What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 »

“The Town” on Tubi.

Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Town_(2010_film)

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Ticket to Paradise, Georgy Clooney and Julia Roberts

It's ok...
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Watched polar express with my 5 year old daughter. I wasn’t expecting to like it, but I did.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Delete
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Moon on Blu-ray DVD, rated R, 2009, Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey (voice only), drama / mystery / sci-fi. A lunar miner is waiting to go home after his contract is up, but an accident changes his situation. It's an interesting plot that eventually unfolds as seen from the miner's perspective. The movie kept my interest the entire time. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:32 am Moon on Blu-ray DVD, rated R, 2009, Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey (voice only), drama / mystery / sci-fi. A lunar miner is waiting to go home after his contract is up, but an accident changes his situation. It's an interesting plot that eventually unfolds as seen from the miner's perspective. The movie kept my interest the entire time. I liked it.
This movie shows just how good of an actor Sam Rockwell is (not that it should be news to anyone). I really liked this movie as well.
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

I enjoyed the movie "Nope."

Plot: "After random objects falling from the sky result in the death of their father, ranch-owning siblings OJ and Emerald Haywood attempt to capture video evidence of an unidentified flying object with the help of tech salesman Angel Torres and documentarian Antlers Holst" (Universal Pictures).
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

If These Walls Could Sing (2022) Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Jimmy Page, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Shirley Bassey, John Williams, and others, directed by Mary McCartney

Documentary of the 90 year history of Abbey Road Studios, London, including interviews with some of the musicians who recorded there and video clips of recording sessions. Recommended. We streamed it on Disney +
Cautionary Tale

Post by Cautionary Tale »

The Fablemans. 8/10.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I watched "A Man Called Ove" last night from the novel by Fredrik Bachman made in 2015. It was on Prime Video. A really enjoyable movie about an old grumpy man who eventually becomes beloved by his neighbors. A revised edition with Tom Hanks will be out shortly called "A Man Called Otto". I don't think it will live up to the older version.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched "Glass Onion" on Netflix. It was OK, the ending was ridiculous - wife thought it was fun, but I just can't get into plot twists that are totally illogical.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

The worst person in the world - A Norwegian film, strongly recommend!

Watched it on Apple TV
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

bengal22 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:04 pm Our new favorite CHRISTMAS movie is "It happened on Fifth Avenue" which can be seen on Turner Classic Movies. It starts out about a guy that breaks in and occupies a mansion on 5th Avenue during the Christmas season.
Saw this too. Not bad!
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

KSOC wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:31 am
bengal22 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:04 pm Our new favorite CHRISTMAS movie is "It happened on Fifth Avenue" which can be seen on Turner Classic Movies. It starts out about a guy that breaks in and occupies a mansion on 5th Avenue during the Christmas season.
Saw this too. Not bad!
I also saw this recently. Cute movie.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Sons of Liberty by History Channel

Painful to watch as it is so inaccurate that it can only be described as from an alternative universe. For an in depth review:

https://allthingsliberty.com/2015/01/di ... ty-series/

As noted in the review, the real history is more interesting than what is portrayed.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:06 am
jjunk wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:26 am
ResearchMed wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:51 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:38 am For our Christmas Eve 'family' movie - we watched Glass Onion starting Daniel Craig.

Successor to Knives Out, it differs that it's more of a comedy but still retains much of the mystery structure. In short, a billionaire invites a group of friends to his island for a murder mystery weekend - but it does not goes quite as envisioned. We enjoyed it, although the over-the-top ending strains credulity. I felt like there was some intended satire in there - poking fun at the narcissistic billionaires currently plaguing our country.

We just watched Glass Onion and it was ... stranger than we expected, not that we really knew what to expect.

"Over-the-top ending strains credulity" is among the understatements of the year.
The number of things that couldn't have worked... let me count the ways...
Without giving away a spoiler, someone has something like some charcoal on one side of their face!?

We weren't sorry we watched it, but we weren't particularly pleased, either.
It was just too strange, and in an unbelievable way.

We were expecting more of it.

OTOH, Janelle Monáe was terrific. (She was also in Hidden Figures.)

RM
We just finished this as well. I liked it more than the first but you're both right, the ending left something to be desired. Still entertaining. If you like Monae, you might want to check out Antebellum. I thought it was a really interesting idea for a movie and she was excellent in it.

