What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wilson08

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by wilson08 »

The Bishop's Wife

Great classic film which is perfect for the holiday
season. A Bishop (David Niven) becomes so obsessed
with building a new cathedral that he starts to neglect
his wife (Loretta Young). The Bishop prays for guidance
regarding the new cathedral and an angel named Dudley
(Cary Grant) appears, supposedly to help with the cathedral
but his real mission is to help heal the gap that is developing
between the Bishop and his wife.
Lovely story
Viewed on Amazon Prime
Recommended
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Ikiru (1956), directed by Akira Kurosawa.

On Kanopy: https://www.kanopy.com/en/product/113251

Also available here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... cf_strg_wb

I watched this on VHS many years ago when I was in my 20s and was incredibly moved by the simplicity of Kurosawa's story telling. Having read that it has been remade by the Brits and starring Bill Nighy (with an adaptation by novelist Kazuo Ishiguro), I wanted to revisit the source material, especially now that I'm decades older.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/grea ... ikiru-1952
Last edited by Matahari on Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shavenyak

Post by shavenyak »

Matahari wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:32 pm Ikiru (1956), directed by the Akira Kurosawa.

I watched this on VHS many years ago when I was in my 20s and was incredibly moved by the simplicity of Kurosawa's story telling. Having read that it has been remade by the Brits and starring Bill Nighy (with an adaptation by novelist Kazuo Ishiguro), I wanted to revisit the source material, especially now that I'm decades older.

The idea from the screenplay came from Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich. Always inspires self-reflection.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

shavenyak wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:54 pm
Matahari wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:32 pm Ikiru (1956), directed by the Akira Kurosawa.

The idea from the screenplay came from Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich. Always inspires self-reflection.
Thanks for the information. Come to think of it, I think I've read that somewhere. I'm going to look for the story.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

This time of the year and on Christmas Eve? Why of course only one movie “A Christmas Story”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Story

The 24 hour marathon on TBS!

Will be playing in my house until 8:00 tomorrow.

Merry Christmas all!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A Christmas Carol (1984) George C. Scott, Frank Finlay, Angela Pleasence

Our favorite, we bought the DVD. Geo. C. Scott is the definitive Scrooge. I think it’s the best film adaptation of Dickens’s novella. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087056/
startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:51 pm A Christmas Carol (1984) George C. Scott, Frank Finlay, Angela Pleasence

Our favorite, we bought the DVD. Geo. C. Scott is the definitive Scrooge. I think it’s the best film adaptation of Dickens’s novella. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087056/
I haven’t seen that version, but then at our house, “A Muppet Christmas Carol” is the definitive version :D
Circe

Post by Circe »

wilson08 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:39 pm The Bishop's Wife

Great classic film which is perfect for the holiday
season. A Bishop (David Niven) becomes so obsessed
with building a new cathedral that he starts to neglect
his wife (Loretta Young). The Bishop prays for guidance
regarding the new cathedral and an angel named Dudley
(Cary Grant) appears, supposedly to help with the cathedral
but his real mission is to help heal the gap that is developing
between the Bishop and his wife.
Lovely story
Viewed on Amazon Prime
Recommended
My favorite Christmas movie also. It was on TCM tonight; I always watch it if I can. The skating scene is fun. All 3 actors do such a good job. Niven is just seething and does it so well!
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

sid hartha wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:18 pm
bighatnohorse wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:49 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:01 am Don't Look Up, on Netflix.

This is a movie about how different people react to predictions that a large comet will soon crash into our planet, starring Jennifer Lawrence and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Recommended.

Trailer
I thought the movie was an analogy to the Covid / Vaccine denials in the real world. ??
I thought it was supposed to be a satire of people who think they can beat/time the market. Oh well I still enjoyed it. :D
The inbound asteroid or comet was an analogy of climate change.I particularly liked the ending.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Emily the Criminal on Netflix, rated R, Aubrey Plaza, 2022, crime / drama / thriller. A woman gets involved in a credit card scheme and gets further involved with criminal fraud. The story is told through the eyes of the main character and it kept my interest the entire time. The movie won several awards. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

startwithtruth wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:32 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:51 pm A Christmas Carol (1984) George C. Scott, Frank Finlay, Angela Pleasence

I haven’t seen that version, but then at our house, “A Muppet Christmas Carol” is the definitive version :D
Yes! Ours too.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

For our Christmas Eve 'family' movie - we watched Glass Onion starting Daniel Craig.

