What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
slicendice

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by slicendice »

-4.8% YTD

20% VTI, 20% AVUV, 15% VXUS, 10% AVDV, 5% AVES, 10% TIPS, 20% LTT

DCAing gold with new contributions (~+1-2% per year).
SGM

Post by SGM »

Roth IRAs are down 4%. The Santa Claus rally greatly increased the value of the Roth accounts in late December and early January.

Our total portfolio decreased 2.5%, but there are additions to the taxable portfolio monthly.

All these accounts are about the same as they were before the rally.
vp89

Post by vp89 »

-3.9% YTD

90/10 3-fund 60% US
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I ran the numbers on 4/3 and ytd = -1.55% one year = 4.54% for a nominally 60/40 portfolio.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

As of 12-Apr-22, our Portfolio is down <-5.88%> from 1-Jan-22

Our AA is 51% Equities, 40% Bonds and 9% Cash which is just about on target for us

We like keep 2 to 3 years Cash on hand for the normal Peaks and Valleys of the Market.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

As I approach retirement, I choose not to rely on speculation (i.e., having to sell an asset at a higher price in order to make money). As such, I don't focus on how much I'm "up or down." I focus on buying strong companies that share profits with owners, combined with investment grade bonds. My guideline is a weighted average SEC yield of all my funds, which is currently 2.81%. That's what I use for planning purposes. It's conservative, like me.

Not looking for a debate on dividends, etc. Just sharing my approach. Have done very well so far. Capital growth has been a nice bonus. And my comfort level has helped me stay the course.

I'm basically sitting around waiting for social security eligibility, as I already have enough to close the gap between SS and expenses, including a generous 50% add-on for play money.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Samuel Glover wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:04 am As I approach retirement, I choose not to rely on speculation (i.e., having to sell an asset at a higher price in order to make money). As such, I don't focus on how much I'm "up or down." I focus on buying strong companies that share profits with owners, combined with investment grade bonds. My guideline is a weighted average SEC yield of all my funds, which is currently 2.81%. That's what I use for planning purposes. It's conservative, like me.

Not looking for a debate on dividends, etc. Just sharing my approach. Have done very well so far. Capital growth has been a nice bonus. And my comfort level has helped me stay the course.

I'm basically sitting around waiting for social security eligibility, as I already have enough to close the gap between SS and expenses, including a generous 50% add-on for play money.
Nothing wrong with being conservative. I do wonder if your SEC yield target moves with inflation. E.G. not long ago 2.8% meant 2.8% real, now it means -3% or worse real.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

z3r0c00l wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:09 am
Samuel Glover wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:04 am As I approach retirement, I choose not to rely on speculation (i.e., having to sell an asset at a higher price in order to make money). As such, I don't focus on how much I'm "up or down." I focus on buying strong companies that share profits with owners, combined with investment grade bonds. My guideline is a weighted average SEC yield of all my funds, which is currently 2.81%. That's what I use for planning purposes. It's conservative, like me.

Nothing wrong with being conservative. I do wonder if your SEC yield target moves with inflation. E.G. not long ago 2.8% meant 2.8% real, now it means -3% or worse real.
I hear you. But inflation is a funny thing. My wife works from home. I commute ten miles to work. The cars we own now we expect to own for the next ten years at a minimum. They're paid for. Groceries are tad higher, but it's just the two of us. Meat prices are way up but we eat largely a plant-based diet (not vegetarians).

We travel but not enough for it to really jar our budget. We go out to eat occasionally but again a little more for that or a movie isn't going to kill us.

We're lenders, not borrowers. So interest rates have no impact on us in terms of borrowing (okay we have a few grand on an adjustable rate HELOC which I can pay with a check tomorrow if things get out of hand; the current rate is 3.00%...up from 2.47%).

In short, we haven't had to adjust our budget for inflation one bit...so far.

