What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Parkinglotracer

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Both on Netflix.

The butler - a black White House butler who lives thru US changes from 1950’s to 2010. excellent movie.

The Woman King - good movie about woman warriors in Africa during slave trade. Little bloody.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Being John Malkovich, free on Amazon Prime, rated R, John Cusack, Cameron Diaz, comedy / drama / fantasy, 1999. A puppeteer gets into the head of movie star John Malkovich. Highly entertaining with a very unique plot that kept me interested the entire time. I don't know how I missed this movie the first time around. The movie won several awards. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

wabbott wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:06 pm
TacoLover wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:01 pm Colossus: The Forbin Project. Highly recommended.
One of the most underrated movies of the 70s. Stars Eric Braeden, who still today stars in the soap The Young and The Restless. Mrs. wabbott never misses an episode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Braeden
I saw it probably two weeks ago and continued to think of it all day for a week and still think of it. It's that interesting.
TacoLover

Post by TacoLover »

I saw Time Bandits and Megan.
Time Bandits was a product of its time. I didn't care for it. Not that it's bad, I just think it's dated. In contrast something like The Princess Bride which felt similar is I think timeless. Time Bandits is, of course, a product of Monty Python members. I think the Monty Python movies are fantastic but I find a lot of their independent movies to be simply weird or at least they don't resonate with me.

Megan - what a shock! I did NOT see any of the twists or turns on that. Such a surprise.

No, I'm kidding. Everything happened exactly as you would have expected. Every person who within the first few minutes you thought would die ... died. I can't think of a way it could have been more formulaic. That doesn't mean it's bad. If you're in the mood for that movie, it executes well. The end of the movie solves the problem exactly as you saw coming - I just wish that they had a more creative ending.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

The Good Nurse on Netflix. Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne are the leads. Decent way to pass an evening.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

The Garden of Calabria / Il Gardino Calabrese (2020).
The woman in the trailer is 100!
Note what she casually says, reminiscent of her experience in the war. And her music memories. This is very accurate for war survivors. They often bring up snippets in old age that seem innocuous or disjointed but they are editing out the rest of what they are remembering. Worth a watch.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Creeed III in IMAX. If you liked the other films, you'll like this one as well. I enjoyed it and it had a better storyline than I was anticipating. Jonathan Majors was an excellent villain and the boxing scenes were intense.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Next up from the library DVD queue...

Emily the Criminal (2022), Aubrey Plaza

Dark, someone on hard times who just can't get ahead in life because of the past. Well made Sundance selection, it held dw's and my attention, 7/10.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Death on the Nile, with Britbox on Amazon Prime.

This is the 2004 movie-length TV adaptation starring David Suchet as Poirot. "A wealthy American heiress honeymooning on a Nile cruise ship is stalked by a former friend, whose boyfriend she had stolen before making him her new husband." IMDb.

Recommend.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

MrBobcat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:43 pm
jjunk wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:50 pm Rewatched RRR with my wife last night since she hadn't seen it. Still as amazing as the first time. The movie is simply an experience unlike anything else. Nice to see it getting some attention at the awards shows (not that those really mean anything but it brings wider audiences).
I hadn't heard of it till I saw your recommendation. Mrs and I watched it tonight, hands down one of the most enjoyable movies we've watched in a long time.
Just watched this, on Netflix right now. Fantastic, 10/10. Everything a Marvel movie wishes it was. Excellent pacing, bonkers over the top action that is still completely legible, a bromance for the ages, flowers of the British empire destroyed in a dance-off, intrigue and myth. Most fun I've had at a movie in a while.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Watched two on Netflix this weekend, both winners.

"I Came By" - a graffiti artist who is politically active and breaks into homes (leaving a tag) of wealthy people. He breaks into a home of a retired judge...and doesnt come out. Nor does his mom who searches for him. The incinerator in the basement is active. The friend of the graffiti artist (who "retired") searches for answers. Very good.

"Mr. Herigan's Phone" - a wealthy old man (played well by Donald Sutherland) hires a 3rd grader to read to him and as the years pass (9 years) they develop quite a relationship. The boy gives Mr. Herigan a cell phone (this is in about 2010). When Mr. Herigan dies, the boy can communicate with him thru the phone (which he left in his pocket at the funeral). A Stephen King book. We liked it as it points out the issues with today's addiction to mobile devices. Also very good.