Successor to Knives Out, it differs that it's more of a comedy but still retains much of the mystery structure. In short, a billionaire invites a group of friends to his island for a murder mystery weekend - but it does not goes quite as envisioned. We enjoyed it, although the over-the-top ending strains credulity. I felt like there was some intended satire in there - poking fun at the narcissistic billionaires currently plaguing our country.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:49 am Emily the Criminal on Netflix, rated R, Aubrey Plaza, 2022, crime / drama / thriller. A woman gets involved in a credit card scheme and gets further involved with criminal fraud. The story is told through the eyes of the main character and it kept my interest the entire time. The movie won several awards. I liked it.
I also saw that recently and liked it.

Last night I watched the new Tom Cruise movie "Top Gun: Maverick" which I really enjoyed. Great shots of fighter jets which kept me on edge. On Amazon for a fee.

"Set 30 years after its predecessor, it follows Maverick's return to the United States Navy Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor program (also known as U.S. Navy-Fighter Weapons School - "TOPGUN"), where he must confront his past as he trains a group of younger pilots, among them the son of Maverick's deceased best friend Lieutenant Nick "Goose" Bradshaw, USN."
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

One of my two favorite versions, the other being Scrooge (1951) with
Alastair Sim in the title role.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Blade of the 47 Ronin (2022) is billed as a sequel to 47 Ronin, but this one is set about 300 years later and moves the location to Hungary and adds ninja and witches and a magic sword, because why not. I thoroughly enjoyed it, mainly due to the work of a talented cast of actors all unknown to me. Currently streaming on Netflix.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:38 am For our Christmas Eve 'family' movie - we watched Glass Onion starting Daniel Craig.

Successor to Knives Out, it differs that it's more of a comedy but still retains much of the mystery structure. In short, a billionaire invites a group of friends to his island for a murder mystery weekend - but it does not goes quite as envisioned. We enjoyed it, although the over-the-top ending strains credulity. I felt like there was some intended satire in there - poking fun at the narcissistic billionaires currently plaguing our country.

We just watched Glass Onion and it was ... stranger than we expected, not that we really knew what to expect.

"Over-the-top ending strains credulity" is among the understatements of the year.
The number of things that couldn't have worked... let me count the ways...
Without giving away a spoiler, someone has something like some charcoal on one side of their face!?

We weren't sorry we watched it, but we weren't particularly pleased, either.
It was just too strange, and in an unbelievable way.

We were expecting more of it.

OTOH, Janelle Monáe was terrific. (She was also in Hidden Figures.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:51 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:38 am For our Christmas Eve 'family' movie - we watched Glass Onion starting Daniel Craig.

We just watched Glass Onion and it was ... stranger than we expected, not that we really knew what to expect.

"Over-the-top ending strains credulity" is among the understatements of the year.
Without giving away a spoiler, someone has something like some charcoal on one side of their face!?

RM
We just finished this as well. I liked it more than the first but you're both right, the ending left something to be desired. Still entertaining. If you like Monae, you might want to check out Antebellum. I thought it was a really interesting idea for a movie and she was excellent in it.

Last night we also watched Polar with Mads Mikkelsen because I think he's great. He was good in this but it was a very weird movie. I didn't realize it was based on a graphic novel until we finished. The ending was a very nice twist but the movie is very violent and mostly silly. It was mindless entertainment but I don't think I'd recommend it unless you were a fan of the novel.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

jjunk wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:26 am

RM
We just finished this as well. I liked it more than the first but you're both right, the ending left something to be desired. Still entertaining. If you like Monae, you might want to check out Antebellum. I thought it was a really interesting idea for a movie and she was excellent in it.

