Pull-ups and Push-ups

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Triple digit golfer

Re: Need to be able to do 30 chin-ups

Post by Triple digit golfer »

reln wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:25 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:20 pm I will be doing chin-ups on July 1. Classic, palms facing me chin-ups.

I made a bet with a guy from work that I would be able to do 30 by July 1. He seems to think it is impossible and only some freak of nature would be able to accomplish such a feat.

So, my goal is to be able to do 30 chin-ups by July 1, which is 56 days from now. I can currently do 18.

What is the best way for me to increase my one set maximum?

Do I aim for X number of chin-ups per workout, and do it over however many sets I desire? Or do I do Y numbers of sets and increase the total that way?

Last workout I did 15-14-12-8. So 49 total. I can start with 18 to failure, but in subsequent sets I wouldn't be able to do as many.

Just wondering what the best way to increase my ability to do as many as possible on one set. That is the only goal.
My pushups max in the army was 101. The way I got there was 1 set max followed up with a long rest period and then doing another 1 set max. And so on. Train as you fight; want to get your 1 set max up? Do 1 set max over and over again. Good luck 👍 you got this.

An easy way to jump up on reps is to lose weight. So try to lose 10 to 20 lbs.
Sounds good! I lost 37 pounds and am now only 155 at 5'6". Still can bench 225 strict for a few reps.

I used to lift weights and had no problem adding weight to the bar, but never trained high reps or bodyweight exercises.
I got to a 3 plate squat and 4 plate deadlift for a few good formed reps, so I was decently strong.

But I was too heavy, blood pressure was high (runs in family) and my joints hurt all the time.

That, plus honestly I lost the passion for weightlifting, but seem to have found a new motivation with bodyweight exercises.
Triple digit golfer

Oh, and 101 pushups is incredible! I am impressed!
reln

Post by reln »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:38 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:20 pm I will be doing chin-ups on July 1. Classic, palms facing me chin-ups.

I made a bet with a guy from work that I would be able to do 30 by July 1. He seems to think it is impossible and only some freak of nature would be able to accomplish such a feat.

So, my goal is to be able to do 30 chin-ups by July 1, which is 56 days from now. I can currently do 18.

Do I aim for X number of chin-ups per workout, and do it over however many sets I desire? Or do I do Y numbers of sets and increase the total that way?

Last workout I did 15-14-12-8. So 49 total. I can start with 18 to failure, but in subsequent sets I wouldn't be able to do as many.

Just wondering what the best way to increase my ability to do as many as possible on one set. That is the only goal.
My pushups max in the army was 101. The way I got there was 1 set max followed up with a long rest period and then doing another 1 set max. And so on. Train as you fight; want to get your 1 set max up? Do 1 set max over and over again. Good luck 👍 you got this.

Sounds good! I lost 37 pounds and am now only 155 at 5'6". Still can bench 225 strict for a few reps.

I used to lift weights and had no problem adding weight to the bar, but never trained high reps or bodyweight exercises.
I got to a 3 plate squat and 4 plate deadlift for a few good formed reps, so I was decently strong.

But I was too heavy, blood pressure was high (runs in family) and my joints hurt all the time.

That, plus honestly I lost the passion for weightlifting, but seem to have found a new motivation with bodyweight exercises.
I've also found a new motivation for body weight exercises. There's a very satisfying feeling to being able to do a ton of pull ups, dips, pushups, sit-ups, and run for a long time.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:20 pm He seems to think it is impossible and only some freak of nature would be able to accomplish such a feat.
There is one freak of nature who I know can do this. Look up Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins. He weighs about 250 pounds and routinely does 30+ reps.
Triple digit golfer

Hockey10 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:42 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:20 pm He seems to think it is impossible and only some freak of nature would be able to accomplish such a feat.
There is one freak of nature who I know can do this. Look up Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins. He weighs about 250 pounds and routinely does 30+ reps.
That guy is a flat out monster on the ice. I didn't know he does 30+ reps. At 250, that's absolutely insane. Usually it's the little guys. He's like 6'7" but it's still very impressive.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I love this thread. What are the stakes?

