What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
SimplicityNow

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by SimplicityNow »

- 8.9% YTD

Roughly 60/40 Stock to Fixed Income. Total bond represents a small percentage of our FI.

Contemplated moving it to a Stable Value fund but decided to stay the course.
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

goingup wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:21 am
czeckers wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:50 am-4.09%
I have to say I ran your portfolio through Portfolio Visualizer because I was a bit skeptical that your losses could be sub-5% for an 80/20 portfolio. Wow, it's amazing how much a 10% slice of Commodities helped. Also, SCV to a lesser degree.

Our 60/40 (ish) portfolio is down 10-11%, with an assortment of ST and IT bond funds.
The commodities were a fortuitous addition 2yrs ago when I saw Vanguard opened VCMDX. There was a lot of excitement about them around 2007/8 when they were in a bubble. Dropped 90%!! between then and May 2019. I figured it was a good bet. In retrospect, 20% would have been better :twisted:

Diversification works both ways. It's been rough watching my portfolio lag the S&P 500 for the last 13 years due to the Small/Value tilt.

I choose to not look too often.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

so far this year: -7.98%

65% equities, 28% bonds, 7% gold broken down as follows:

19% Domestic Large Blend
13% Domestic Extended Mkt
7% Domestic Real Estate Fund
12% Large International
7% Small International
7% Emerging Markets
14% Inflation-Protected Bonds (much of which are older I-Bonds)
14% Nominal Bonds
7% Gold
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Just completed my weekly update: -16.50% on a 60/40 portfolio. New low for the year. :annoyed
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

Update as of 6/10/22 market close:

Asset allocation: 58% stocks/38% bonds/4% cash

-12.4%
Last edited by Fortitude on Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

YTD -17.97%
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Abalyon

Post by Abalyon »

According to Fidelity, about 9% but I hadn’t established a permanent portfolio until early February. Before 2022, I was heavy into tech and garbage sector funds. The last week of 2021 I went in to something like 50% VOO and 50% AVUV. Then I was finally convinced about the benefits of international diversification and added that in mid-January. Finally, I added some large value tilt as well. According to ETF breakdown, that portfolio should be down 9.67%. Worst performing is VTI, which is a good thing I implemented international diversification when I did. Best is RPV, my favorite dumb-beta ETF which is down a hilarious 1.22% and was positive before Friday. Yeah it’s flawed, but it destroys whenever value is in favor. Additionally, it does have quite a long history for a factor ETF and has outperformed in the long-term if you weather through the ARKK-levels volatility. YOLO on Berkshire Hathaway, Archer-Daniels, and MetLife.
bikeeagle1

Post by bikeeagle1 »

YTD -1.6%
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bikeeagle1 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:00 pm YTD -1.6%
What is your asset allocation?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

As I posted on another thread, we are up 18% or so since retiring in 2017.
bikeeagle1

Post by bikeeagle1 »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:40 pm
Variable. Since late February, 90% cash and 10% in the golden butterfly.
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

bikeeagle1 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:05 pm
Variable?

Seems equivalent to market timing. Not that I’m bashing it as many in this forum might be quick to do, but it makes me wonder. Is your variable asset allocation approach one that you consistently employ? If so, I’m curious what your longer term rate of return is over the previous five years or ten years by managing your portfolio this way as opposed to looking at just the last 5 1/2 months.
bikeeagle1

Post by bikeeagle1 »

Fortitude wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:27 pm
Variable?

Seems equivalent to market timing. Not that I’m bashing it as many in this forum might be quick to do, but it makes me wonder. Is your variable asset allocation approach one that you consistently employ? If so, I’m curious what your longer term rate of return is over the previous five years or ten years by managing your portfolio this way as opposed to looking at just the last 5 1/2 months.
Yes, it is market timing. It's something I've been developing since before covid, so I've been mostly in cash and only live testing it in a small allocation. That particular allocation is up 41.9% since re-entering the market in June of 2020 and exiting in February of this year. Prior to that, the system had exited the market in early March of 2020 and re-entered in June.

The -1.6% return YTD is all portfolios combined. After some further verification of live performance during this current market drawdown, I plan to evaluate how the system did, and also how I responded to it emotionally (equally as important as performance). If both the system and my tolerance of it are a good fit, I will roll it out more fully as the current market cycle resolves itself. So far, I'm loving it. The covid crash was a real snoozer thanks to the system, and so is this current one. I'm a firm believer that investing should be about as exciting as watching grass grow.
ge1

Post by ge1 »

Up 1.5% YTD after today’s sell-off. I have been significantly underweight equity and bonds coming into this year due to valuation concerns and I traded the various rallies this year aggressively in my non-taxable accounts. Have now deployed most of the cash, maybe 12% or so left.