I feel terrible for a lower-wage earning family of four who need to buy a car right now and have to fill the grocery basket up and have credit card debt because they needed to put medical bills on it, etc, etc. This is not a good time for a lot of Americans. Oy.
"The big money is not in the buying and selling, but in the waiting." - Charles Munger
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Interesting idea about tracking portfolio return, the current SEC Yield on our portfolio is 2.98%, but I don't see how this is useful information
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
cvn74n2

Post by cvn74n2 »

Just ran the numbers through 04/14: -7.00% at 60/40 all US / Treasuries (duration ~11 years with a mix of nominal and TIPs funds). I am tinkering with my portfolio as I adjust to retirement (moving towards simplicity - VTI and individual TIPs/I Bonds). My bogey is VBIAX which is at -8.41% so I guess I am losing less (still not fun). :annoyed
bigoilboomer

Post by bigoilboomer »

Down 14.6% YTD.

70/50 VT/TLT, plus some currencies
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

cvn74n2 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:18 pm... My bogey is VBIAX which is at -8.41% so I guess I am losing less (still not fun). :annoyed
VBIAX YTD is now -10.37% https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... ance/vbiax
so you did something with your VBIAX to improve your performance with it. (Oh, sorry that was last week when you reported Y-to-04/14 when VBIAX had -8.41%.)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

This thread phrasing is a bit ironic now. 'up YTD?' Shouldn't it be something like 'return YTD'?

Anyway... Mine is -4.66%. That's not all that bad considering the economic and political turmoil this year?
https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... tion4_1=25
ROTH: 50% AVGE, 10% DFAX, 40% BNDW. Taxable: 50% BNDW, 40% AVGE, 10% DFAX.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

The dividend return of your portfolio may or may not keep up with inflation. That said, if your expenses after SS, etc can be met by pulling 2.8% or so of your portfolio (a nice low withdrawal rate) you might be fine.

Of course, 2.8% of 1M is a lot more than 2.8% of say 750k, so by thinking in terms of yield only, you are not thinking in terms of dollars; yield only is an incomplete measure of the cash coming out as it doesn't account for the underlying size of the asset base.

In the last 12+ years, about any investing strategy with a healthy dose of stocks worked well. It's possible we are entering an era where the successes are not so easy. (I hope not, I've enjoyed the splendid market returns we've had!)
ge1

Post by ge1 »

Up 1.5%.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ge1 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:33 pmUp 1.5%.
What are you investing in???
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

I'm 100% VTI. So I'm down 14.85%. But it's OK. Staying the course as usual, and whenever I have some spare cash, I throw it in anyway.
ge1

Post by ge1 »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:32 pm
We have a very unconventional portfolio, fully aware this is not for everyone. Low need to take risk plus I viewed stocks as highly overvalued.

- 40% cash
- 20% alternative investments (mix across Fundrise real estate investments, private loans, private equity)
- 20% US Treasuries, ibonds and a few select corporate bonds which I hold until maturity (no bond funds). Have only started building this over the last 2 months (with the exception of ibonds which I started last year)
- Up to 20% in stocks, which I trade frequently in our IRAs. I know day trading sounds horrible, but for the last 2 years the volatility has been so crazy it seemed stupid not to take advantage of it.

Will deploy more cash should rates keep going up / equity market correction continue.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ge1 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:54 pm
anon_investor wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:32 pm
We have a very unconventional portfolio, fully aware this is not for everyone. Low need to take risk plus I viewed stocks as highly overvalued.

- 40% cash
- 20% alternative investments (mix across Fundrise real estate investments, private loans, private equity)
- 20% US Treasuries, ibonds and a few select corporate bonds which I hold until maturity (no bond funds). Have only started building this over the last 2 months (with the exception of ibonds which I started last year)
- Up to 20% in stocks, which I trade frequently in our IRAs. I know day trading sounds horrible, but for the last 2 years the volatility has been so crazy it seemed stupid not to take advantage of it.

Will deploy more cash should rates keep going up / equity market correction continue.
Cash has certainly been king lately.
peskypesky

Post by peskypesky »

I'm not going to look.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Speaking of cash being king...

