Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Discussions about the forum and contents
cheese_breath

Re: Is there an "upvote" feature in the forums?

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't think that button exists.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:45 pm I don't think that button exists.
It would be nice to have an upvote button to the right of the report and quote button.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

ronno2018 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:55 pm
It would be nice to have an upvote button to the right of the report and quote button.
Did you use the search box with the word "upvote"? Their are a number of threads for which answers have already been supplied. The answer is no and will always be no per site rules by those that run and maintain the site.

Cheers
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ronno2018 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:44 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 pm To support someone, quote the post and reply +1
+1 but I just want a button to click -- easy peasy.
And of course you want a downvote button too. Really, is it that difficult to type +1 ?
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 pm To support someone, quote the post and reply +1
And of course you want a downvote button too. Really, is it that difficult to type +1 ?
-1 I like to focus on the positive, so no downvote button allowed. :D
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:58 pm
Did you use the search box with the word "upvote"? Their are a number of threads for which answers have already been supplied. The answer is no and will always be no per site rules by those that run and maintain the site.

Cheers
Okay, there must be a way to write a script to do a plus1quote. Thanks.

I swear I did a site search before asking this question...
CABob

Post by CABob »

And I am glad that it doesn't exist.
Bob
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

CABob wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:10 pm
And I am glad that it doesn't exist.
+100,000,000,000
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

ronno2018 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:07 pm
if there's an upvote (+1) and a downvote (-1), if I say "meh", is that a sideways vote (0)?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
FireAway

Post by FireAway »

+1
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

ronno2018 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:08 pm
Silk McCue wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:58 pm

Cheers
Okay, there must be a way to write a script to do a plus1quote....
And who do you expect to write this script? And what comes next, reports of persons with the most up votes? How about sort and selection options too. :P :P
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:14 pm
if there's an upvote (+1) and a downvote (-1), if I say "meh", is that a sideways vote (0)?
There will be a 9-point scale so you can vote 5.
Eric

Post by Eric »

My understanding is that the admins want to run a clean, unmodified version of the forum software to avoid having to spend even more time on maintenance than they do.

But in an ideal world where changes required no effort, I'd agree with the upvote idea. Or rather, I like upvotes better than +1s (which take up space in threads), so if I had a choice between the two I would choose upvotes.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:34 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:14 pm

There will be a 9-point scale so you can vote 5.
Needs to be 11 point. I've read a lot of reviews online that start "I wish I could have given them a zero..." Also, if i really like something I want to give it a 10, not a 9.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Eric wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 pm My understanding is that the admins want to run a clean, unmodified version of the forum software to avoid having to spend even more time on maintenance than they do.

But in an ideal world where changes required no effort, I'd agree with the upvote idea. Or rather, I like upvotes better than +1s (which take up space in threads), so if I had a choice between the two I would choose upvotes.
Actually this is the reason provided by Alex Frakt - Founder
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm It's not going to happen here. I participate in many forums that allow different forms of voting and there are two issues that can not be overcome. The first is that these things are too easily gamed. It's quite common for certain posters or topics to get automatic up or downvotes, regardless of the quality of a particular post. Worse, it also changes the character of the conversation as posters start pandering for up-votes or avoiding posting after a downvote. For most posters, this happens subconsciously, but it absolutely does happen.
viewtopic.php?p=1640278#p1640278 [link fixed by admin LadyGeek (was broken after thread merge)]

Cheers
warner25

Post by warner25 »

I wish that people didn't quote entire posts to say "+1." In general, I think that the quote feature is overused, like when the first reply to a thread quotes the entire original post. Sometimes the Nth reply includes nested quotes of all N previous posts. It hurts readability. I think proper etiquette should be to quote just a relevant snippet with ellipses on both ends, just enough so that people get notifications and everyone else can understand the context of the reply. I also wouldn't care to see a like or upvote button.
Last edited by warner25 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

OP,

I don't believe that it's a technical issue.

An "upvote" feature would change the nature of the discourse of this forum.

The site owners have decided (correctly, in my opinion) that such a change would not serve the purpose of this forum.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

FireAway wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:20 pm
+1
+1
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 pm And of course you want a downvote button too. Really, is it that difficult to type +1 ?
-1 for negativity
Elric

Post by Elric »

Silence Dogood wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:55 pm OP,

I don't believe that it's a technical issue.

An "upvote" feature would change the nature of the discourse of this forum.