I'd suggest mixing in some lower weight higher rep workouts like lat pulls and curls but that's going to be tough without a gym. Do you have a partner that can give you a boost while you do chin ups?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Lose another 10 pounds and your bp ought to come down with it.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
targetconfusion

Post by targetconfusion »

For this type of stuff people seem to really like "greasing the groove": https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ve/598837/ And as Grt2bOutdoors pointed out, yes, losing a couple of pounds could help the denominator of the strength/weight ratio that's so determinative in body-weight movements.
Triple digit golfer

mega317 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:48 pm I love this thread. What are the stakes?

I'd suggest mixing in some lower weight higher rep workouts like lat pulls and curls but that's going to be tough without a gym. Do you have a partner that can give you a boost while you do chin ups?
My wife would probably be happy to help.

Stakes are $250 cash. If I do 29, I lose. It's more about bragging rights for me. Rules are simple. Chin over bar is a rep. Arms extended at the bottom. In my training and the 18 I can do now is bar to upper chest. I can likely squeeze a couple extra out and still get my chin over.

I was thinking barbell rows to supplement as well. I have a bar, weights, and power rack at home.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I would have to believe your performance would be greatly influenced by the amount of your wager.

What was your bet?

A larger bet would be an incentive to me to be able to win. A smaller bet, maybe not so much.

Would you train harder for a bet of $1,000? I believe I would. OTOH, a ten buck wager wouldn't hurt too much if you lost. Of course losing might mean being shamed by the winner. :D

Money is usually a pretty good incentive, or not, depending on the amount.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: I see the bet is $250. That is a worthy amount. Why are you posting? Get back to work! You could be training. No more goofing off in the BH forum!
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Triple digit golfer

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:55 pm I would have to believe your performance would be greatly influenced by the amount of your wager.

What was your bet?

A larger bet would be an incentive to me to be able to win. A smaller bet, maybe not so much.

Would you train harder for a bet of $1,000? I believe I would. OTOH, a ten buck wager wouldn't hurt too much if you lost. Of course losing might mean being shamed by the winner. :D

Broken Man 1999

ETA: I see the bet is $250. That is a worthy amount. Why are you posting? Get back to work! You could be training. No more goofing off in the BH forum!
Training as we speak! Finished my work day and now I'm in the poorly lit unfinished basement putting in some work!
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

First off, I don't think that's a good way to train :mrgreen:

Second, since this is a bet, an interesting one, so you gotta win. No way you would back down from this.

I would do the following:
- Prime (warm-up) your upper body. Try to pull back your shoulder by sit-up row, and pulling the bands outwards.

- Don't neglect your core and your lower body. Keep working on squat, deadlift, plank, and situps. You will need to strengthen your wrist and your grip. One trick is do the deadlift with bare hands.

- When you get to your main session of lats workout, don't just do chin-up as the main exercise. I would also do a pull-over 12 reps, and then immediately do rows to failure. Focus on your form, not heavy weight.

- When you do chin-up to 15-20 rep range, add weight to your belt. Focus on 20 reps with weight.

- Give it 3 weeks of those workouts consistently. Then on the forth week, you will be surprise how many reps you can do chin-up. You can get to 30 reps. It's not impossible.
Time is the ultimate currency.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

This is pretty routine for crossfitters. If you're at 18 already, I think you can pretty easily hit your goal. I'd mix it up a lot during the week and test yourself once a week. By mixing it up I'd do weighted pull ups for fewer reps, assisted pull-ups for more reps, kipping pull-ups, strict pull ups, bench presses, rows, curls etc. But I'd make sure I was doing actual pull-ups at least 3 times a week.

