High Earners - What's Your Profession?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
smalliebigs

Re: High Earners - What's Your Profession?

Post by smalliebigs »

I wouldn't consider myself high income at all. But thought I'd contribute. My family and I live in a relatively LCOL area, and my salary + bonus is about $110,000.

Fortunate that my parents helped a lot with the housing down-payment and with some of the child's day care costs.
stochastic

Post by stochastic »

investingdad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:00 pm
fanmail wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:38 am
investingdad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 am
semperlux wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:25 am
ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:46 amAh that's a tough one. How old is your kid?

For pure earning potential, demand, and impact, right now it's hard to bet against technology specifically computer science/software of some kind. Recessions come and go, I'm old enough to remember 2001 and 2009 and the impact on the tech sector as I imagine most here are (y'all remember "RIP Good Times"?) But it's really hard to imagine the long-term trajectory for software and technology declining.

Of course when trying to guide kids there's a lot of other factors to consider....
My kiddo's only 5, but I want to steer her towards extracurriculars that may peak her interest in promising careers. I'm seeing the same trend on technology / CS / software engineer, but I'm wondering how long that will last. Although with AI ramping up, I think the trend will likely go on for a couple more decades hopefully.

How much are software engineers' pay tied to stock options / company's performance / annual bonus? 20% 30%. Because that needs to be taken into consideration compared to someone who is paid straight up without condition.
No AI will ever rewire your house or fix a leaky water line.

Just something to consider as you steer your little one to careers.
How do you know?
I'm pretty comfortable with this statement.
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens within my lifetime. But by the time robots are rewiring your house, the nature of employment is going to be almost unrecognizable.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

I think most people really overestimate how much AI/robotics will advance in our lifetimes.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:46 amAh that's a tough one. How old is your kid?

For pure earning potential, demand, and impact, right now it's hard to bet against technology specifically computer science/software of some kind. Recessions come and go, I'm old enough to remember 2001 and 2009 and the impact on the tech sector as I imagine most here are (y'all remember "RIP Good Times"?) But it's really hard to imagine the long-term trajectory for software and technology declining.

Of course when trying to guide kids there's a lot of other factors to consider....
My kiddo's only 5, but I want to steer her towards extracurriculars that may peak her interest in promising careers. I'm seeing the same trend on technology / CS / software engineer, but I'm wondering how long that will last. Although with AI ramping up, I think the trend will likely go on for a couple more decades hopefully.

How much are software engineers' pay tied to stock options / company's performance / annual bonus? 20% 30%. Because that needs to be taken into consideration compared to someone who is paid straight up without condition.

I am almost 100% certain it will, in some capacity. Whether or not it's within our lifetime is open for debate.
60B4E24B

Post by 60B4E24B »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:44 am
60B4E24B wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 pm Software engineer at a hedge fund in NYC. Base is $230k, bonus varies, but was $415k last year. Haven't gotten my numbers for this year yet.
How many years have you been doing this? Would you mind sharing the total comp trajectory?
I've been at my fund about 3 years now. With 13 years total experience. 8 years at one FAANG, and two at another before joining this fund. Comp at the last FAANG was around $350k, at the Senior level. I've been growing 20% per year since moving to finance.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

KyleAAA wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:40 pm

I am almost 100% certain it will, in some capacity. Whether or not it's within our lifetime is open for debate.
How long a lifetime is remains to be seen as well. There may be a dramatic drop in average life expectancy following the singularity if AI doesn't like us. If it does, maybe we'll live far longer than we do now, which would give AI a longer window to fulfill the prophecy of attending to our leaky water lines. Of course, due to pollution or nuclear holocaust, only robots and cockroaches may be able to exist by then anyhow. That could affect future pay scales as well.

It's fun to speculate about the future but, in the meantime, I'm earning around $115k/year as a mid-career elementary school teacher. I get half the days of the year off, love my job, and am expecting a six-figure pension. Though, these days, they can't seem to find new teachers in my neck of the woods (Silicon Valley). I think the low pay is a factor. $100k in one place can be very different from $100k in another place.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I was talking with a software developer from Amazon (Minneapolis) on a Megabus. He said everytime he's switched jobs in the last several years he's gotten a 40% raise.

As a mech eng, one can get a big payday through a startup acquisition, but the individual contributor won't make big bucks unless u become a director.