The site owners have decided (correctly, in my opinion) that such a change would not serve the purpose of this forum.
In my opinion, it does not necessarily negative change the nature of the board and would serve a purpose, but as Silence Dogood says, the owner/operators and many participants are against it. Since silence can be taken to be consent, I wanted to express my voice in support of adding it.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

vectorizer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:58 pm
tibbitts wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 pm And of course you want a downvote button too. Really, is it that difficult to type +1 ?
-1 for negativity
If it's better to go into detail why you didn't like a post, why isn't it better to go into detail why you liked a post as well?
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

ronno2018 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:40 pm I am not seeing that option. Often I quote someone and reply but sometimes I just want to agree/support. Am I missing that ability? THANKS!
No.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I like the fact this forum has minimal features. It's very "clean". Less likely to detract from the overall goal, financial help & knowledge. I want very frequent to upvote, "like" many posts I see here. But that's not the purpose of this board, as I understand it.

And then I think who benefits from the upvote? Shouldn't be the authors. There are many other places one could seek validation or praise. Even other financial forums. To help others find quality posts? Nice in theory, but wouldn't work in the long run, as many "funny" or "timely" posts with little content/contribution would get more upvotes than quality posts.

Again, I would like to be able to like & upvote. But that's not beneficial in the long term.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged ronno2018's thread into the ongoing discussion - started in 2012, merged with a 2013 thread, bumped since 2019.

As noted earlier, the site owner's answer is No: Subject: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm It's not going to happen here. I participate in many forums that allow different forms of voting and there are two issues that can not be overcome. The first is that these things are too easily gamed. It's quite common for certain posters or topics to get automatic up or downvotes, regardless of the quality of a particular post. Worse, it also changes the character of the conversation as posters start pandering for up-votes or avoiding posting after a downvote. For most posters, this happens subconsciously, but it absolutely does happen.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

VictoriaF wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:15 am
chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:
gkaplan wrote:[...(Count me as one not wanting a "like" button. This is an investing forum, not a social forum.)
+1
+2.
As this a financial forum you should reply with +$, +$$, etc., rather than +1, +2 ...

Victoria
But there are also folks from non-US regions on this forum. :-)

Anakin
galeno

Post by galeno »

No! Terrible idea. Please no!
KISS & STC.
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

gkaplan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:13 pm Just use part of the quote and use ellipses for the missing test.
I wish more people would do this. I very much dislike how there are posts with many quotes from different posters in them. It's unnecessary.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I participate completely different forum that has "upvoting" and "downvoting."

It's total poison.

What does not happen is for people to place good-faith, thoughtful upvotes and downvotes that are actually useful to other forum members.

People play games with it. People divide into cliques and factions and play upvote/downvote wars. If a thread gets a certain number of downvotes it becomes invisible, and there are a fair number of trollish people who simply downvote a lot of things, either because they dislike someone (it's an international forum with a noticeable number of people who like to downvote US posters, for example) or just for the disruptive, anarchic, vandalistic joy of it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:50 pm I participate completely different forum that has "upvoting" and "downvoting."

It's total poison.

What does not happen is for people to place good-faith, thoughtful upvotes and downvotes that are actually useful to other forum members.

People play games with it. People divide into cliques and factions and play upvote/downvote wars. If a thread gets a certain number of downvotes it becomes invisible, and there are a fair number of trollish people who simply downvote a lot of things, either because they dislike someone (it's an international forum with a noticeable number of people who like to downvote US posters, for example) or just for the disruptive, anarchic, vandalistic joy of it.
This.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
matthewbarnhart

Post by matthewbarnhart »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:50 pm I participate completely different forum that has "upvoting" and "downvoting."

It's total poison.
100% agreement.

Related: I really appreciate this forum's generally thoughtful and thorough moderation. (And I say that as someone is definitely not apolitical in real life.) There's a busy forum for a piece of software I use, and I frequently have to take breaks from reading it because it is so often overrun by R*dd*t-like, off-topic nonsense.

One feature I would love to see is the ability to "follow" certain members. I have bookmarks saved to show the latest posts from a few members whose posts I get a lot out of, but a single landing page for this would be very handy.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

M.Lee wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:36 pm
gkaplan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:13 pm Just use part of the quote and use ellipses for the missing test.
I wish more people would do this. I very much dislike how there are posts with many quotes from different posters in them. It's unnecessary.
Part of it is that people don’t know how to do this. I didn’t until LadyGeek taught me (along with a lot of other people). Previously I would just hit the quote “ symbol in the previous post and add my meaningful 🙂 text at the bottom, I thought that was the only way to quote anyone when adding a post. And then to try to delete all the stacked text to pick out just what I was replying to was too much effort. I did this for years.

But thanks to LadyGeek I learned to properly use the [Post Reply] button at the bottom of the thread, and then scroll up or down to find the post I was replying to, highlight the relevant text, and then hit the quote symbol to reply.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 am Part of it is that people don’t know how to do this. I didn’t until LadyGeek taught me (along with a lot of other people). Previously I would just hit the quote “ symbol in the previous post and add my meaningful text at the bottom, I thought that was the only way to quote anyone when adding a post. And then to try to delete all the stacked text to pick out just what I was replying to was too much effort. I did this for years.

