won several awards. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Beneath the 12 Mile Reef, starring Gilbert Roland and a young Robert Wagner.
DSBH

Post by DSBH »

The Doberman Gang, with 6 dogs trained by an animal trainer to rob a bank. Last time I watched it was around mid 70's.
John C. Bogle: "Never confuse genius with luck and a bull market".
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:10 pm
Jazztonight wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:23 pm

Well, maybe native English speakers don't hear the difference. It sounds more like boat than boot, but to my German speaking ears (my first language) it doesn't sound like "boat."

But, no harm no foul.
tldr: Tomato tomahto :)
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

George Miller's new Three Thousand Years of Longing, with Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba. The stars are very good, but the movie is an uneasy mixture of silliness and pretentiousness.

Now in theaters.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

The World Before Your Feet. I think it's free on both Tube and Pluto. It's a documentary about a guy that's attempting to walk every road in the five boroughs of New York City, including all the roads and paths in NYC parks. It wasn't the best documentary I've seen. Parts of it seemed somewhat amateurish. But it was interesting, and I'm glad I watched it. I don't want to say anymore about it, and give away how it went, or is going.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Final Score” on Netflix.

Wasn’t bad.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Score_(2018_film)

Best.
Tony
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Several movies on Netflix
The Informer (2019)
An FBI informant/ex-con returns to prison with a mission. Some good scenes but a good cast can't ignite this. Fair.

Crazy Stupid Love (2011)
Fantastic cast with great comedic timing elevate this rom-com. Liked it a lot. :beer

Beirut (2018)
A former diplomat returns for a key mission. Tense and interesting. Liked it.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Mamma Mia, on DVD.

This was one of my wife's favorite movies. Nostalgic, a made-up story using old ABBA songs.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

All on the Netflix:

The Bucket List
That's Amor
Recurrence
Loving Adults
White Girl
After
Echoes: Limited Series: "Home"
Look Both Ways
The Next 365 Days
The Wrath of God
Eye For An Eye
The Gentlemen
Roped
Cleaner
GoodFellas
The Sandman: The Sandman: "Sleep of the Just"
The Departed
The Gray Man
The Age of Adaline
The Hateful Eight: Extended Version: The Hateful Eight: Extended Version: "The Last Chapter"
Alba: Alba: "What is Alba's crime?"
Blackhat
Disappearance at Clifton Hill
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"The Day Shift" streaming on Netflix. A weird mashup of a comedy/family/vampire movie. Lots of common tropes are used, I felt like I had seen this movie before in various other movies. Didn't enjoy it overall.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Serie1926 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:03 am All on the Netflix:

The Bucket List
That's Amor
Recurrence
Loving Adults
White Girl
After
Look Both Ways
The Next 365 Days
The Wrath of God
Eye For An Eye
The Gentlemen
Roped
Cleaner
GoodFellas
The Departed
The Gray Man
The Age of Adaline
The Hateful Eight: Extended Version: The Hateful Eight: Extended Version: "The Last Chapter"
Blackhat
Would you recommend we watch or avoid any of these? What’s your opinion?
Mother Biggles

Post by Mother Biggles »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:20 pm
Serie1926 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:03 am All on the Netflix:

The Bucket List
That's Amor
Recurrence
Loving Adults
White Girl
After
Look Both Ways
The Next 365 Days
The Wrath of God
Eye For An Eye
The Gentlemen
Roped
Cleaner
GoodFellas
The Departed
The Gray Man
The Age of Adaline
Blackhat
Would you recommend we watch or avoid any of these? What’s your opinion?
I watched the Gentlemen and loved it. Violent and funny.
Goodfellas is of course amazing as is The Departed.
Blackhat was good not great.

I just this evening watched "Every girl wants to be married" or something like that with Cary Grant. It was good though not his best. I was just amazed at what normal life must have been like back in the 40's. Fun movie. Not his best but fun.
Mother Biggles

Post by Mother Biggles »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:35 pm "The Day Shift" streaming on Netflix. A weird mashup of a comedy/family/vampire movie. Lots of common tropes are used, I felt like I had seen this movie before in various other movies. Didn't enjoy it overall.
I liked it didn't love it. I didn't feel it was a waste of time but it's hard to recommend it strongly.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:20 pm Would you recommend we watch or avoid any of these? What’s your opinion?
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I would try all and use our 20 minute rule. If not your taste within 20 minutes, delete.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

Started this one on the Netflix at the gym yesterday. Oh my!

Elite: Season 1

I'll post recent watches on the Prime also.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

Recently watched from the Prime:

The Sandlot (4K UHD)
Thirteen Lives
Last Flag Flying
The Days of Noah: The Flood - Part 1 of 4
New Life
The Rest of Us
The Terminal List - Season 1
Getting to Know You
Complete Unknown
Jackie & Ryan
Middle Men (2009)
The Road Ahead
The Baytown Outlaws
The Ultimate Life
Brittany Runs A Marathon
Redeeming Love
Restoration
Break Every Chain
The Informer
The Wolf of Wall Street
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

Thank you, LadyGeek!
MP173

Post by MP173 »

13 Lives.

Very good.

Ed
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Moon Over Miami, on DVD. Also available on Amazon Prime.

This is an early (1941) color musical comedy. Two sisters (Betty Grable and Carole Landis) from Texas to go a fancy hotel in Miami to snare a rich husband. Also stars Don Ameche and Robert Cummings. Recommended.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

MP173 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:02 pm 13 Lives.

Very good.

Ed
Currently watching. Ditto. It's a lot of fun to see Viggo Mortensen and Colin Farrell play character types I have never seen in a movie before, and to do them well.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Back to the Outback (2021)
Netflix.
Rip-roaring animated movie a la Madagascar about a group of "uglies" headed to the Outback in Australia.
The character development and hilarious scenes and dialogues make this a good laugh ride. :beer
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Have watched many movies since my last post, but this one is unlikely to have been mentioned by others and is worth a look for those who are looking for something unusual, contemplative and eye-opening. I saw it when it came out and re-watched it recently:

The Chambermaid (2018)
https://www.kanopy.com/en/product/10564905

It's a NYT Critic's Pick:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/movi ... eview.html
Billy C

Post by Billy C »

“The Trouble With Harry” (1955). I just finished watching the 4K UHD blu ray. It’s glorious: Hitchcock, Herrmann, VistaVision, Technicolor, perfection.
“When there are multiple solutions to a problem, choose the simplest one.” ― John C. Bogle
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Billy C wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:35 pm “The Trouble With Harry” (1955). I just finished watching the 4K UHD blu ray. It’s glorious: Hitchcock, Herrmann, VistaVision, Technicolor, perfection.
And Shirley MacLaine‘s film debut.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Escape from Sobibor” on Tubi with Alan Arkin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Sobibor

Sad but we must never forget history.

Best.
Tony
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:10 pm Moon Over Miami, on DVD. Also available on Amazon Prime.

This is an early (1941) color musical comedy. Two sisters (Betty Grable and Carole Landis) from Texas to go a fancy hotel in Miami to snare a rich husband. Also stars Don Ameche and Robert Cummings. Recommended.
I watched this and enjoyed it!

Best
Tony
theac

Post by theac »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:24 pm “Escape from Sobibor” on Tubi with Alan Arkin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Sobibor

Sad but we must never forget history.

Best.
Tony
I just added that to my watch list.

On the lighter side, Alan Arkin and "Colombo" (Peter Faulk) in "The In-Laws" (1979).

Hilarious when Peter Fault is describing his experiences with the South American jungle tribes over dinner at the first meeting with the soon-to-be in-laws.
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)