Last night we also watched Polar with Mads Mikkelsen because I think he's great. He was good in this but it was a very weird movie. I didn't realize it was based on a graphic novel until we finished. The ending was a very nice twist but the movie is very violent and mostly silly. It was mindless entertainment but I don't think I'd recommend it unless you were a fan of the novel.
I watched "Glass Onion" last night. I really liked "Knives Out," so I was hoping for a great movie. Very disappointing. As noted above, unbelievable ending. Some good actors, but wasted in roles that were mostly caricatures (aside from Craig's and Monae's). I thought the eccentric billionaire was especially unconvincing, though in light of Sam Bankman-Fried perhaps I am too unkind. Of course, I did like the Beatles tunes: "Blackbird" and "Glass Onion."

Knives Out was miles better. Not even close. Glass Onion was ok.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MDfan wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:32 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:38 am For our Christmas Eve 'family' movie - we watched Glass Onion starting Daniel Craig.

Successor to Knives Out, it differs that it's more of a comedy but still retains much of the mystery structure. In short, a billionaire invites a group of friends to his island for a murder mystery weekend - but it does not goes quite as envisioned. We enjoyed it, although the over-the-top ending strains credulity. I felt like there was some intended satire in there - poking fun at the narcissistic billionaires currently plaguing our country.

We just watched Glass Onion and it was ... stranger than we expected, not that we really knew what to expect.

"Over-the-top ending strains credulity" is among the understatements of the year.
Without giving away a spoiler, someone has something like some charcoal on one side of their face!?

RM
We just finished this as well. I liked it more than the first but you're both right, the ending left something to be desired. Still entertaining. If you like Monae, you might want to check out Antebellum. I thought it was a really interesting idea for a movie and she was excellent in it.

Last night we also watched Polar with Mads Mikkelsen because I think he's great. He was good in this but it was a very weird movie. I didn't realize it was based on a graphic novel until we finished. The ending was a very nice twist but the movie is very violent and mostly silly. It was mindless entertainment but I don't think I'd recommend it unless you were a fan of the novel.
I watched "Glass Onion" last night. I really liked "Knives Out," so I was hoping for a great movie. Very disappointing. As noted above, unbelievable ending. Some good actors, but wasted in roles that were mostly caricatures (aside from Craig's and Monae's). I thought the eccentric billionaire was especially unconvincing, though in light of Sam Bankman-Fried perhaps I am too unkind. Of course, I did like the Beatles tunes: "Blackbird" and "Glass Onion."

Seems like everybody is in agreement. The ending was ridiculous, totally implausible. It was fairly entertaining, but the first one was better (although IMO not itself great).
Newlife

Post by Newlife »

mfswatz9 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:54 pm I watched "A Man Called Ove" last night from the novel by Fredrik Bachman made in 2015. It was on Prime Video. A really enjoyable movie about an old grumpy man who eventually becomes beloved by his neighbors. A revised edition with Tom Hanks will be out shortly called "A Man Called Otto". I don't think it will live up to the older version.
Great suggestion! I watched "A Man Called Ove" last night. It was fantastic.

I watched it free on Kanopy via my public library.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

North by Northwest, on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable channel.

This is a classic 1959 suspense/thriller movie with a romance mixed in, starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, and James Mason. The movie was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It's also one of my favorite train movies.

Recommended.

trailer
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:42 am
Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:14 am
Nicolas wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:46 pm "Modern Times" is a must-see for fans of Chaplin's work.

My first viewing in several decades. We streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Naturally you'll also have to [re]watch City Lights and Gold Rush.
Yes, I’ve seen them more recently but yes, I’ll watch them again too. The man was a genius.
Genius indeed, and being classics, his films offer new discoveries each time I watch them. Sometimes in just one scene, there is a world of comic genius, such as the humor and pathos in City Lights where the blind woman throws the water. It's what is so painstakingly developed between the two before the water hits that makes it both funny and sad. We gradually discover what he's discovered about her blindness and feel his understanding and sympathy - and even the water.

A great bio on Chaplin is David Robinson's book, Chaplin: His Life and Art.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Fallible wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:27 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:46 pm "Modern Times" is a must-see for fans of Chaplin's work.