Last night we also watched Polar with Mads Mikkelsen because I think he's great. He was good in this but it was a very weird movie. I didn't realize it was based on a graphic novel until we finished. The ending was a very nice twist but the movie is very violent and mostly silly. It was mindless entertainment but I don't think I'd recommend it unless you were a fan of the novel.
I watched "Glass Onion" last night. I really liked "Knives Out," so I was hoping for a great movie. Very disappointing. As noted above, unbelievable ending. Some good actors, but wasted in roles that were mostly caricatures (aside from Craig's and Monae's). I thought the eccentric billionaire was especially unconvincing, though in light of Sam Bankman-Fried perhaps I am too unkind. Of course, I did like the Beatles tunes: "Blackbird" and "Glass Onion."
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Kong: Skull Island” on Hulu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong:_Skull_Island

Enjoyed it.

Best.
Tony
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Another iconic holiday film. I have seen bits and
pieces of this movie over the years but never
watched it from beginning to end until Christmas
Eve night. Enjoyable story of a man who believes
he is Kris Kringle and his supporters and adversaries.
Real life backdrops of NYC parade, Macy's, Gimbels,
etc. made the story more relatable.
Viewed on Amazon Prime
Recommended
telemark

Post by telemark »

If you've always liked a good Godzilla movie but find the more recent remakes a bit disappointing, then Troll on Netflix just might be the movie for you. True, the big guy comes from the mountains instead of out of the sea, and it's Oslo he's stomping rather than Tokyo, but otherwise everything is exactly the same. Lots of gorgeous scenery; I regret not being able to see this in a theater.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Glass Onion. It's basically an Agatha Christie story at the end of the day.
barnaby444

Post by barnaby444 »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:06 am

RM

I watched "Glass Onion" last night. I really liked "Knives Out," so I was hoping for a great movie. Very disappointing. As noted above, unbelievable ending. Some good actors, but wasted in roles that were mostly caricatures (aside from Craig's and Monae's). I thought the eccentric billionaire was especially unconvincing, though in light of Sam Bankman-Fried perhaps I am too unkind. Of course, I did like the Beatles tunes: "Blackbird" and "Glass Onion."
Really baffled at the near universal critical (and audience) acclaim for this film (at least outside of this forum). And I enjoyed the original Knives Out.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

barnaby444 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:35 pm

RM

Really baffled at the near universal critical (and audience) acclaim for this film (at least outside of this forum). And I enjoyed the original Knives Out.
It was good, especially if you're a Agatha Christie fan. Watch any of the Poirot stories or better yet read them, and you'll find this falls nicely in that mix. The folks complaining haven't watched enough of that genre to appreciate it. And they even went so far as making fun of Clue, which is a big parody of the genre.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:01 pm I finally got around to watching Elvis (2022) tonight. I have never been a huge Elvis fan, but I thought the movie was well done.
Most Elvis fans preferred the young thin Elvis over the huge Elvis.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Our new favorite CHRISTMAS movie is "It happened on Fifth Avenue" which can be seen on Turner Classic Movies. It starts out about a guy that breaks in and occupies a mansion on 5th Avenue during the Christmas season.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

telemark wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:54 pm If you've always liked a good Godzilla movie but find the more recent remakes a bit disappointing, then Troll on Netflix just might be the movie for you. True, the big guy comes from the mountains instead of out of the sea, and it's Oslo he's stomping rather than Tokyo, but otherwise everything is exactly the same. Lots of gorgeous scenery; I regret not being able to see this in a theater.
Yeah! A neat take on an old theme, very well done and visually striking.

Enjoyed Emily the Criminal and Glass Onion too. Not as much as the first but my moderate expectations were exceeded.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Damien Chazelle's Babylon. A three hour and nine minute epic about the movie business in the 1920s. It stars Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie and Diego Calva. It doesn't all work but there are some stunning sequences. Some viewers will be turned off by all the depravity on display. For the most part, I enjoyed the film.