Ed
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Kagord wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:18 am Next up from the library DVD queue...

Emily the Criminal (2022), Aubrey Plaza

Dark, someone on hard times who just can't get ahead in life because of the past. Well made Sundance selection, it held dw's and my attention, 7/10.
:thumbsup
All the Best, | Joe
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Since my better half went to bed early one night, I decided to watch This is Spinal Tap since it has been a while.

7.9/11 on IMDb.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Circe

Post by Circe »

Artful Dodger wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:45 pm I Care A Lot - Rosalind Pike & Peter Dinklage

I read some of the earlier posts. This is a serious topic - elders taken advantage of by court appointed guardians, but this movie is a comedy and it’s good overall.

My initial impression - one sick sick comedy and karma gets you in the end.
Recently watched this and recommended it to a few people. I can't say that I liked it but it's something worth seeing if you have older relatives or have any connection to eldercare. The people I recommended it to have therapy dogs who visit eldercare places and one is considering a guardianship. It's a very dark humor and brings out issues to think about.
Circe

Post by Circe »

TCM had Casablanca on last night. They have Oscar winners on all month. I couldn't help it -- it's still mesmerizing. Since I'd seen it a few times over the years, I figured that I'd get some filing done while it was on. Nope.

A couple of weeks ago, I watched The Palm Beach Story on TCM with Mary Astor, Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea and Rudy Vallee. I'm not a big fan of "screwball comedies" of that era but this one was cute and had a surprise ending. I'd had a hard day and it was fun.
It's #77 in the American Film Institute's top 100 laughs.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Random Musings wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:12 pm Since my better half went to bed early one night, I decided to watch This is Spinal Tap since it has been a while.

7.9/11 on IMDb.

RM
Why not just make the rating scale 1-10 and reduce your rating to 6.8?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Kagord wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:34 am
Random Musings wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:12 pm Since my better half went to bed early one night, I decided to watch This is Spinal Tap since it has been a while.

7.9/11 on IMDb.

RM
That's not the Spinal Tap way!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

7.9/11 on IMDb.

RM

Because this one goes to 11.
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
wm631

Post by wm631 »

Circe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:11 pm A couple of weeks ago, I watched The Palm Beach Story on TCM with Mary Astor, Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea and Rudy Vallee. I'm not a big fan of "screwball comedies" of that era but this one was cute and had a surprise ending. I'd had a hard day and it was fun.
Try the other Preston Sturges films of the early 1940s. Think: Woody Allen's later comedy films - if Allen had been raised in Middle America during the early 1900's. He had an astonishing streak of 5 or 6 bright flicks that are unlike anything else in Hollywood at the time; only one a "clunker" - "The Great Moment" (about the discovery of anesthesia. :oops: Well, everybody's allowed a miss ...). My favorite is "Hail the Conquering Hero" (1944), but they're all worth checking out and I still chuckle thinking about Corporal Ratzkywatzky in "Miracle Of Morgan's Creek" (1943). That film was held up by an outraged Catholic Board Of Decency for about a year, and you'll understand why when you see it. :happy
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Prey on Hulu

The description sounds like a woman empowerment movie. A girl wants to be a hunter for her Indian tribe. She is discouraged because it is not a woman's role. The rite of passage for hunters is to kill a predator, that is to hunt something that is hunting you (this also helps protect the tribe.)

The part of it that makes it fun is that the predator she chooses for her ritual is a Predator, the alien race from the Arnold Schwarzenegger film.

Palm Springs on Hulu

Similar to "Groundhog Day" only the love interest is caught in the time loop, too. The way they break the loop is better than in Groundhog Day.

Recommend both movies.

Weird - The Al Yankovich Story on Roku (free with ads)

This was a parody of biopics, written by Weird Al after "Rocketman" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" came out. You can view it on your Roku device, or at Roku.com for free. Plays up on the "Weird Al" bump, in which songs that he parodied became more successful. Surprisingly good for a movie I had never heard of before. (starring Daniel Radcliff and Even Rachel Wood).
Last edited by wolf359 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I just watched Goodbye Lenin. This is a comedy set in the former East Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification. Quite funny. The first ~15 minutes of the film set up the situation for the humor.