Yes, I’ve seen them more recently but yes, I’ll watch them again too. The man was a genius.
Genius indeed, and being classics, his films offer new discoveries each time I watch them. Sometimes in just one scene, there is a world of comic genius, such as the humor and pathos in City Lights where the blind woman throws the water. It's what is so painstakingly developed between the two before the water hits that makes it both funny and sad. We gradually discover what he's discovered about her blindness and feel his understanding and sympathy - and even the water.

The final scene in City Lights is one of the most moving I’ve seen on film, it nearly brings me to tears. I won’t describe it here for the sake of those who haven’t seen it.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:55 pm
MDfan wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:32 pm

RM

Seems like everybody is in agreement. The ending was ridiculous, totally implausible. It was fairly entertaining, but the first one was better (although IMO not itself great).
I loved the first one. One of my favorite movies in 2021.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:19 pm North by Northwest, on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable channel.

This is a classic 1959 suspense/thriller movie with a romance mixed in, starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, and James Mason. The movie was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It's also one of my favorite train movies.

Recommended.

trailer
It's the eson I want to go on a cross country Train Trip.

I wanna be Cary traveling with Eva Marie! Unfortunately, my wife does not want to play her part. 😒
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Circe

Post by Circe »

I just watched the last quarter of North by Northwest on TCM also. Such a good movie! After that, In the Heat of the Night came on. Hard to turn away from!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:05 pm

The final scene in City Lights is one of the most moving I’ve seen on film, it nearly brings me to tears. I won’t describe it here for the sake of those who haven’t seen it.
It certainly brought tears to my eyes and such a fitting ending to all that went before it.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

nokoast wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:39 pm
Nicolas wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 pm Once Upon a Time in the West (1968, Italy)

Spaghetti western with Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Jack Elam, Keenan Wynn, directed by Sergio Leone, music by Ennio Morricone.

A mysterious stranger with a harmonica joins forces with a notorious desperado to protect a beautiful widow from a ruthless assassin working for the railroad.

This is the last major spaghetti western that I hadn’t seen and it’s a beautiful and pleasurable film to watch. The plot may be thin but it’s so atmospheric it takes you to a different place in space and time. And if you like steam engines you’ll be especially delighted. Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel (will be gone on Feb. 1).
One of my favorite westerns. Great movie.
Watched this on a plane during the holidays. I downloaded it at highest quality from Amazon Prime, viewed it on my Amazon Fire 10, and listened to it with Sony noise-cancelling bluetooth headphones. It's amazing how good the experience can be these days for a fairly small investment. Stunning visuals and very clear sound.

Apparently this was a version restored to very close to the original version released in Europe (~20 minutes had been removed for the original USA version).
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Louis Armstrong's Black & Blues (2022) Directed by Sacha Jenkins

A one and three quarter hour documentary of the master jazz musician and great man, Louis Armstrong, who rose from the depths of poverty in New Orleans to help found an entirely new branch of music. The documentary draws from Armstrong’s own private audio tapes where he expounds on his philosophy of life and music. Many interviews with other musicians and clips of his performances are included. Recommended. I streamed it on Apple TV.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14447458/? ... _sr_srsg_4
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

Newlife wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:57 pm
mfswatz9 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:54 pm I watched "A Man Called Ove" last night from the novel by Fredrik Bachman made in 2015. It was on Prime Video. A really enjoyable movie about an old grumpy man who eventually becomes beloved by his neighbors. A revised edition with Tom Hanks will be out shortly called "A Man Called Otto". I don't think it will live up to the older version.
Great suggestion! I watched "A Man Called Ove" last night. It was fantastic.
This is one of my favorite films. Googling, I found that many people find this movie a tear-jerker, due to the themes of loneliness and loss in old age. Underneath the gruff exterior, Ove has a big heart, both figuratively and literally. A good and honest man, Ove is frequently misunderstood due to lack of social sophistication.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched "The Gray Man" on Netflix last night. Absolutely zero surprise that it was hated by critics but has high audience scores - I almost never agree with "critics". It's pretty good for what it is: a simple Bourne-esque, noisy and explosive action flick. We were all entertained.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Fallible wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:35 pm

It certainly brought tears to my eyes and such a fitting ending to all that went before it.
Also remarkable and not well known is that he wrote, directed, produced, composed(*), edited, etc. as well as starred in this and many of his other movies.