Late last year I posted:

"Cash Is a Better Hedge Than Bonds, Goldman's Oppenheimer Says". From the article:
“I think as we move forward, given we are at record low bond yields, it is difficult to see the same kind of return,” he said in reference to historical bond performance. “Cash probably represents a much better way of hedging against an increased exposure to risk assets like equities.” Bloomberg link

"‘Black Swan’ author Nassim Taleb says cash is the right hedge against rising market risk for regular investors" CNBC link

(Of course, I probably also posted a whole load of horsestuff so please don't go searching.)
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Bury your head in the sand. Plus the 8.9% inflation rate. The purchasing power situation is even worse.
benway

Post by benway »

Last edited by benway on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

-12.3% YTD
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I'm down $30k this month for 2.5 PVC decks and twice that much for the two upcoming bathroom tear outs (including the subflooring, everything goes.)

Oh, you mean our portfolio. Idk, like everyone else, down a lot. The taxable account alone is down about $400k from the peak.

Do we count the $100k my wife gave her son for their down payment on a larger house? They both have good jobs and have a 3-year-old and a 6-year-old and the post-WWII starter bungalow they've been in for 10 years is too crowded with a tiny yard. Considering it's a private sale on a one-owner nicely kept home on 5.5 acres in a great school district, it's a steal and should be $100k or $150k more even though it was built in 1990. The owners are building in a 55 and over community and want a seamless transition. Then her son/d-in-law can take their time selling their current house.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

-10% YTD. But my Int Corporate fund is yielding 4% and Short Corporate fund is yielding 3.3%, so some hope for the future.
catlady

Post by catlady »

-8.66% Beardstown, -11.99% with contributions removed. Did some nice TLH this week as a result.
BillyK

Post by BillyK »

-11.33% YTD
RayKeynes

Post by RayKeynes »

I think in real terms we are closer to -20 / -22 % YTD than just -10% - my opinion.
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

rkhusky wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:29 am -10% YTD. But my Int Corporate fund is yielding 4% and Short Corporate fund is yielding 3.3%, so some hope for the future.
I’m in the same boat with portfolio performance and holding the same bond funds that you mentioned.

However, keep in mind that the yields that you referenced on the bond funds, which appear to be SEC yields, are the yields on new shares that are added to the portfolio today. The SEC yield on these funds have increased primarily due to the effect of bond price declines and partially influenced by interest rate increases.

Depending on how long ago you bought/held existing shares, assuming you have existing positions in these funds, the actual yield on these overall bond positions are lower (most likely significantly lower) and won’t begin to increase until the fund’s existing underlying bonds are either sold or mature and are replaced with newer bonds reflective of current interest rates. Of course, significantly adding new shares at today’s prices/yield will begin to increase the positions’ yields as well.
Last edited by Fortitude on Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

peskypesky wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:24 pm I'm not going to look.
I'll look when I hear the market is up for the year.......... Might take a while.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

dwickenh wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:19 am
I'll look when I hear the market is up for the year.......... Might take a while.

Dan
Same. There's no point in looking now. I know roughly how much I'm down anyway though. It's all good.
The Sensible Steward
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

I’m down BIG, but whatever. On January 1 my employee stock options were worth > 20% of my net worth and stock price was near ATH. Being highly levered the value of those options has been HAMMERED. And they are mostly vested.
revhappy

Post by revhappy »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:43 am
dwickenh wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:19 am

Dan
Same. There's no point in looking now. I know roughly how much I'm down anyway though. It's all good.
I keep a monthly snapshot of my networth balance in my googlesheets tracker as I have multiple accounts and the only way to know the history is for me to maintain it manually. But even otherwise I check my networth values on a daily basis, it is just a habit.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

How exactly do we calculate this figure? Is it inclusive or exclusive of contributions made since January 1, 2022?
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Down "Ouchie"
Hoping things change before hitting OMG. :D
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
SGM

Post by SGM »

We are down big, but I don't look. Our cash balance has gone up as we have multiple income streams in retirement. I may miss an upswing, but I have invested only a little of our cash in index funds and bond funds. At some point I will invest more of the cash. It keeps piling up as we don't have many expenses other than income and real estate taxes.

We are discussing selling one of our vacation homes.