It is in German with English subtitles.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

uaeebs86 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:56 am

7.9/11 on IMDb.

RM

Because this one goes to 11.
That's why they earned themselves a distinguished place in rock history as one of Britan’s loudest bands.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Tár (2022) in the theater, starring Cate Blanchett. One of our local movie houses is showing all the Oscar nominees for best film.

Much has been written about it but Blanchett's performance is truly tremendous. Credit is also due to the director Todd Field, who wrote the screenplay.

I prefer to know as little as possible before experiencing a film aside from its general subject matter and principal artists, but here's the NYT Critic's Pick review of Tár:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/06/movi ... eview.html
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

Circe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:11 pm TCM had Casablanca on last night. They have Oscar winners on all month. I couldn't help it -- it's still mesmerizing. Since I'd seen it a few times over the years, I figured that I'd get some filing done while it was on. Nope.
I had exactly the same experience, re-watching "Casablanca" this week. The perfect blend of drama, melodrama, action, romance, and some well-placed humor. Greed, sacrifice, fear, courage, cynicism, duty, torment, and above all, love. Not to mention some of the most memorable dialog in any film. Ingrid Bergman was "luminous." And Bogart the king of cool (when not tormented by his love for "Ilsa"). No fancy special effects or extended fight scenes needed to hold my attention, just a fabulous story beautifully portrayed.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
Paul Basenberg

Post by Paul Basenberg »

Matahari wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:01 pm Tár (2022) in the theater, starring Cate Blanchett. One of our local movie houses is showing all the Oscar nominees for best film.

Much has been written about it but Blanchett's performance is truly tremendous. Credit is also due to the director Todd Field, who wrote the screenplay.

I prefer to know as little as possible before experiencing a film aside from its general subject matter and principal artists, but here's the NYT Critic's Pick review of Tár:

I just watched the movie TAR on Peacock last night. I thought Cate Blanchett did a great performance. However, I didn't really "get" the movie.
I read a few reviews and I still don't get it. The movie seems very disjointed and doesn't seem to go anywhere. So do the reviews. However, as mentioned, I was extremely impressed with Cate Blanchett's performance. Her performance, to me, made a completely boring and pointless story worth watching.
Paul Basenberg

Post by Paul Basenberg »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:37 am Watched "The Outfit" on Amazon last night https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14114802/ . It was quite well done.
I agree. The movie was very well done.
Paul Basenberg

Post by Paul Basenberg »

MP173 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:37 pm "Vengeance" directed and stars BJ Novak (The Office).

We liked it.

A NYC podcaster goes to West Texas to report on a death of a woman he had a casual hook up with (and couldnt remember). A study in blue state podcaster going to red state. Pretty good cast. I rated 4.5/5.0.

Didnt see the ending coming.

Ed
I didn't see the ending coming either. Good movie. Good mix of drama, comedy and local culture.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Paul Basenberg wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:20 pm I just watched the movie TAR on Peacock last night. I thought Cate Blanchett did a great pet'eem to go anywhere. So do the reviews. However, as mentioned, I was extremely impressed with Cate Blanchett's performance. Her performance, to me, made a completely boring and pointless story worth watching.
Some movies are just a "slice of life"... a window into someone's life without any real plot other than character growth and/or self-destruction.

One can argue whether they're entertainment or not. Sometimes they're just art. And the art can be good or bad.

And my post is becoming as pointless as the reviews. :)
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Paul Basenberg wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:20 pm
Matahari wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:01 pm Tár (2022) in the theater, starring Cate Blanchett. One of our local movie houses is showing all the Oscar nominees for best film.

I just watched the movie TAR on Peacock last night. I thought Cate Blanchett did a great performance. However, I didn't really "get" the movie.
I read a few reviews and I still don't get it. The movie seems very disjointed and doesn't seem to go anywhere. So do the reviews. However, as mentioned, I was extremely impressed with Cate Blanchett's performance. Her performance, to me, made a completely boring and pointless story worth watching.
I don't have access to Peacock but would like to watch it again. Seeing it on the big screen, I was entranched by Blanchett. I was also fascinated by the her world, with which I have no familiarity, save knowing some of the names mentioned ("Lenny," "von Karajan," "Abbado,"...).