In theaters now.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Quentin Tarantino’s Grindhouse Deathproof. First I’d ever heard of Zoe Belle.
brcarls

Post by brcarls »

rockstar wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:13 pm Glass Onion. It's basically an Agatha Christie story at the end of the day.
Can you suggest other any recent-ish movies that will appeal to Agatha Christie fans? My mother really enjoyed both Knives Out movies and asked for more... But I have no idea, I don't watch those type of movies.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

brcarls wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:51 pm
rockstar wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:13 pm Glass Onion. It's basically an Agatha Christie story at the end of the day.
Can you suggest other any recent-ish movies that will appeal to Agatha Christie fans? My mother really enjoyed both Knives Out movies and asked for more... But I have no idea, I don't watch those type of movies.
There are Kenneth Branagh's "Murder on the Orient Express" (2017) and "Death on the Nile" (2022).

If she is interested in a longer format, there was a 3-episode adaptation of "And Then There Were None" (2015) that is quite good: https://www.amazon.com/And-Then-There-W ... B01CRGR232

If she likes that one, Sarah Phelps also adapted "Order by Innocence" (2018), "The ABC Murders" (2018) and "The Pale Horse" (2021), all of which are based on Agatha Christie's novels.

https://www.amazon.com/Ordeal-By-Innoce ... B086R5QJY9

https://www.amazon.com/Agatha-Christies ... B086HWSV8P

https://www.amazon.com/Agatha-Christies ... B08BYZ1RJ8

Further back, there was a series of Miss Marple TV adaptations, starring first Geraldine McEwan and later Julia McKenzie as the eponymous sleuth:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1734537/

Stream here: https://www.britbox.com/us/show/p04mbtzt?autoplay=true
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Fabelmans, in the theater. Some of the best acting I have ever seen.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

bengal22 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:58 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:01 pm I finally got around to watching Elvis (2022) tonight. I have never been a huge Elvis fan, but I thought the movie was well done.
Most Elvis fans preferred the young thin Elvis over the huge Elvis.
:D
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Circe

Post by Circe »

bengal22 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:04 pm Our new favorite CHRISTMAS movie is "It happened on Fifth Avenue" which can be seen on Turner Classic Movies. It starts out about a guy that breaks in and occupies a mansion on 5th Avenue during the Christmas season.
I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. It's a fun movie.

For those who like Agatha Christie or Glass Onion, I recently watched a 1973 movie on TCM that I'd never heard of, The Last of Sheila. Good cast, good ratings. I liked it. It stars James Coburn, James Mason, Richard Benjamin, Raquel Welsh, Dyan Cannon and Joan Hackett.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Just finished with Troll on Netflix after reading the praise for it here. It was a fun movie. The comparisons earlier to Godzilla were dead on.

Also rented Bones and All. I didn't know anything about the movie going into it but to say it was disturbing would be putting it mildly. Really glad my wife was already asleep. It was very well acted with Mark Rylance being particularly good/creepy. I guess you'd call it a horror love story but its not for the feint of heart. Worth watching if you like disturbing movies though as it was pretty original (even though its based on a book).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched "Enola Holmes" with the kids last night on Netflix. It was good for what it is; kids definitely enjoyed it.
You Know What I Mean

rockstar wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:46 pm

RM

It was good, especially if you're a Agatha Christie fan. Watch any of the Poirot stories or better yet read them, and you'll find this falls nicely in that mix. The folks complaining haven't watched enough of that genre to appreciate it. And they even went so far as making fun of Clue, which is a big parody of the genre.
Well, I think tastes differ, a lot in this case. Although I really liked "Knives Out," I thought "Glass Onion" was way over the top. I don't mind being in the minority on that view. Perhaps a part of my problem is that I never felt the eccentric-billionaire character was a genius or was charismatic (even though he was playing "Blackbird" near the beginning!). But then again, I don't see how so many supposedly smart people gushed over Sam Bankman-Fried in real life, either.