Make sure you take 2 days off to rest before the final test!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

I would take a progressive overload approach, in which you increase either volume, resistance (weighted chin ups), intensity, or training frequency. Hard to give advice without knowing your training schedule at this point but that's my general advice. Also, increase protein intake and try to get more sleep! Very important to recover from hard training. Losing some weight would help too. Good luck!
Light weight baby!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

FWIW, the limiting factor in pulling movements is often your grip, not your actual pulling muscles (in this case, lats and biceps). To supplement, I would do farmer's carries/walks, static DB/KB holds, and dead hangs. Losing weight is going to be the lowest hanging fruit.
pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia »

I love this. I love pull ups. I do them weekly as part of my rotation.
I do 4-5 sets (always palms forward).
First I do 30, next 25, then usually 20, 20.
I sometimes add weights to increase the challenge.
Warm up with a set of 20 with no weight, then add 60 or so lbs. I have gone up to as much as 100 lbs.
The only issue is I got some biceps tendinitis from the heavy weight so I backed off of that.

My personal max in one set without weight is about 45.

I'm not a big guy, about 5'10" 165 lbs. But I have always worked out and am very strong for my size.

I suggest you build up...giving yourself at least 3-4 days rest between sets.
Do each rep to max. You can do it! Good luck and let us know.
Last edited by pivoprussia on Wed May 06, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I'm just speaking theoretically as I don't know anybody who trains this or would want to train this (other than for money!) I'm 6'3" 260lbs and can do about eight. This sounds awful.

I'm guessing if you can do 18 then getting to 30 is not a matter of strength, but endurance.

Can you get some bands that would allow you to do get up to 40 or 50 chin ups and taper off/add weight from there?
Last edited by simplesimon on Wed May 06, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Calisthenics is king
1 fund
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

I was told to not ever max out if you're looking to build endurance or volume. Plus it'll take extra time to recover, and you only have two months. Always leave something in the tank. You might be able to "test" maybe once or twice before your July date.

Try doing pyramids, ex: 8-12-14-16-14-12-8. Experiment with rest times and rep counts to ensure you don't over train. It's important to not screw up your shoulder or wrists so concentrate on your form, always stay strict, no swinging, kicking, keep your core super tight and grip the hell out of the bar. I doubt your buddy is going to allow kipping at that count. I do find that I can do more chin ups if I keep my legs straight out front vs bent and tucked. Not sure why, but you should experiment with your leg positions.

Cool bet. Keep us posted.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Have you tried pull ups? Most believe chin-ups are easier, I find pull-ups to be easier than chin-ups myself.
1 fund
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:55 pm I would have to believe your performance would be greatly influenced by the amount of your wager.

What was your bet?

Broken Man 1999

Well.. not me. I'll do it for $1 bet. It's all about the climb.
Time is the ultimate currency.
pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia »

tphp99 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:19 pm I was told to not ever max out if you're looking to build endurance or volume. Plus it'll take extra time to recover, and you only have two months. Always leave something in the tank. You might be able to "test" maybe once or twice before your July date.

Try doing pyramids, ex: 8-12-14-16-14-12-8. Experiment with rest times and rep counts to ensure you don't over train. It's important to not screw up your shoulder or wrists so concentrate on your form, always stay strict, no swinging, kicking, keep your core super tight and grip the hell out of the bar. I doubt your buddy is going to allow kipping at that count. I do find that I can do more chin ups if I keep my legs straight out front vs bent and tucked. Not sure why, but you should experiment with your leg positions.