The story does pose some thematic questions, which are thought- and conversation-provoking: the invention of self; the corrupting influence of power, particularly that which was hard-won; the changing nature of what is acceptable behavior; sexual exploitation (there are references to James Levine, Placido Domingo); and, perhaps, the "inevitability" of justice, among others. It's also a "ghost story" in the way Tár was haunted by what she knew to be the consequences of her malfeasance. Some of the reviews simplify the story to being one about of "cancel culture," but, to me, that is too simplistic.
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

SmallSaver wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:04 am
jjunk wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:50 pm Rewatched RRR with my wife last night since she hadn't seen it. Still as amazing as the first time. The movie is simply an experience unlike anything else. Nice to see it getting some attention at the awards shows (not that those really mean anything but it brings wider audiences).
I hadn't heard of it till I saw your recommendation. Mrs and I watched it tonight, hands down one of the most enjoyable movies we've watched in a long time.
Just watched this, on Netflix right now. Fantastic, 10/10. Everything a Marvel movie wishes it was. Excellent pacing, bonkers over the top action that is still completely legible, a bromance for the ages, flowers of the British empire destroyed in a dance-off, intrigue and myth. Most fun I've had at a movie in a while.
Great movie!
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
retireIn2020

Post by retireIn2020 »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:30 am “Greenland” on Hulu. On of the best action thrillers I have watch in a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_(film)

Best.
Tony
I watched this movie after seeing your post. Thank you, good movie, I enjoyed it.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abide
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Matahari wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:20 pm
Paul Basenberg wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:20 pm

I don't have access to Peacock but would like to watch it again. Seeing it on the big screen, I was entranched by Blanchett. I was also fascinated by the her world, with which I have no familiarity, save knowing some of the names mentioned ("Lenny," "von Karajan," "Abbado,"...).

The story does pose some thematic questions, which are thought- and conversation-provoking: the invention of self; the corrupting influence of power, particularly that which was hard-won; the changing nature of what is acceptable behavior; sexual exploitation (there are references to James Levine, Placido Domingo); and, perhaps, the "inevitability" of justice, among others. It's also a "ghost story" in the way Tár was haunted by what she knew to be the consequences of her malfeasance. Some of the reviews simplify the story to being one about of "cancel culture," but, to me, that is too simplistic.
Although I subtly mocked the film, I could watch it again as well. The fact that the plot is (mostly) subordinate to character actually works in it's favor: You don't think, "Well, I already know what happened" so I'm spoiled and won't watch it again." Instead, you concentrate on the character -- the mannerisms, facial expressions, gestures, etc. The photo of her in the New York Times review shows her ferocious intensity as expressed in body posture, and that's the type of stuff that Cate Blanchett brought to the film and is why everyone is raving about her, even if they are not raving about the film.

But yeah, there also are some themes worth discussing, but aside from the ones applicable strictly to the music world, it's hard to find dramas these days that don't have meaningful themes. Though I see it more in the TV series world, where deep storytelling is prized as opposed to the box-office ratings-chasing that drives the production of a lot of movies.
hoping

Post by hoping »

Living. A wonderful movie.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

wm631 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:05 pm
Circe wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:11 pm A couple of weeks ago, I watched The Palm Beach Story on TCM with Mary Astor, Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea and Rudy Vallee. I'm not a big fan of "screwball comedies" of that era but this one was cute and had a surprise ending. I'd had a hard day and it was fun.
Try the other Preston Sturges films of the early 1940s. Think: Woody Allen's later comedy films - if Allen had been raised in Middle America during the early 1900's. He had an astonishing streak of 5 or 6 bright flicks that are unlike anything else in Hollywood at the time; only one a "clunker" - "The Great Moment" (about the discovery of anesthesia. :oops: Well, everybody's allowed a miss ...). My favorite is "Hail the Conquering Hero" (1944), but they're all worth checking out and I still chuckle thinking about Corporal Ratzkywatzky in "Miracle Of Morgan's Creek" (1943). That film was held up by an outraged Catholic Board Of Decency for about a year, and you'll understand why when you see it. :happy
Totally correct about Preston Sturges. "Sullivan's Travels" is probably my all-time favorite movie. I stumbled across it flicking channels one day, was lucky enough to catch it at the beginning scene, and that was it. "The Lady Eve" is another wonderfully funny movie.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I re-watched "Ghandi" last night [recorded from Hallmark Movie Channel].
Ben Kingsley won an Oscar for best actor and the movie won for best picture and best director in 1983.
The movie was way better than I remember, and I remembered it being very good. I think I last saw it 30+ years ago.

