Master Thread for RTP, North Carolina Bogleheads Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Master Thread for RTP, North Carolina Bogleheads Chapter

Post by Steve Thorpe »

[Edited 10/26/2020 to reflect the chapter's new home on Google Groups]

Hello Bogleheads,

Here I'm following up on tidalwave10's suggestion in http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133110 to create a master thread for the RTP, North Carolina Bogleheads chapter. Per tidalwave10 this can be:

"a single Master Thread for posting meeting notices to. This way, anyone interested can Subscribe to the Master Thread and be notified when there's activity. This wouldn't preclude posting individual meeting announcements, e.g. Meeting #3, Meeting #4, etc. But I think the former is more efficient and effective.

This would be helpful in cases where:

1) Someone may be interested in joining a local Chapter but has not yet made contact (e.g. is not on an email distribution list, etc)
2) Who doesn't regularly check the Local Chapters forum for meeting announcements from their local Chapter
3) And where the local Chapter doesn't have a Web Page where meeting announcements are made (e.g. the Raleigh / RTP Chapter doesn't seem to have a web page)"

Also FYI for those local 'heads not already on the list, I set up a Google Groups "rtpbogleheads" email list for our local chapter. Please consider joining the list to help our chapter communications (see below for joining details). From the group's description:
Welcome to the Google group of the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina Area Bogleheads Chapter. The Bogleheads are an investing and personal finance interest group inspired by the example of Jack Bogle, the founder of the Vanguard mutual fund company.

This list is primarily to foster easy communications among our local chapter members, in particular regarding reminders and logistics on upcoming meetings which we hope to hold approximately quarterly. All are encouraged to continue use the national forum (bogleheads.org) for most postings.

Please stick to the spirit of the national chapter's forum policies and etiquette: basically, keep to investing topics and stay away from politics. Further details on posting etiquette can be found here: rules

Initially this list will be configured to allow through all member postings in an un-moderated fashion, though adjustments may be made later as deemed appropriate by the list manager.

If you're interested to know of other local Boglehead chapters, please see the Google Map maintained by Mel Lindauer at http://www.lostsprings.com/diehards/chapters/

Thank you!

Steve Thorpe
RTP Area Bogleheads Chapter Organizer
rtpbogleheads Google Group addresses are:

Code: Select all

Subscribe:          rtpbogleheads+subscribe@googlegroups.com
Post message:       rtpbogleheads@googlegroups.com
Unsubscribe:        rtpbogleheads+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
List owner:         rtpbogleheads+owner@googlegroups.com
Group home page:    https://groups.google.com/g/rtpbogleheads/
Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about Google group logistics.

Meantime I'll probably continue to set up a new topic for each local chapter meeting, but will do my best to send a reminder to this topic as well in order to benefit RTP area Bogleheads who would like to subscribe to this topic.

Thanks & best wishes,

Steve
Last edited by Steve Thorpe on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Thorpe
Methedras

Re: Master Thread for RTP, North Carolina Bogleheads Chapter

Post by Methedras »

Howdy,

Just putting a post here to "tag" the thread so I can find it again later.

I am a special variety of RTP Boglehead: I was born and raised in Raleigh, I own a house in Raleigh, and I will likely one day move back to Raleigh. However, I am currently living in London, so I am a bit of an absentee RTP Boglehead.

:beer
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello Methedras: Glad to know you from "across the pond" and I look forward to meeting you someday!

RTP Bogleheads: Our next chapter meeting has been scheduled for 9:30 AM June 14, 2014. I'm happy to report that we'll have a special guest of honor: Rick Ferri! Please click here to see all the details!
Steve Thorpe
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

Steve Thorpe wrote:Hello Methedras: Glad to know you from "across the pond" and I look forward to meeting you someday!

RTP Bogleheads: Our next chapter meeting has been scheduled for 9:30 AM June 14, 2014. I'm happy to report that we'll have a special guest of honor: Rick Ferri! Please click here to see all the details!
@Methedras--hope things are going well with your venture. A little pokey here with my own, but inching forward. I see you're in London presently. Almost had the opportunity to take a job in Galway, Ireland back in the late 90's. One of those things I regret not doing--especially since Galway, on Ireland's rugged West Coast, is one of my favorite places in the entire Republic. Miss all the pubs with peat fires. Even in Boston, "the next Parish over" from Ireland, none of the pubs there come close to the feel, and scent, of a Galwegian pub.

@Steve, thanks so much for doing this. I think it will add value.
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Bogleheads,

Our next meeting will be at 11:11 AM on Saturday September 13, 2014. Please see this topic for further details:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143596

Thanks and I hope to see you then!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Bogleheads,

Just a reminder about Saturday's meeting -- see above for the link to the topic with logistical details. Hope to see you there!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Bogleheads,

Our next meeting is going to be 12 Noon Friday January 16, 2015 at Duke University. We have a very special guest of honor this time: John C. Bogle will be joining us via Skype! :D

More details are posted on this topic: viewtopic.php?t=152229

Steve
Steve Thorpe
GolfGuy123

Post by GolfGuy123 »

Hello!