(*) e.g. Smile from Modern Times, sung by Nat King Cole
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

slowandsteadywins wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:51 pm I enjoyed the movie "Nope."

Plot: "After random objects falling from the sky result in the death of their father, ranch-owning siblings OJ and Emerald Haywood attempt to capture video evidence of an unidentified flying object with the help of tech salesman Angel Torres and documentarian Antlers Holst" (Universal Pictures).
meh, I rented this one and was a bit underwhelmed... I think it was a bit overdone towards the end. First half = scary, second half = ridiculous.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:17 pm
Fallible wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:35 pm

Also remarkable and not well known is that he wrote, directed, produced, composed(*), edited, etc. as well as starred in this and many of his other movies.

(*) e.g. Smile from Modern Times, sung by Nat King Cole
Yes, and it doesn't stop there. And watching those films starting from the early silents, it's possible to "see" them again in the form of their influence on current, and surely future, cinema. An example is WALL-E from Pixar Animation in 2008, about a lonely garbage-collecting robot who falls in love with another robot named EVE, who comes to love him. Chaplin is there especially in the early scenes where WALL-E collects junk such as old silverware, then brings it home and carefully adds it to his collection of junk. It's funny and sad, the Chaplin pathos.

It would be interesting to know what Chaplin thought of his influences. Whatever,
when he died, he was called by the Italian filmmaker Federico Fellini ''a sort of Adam from whom we are all descended.''
Last edited by Fallible on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:19 pm North by Northwest, on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable channel.

Recommended.

trailer
I saw this movie a number of times. First time was in the movie theater back in 1959. Hitchcock's movies never get old.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

“Puss in Boots 2” - a frenetic roller coaster ride with a slight story — Puss is pursuing a magic wishing star with other fairy tale figures in hot competition with him.

The vocal characterizations are first rate, with lots of inventive moments. But like a lot of modern flicks, the “exciting climax” is stretched to the max, and gets a wee bit tiresome.

OTOH, my wife slept through part of it.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Emily the criminal

A young woman, struggling with debt, gets involved with stolen credit cards. Becoming a "dummy shopper" she escalates her purchase's and gets deeper into the criminal underworld.

We enjoyed the movie and Aubrey Plaza as Emily.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

minesweep wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:48 pm

Recommended.

trailer
I saw this movie a number of times. First time was in the movie theater back in 1959. Hitchcock's movies never get old.
Back before cell phones, when airports used to page people, I remember hearing "Mr. Kaplan, Mr. George Kaplan, please pick up the white courtesy phone" a few times over the years, always got a chuckle from that.

You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

Recommended.

trailer
Fabulous movie, great cast, wonderful performances. And if I recall correctly, Cary Grant's wardrobe was viewed as the epitome of the well-dressed man. (I'm an extremely casual--sloppy--dresser myself, but even I can appreciate how good he and the rest of the cast looked.)

One of my favorite lines, which Cary delivered so well: "Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself 'slightly' killed."
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

I enjoyed a couple of Netflix crime movies over the last couple nights. "Emily the Criminal" and "I Came by". Decent plot lines with a couple twists I had not seen before. I can't say the characters are likable, but they are pretty interesting.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Matahari wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:24 pm
brcarls wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:51 pm
rockstar wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:13 pm Glass Onion. It's basically an Agatha Christie story at the end of the day.
Can you suggest other any recent-ish movies that will appeal to Agatha Christie fans? My mother really enjoyed both Knives Out movies and asked for more... But I have no idea, I don't watch those type of movies.
There are Kenneth Branagh's "Murder on the Orient Express" (2017) and "Death on the Nile" (2022).