Cool bet. Keep us posted.
Pull ups use your own weight...he is ok to max out the most reps he can do. If he chooses to add weight I would not max this at all as it is counterproductive.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

dru808 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:18 pm Calisthenics is king
True Boglehead
newbie001

Post by newbie001 »

Interesting bet! Anyone who can do 30 chinups with arms fully extended at the bottom of the reps is a legit bad-*ss. Even 18 is really impressive. Good suggestion upthread about grip strength. I would probably train one set, max reps every other day. Wearing a weighted vest for a while before doing the chinups might help. I don't know if this is bending the rules too much, but loading creatine monohydrate a week or so before the event would likely boost your reps significantly. Good luck!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dru808 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:20 pm Have you tried pull ups? Most believe chin-ups are easier, I find pull-ups to be easier than chin-ups myself.
Really? Pull-ups significantly decrease the amount of biceps activation. Technically, it makes almost no sense that someone would be able to handle a greater load or have more strength endurance when doing chins as opposed to pull-ups, but I've seen odder things.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm
dru808 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:20 pm Have you tried pull ups? Most believe chin-ups are easier, I find pull-ups to be easier than chin-ups myself.
Really? Pull-ups significantly decrease the amount of biceps activation. Technically, it makes almost no sense that someone would be able to handle a greater load or have more strength endurance when doing chins as opposed to pull-ups, but I've seen odder things.

Yes, it is odd. I’ve always performed pull-ups easier, even back to intermediate school during pe tests. My forearms are strong compared to my biceps
Last edited by dru808 on Wed May 06, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 fund
dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine »

You have 8 weeks. 18 strict chin-ups is impressive. I'm assuming strict as start from dead hang, and pulling yourself up to where your chin rises over the bar. I would spend the first 4 weeks purely on volume. Probably doing multiple sets of 10-12 chin-ups each day. Start slow so that you can get a total of 50 more chin-ups the the previous week. Once a week test yourself and do as many as you can in a 5 minute time period. Do this each week trying to beat the previous week.

The next 4 weeks can be adding weight to chin-up, if you can. Load up weight until you can only get 6-8 chin-ups. Use this weight to get a total of 30 reps per workout, regardless of how many sets it takes. Do this every other day for the 4 weeks.

Vary grip so to lower change of over use injury. Do pull-ups (palms forward) and neutral grip (palms facing each other).

Good luck. This sounds very difficult.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Certainly doesn't take a freak of nature, but you do need a good strength/weight ratio (which you presumably have, since you're starting at 18) and endurance.

I've never tried to work solely on pull-up reps, but they've long been a part of my regular weightlifting (not so much chin-ups). Depending upon your age, I'd caution you against overworking/tendinitis. I'm in my early 40s now, and can still manage 30 reps unweighted (8x90 lbs weighted), but I have had both biceps tendinitis and tennis elbow in the last several years, and my injuries have usually been associated with pushing for the next goal, even when my body is starting to tell me to slow down.

I do agree that weighted reps are nice to break up the routine, though I'm not sure how much they'll help you toward your goal since 30 reps...not kipping...is becoming more of an endurance task than a strength task.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

Practice negatives. Start at the top of a chin up and go down very slowly.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

stoptothink wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm
It's a bicep vs lat focus. I can see one over the other being more comfortable depending on which muscle is more relatively dominant. Personally, I've always found chin-ups a bit awkward biomechanically (especially at the bottom of the rep). But others disagree.

For the wager, I would obviously do a lot of pullups, but also look at variations. Try pausing at different points on the way up/down, weighted pullups, and drop sets. Pay particular attention to where in the rep you hit your failure point. Losing a few lbs would help a lot, but you don't have too much time and don't want to be dehydrated for the event.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

18 is great. 30 would be even better.
http://www.50pullups.com/
30 or 50?
The programme is written up to 50 pullups. It is a lot and it is extremely difficult do reach.

We created such plan so that anyone can aim at perfection.

To be honest though, when you reach 30 pullups, it will already be a really impressive achievement. You will have developed your strength and physique substantially. 30 pullups is absolutely enough to maintain healthy, developed muscles and you don't need to do more than that.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

1. Lose as much weight as possible.
2. Begin taking creatine to increase your body's ability to generate ATP.
Last edited by CFM300 on Wed May 06, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine »

Also, make sure you're doing them correctly to minimize risk of elbow pain.