We also condemned an apartment building as we could not evict a very bad tenant. The tenant was a thief, dangerous, a pimp and a dope dealer and user. He used an alias so we could not find out that he was on parole. The local police advised condemning the building. The building will be used to store farm machinery. The rules for farm buildings are laxer than those for apartment buildings. We also had a charity case in the building, but the father had a stroke and is in a nursing home and the retarded son had a stroke and died. We no longer have any employees for the rentals. This will be our first year when we don't have to pay direct employees.

We no longer have to worry about the terrible tenant and his customers. No one has shown up since condemnation of the building months ago. We have cameras up in the trees and good, well-armed farm neighbors who are looking out for trespassers. Life has gotten good for us, after we worked so hard. A downturn and even a recession we can handle.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

SGM wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:51 am We are down big, but I don't look. Our cash balance has gone up as we have multiple income streams in retirement. I may miss an upswing, but I have invested only a little of our cash in index funds and bond funds. At some point I will invest more of the cash. It keeps piling up as we don't have many expenses other than income and real estate taxes.
How are you both down big and not investing your cash?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Age 76, retired, no pension or annuity, our asset allocation is 60/40.

Our total return is down 12.20% year to date.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Expro

Post by Expro »

According to The "Return Spreadsheet for Bogleheads" I am down 10.6% YTD 60/40 - now circa 58/32/10
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

When the stock market crashed in 2008-09 I decided because it was out of my control I would focus on what I could control. I can control what we save and plow into index funds. I don’t look at balances too much when the market keeps going down. But I do look when it goes up! This selective attention works well for me. I’m guessing we are down more than 12%. We did get a very big check a few days ago and I put it all into total market index yesterday. I look at investing now as getting to go back in time and buy (minus the last 15 months of dividends, of course).
abc132

Post by abc132 »

mikejuss wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:20 am How exactly do we calculate this figure? Is it inclusive or exclusive of contributions made since January 1, 2022?
Internet Search
"Return Spreadsheet for Bogleheads"

Each account will be on a different tab.
For each account/tab, you enter the total additions and total balance at the end of each month.

The spreadsheet will give you YTD, 1 year, 5 year, etc if you enter your prior historical values.
Last edited by abc132 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

GoldenFinch wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:05 am When the stock market crashed in 2008-09 I decided because it was out of my control I would focus on what I could control. I can control what we save and plow into index funds. I don’t look at balances too much when the market keeps going down. But I do look when it goes up! This selective attention works well for me. I’m guessing we are down more than 12%. We did get a very big check a few days ago and I put it all into total market index yesterday. I look at investing now as getting to go back in time and buy (minus the last 15 months of dividends, of course).
+1.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Down 11.8% YTD
51US/8INT/41BND
The Casualty

Post by The Casualty »

Down 11.33 % with a 50/50 portfolio.

Bond Funds > Fidelity Total Bond (FTBFX) -9.16 %

> Pimco Income Fund (PIMIX) - 6.77 %
lostcoast

Post by lostcoast »

Down 7.11% with 55/45 at start of year and now 52/48.
I was totally out of bonds at the start of year and I went back in 4/26.
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

-10.03% YTD with a 58%/38%/4% AA (stocks, bonds, cash)
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

lostcoast wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:32 am Down 7.11% with 55/45 at start of year and now 52/48.
I’m curious. With both asset classes moving aggressively downward since the beginning of the year, what was your logic in not pulling out of stocks as well and then determining when to get back in?
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

WhyNotUs wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:29 am Down "Ouchie"
Hoping things change before hitting OMG. :D
:sharebeer
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
lostcoast

Post by lostcoast »

Fortitude wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:04 pm
lostcoast wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:32 am Down 7.11% with 55/45 at start of year and now 52/48.
I’m curious. With both asset classes moving aggressively downward since the beginning of the year, what was your logic in not pulling out of stocks as well and then determining when to get back in?
Stocks are in taxable with 2+mil in cap gains. I okay with the volatility however with bonds in my IRA I did some thinking and made the decision last summer to go into cash with the position. No tax consequence. I saw no way were bonds NAV's going to climb up anything like they fell. I was only risking a 1.5%/yr. 'or so at the time' dividend for what looked like a possible end to cheap money with inflation in the headlines.