My stock / bond portion is flat now YTD, gains are mainly from real estate investments (Fundrise), private equity and private lending.

I realized in the early 2010s that the static “buy and forget” approach is not for me. At the beginning of this year my CAGR since 2013 (when I started tracking) was essentially equal to my benchmark portfolio, I’m now significantly ahead.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

-21.29 YTD so far.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
The Casualty

Post by The Casualty »

- 12.97 % YTD
bagastuff

Post by bagastuff »

bikeeagle1 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:10 pm
Variable?

Yes, it is market timing. It's something I've been developing since before covid, so I've been mostly in cash and only live testing it in a small allocation. That particular allocation is up 41.9% since re-entering the market in June of 2020 and exiting in February of this year. Prior to that, the system had exited the market in early March of 2020 and re-entered in June.

The -1.6% return YTD is all portfolios combined. After some further verification of live performance during this current market drawdown, I plan to evaluate how the system did, and also how I responded to it emotionally (equally as important as performance). If both the system and my tolerance of it are a good fit, I will roll it out more fully as the current market cycle resolves itself. So far, I'm loving it. The covid crash was a real snoozer thanks to the system, and so is this current one. I'm a firm believer that investing should be about as exciting as watching grass grow.
Weren't early March and June of 2020 roughly equivalent? How much did the system save you then? Even if you didn't come out ahead of a buy and hold strategy it probably feels nicer when you don't have to see as big a drawdown. Plus if ish really hits the fan (which didn't happen for COVID crash 1 but could happen in the next year, who knows) you have plenty of cash to keep you safe.

I think I'm going to implement a system where I take out a second mortgage and dump in TQQQ next time the Fed announces QE.
AussieDad

Post by AussieDad »

-19.55 ytd
anoop

Post by anoop »

bagastuff wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:32 pm

Variable?

Weren't early March and June of 2020 roughly equivalent? How much did the system save you then? Even if you didn't come out ahead of a buy and hold strategy it probably feels nicer when you don't have to see as big a drawdown. Plus if ish really hits the fan (which didn't happen for COVID crash 1 but could happen in the next year, who knows) you have plenty of cash to keep you safe.

I think I'm going to implement a system where I take out a second mortgage and dump in TQQQ next time the Fed announces QE.
Everyone is getting ready to do that!
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

-8.50% YTD which includes my SCV tilt and dividend port.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
bdr1000

Post by bdr1000 »

-12.7% since ATH in dec'21

AA 70/30

Live in UK buy and hold, predominantly global index stock and bond with one outsized holding in MSFT from RSUs
AA: 75/22/3: 50% VWRL | 25% MSFT | 22% VAGP | 3% Cash. | Age 50. Early retiree 7 years now, renting my property whilst fulltime travelling, focused on health & happiness
bikeeagle1

Post by bikeeagle1 »

Variable?

Yes, March and June turned out to be the same in hindsight, but things could very easily have been very different. At the time, March through June looked much scarier than they do today. I am 100% happy to have been out during that period, even though it turned out not to have made much difference.

I think the thing that is often overlooked when comparing timing to buy-and-hold is the value of timing in reducing sequence of returns risk. If you're a long way from retirement, SORR doesn't matter. Just continuing to buy all the way down and all the way up is much easier to live with. When you're retired, that is much harder, and you are happy to avoid those big drawdowns whenever you can.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

bikeeagle1 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:00 am

Variable?

Yes, March and June turned out to be the same in hindsight, but things could very easily have been very different. At the time, March through June looked much scarier than they do today. I am 100% happy to have been out during that period, even though it turned out not to have made much difference.

I think the thing that is often overlooked when comparing timing to buy-and-hold is the value of timing in reducing sequence of returns risk. If you're a long way from retirement, SORR doesn't matter. Just continuing to buy all the way down and all the way up is much easier to live with. When you're retired, that is much harder, and you are happy to avoid those big drawdowns whenever you can.
When are you getting back in?

I accidentally market time my fixed income. I sold all my total bond in Apr 2020. Switched to my 401k stable value @ 1.8%. I did this because I felt 1.8% was good enough to cover my 2.25% fixed rate mortgage. Turns out I was brilliant. I avoided $121k of NAV drop and now all that money is in CD and treasuries earning 3%. But when do I get back into total bond? No idea, but 3% is good enough for now.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

corn18 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:42 am
bikeeagle1 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:00 am

Variable?