I have lived in the Raleigh for 2 years now (almost exactly to the day!). I would love to join the local Bogleheads Chapter. I just recently began posting here as you can probably tell however I have been reading the forums for sometime. Is there anyway I can get on the email distro list etc.?

Thanks for your time.
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi Golf Guy,

We occasionally use the rtpbogleheads@yahoogroups.com email list to exchange info about upcoming local chapter meetings, etc. rtpbogleheads Yahoo Group Addresses are as follows -- if you have any troubles subscribing, you can send me a PM with your email address and I could ask the list to send you an invitation.

Code: Select all

Subscribe:          rtpbogleheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Post message:       rtpbogleheads@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe:        rtpbogleheads-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner:         rtpbogleheads-owner@yahoogroups.com
Group home page:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rtpbogleheads
Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about yahoo group logistics. And welcome to the RTP area Bogleheads!

Steve
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP-area Bogleheads,

The Duke University location has been identified for our Jan 16 meeting with special guest Jack Bogle. Please see the following topic for the details:

viewtopic.php?t=152229

Thanks and I hope to see you at noon January 16!

Steve
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello everyone,

The recording of our January 16 conversation with Jack Bogle has been posted to Youtube. Please check this post for the link:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=152229&p=2346913#p2346913

Thanks!
Steve Thorpe
snowyday

Post by snowyday »

Like Methedras, I'm just posting to find this thread easily again...
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi all,

Our next meeting will be at 11:11 AM Saturday April 25, 2015... see this post for further details:

viewtopic.php?t=162265

Thanks!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi RTP Boglehead friends,

Meeting 24 of the Research Triangle Park Bogleheads® has been scheduled for 11:12 AM Saturday August 29, 2015 at Pompieri Pizza in Durham. More info is here: viewtopic.php?t=165249

Thanks & I hope to see you there!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Just a reminder about Saturday's lunch meeting - see just above this post for a link to the meeting logistics. Thanks and I hope to see you Saturday!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Bogleheads,

Our next meeting is scheduled for 9:30 AM Saturday November 14. Here's a link to the forum topic: viewtopic.php?t=175961

Thanks and hope to see you there!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi RTP Bogleheads,

Just a reminder about Saturday's meeting (see posting just above for the link). Hope to see you there!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

FYI I posted a short summary of yesterday's meeting here. Enjoy!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Boglehead friends,

Our next meeting has been scheduled for 9:30 AM Saturday April 23, 2016 in Durham. Please see this link for further information: viewtopic.php?t=185887

Thanks and I hope to see you there!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Just sending a friendly reminder, our next meeting is 9:30 AM this Saturday April 23, 2016 in Durham. Please see this link for further information: viewtopic.php?t=185887

Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Bogleheads,

FYI I posted a short summary of yesterday's meeting here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=185887&p=2881526#p2881526
Steve Thorpe
Flav

Post by Flav »

Good Morning,

I am a new Boglehead and I am also new to NC. I live about an hour from Research Triangle Park. I was just wondering if any new meetings were in the works. I'd love to attend.

V/R,
Flav
“It is not necessary to do extraordinary things to get extraordinary results.” -WB
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi Flav,

Welcome to NC and to the RTP NC Bogleheads. We haven't scheduled our next meeting but I am thinking about setting something up for the 2nd half of August. When that is decided it will be posted to this topic, and since you've also posted to the topic you'll likely receive a notification email. Stay tuned......
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello Boglehead friends,

Our next RTP, NC area Bogleheads meeting will be held at 11:11 AM Saturday August 27 at Bull City Burger & Brewery. See this topic for logistical details: viewtopic.php?t=195864

Steve Thorpe
Flav

Post by Flav »

Steve,

Thanks for the invite. Bull City Burger and Brewery sounds great. Sadly, I will not be home in time to make this meet up. I am currently deployed to the Middle East. I will be back around November and will definitely be checking this forum for meetings during the holiday season.

Also, thank you for the message and warm welcome. Best wishes for a good turnout at your Aug 27th meetup!

V/R,
Flav
“It is not necessary to do extraordinary things to get extraordinary results.” -WB
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi Flav,

Thank you very much for serving our country. I am sorry we'll miss you in August but hopefully the next meeting's schedule will work. All best!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello Boglehead friends,

Our next RTP, NC chapter meeting has been scheduled for 11 AM Saturday December 3, 2016. Please see this link for the details: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=201511

Hope to see you there!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Just a reminder about our next meeting which is at 11:00 AM Saturday at Satisfaction Restaurant. See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=201511 for the logistical details.

Thanks & I hope to see you then!
Steve Thorpe
FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 »

Hello, recent transplant to area. Looking forward to attending next meeting. Do you hold any meetings closer to Raleigh/Cary/Apex?
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

FBN2014 wrote:Hello, recent transplant to area. Looking forward to attending next meeting. Do you hold any meetings closer to Raleigh/Cary/Apex?
Hi FBN,

Welcome to the Triangle! Most of the time we've held meetings in Durham. Although if there is a nice venue out your way it might be nice to try it. Do you know of one?