If she is interested in a longer format, there was a 3-episode adaptation of "And Then There Were None" (2015) that is quite good: https://www.amazon.com/And-Then-There-W ... B01CRGR232

If she likes that one, Sarah Phelps also adapted "Order by Innocence" (2018), "The ABC Murders" (2018) and "The Pale Horse" (2021), all of which are based on Agatha Christie's novels.

https://www.amazon.com/Ordeal-By-Innoce ... B086R5QJY9

https://www.amazon.com/Agatha-Christies ... B086HWSV8P

https://www.amazon.com/Agatha-Christies ... B08BYZ1RJ8

Further back, there was a series of Miss Marple TV adaptations, starring first Geraldine McEwan and later Julia McKenzie as the eponymous sleuth:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1734537/

Stream here: https://www.britbox.com/us/show/p04mbtzt?autoplay=true
See How They Run

A Christie-like murder mystery set around a production of The Mousetrap. Adrian Brody, Sam Rockwell and a host of others. Fun entertainment.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Bullitt - 1968

Lt. Frank Bullitt - Steve McQueen, who invented Alpha Male Cool.
Cathy - Jaquieline Bisset, 100% all female, smoking hot.
Sen. Walter Chalmers - Robert Vaughn, who perfectly captured the type specimen political climber.
Capt. Sam Bennett - Simon Oakland, worried about the police bureaucracy and his pension, while trying to be a good cop.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:41 am I enjoyed a couple of Netflix crime movies over the last couple nights. "Emily the Criminal" and "I Came by". Decent plot lines with a couple twists I had not seen before. I can't say the characters are likable, but they are pretty interesting.
I also recently watched "Emily the Criminal" and liked it. I enjoyed seeing Aubrey Plaza in a leading role since I enjoyed the TV series "Parks and Recreation" of which she was a cast member. She's also in "The White Lotus" on HBO which I plan to check out.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:08 am

Recommended.

trailer
Fabulous movie, great cast, wonderful performances. And if I recall correctly, Cary Grant's wardrobe was viewed as the epitome of the well-dressed man. (I'm an extremely casual--sloppy--dresser myself, but even I can appreciate how good he and the rest of the cast looked.)

One of my favorite lines, which Cary delivered so well: "Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself 'slightly' killed."
A great film, I’ve seen it a number of times and will again.
Yes, Cary Grant was a good dresser. After his death Grant’s daughter donated his clothes, anonymously. https://putthison.com/what-happened-to- ... -theres-a/
Another great dresser was Charlie Watts.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

Watched Our Friend on Amazon Prime.

Quite the emotional movie with stand out performances.
Circe

Post by Circe »

wabbott wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:34 pm Bullitt - 1968

Lt. Frank Bullitt - Steve McQueen, who invented Alpha Male Cool.
Cathy - Jaquieline Bisset, 100% all female, smoking hot.
Sen. Walter Chalmers - Robert Vaughn, who perfectly captured the type specimen political climber.
Capt. Sam Bennett - Simon Oakland, worried about the police bureaucracy and his pension, while trying to be a good cop.
I hadn't seen Bullitt in years. The only thing I remembered about it was the chase scene. I had a project to do when it was on TCM but I ended up watching the movie instead because it's so engrossing. It is a really good movie in addition to having a great chase scene. McQueen is unparalleled.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Another “King Kong” movie from 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_(2005_film)

Enjoyed it.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Thanks to you guys I got onto Prime Video to watch “North By Northwest” which I had never seen. Of course I had heard of it but had not seen it -Also, in the beginning I was made aware (thanks to a note from Amazon Prime) it does indeed feature Alfred Hitchcock missing getting onto a bus in the start of the film. Cool.
Well, talk about suspense. Unbelievable.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Pale Blue Eye on Netflix. Interesting story with excellent acting. A touch too long but the ending was worth the wait.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I was held captive in the hospital waiting for my daughter's elective surgery to begin, it was delayed about 2hrs.

Watched No Escape, I enjoyed the movie and would recommend. I give it a solid 6.5. Definitely helped kill some time.

Kiddo’s surgery went better than expected and she is recovering comfortably at home.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

Muscle Shoals....2013 Documentary
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Glass Onion on Netflix, rated PG-13, Daniel Craig, 2022, comedy / crime /drama. I have no idea why this movie was rated so highly and turned it off after 20 minutes to watch -
stoptothink wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:14 pm Watched "The Gray Man" on Netflix last night. Absolutely zero surprise that it was hated by critics but has high audience scores - I almost never agree with "critics". It's pretty good for what it is: a simple Bourne-esque, noisy and explosive action flick. We were all entertained.
I would agree and can see the Bourne influence.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.