I don't think I have ever cried more times during a movie!
Tears of elation at successes, tears of sorrow at the tragedies.

There are are lot of contrasts in the movie -- opulence vs poverty, ruling class vs peasants, blind obedience vs enlightenment, the moral certitude of recognizing and doing the right thing vs the cost and consequences of those actions, etc.

A terrific movie about a remarkable man! It almost makes be believe in saints and miracles.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

RRR on Netflix, not rated, N.T. Rama Rao Jr., Ram Charan, 2022, action / adventure / drama. A fictitious story about two revolutionaries and their journey which incited them to start a revolution in the 1920s. The story revolves around British occupied India.

I started watching this and was wondering what to make of it. After a very short time, all I could think of was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon meets Gandhi, the musical." The movie is 3 hours long. Was it too long? No. Just think of it as entertainment and watch. Excellent.

doobiedoo - Good coincidence. I wanted to also mention that another 3 hour movie to watch from that same time frame is the original 1982 Gandhi with Ben Kingsley. I have it on DVD.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

jjunk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:51 pm Creeed III in IMAX. If you liked the other films, you'll like this one as well. I enjoyed it and it had a better storyline than I was anticipating. Jonathan Majors was an excellent villain and the boxing scenes were intense.
Really liked Creed III. Better than 2, not quite as good as 1. But very entertaining.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MDfan wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:23 am
jjunk wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:51 pm Creeed III in IMAX. If you liked the other films, you'll like this one as well. I enjoyed it and it had a better storyline than I was anticipating. Jonathan Majors was an excellent villain and the boxing scenes were intense.
Really liked Creed III. Better than 2, not quite as good as 1. But very entertaining.
Just watched Creed II yesterday on Amazon. Mediocre, at best.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

The Eagle Has Landed, free with ads on Amazon Prime.

An oldie and goodie, set in WW2. Robert Duvall and Michael Caine play Germans who are plotting to kidnap Winston Churchill. Donald Sutherland is not so great as an IRA member who is helping them. To my surprise, I recognized a young Jenny Agutter (beloved Sister Julienne on Call the Midwife) as Donald Sutherland's love interest. Also Larry Hagman as a US Army colonel.

Beautiful scenery - most of the movie was filmed in an extremely picturesque English village.

Dragged a bit in the middle but I still give it a thumbs up.
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

jjunk wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:02 pm I finally got to see Barbarian since it just showed up on HBO Max. Easily one of the best horror movies I've seen in the last 10yrs. Roller coaster of a movie.
Watched this as my Friday night movie. Can highly recommend if you want to have a warped weekend. After the final credits started, my partner and I both said "... whaaaa" and agreed that it was an incredible horror movie.

The Journal had a write-up earlier in the fall.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Luther: The Fallen Sun on Netflix.

I enjoyed the series so it is nice to see Luther return. Not as good as the series imo but watchable.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

SmallSaver wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:04 am
I tried to watch it, but have to admit my hearing (even with captions) couldn't keep up with the dialog and the characters. Still, the visuals were great, the action was fantastic, and the dance-off was amazing. I don't know much about dance, but that extended sequence was absolutely spectacular.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
wm631

Post by wm631 »

Dantes wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:59 am
wm631 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:05 pm
Totally correct about Preston Sturges. "Sullivan's Travels" is probably my all-time favorite movie. I stumbled across it flicking channels one day, was lucky enough to catch it at the beginning scene, and that was it. "The Lady Eve" is another wonderfully funny movie.
Also include "The Great McGinty" (1939) - I think that one started the whole shebang rolling for Sturges, and "Christmas in July" (1940) with Dick Powell, which I think is even more charming little film than that breakthrough flick. No sophomore jinx with Sturges. He started hitting his stride at that point. If I remember correctly, his beginnings were as a screenwriter, and an interesting early 1930's Spencer Tracy, Colleen Moore (!) movie drama "The Power and the Glory". I haven't seen that one in a long time, but I remember being impressed that it hadn't aged much, and it's intelligence. Later - after his heyday (Paramount changed business hands, and Sturges could never get the new, stupid studio heads to understand his eccentric approach to films) - he still had a couple of follow-up, off-beat failures with Harold Lloyd and, then with Rex Harrison (how's that for diversity? :D ): "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock" (1947) and "Unfaithfully Yours" (1948). Both are flawed, but still worth checking out because Sturges was such a gifted, original writer.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I recently watched "Saving Private Ryan". Private Ryan was a 101st Division paratrooper in WWII. It's a good movie.