I think I make $150k including bonus after working for 12 years in my field (mech eng, biomedical), but that's about entry level pay at many top companies around here for software developers. Then again, many developers make less than 100k, based on glass door.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Lawyer
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Physician turned entrepreneur. I was making around 300k, then I pivoted to starting a medical related company. Now make well into 7 figures with my own company that employs hundreds. More than 90% of our employees make 6 figures.
desafinado

Post by desafinado »

60B4E24B wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 pm Software engineer at a hedge fund in NYC. Base is $230k, bonus varies, but was $415k last year. Haven't gotten my numbers for this year yet.
How long have you been at it? I have a broadly similar job and my all-in is at ~300 after a couple years.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

desafinado wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:12 am
How long have you been at it? I have a broadly similar job and my all-in is at ~300 after a couple years.
I asked the same question, and @60B4E24B (rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?) was kind enough to answer
I've been at my fund about 3 years now. With 13 years total experience. 8 years at one FAANG, and two at another before joining this fund. Comp at the last FAANG was around $350k, at the Senior level. I've been growing 20% per year since moving to finance.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

Archimedes wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:36 am Physician turned entrepreneur. I was making around 300k, then I pivoted to starting a medical related company. Now make well into 7 figures with my own company that employs hundreds. More than 90% of our employees make 6 figures.
That’s quite an accomplishment, congratulations!

Can you tell us a little more about your decision to become an entrepreneur? I assume it wasn’t easy getting things off the ground in the early days? I enjoy hearing entrepreneurs stories, I find myself learning a lot from them.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:48 am
Archimedes wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:36 am Physician turned entrepreneur. I was making around 300k, then I pivoted to starting a medical related company. Now make well into 7 figures with my own company that employs hundreds. More than 90% of our employees make 6 figures.

Can you tell us a little more about your decision to become an entrepreneur? I assume it wasn’t easy getting things off the ground in the early days? I enjoy hearing entrepreneurs stories, I find myself learning a lot from them.
I was a physician and a professor at a major university teaching hospital. I loved my job as I love learning and teaching. I was surrounded by incredibly smart people every day.

I started a small side business which early on clearly had the potential to grow. But I was happy with my primary job, and I tend to be quite risk averse. I kept turning down growth opportunities as I was fearful to jump in headfirst as I would have had to quit my university job.

When I reached age 55, I became eligible for early retirement from the university. That security blanket allowed me to finally dive in, to take all the risks to grow the company while still having a back up plan should the risks explode on me.

After 2 years of saying yes to all of the growth opportunities, I put in for retirement at the University, but they didn’t want me to leave. I stayed for almost one more year, but then took the early retirement package and have never looked back.

My company continues to grow and prosper. It has been an amazing journey. The work we do is impactful and the team I have built is incredible to work with. Going to work is pure joy, well, at least most of the time. Of course there are big challenges that come up, but I love the creativity involved in problem solving.
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

I’ve been north of $100k for 3 years now. $120k-ish this year.

I’m an Engineering supervisor at a big company in a uniquely low cost area.
SpaceMonkey

Post by SpaceMonkey »

I'm a fundraiser for a nonprofit organization with about 15 years of experience, earning mid-$100K.
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

60B4E24B wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:52 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:44 am
How many years have you been doing this? Would you mind sharing the total comp trajectory?
Thanks for sharing.
IT/Software Person. NYC/Financial. 300k TC.
*I didn't use software engineer because its too broad of a term. :mrgreen:
geo5000

Post by geo5000 »

Him - Corporate pilot 250K/yr
Her - Cisco exec 350K/yr
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

geo5000 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:48 am Her - Cisco exec 350K/yr
What level and location?

Trying to benchmark a job offer.
Last edited by HEDGEFUNDIE on Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

Archimedes wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:31 am
ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:48 am

I was a physician and a professor at a major university teaching hospital. I loved my job as I love learning and teaching. I was surrounded by incredibly smart people every day.

I started a small side business which early on clearly had the potential to grow. But I was happy with my primary job, and I tend to be quite risk averse. I kept turning down growth opportunities as I was fearful to jump in headfirst as I would have had to quit my university job.

When I reached age 55, I became eligible for early retirement from the university. That security blanket allowed me to finally dive in, to take all the risks to grow the company while still having a back up plan should the risks explode on me.

After 2 years of saying yes to all of the growth opportunities, I put in for retirement at the University, but they didn’t want me to leave. I stayed for almost one more year, but then took the early retirement package and have never looked back.