Thanks.
Steve Thorpe
FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 »

What would be your criteria as a nice venue? What type of food? Would we need a separate meeting room? How many bogleheads usually attend?
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
robby152

Post by robby152 »

I just found this thread and am a semi-recent transplant as well. Will be following this thread for updates
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Robby: Welcome!

FBN: Venues we've been to previously range from the community room at the condos where I live, to a meeting room in a co-working space, to informal restaurants such as hamburger or pizza joints, and occasionally classrooms or lecture centers at Duke University. We have had some issues with noisy restaurants, so if we meet at a restaurant it is best if there is a private meeting room. Number of attendees tends to vary between 8-20 I would say. We're not certain on the details of our next meeting but my guess is it would be around early March. Maybe you can join us for that one to get a feel for the group, and then we can consider setting something up down your way for a future meeting? Thanks!
Steve Thorpe
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi RTP local chapter members (and all interested readers):

We have published Steve's local chapter meeting summaries on the site's affiliate blog, Financial Page. These posts are organized under the RTP North Carolina Local Chapter tag for precise grouping. This will allow you to quickly access the summaries without wading through forum posts if you wish to read them.

Since most of the summaries are relatively short, we have placed them all in a yearly page. There is one exception: A standalone page for the Saturday 23, 2013 meeting with the Larry Swedroe interview.

Here is the link--> RTP North Carolina Local Chapter | Financial Page

Note that this link is a tag. The posts are also categorized under a broader "Boglehead local chapters" category, which includes all Local Chapter posts.

Here is the link--> Boglehead local chapters | Financial Page

The summaries have been lightly edited to set them into the blog medium.

In addition, our blog page for Upcoming events | Financial Page includes an additional page about the chapter--->RTP NC Bogleheads® | Financial Page

regards,

edit:added link
Last edited by Barry Barnitz on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Our next meeting will be at 11:00 AM Saturday April 1, 2017 at Durham's Satisfaction restaurant. Please see this link for further information: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=210953

Steve Thorpe
ScottyDog

Post by ScottyDog »

Have been following the group for some time from afar in Indiana, and have finally retired here to be close to family.
Hope to make the next meeting in April.

Steve
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

(Due to scheduling conflicts the meeting formerly scheduled for August 26, 2017 is being postponed to September 9, 2017)

Our next meeting will be at 11:00 AM Saturday September 9, 2017 at Durham's Satisfaction restaurant. Please see this link for further information: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=217296

Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Just posting a reminder that our next meeting is 11 AM Sat Sept 9 (Not tomorrow). Hope to see you on the 9th!

Thanks.
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi RTP, NC area Boglehead friends,

Our next meeting has been scheduled for 11:00 AM Saturday December 2, 2017 at Durham's Satisfaction restaurant. Please see this topic for further details: viewtopic.php?t=230504

Thanks!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi RTP area Bogleheads,

Just a reminder about this Saturday's meeting, 11 AM at Satisfaction Restaurant in Durham, NC. Hope to see you there!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

FYI I posted a short summary of yesterday's meeting at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=230504&p=3645892#p3645892
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Our next meeting has been scheduled for 11:11 AM Saturday May 12, 2018 at Bull City Burger and Brewery. Please see this post for further logistical information: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=247308

Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Our next meeting has been scheduled for 12 noon Saturday August 25, 2018 at Duke University's Social Sciences Building's Room 111. Please see this post for further logistical information: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=254572

Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Just sending a reminder about Saturday's meeting... see my previous post (just above) for a link to meeting logistics.

Thanks!
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Our next meeting has been scheduled for 9:30 AM Saturday December 8, 2018 in Durham. Please see this post for further logistical information: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=262544

Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Just posting a reminder about tomorrow's meeting at 9:30 AM. Please take special note of the directions (try to approach from the North rather than from the Main St. Direction), also don't park in a spot marked "BW"). See this URL for further details: viewtopic.php?t=262544

Ed has kindly volunteered to supply bagels and juice.

Thanks and I hope to see you at 9:30 AM!

Steve
Steve Thorpe
jeffrey.taekman

Post by jeffrey.taekman »

I'd like to join this group.....I'm a long-term resident of the Triangle and a former lurker (under a different name) in the Boglehead Forums.
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome to the RTP Bogleheads. Will post announcements about future meetings on this topic. But also you can join the rtpbogleheads yahoo group to receive emails.... check this post and search for "rtpbogleheads" for subscribing instructions.

viewtopic.php?t=262544

All best.
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Our next meeting has been scheduled for 11:00 AM Saturday April 6, 2019 at Duke University. Please see this post for further logistical information: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=275339

Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Due to a number of scheduling conflicts, the April 6 RTP Bogleheads chapter meeting will be cancelled. We hope for an opportunity to try again with Allan Roth next spring. My apologies for any inconvenience this cancellation causes

To replace the previously planned April 6 meeting which was to have been at Duke University, we will instead have a meeting at 9:30 AM on Saturday April 13. Please see this link for further logistical information including directions:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=277477

Thank you.
Steve Thorpe