Start from dead hand, engage your lats and retract the scapulas and almost do a reverse shoulder shrug while keeping your elbows straight. Try and focus on doing this as your first movement out of a dead hand, instead of making it solely a bicep exercise.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Back in my backpacking days I knew people that were obsessive about cutting out weight however they could, they would would weigh everything and do things like cutting off the seams on their T-shirt sleeves to save a fraction of an ounce.

When I was doing high school wrestling there were formal weigh ins and it was an ongoing joke(or threat?) that if you did not make your weight you would get a quick buzz haircut to help you make your weight. I don't recall that anyone ever did that but if your hair is a bit shaggy from a few months of social distancing then a haircut might also help you save a few ounces.

Anyway you might want to pay attention to what you will be wearing when you do the final test and you might be able to save a few ounces and every little bit can help.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:04 pmWhen I was doing high school wrestling there were formal weigh ins and it was an ongoing joke(or threat?) that if you did not make your weight you would get a quick buzz haircut to help you make your weight. I don't recall that anyone ever did that but if your hair is a bit shaggy from a few months of social distancing then a haircut might also help you save a few ounces.
I've shaved my head (and everything else) and stripped completely down to make weight for a powerlifting competition. It's likely to make no difference in this context, but when you are literally ounces over with 10mins to weigh-in you don't have a lot of options. "Think light" (Vision Quest reference).
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

At some point we should talk about how to handle PU-Day. We always said in the army if the first push-up you did that PT test morning was when the clock was running, you are wrong. You will want to do some warm up work for sure. For push-ups it was some shoulder stretching and a few pushups with various hand widths.

I also think there should be some strategy. Again, push-ups in army with the need to do 82 to max it out, my strategy, still fresh in my mind even after 22 years out was : 60 straight, 5 second or so rest (there was a prescribed rest position that was not really rest) followed by 10 more. This was normally about 70 seconds into the 120 seconds allowed. Rest a few seconds, then maybe 5 or 6, another maybe longer rest, then finish it up. For those with experience, I was never able to max sit-ups, so it was 82 and stand up.

Good luck, can't wait for the follow ups on this!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

I pretty much agree with dunkmachine

1) Work on strength. Do sets of things like 3x6-10 with an extra 20-30lbs pounds from a vest/belt/dumbell in the feet. Progress by upping the weight. There is a pretty direct correlation between strength and the number of reps you can do.

2) work on endurance. Do sets of 5x10 with 60-90s rest between sets. Over time reduce the rest or increase the reps (i.e. work up to 4x20 with ). Mix things up. instead of 5x10 do 15x3 with longer rests.

3) do some overload training on your weak areas. If your grip is giving out, do some loaded carries or just holding a heavy dumbbell for 60s. If it is your lats or biceps dying, hit them up with extra work

4) As someone out pointed out, lose 10lbs. 1) will demonstrate how much difference an extra 10lbs means

5) technique matters. If you don't have to settle at the bottom, you get to use the stretchiness of your tendons to get you going. A lot of technique is just doing tons of reps

6) Figure out the right pace. There is an optimum pace where you aren't going to fast(tire out your lats) or slow (grip strength tends to be more of a time based thing). I would imagine you should be able to crank out 30 of them in. Maybe every 2 weeks do some test where you keep trying to crank out a new PR.

And finally, make sure you rest. It is tempting to crank these out every day. Most people are better with 3-4 workouts/week and make them harder. Something like 1 strength/2 endurance or just alternating would by my choice.

I am guessing doubling your reps in 60 days is pretty reasonable unless your in really good shape and have been doing lots of them. Beginner gains and all
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Silverado wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:14 pm At some point we should talk about how to handle PU-Day. We always said in the army if the first push-up you did that PT test morning was when the clock was running, you are wrong. You will want to do some warm up work for sure. For push-ups it was some shoulder stretching and a few pushups with various hand widths.