My company continues to grow and prosper. It has been an amazing journey. The work we do is impactful and the team I have built is incredible to work with. Going to work is pure joy, well, at least most of the time. Of course there are big challenges that come up, but I love the creativity involved in problem solving.
Thank you for sharing!
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

IT consultant
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Data Warehouse Test Automation Engineer at Biotech company in HCOL area - mostly SQL/Python work
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

smalliebigs wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:31 pm I think most people really overestimate how much AI/robotics will advance in our lifetimes.
... ish.

Drones are effectively robots and they are already changing the world. Bringing 24 7 surveillance.

Ditto selection algorithms. For job applications for example.
Vihoo

Post by Vihoo »

Telemedicine, $300k+
Work from home 85%.
ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks »

Investment Banking
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Just to provide some context for folks not working in Software engineering, I worked for a small software company in Atlanta until 2 years ago. I was responsible for the analytics team, but the highest salaried non-manager in the development organization reported to me and he made $151k. All of the 30ish other software engineers made less than that.
For a moderate COL area like Atlanta, that's more typical.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

GT99 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:08 pm Just to provide some context for folks not working in Software engineering, I worked for a small software company in Atlanta until 2 years ago. I was responsible for the analytics team, but the highest salaried non-manager in the development organization reported to me and he made $151k. All of the 30ish other software engineers made less than that.
FWIW my employer just opened an engineering office in Atlanta. Pays nearly the same as San Francisco (a senior engineer in ATL would be looking at a total comp of >$250k).
GT99

Post by GT99 »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:16 pm
GT99 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:08 pm Just to provide some context for folks not working in Software engineering, I worked for a small software company in Atlanta until 2 years ago. I was responsible for the analytics team, but the highest salaried non-manager in the development organization reported to me and he made $151k. All of the 30ish other software engineers made less than that.
FWIW my employer just opened an engineering office in Atlanta. Pays nearly the same as San Francisco (a senior engineer in ATL would be looking at a total comp of >$250k).
And I'm sure they will get the best engineers at that price - top 1 or 2% of all software engineers, i.e. not typical. I doubt even 90th percentile in Atlanta is over $150k.
That said, I know full well a great developer is worth 2 or 3 (or more) average developers. I'd take the best data engineer I've worked with over the bottom 3 combined in a heartbeat.
pharmermummles

Post by pharmermummles »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:16 pm
Nathan Drake wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm
pharmermummles wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:50 am I'm an overnight pharmacist at a hospital in the Midwest. I love the work. It can be exciting at times, but for a lot of the night I am just making sure all the nurses have what they need for their patients and catch up on projects (or post on Bogleheads). I have a 7/70 schedule, so I work 7 10-hour nights in a row, then have a full 7 days off. Pretty great if you can swing it. Shift differentials bring me up to ~$140K base, and with some overtime opportunities, I have been in the ~$165K range. Not super big money, but it's a LCOL area, so it's enough to max out the 403(b), 457(b), and IRAs for my wife and me (she is a stay-at-home mom) with some money left over at the end of the month to save for our next house down payment.
So you’re paid 140k to mostly catch up on personal projects and read bogleheads?

I’m really curious how positions like this can exist. There’s just a requirement to have somebody available to work? Seems very inefficient
If you need meds in the ER, I think you’ll find it more efficient than waiting till morning.
Exactly this. Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's a sweet gig. But this is the nature of off-peak hour emergency medical care. During the day, we have a fully-staffed pharmacy with plenty of help for the orders coming in. The hospitalists and specialists round during the day. All of the scheduled surgeries are done during the day. At night, nothing scheduled ever happens, so the staffing consists of yours truly alone. Either new patients are coming in through the emergency department, ICU patients take a turn for the worse, or a code blue is called. If there are few emergencies, I have a quiet night. Same can be said for the on-call surgeon, who is paid an on-call rate to be at home sleeping next to his phone. You better believe we can mobilize quickly when we need to though, and the rapid administration of care more than pays for itself in reduced further complications. That's also why you pay through the nose if you go to an ER for a minor issue. That expensive system is in place for more serious needs, where the cost is justified. If you have a cold or your shoulder hurts, wait until morning and schedule an appointment.
cogito

Post by cogito »

Artist
Last edited by cogito on Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 »

tibbitts wrote:I

Most of the people I know who have stayed at companies for extended periods of time, are way behind their piers. Those who are the top earners probably changed companies four or five times in the first 15-20 years of their career. At that time you can think about retiring from that company. That is only if it is still in business twenty years later, or there aren't significant layoffs periodically.
As someone that has worked at the same company for 45 years I would agree .
I make a "comfortable " wage but even with overtime I am well below the 100K mark.
What I have seen over my time here is loss of profit sharing ,pension and decimating of heath care benefits
I'm not complaining as it has always been my choice to leave, but I do feel sorry for my younger peers .
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Retired Fire Chief
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

How long have you been working professionally?
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Airline pilot. Around $130k and should go up unless economy collapses and people stop traveling.
Bodacious

Post by Bodacious »

Environmental Health Specialist-we regulate small water systems, landfills, medical waste, body art, wastewater, and issue well drilling permits.