I was with the 101st Division when we were surrounded by Germans at Bastogne, Belgium in December, 1944. I later marched in the Victory Parade in NYC..

Taylor Larimore
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Conch55 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:33 am Luther: The Fallen Sun on Netflix.

I enjoyed the series so it is nice to see Luther return. Not as good as the series imo but watchable.
One of my favorite series, we are looking forward to watching this soon.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The Quiet Girl (2022). A quiet, neglected young girl is sent away from her dysfunctional home to live with foster parents for the summer. A beautiful and remarkable film. I saw it in the theater.

Highly recommended.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:44 pm Bogleheads:

I recently watched "Saving Private Ryan". Private Ryan was a 101st Division paratrooper in WWII. It's a good movie.

I was with the 101st Division when we were surrounded by Germans at Bastogne, Belgium in December, 1944. I later marched in the Victory Parade in NYC..

Taylor Larimore
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?"
Taylor: my dad was also in the Battle of the Bulge (99th) but got injured and evacuated early on. He watched the first few minutes of SPR and had to turn it off. It was just too intense for him.

Thank you for being one of our real life heroes!
William4589

Post by William4589 »

Sci-Fi (PG-13) Action / Violence

Starring: Adam Driver & Ariana Greenblatt

I pulled out my Regal App to reserve a seat for this movie on a Saturday evening and it showed I was the only one in the theater, even post-covid that’s never a good sign. I thoroughly enjoy sci-fi flicks but this one is a dud. No chemistry between Adam Driver and his co-star Ariana Greenblatt. No real character development and very little backstory. Ariana as Koa was perhaps the best part of the movie. She seems to be a cute kid with a bright future. Yes there are dinosaurs (shown in trailer) and there’s action but I felt like I was watching an offshoot of Jurassic Park that takes place in space. Guess I’m somewhat jaded from watching all of the Jurassic movies. Honestly a few minutes into this movie and I was looking at my phone searching when John Wick: Chapter 4 will be coming out. I like Adam Driver but I don’t think he can carry a movie, especially one with such a poor storyline.

TL;DR This should have been a direct to Amazon Prime streaming movie so save your money.
"The trouble is, you think you have time." - Jack Kornfield
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Tubes wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:50 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:44 pm Bogleheads:

Taylor Larimore
Taylor: my dad was also in the Battle of the Bulge (99th) but got injured and evacuated early on. He watched the first few minutes of SPR and had to turn it off. It was just too intense for him.

Thank you for being one of our real life heroes!
My grandfather was also 101st during WWII. 502nd D Company. I still have the letters he wrote my grandmother from Bastogne. We took him to see SPR when it came out in the theaters and asked him how realistic it was. He only said "It was way worse than that". That's all that needed to be said. Thank you for your service Mr. Larimore, I'm glad you made it home safely.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

EO (2022, Poland, subtitled)

Follows a donkey who encounters on his journeys good and bad people, experiences joy and pain, exploring a vision of modern Europe through his eyes. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19652910/

This is a story about a donkey. We follow his progress after he escapes his masters in his journey from Poland to Italy. This is not a Disney-style film with happy talking animals, there is little dialog throughout the film. Not everyone will like this film but it is quite touching in some scenes. I liked it and I recommend it.

From Wikipedia:
EO (Polish: IO) is a 2022 drama road movie directed by Jerzy Skolimowski. Inspired by Robert Bresson's 1966 film Au Hasard Balthazar, it follows the life of a donkey born in a Polish circus. The film premiered in competition at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2022, where it won the Jury Prize, tying with The Eight Mountains. Submitted by Poland, EO was nominated for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film at the 95th Academy Awards. (emphasis mine) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EO_(film)

But it’s up against All Quiet on the Western Front (2022, Germany) for the Oscar, stiff competition! So It’ll probably lose.

We streamed it on The Criterion Channel.