I also think there should be some strategy. Again, push-ups in army with the need to do 82 to max it out, my strategy, still fresh in my mind even after 22 years out was : 60 straight, 5 second or so rest (there was a prescribed rest position that was not really rest) followed by 10 more. This was normally about 70 seconds into the 120 seconds allowed. Rest a few seconds, then maybe 5 or 6, another maybe longer rest, then finish it up. For those with experience, I was never able to max sit-ups, so it was 82 and stand up.

Good luck, can't wait for the follow ups on this!
I don't know what your rest position was, but I have a feeling that doing something like 40, rest, 25 ,rest ,15 rest + whatever would have worked better. In general you are betting off resting a bit too early rather than going into heavy exhaustion that the last couple reps cause. You would have to experiment to know if that number is 30 (i.e. do 3 sets of 30 each), 40 or 50. Same thing with rests of 5,10 or 15s.
z0r

Post by z0r »

easiest way to do more pullups is to get shorter. ok, that's not that easy

second easiest way is to cheat by carrying energy between reps. there's a WIDE range of motion that you can fit in and still claim it's "strict". if you know what to look for you can see it, but most don't. if I was placing a wager on pullups I would have insisted on a timed hang at the bottom with no motion of, say, one second per rep. I assume your coworker didn't, and you can exploit this
Triple digit golfer

Wow, this got more activity than I expected!

Thanks everybody!

For the guys who were discussing it, I find chin-ups significantly easier than pull-ups. I do them very strict. No bouncing or half reps.

My training so far hasn't been anything related to increasing chin-ups because this bet happened today. I've been doing 3x a week bodyweight workouts. Each workout has been 3-5 sets of chin-ups, push-ups, and lunges, with supermans hanging leg raises or planks at the end. I've also been doing cardio a few times a week. Nothing crazy, 20 minutes of intervals a couple times and 20 minutes steady state the other.

I only recently got into bodyweight workouts, but I've never felt better. I'm more agile and blood pressure is down. Of course I understand that losing 37 pounds and doing some additional cardio obviously is the major cause of those things. I'm surprised at all the recommendations to lose weight but I do agree that it will help tremendously. Maybe 5 pounds. I don't want to look or feel skinny. I think I can get to 30 with minimal weight loss. But we'll see.

I do think that simply doing more each workout and set will work. Progressive overload works for adding weight to the bar, so it should work for adding reps to an exercise. Just need to determine what supplemental exercises to add.

I don't want to neglect the other muscle groups either. No need for injuries caused by imbalances.

The only certainty is that I will win this bet. How I get there remains to be seen!

I will provide updates here and there. If I don't, somebody ping me please.
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

Get a belt you can hang weight plates from and put together a workout plan. You’ll definitely have no problem banging out 30 if you can do 15-20 with a 45lb plate hanging from your belt.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

I did something similar - used the stay at home time to try to work up to 100 consecutive pushups.

I started being able to do about 60 pushups consecutive. What I did was alternate days of 4 sets each maxed out spaced out over the day, then on the other day 5 sets of 75% of max in a single 30 minute workout. I am sure there are other ways, but this worked for me.

So 3 weeks in I was doing 4 sets of 90 reps on one day, and a workout of 5 sets of 70 on another day. I rested on the seventh day.

Today after 6 weeks I did sets of 100, 108, 105 and 98. :mrgreen: Surprising how well you can progress.

If you can do 18 now, I think you have the bet in the bag.

Good luck

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Sleep and nutrition will play a key role in reaching your goal. You will want to add some more protein to your diet after your routine.
https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-sourc ... 688d8896_2
Triple digit golfer

I do have a belt with a chain and will begin adding weight to it and maxing reps each set. I will always max reps each set, regardless if how much weight is on the belt.

I'm currently consuming at least 130 grams of protein per day. Maintaining body weight for the last few weeks. If I do lose a few more pounds I will keep protein steady or even increase slightly to maintain muscle mass.