I have seen a few movies based on Christie''s books and enjoyed most of them a lot, including the recent remake of "Murder on the Orient Express," for example. Improbable as that plot was, it was at least possible. And I thought the large cast of characters was well done in that movie.

A long time ago I read all her books, as well as all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and all of Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason and Donald Lam/Bertha Cool mysteries, etc. I'm a fan of the genre. And I admit to playing a lot of "Clue" when I was a kid. I did like the "Clue" references.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
ProsperGoalzz

Post by ProsperGoalzz »

wilson08 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:54 pm
One of my two favorite versions, the other being Scrooge (1951) with
Alastair Sim in the title role.
Scrooge with Alastair Sim is the one we watch, too! I'm a bit sad though, my family wasn't into the old movies this year and I couldn't bring myself to watch them alone. I might try it next year though.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Troll

We thought the film was entertaining. There were certain parts of the film that reminded us of scenes from King Kong, Jurassic Park and Godzilla.

Helicopters and hanging bells.....what could possibly go wrong. :)
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:17 am

Well, I think tastes differ, a lot in this case. Although I really liked "Knives Out," I thought "Glass Onion" was way over the top. I don't mind being in the minority on that view. Perhaps a part of my problem is that I never felt the eccentric-billionaire character was a genius or was charismatic (even though he was playing "Blackbird" near the beginning!). But then again, I don't see how so many supposedly smart people gushed over Sam Bankman-Fried in real life, either.

I have seen a few movies based on Christie''s books and enjoyed most of them a lot, including the recent remake of "Murder on the Orient Express," for example. Improbable as that plot was, it was at least possible. And I thought the large cast of characters was well done in that movie.

A long time ago I read all her books, as well as all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and all of Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason and Donald Lam/Bertha Cool mysteries, etc. I'm a fan of the genre. And I admit to playing a lot of "Clue" when I was a kid. I did like the "Clue" references.
Tried to watch Glass Onion twice and fell asleep half-way through twice. Husband finally explained critical middle scene that I missed both times. We rewatched Knives Out earlier this week and it was better in my opinion.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Father Brown is a good one.

I recommend Britbox. The British like their mysteries and the service has a lot to choose from.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:17 am

Check out the TV series Harper Island. It's basically And Then There Were None. There's also a recent version of it with the guy from Jurassic Park that's good.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:24 pm

I recommend Britbox. The British like their mysteries and the service has a lot to choose from.
I'm not that big a fan of Agatha Christie (or any plot that hinges on remembering that the murderer took the 1:12 train), but a big +1 on Britbox. There are many mysteries, police procedural, and also fascinating shows like QI and Would I Lie To You.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I tend to enjoy fairly funny B-movie horror type shows sometimes, and watching Troll (the new Norwegian one) on Netflix was pretty fun :)
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
olefoodie

Post by olefoodie »

Finished Glass Onion and agree that the first Knives Out was better. However, I still enjoyed the silliness of the second movie. I found it hilarious there was a visual reference to Edward Norton's character in one of his other movies - Fight Club. Not sure if that was intentional but still hilarious.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I agree. Before we watched, my daughter said she hadn't seen the first. I said not to worry. It's like one of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple stories.

Come to think of it, compared to some of her stories, the ending isn't really that over the top.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

rockstar wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:24 pm I recommend Britbox. The British like their mysteries and the service has a lot to choose from.
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

BritBox and Acorn are my two favorites.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
You Know What I Mean

Thanks. I love British mysteries. There have been so many great ones: Foyle's War, Midsomer Murders, Prime Suspect (and I liked Tennison, too), Inspector Morse, Lewis, Endeavor, Grantchester, etc.
You Know What I Mean

You Know What I Mean wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:27 pm

Thanks. I love British mysteries. There have been so many great ones: Foyle's War, Midsomer Murders, Prime Suspect (and I liked Tennison, too), Inspector Morse, Lewis, Endeavor, Grantchester, etc. I even grew to love Silent Witness.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Bait” on Tubi.

Really enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait_(2000_film)

Best.
Tony