I don't consider myself a high earner but I enjoy my career (almost 25 years). CALPERS pension is around the corner :)
desafinado

Post by desafinado »

keith6014 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:23 pm
How long have you been working professionally?
Couple years
OldSport

Post by OldSport »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 pm

How long a lifetime is remains to be seen as well. There may be a dramatic drop in average life expectancy following the singularity if AI doesn't like us. If it does, maybe we'll live far longer than we do now, which would give AI a longer window to fulfill the prophecy of attending to our leaky water lines. Of course, due to pollution or nuclear holocaust, only robots and cockroaches may be able to exist by then anyhow. That could affect future pay scales as well.

It's fun to speculate about the future but, in the meantime, I'm earning around $115k/year as a mid-career elementary school teacher. I get half the days of the year off, love my job, and am expecting a six-figure pension. Though, these days, they can't seem to find new teachers in my neck of the woods (Silicon Valley). I think the low pay is a factor. $100k in one place can be very different from $100k in another place.
$115k is "low" pay? Wow...sometimes this forum gets a little ridiculous.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

OldSport wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:58 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 pm

$115k is "low" pay? Wow...sometimes this forum gets a little ridiculous.
I'm just stating that context matters and that not every place is the same. For example, $100k goes a lot further in Oklahoma than it does in Silicon Valley. The median home price where I work is seven-figures. Few these days are willing to teach where I work for this so-called "high" salary. We currently have a big teaching shortage and the problem seems to be getting worse each year.

On a sidenote (but a related one), due to inflation, $100k today is not the same as $100k back when this thread was started almost six years ago. These details make a difference is all I'm saying.
Last edited by Ron Ronnerson on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

While AI might not rewire a house, products make it easier for those not in the trade to complete.

Sharkbites turned homeowners into plumbers. Hell you can put copper lines on a water heater and adapt their lines with the shutoff valve in under 10 minutes.

LED lights let you add lights to existing circuits without running a new circuit. The new waffer recessed lights let you cut In a light anywhere.
Startingover2019

Post by Startingover2019 »

piper wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:16 am Another construction guy here. I see numerous people making six figures in the non union plumbing trades. There are also plenty of 7 figure incomes, including myself in the trades. who would have thought? Not as many blue collar workers on here as i would have thought either.
What do you do?
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Lieutenant for my local Fire Department in HCOL area. Will clear $150k this year with a significant amount of overtime. Good benefits. Great co-workers.
moptop

Post by moptop »

Tooth janitor...i mean dentist.
Talisker

Post by Talisker »

Airline Pilot
Regatta03

Post by Regatta03 »

Finance / Private Credit in HCOL ...salary to ramp to $400-425k this year (after many years of being underpaid vs. market).
semperlux

Post by semperlux »

investingdad wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 amNo AI will ever rewire your house or fix a leaky water line.

True that. If I didn't have a knack at what I currently do, I think I would go into the trades. Having paid for an electrician and plumber's services before , I would say they do pretty well for themselves.
indicurious

Post by indicurious »

Vihoo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:24 am Telemedicine, $300k+
Work from home 85%.
I am new to the telemedicine but so far very few patients. can you specify your specialty?
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:34 am For half the people on the forum, I can save them the trouble of responding: They are physicians.

I'm a scientist, not a physician.
FWIW, I'm a physician scientist. Best (or worst) of both worlds.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

moptop wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:18 pm Tooth janitor...i mean dentist.
Human plover?
Spootypuff

Post by Spootypuff »

Him: Biomedical engineer ~$220k
Her: Product Owner @ telecom company~$120k
We live in a relatively LCOL area in North Texas
Clammypollack

Post by Clammypollack »

I’m a sales rep in the healthcare industry and make about $200k
TheLaughingCow

Post by TheLaughingCow »

austin757 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:32 pm Airline pilot. Around $130k and should go up unless economy collapses and people stop traveling.
An oddly prophetic post.

Hope you're doing well.