Wild Bill - that is downright impressive! 400+ pushups in a week is impressive, and you did it in 4 sets in one workout. Wow!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:44 pm
I only recently got into bodyweight workouts, but I've never felt better. I'm more agile and blood pressure is down. Of course I understand that losing 37 pounds and doing some additional cardio obviously is the major cause of those things. I'm surprised at all the recommendations to lose weight but I do agree that it will help tremendously. Maybe 5 pounds. I don't want to look or feel skinny. I think I can get to 30 with minimal weight loss. But we'll see.

You got 15-20lbs til your skinny unless you are really muscular. More if your rounding up your height:) And I never heard of anyone not wanting to be able to see their abs:) Seriously though do some workouts with 10 extra lbs to see what the effect of excess weight is. It is real easy to figure out how to lose 10lbs. That is simple napkin math. Strength gains (i.e. upping your max by 10lbs) are much harder to control. Those are more you get what you get. You put in the work but the benefit you gain tends to be very individualistic. You might not need to lose the weight but it is one of the performance levers that you can manipulate. The thing is that you do need to plan ahead. We aren't talking about dehyrdating yourself for some weight in. We are talking about losing blubber that does pretty much nothing for you. Good luck and give us an update in a couple of weeks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Triple digit golfer's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Triple digit golfer

randomguy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:44 pm

You got 15-20lbs til your skinny unless you are really muscular. More if your rounding up your height:) And I never heard of anyone not wanting to be able to see their abs:) Seriously though do some workouts with 10 extra lbs to see what the effect of excess weight is. It is real easy to figure out how to lose 10lbs. That is simple napkin math. Strength gains (i.e. upping your max by 10lbs) are much harder to control. Those are more you get what you get. You put in the work but the benefit you gain tends to be very individualistic. You might not need to lose the weight but it is one of the performance levers that you can manipulate. The thing is that you do need to plan ahead. We aren't talking about dehyrdating yourself for some weight in. We are talking about losing blubber that does pretty much nothing for you. Good luck and give us an update in a couple of weeks.
I'm a pro at losing weight. I have my maintenance calories dialed in. I may drop 5-7 pounds but I really don't want to lose more than that. I like the way I look and feel now at 154-155. I am not super muscular and I can see some abs for sure. Not an 8 pack or anything. In the morning it's 4!

I think I can get to 30 without losing any weight, so losing 5-7 I think makes it a sure thing.
steve_LNU

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by steve_LNU »

I'd suggest you read a book by Pavel Tsatsouline called, Grease the Groove, or just read this: https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles ... he-groove/. The basic premise is to treat chin-ups like a skill, a game. Do them every day, multiple times a day - but never go to failure in any of your daily sets. Stop before failure - that's the key. Just do chin-ups, and no other exercises - this is just to get you to the 30 you want to hit. He offers one suggestion of putting a pull-up bar in your kitchen - every time you go in or leave the kitchen, you'll do chin-ups. Again, never go to failure. Once you're successful with your bet, get back to other exercises.
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:20 pm [Thread merge into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

I will be doing chin-ups on July 1. Classic, palms facing me chin-ups.

I recommend weighted pull-ups throughout the day, like a weighted grease-the-groove.

Back in school, any time I walked by a pull-up bar (i.e., ROTC building or gym) I would do as many pull-ups as I could with my backpack on and whatever stuff I had inside of it — not to extreme exhaustion, but just till it was pretty hard. I didn’t want to burn out. Then I would do half as many chin-ups. This was a greasing-the-groove well before I had ever heard of the term. And it was with variable weights every day, but usually a few books and a bottle of water.

I didn’t realize how “good” at pull-ups I had become until a few months later when I did a pull-up without a backpack on and almost pulled myself over the bar.

The next semester I had a friendly pull-up competition with someone and I stopped a few after 30.

I’ve since kept up the (weighted) pull-ups whenever I see a pull-up bar (and have a backpack on).