When are you getting back in?

I accidentally market time my fixed income. I sold all my total bond in Apr 2020. Switched to my 401k stable value @ 1.8%. I did this because I felt 1.8% was good enough to cover my 2.25% fixed rate mortgage. Turns out I was brilliant. I avoided $121k of NAV drop and now all that money is in CD and treasuries earning 3%. But when do I get back into total bond? No idea, but 3% is good enough for now.
That's a happy accident :), that is different than market timing which is making decisions to buy or sell investments based on economic factors that might affect the direction of the market.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bikeeagle1

Post by bikeeagle1 »

corn18 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:42 am When are you getting back in?
I don't want to give away all of my indicators, but a close enough answer would be when SPY closes a month above its 200-Day MA.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

bikeeagle1 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:26 pm
corn18 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:42 am When are you getting back in?
I don't want to give away all of my indicators, but a close enough answer would be when SPY closes a month above its 200-Day MA.
Well, that's a heckofa lot better than my plan on when to get back into total bond.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
bikeeagle1

Post by bikeeagle1 »

corn18 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:33 pm Well, that's a heckofa lot better than my plan on when to get back into total bond.
What is your plan? Come to think of it, since the Fed is driving rates higher (and markets lower), and since bonds and stocks have become more correlated as a result, my indicator might work for bonds too. Just a thought.
TopherM1

Post by TopherM1 »

+7.65% YTD

I deviated a bit from a pretty vanilla 5 fund portfolio. Once it was painfully obviously the Fed interest rate hikes were going to slow the economy, I started dabbling in some inverse/short index funds, i.e., funds designed to inversely follow the major indexes. I'm not trying to "time the market" by any means, and I held onto about 35% of my index funds as a hedge, but the plan is to ride these inverse funds until inflation has a clear trend of downward pressure, then I'll switch back exclusively to my 5 fund portfolio.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

TopherM1 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:43 pm +7.65% YTD

I deviated a bit from a pretty vanilla 5 fund portfolio. Once it was painfully obviously the Fed interest rate hikes were going to slow the economy, I started dabbling in some inverse/short index funds, i.e., funds designed to inversely follow the major indexes. I'm not trying to "time the market" by any means, and I held onto about 35% of my index funds as a hedge, but the plan is to ride these inverse funds until inflation has a clear trend of downward pressure, then I'll switch back exclusively to my 5 fund portfolio.
This is market timing, that is making decisions to buy or sell investments based on economic factors that might affect the direction of the market.
tobyy

Post by tobyy »

-13% YTD

AA: 90% equities / 10% bonds
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

tobyy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:41 pm -13% YTD

Are your equities all in value? How did you get -13% YTD with 90% equities?
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

I'm getting -0.3%. Portfolio, which hasn't changed significantly in composition for years: 70% gold, 20% CHF, 10% cash. (Not counting my paid-off house or my car loan, which is my only debt.)
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
incognito_man

Post by incognito_man »

-4.92% YTD

I had moved most of my FXAIX into a SVF earlier this year, but went back into 100% FXAIX today.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

-6.6% YTD
AA 33/67
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

-26% now. 100% stock, still holding Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and Meta from 2013 and 100 shares of ARKK. It has been a rough year. Last year was ok but still underperformed. I know I should sell or pair back some of those tech names, but I feel foolish doing it after they've all seen a 30-40% drop. I also think they are all still great companies.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

atdharris wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:01 am -26% now. 100% stock, still holding Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and Meta from 2013 and 100 shares of ARKK. It has been a rough year. Last year was ok but still underperformed. I know I should sell or pair back some of those tech names, but I feel foolish doing it after they've all seen a 30-40% drop. I also think they are all still great companies.
Still with ARKK? Just for fond memories? :beer
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:54 am -6.6% YTD
AA 33/67
How much of that 67% is in cash/CDs? BND's NAV is down 11.5% YTD not to mention the 33% stock component, so guessing it's quite a bit?
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

jarjarM wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:07 am
atdharris wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:01 am -26% now. 100% stock, still holding Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and Meta from 2013 and 100 shares of ARKK. It has been a rough year. Last year was ok but still underperformed. I know I should sell or pair back some of those tech names, but I feel foolish doing it after they've all seen a 30-40% drop. I also think they are all still great companies.
Still with ARKK? Just for fond memories? :beer
At this point, yes. I keep telling myself it really can't fall much more and yet, here we are. I also keep it as a lesson that I can't expect actively managed funds to outperform in the long term and I shouldn't bother investing in them. I had a huge gain in the fund at one point that has not surprisingly evaporated.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Down a lot, but I don’t know how much because I’m not looking. Investing is on autopilot and happens weekly, bi-monthly and monthly into various accounts. I’ll look in December or maybe earlier if things change course dramatically (which I doubt at this point, but who the heck knows?).
tobyy