But thanks to LadyGeek I learned to properly use the [Post Reply] button at the bottom of the thread, and then scroll up or down to find the post I was replying to, highlight the relevant text, and then hit the quote symbol to reply.
I usually hit the quote symbol and then just trim down what I need. Much easier sometime with a mouse on a PC rather than on iPhone or iPad when there is a lot of nested quotes.

Thanks to your post I now know of this superior/cleaner way to do so. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Carol88888

Use of like, dislike icon on posts

Post by Carol88888 »

[Merged into existing discussion -- mod oldcomputerguy]

I wonder if this board would consider using a thumbs up, thumbs down icon that viewer could click on to show support or disapproval of a post.

It works very well on other boards such as marketwatch.com and seekingalpha.com

It is a lot easier than quoting someone's post and replying to it.
Nicolas

Re: Use of like, dislike icon on posts

Post by Nicolas »

This has been asked before and denied.
viewtopic.php?t=107329
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67605
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Carol88888 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:32 pm I wonder if this board would consider using a thumbs up, thumbs down icon that viewer could click on to show support or disapproval of a post.

It works very well on other boards such as marketwatch.com and seekingalpha.com

It is a lot easier than quoting someone's post and replying to it.
+1 :P
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

These like/dislikes are a well-known problem in social media like this forum. People start to make posts just to gather more likes and followers. I do not think it belongs here.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

livesoft wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:39 pm These like/dislikes are a well-known problem in social media like this forum. People start to make posts just to gather more likes and followers. I do not think it belongs here.
:thumbsup
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

I find it interesting that no one ever seems to be able to identify the problem that a like button purports to solve. At least the OP tried but I don't understand the reasoning.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

I think that would create animosity and reduce the intelligent conversation. It’s not a popularity contest. I believe that the format and rules of this forum lend itself to a much better level of interaction than the usual divisive social media.
Last edited by Ferdinand2014 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
Godot

Post by Godot »

livesoft wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:39 pm These like/dislikes are a well-known problem in social media like this forum. People start to make posts just to gather more likes and followers. I do not think it belongs here.
+100
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

viewtopic.php?p=5311848#p5311848

Alex Frakt, the site's owner, says no.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

One significant strength of Bogleheads is the varied perspectives and opinions that are offered here, most of which hopefully guide one towards decisions which reflect the wisdom of Jack Bogle. Whether you "like" or "dislike" a particular post adds nothing to the discussion. A post which may be "unpopular" if Bogleheads morphed into something resembling a social media platform may be the wisest response. Additionally, such as feature would likely reduce the quality of the conversation as there would be no expectation that one's response would be informative, well-reasoned, thought-provoking and/or supported by data. Just a click to express your opinion in a symbol. No thanks!

And considering that this forum appears to be drawing more posters who prefer market timing, invest in single stocks, precious metals or cryptocurrencies and engage in other investing or personal finance behavior which eschews the Bogleheads investing strategy, it wouldn't take long before posts which provide investing advice "inspired by Jack Bogle" are disliked by some of those "non-believers" or non-practitioners who at some point may become the majority here! :shock:

Unless someone has something productive to add to the discussion (or a compulsion to reply even when they have nothing to contribute to the matter at hand), they can simply refrain from replying. Those that are making decisions or looking at the issue discussed can make their own informed decision without counting the "likes" or "disllkes" or tallying those who quote a post merely to agree with it.

:sharebeer
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

pennstater2005 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:23 pm Please no like button. I'm not 12.
I wish there was a Like button for this post.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

An artificial construct of approval, self esteem, or shaming, or shunning, is (insert synonyms for silly, immature, odious, wasted, etc).

There is already a rating system and "Livesoft" dominates. Nothing else is needed.

The forum structure reflects it's efficiency and "no nonsense" delivery of substantive and actionable information and advice, as well as the aversion of many to needless superficialities that distract from "making one's number", etc. :shock: :shock:

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 am But thanks to LadyGeek I learned to properly use the [Post Reply] button at the bottom of the thread, and then scroll up or down to find the post I was replying to, highlight the relevant text, and then hit the quote symbol to reply.
Thanks for the tip. It works!
Last edited by fsrph on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Eddiecaps1980

Post by Eddiecaps1980 »

ryuns wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:58 pm
Xanadu wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Please no like button. I'm not 12.
I'm not 12 either.
So no one's 12 then. Good to see so much agreement here. This would be a good use for a like button--everyone could agree that they're not 12.
Really like this comment
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Please do not add a "like" button.... this waters down the content. Respond with your words! I hate clicks and likes.... they add no value.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

whoever gathers the most "likes" in a month gets free Bitcoin
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I hate that.