Post by tobyy »

mtmingus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:27 am

Are your equities all in value?
It's -15% YTD now. No, my equities are in a cap-weighted global stock market index fund.
mtmingus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:27 am How did you get -13% YTD with 90% equities?
International diversification + favorable currency exchange rate (I live in Europe and the US dollar strengthened against the EUR... 1 usd was worth 0.88 eur on Jan 1st, now it's worth 0.95 eur).
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

9-5 Suited wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:14 am
AA 33/67
How much of that 67% is in cash/CDs? BND's NAV is down 11.5% YTD not to mention the 33% stock component, so guessing it's quite a bit?
None is in cash or CD's. I am a federal employee, and my money is in a mixture of L-income and L2030. I believe most is in the G-fund (government securities).

Mike
Gecko10x

Post by Gecko10x »

We're now down more YTD than we had total at the end of 2014. Don't know how to feel about that. :?
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

tobyy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:29 pm
mtmingus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:27 am

Are your equities all in value?
It's -15% YTD now. No, my equities are in a cap-weighted global stock market index fund.
mtmingus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:27 am How did you get -13% YTD with 90% equities?
International diversification + favorable currency exchange rate (I live in Europe and the US dollar strengthened against the EUR... 1 usd was worth 0.88 eur on Jan 1st, now it's worth 0.95 eur).
We are -12% YTD with AA as of now 55:45. Got lucky being out of bond since a year ago but still hit by US equities.
Expro

Post by Expro »

60/40

-17.0%
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

When we post updates here, do we count contributions? If so, then I would be pretty flat since in early accumulation phase.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Good question. See the wiki: Calculating personal returns and note the term "investor return"

(I'm not sure of the answer, but it's a good place to start.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

familythriftmd wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:02 am When we post updates here, do we count contributions? If so, then I would be pretty flat since in early accumulation phase.
A lot of people will state that they are using "Beardstown" math or accounting, which means that they are just comparing the balances of their portfolios from the start of a period to the end so that contributions get counted as growth. It has the virtue of being very simple to calculate and may be what you actually care about for some purposes. Here is a thread on calculating the internal money-weighted rate of return, with a spreadsheet to do the calculations, which drills down more specifically into how your investments are doing, not the broader financial picture that includes contributions.

It can make a big difference if you are still making significant contributions. We are not all that early in accumulation, with over 15x saved, but the difference between the two numbers is still large. We are only down about 6% using Beardstown math YTD, but IRR would be more like down 16-18% if I sat down to do the calculation today.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

HootingSloth wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:57 am
familythriftmd wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:02 am When we post updates here, do we count contributions? If so, then I would be pretty flat since in early accumulation phase.
A lot of people will state that they are using "Beardstown" math or accounting, which means that they are just comparing the balances of their portfolios from the start of a period to the end so that contributions get counted as growth. It has the virtue of being very simple to calculate and may be what you actually care about for some purposes. Here is a thread on calculating the internal money-weighted rate of return, with a spreadsheet to do the calculations, which drills down more specifically into how your investments are doing, not the broader financial picture that includes contributions.

It can make a big difference if you are still making significant contributions. We are not all that early in accumulation, with over 15x saved, but the difference between the two numbers is still large. We are only down about 6% using Beardstown math YTD, but IRR would be more like down 16-18% if I sat down to do the calculation today.
Thanks! Looks like according to the spreadsheet, the total portfolio was up 11% from 12/12/2021 to 4/16/2022. That was the most granular I could easily get since I didn't input stuff into the spreadsheet on exactly 12/31 or 1/01. I'll have to run them again this weekend and see where we stand, but heuristically looks pretty flat from April to June.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:55 pm
9-5 Suited wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:14 am
AA 33/67
None is in cash or CD's. I am a federal employee, and my money is in a mixture of L-income and L2030. I believe most is in the G-fund (government securities).

Mike
Nice. The G-Fund is 'cash-like' with its principal protection but with a super-charged rate of return, so that has worked out great for you this year as marked-to-market bonds decline in principal value.
revhappy

Post by revhappy »

Gecko10x wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:08 am We're now down more YTD than we had total at the end of 2014. Don't know how to feel about that. :?
Easy come easy go