SSN for Authorized User to Add to Credit Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Carno

SSN for Authorized User to Add to Credit Card

Post by Carno »

Can a holder of a credit card who is wishing to add an authorized user who is a new emigrant and has no Social Security Number add his own social security instead? To add a new authorized user generally the name and the social security is required.
rooms222

Re: SSN for Authorized User to Add to Credit Card

Post by rooms222 »

There are some threads on flyertalk that state that Amex will allow this if you talk to customer service and provide copies of documents such as a passport.
Topic Author
Carno

Post by Carno »

rooms222 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:21 pm There are some threads on flyertalk that state that Amex will allow this if you talk to customer service and provide copies of documents such as a passport.
This is USBank and the process is done online. There are 2 fields, one for name of the authorized user and the other for their SSN. I wonder if the CC holder's SSN can be entered in the field that asks for the authorized user SSN instead?
randybobandy

Post by randybobandy »

Carno wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:38 pm
rooms222 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:21 pm There are some threads on flyertalk that state that Amex will allow this if you talk to customer service and provide copies of documents such as a passport.
This is USBank and the process is done online. There are 2 fields, one for name of the authorized user and the other for their SSN. I wonder if the CC holder's SSN can be entered in the field that asks for the authorized user SSN instead?
Give it a try. Or talk to customer service.

--Randy Bo Bandy
Grammar and spelling matter. | Quoting the OP isn't a necessity.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

https://www.usbank.com/customer-service ... 69802.html
800-285-8585 or the number on the back of your card
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Try it.

It might work initially.

But there might be a separate process that runs on batches and flags it as an error.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

Carno wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:38 pm I wonder if the CC holder's SSN can be entered in the field that asks for the authorized user SSN instead?
What would be the point then? It won't help build their credit because if they don't have a SSN, they don't have a credit file.
Topic Author
Carno

Post by Carno »

TropikThunder wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:26 am
Carno wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:38 pm I wonder if the CC holder's SSN can be entered in the field that asks for the authorized user SSN instead?
What would be the point then? It won't help build their credit because if they don't have a SSN, they don't have a credit file.
The primary purpose is not building credit but the convenience of using a credit card.
Topic Author
Carno

Post by Carno »

exodusNH wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:15 am
Try it.

It might work initially.

But there might be a separate process that runs on batches and flags it as an error.
I have considered this but at the same time I'm wary of causing potential issues with my own credit card (getting my own card flagged or closed, etc.).
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

Carno wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:04 am
TropikThunder wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:26 am
The primary purpose is not building credit but the convenience of using a credit card.
Citibank does not require an SSN to issue authorized user cards. I ordered an AU card for my Mom who is not a US citizen nor resident. She never used it beyond a test purchase or two, in India. It works.

You should apply for a Citibank card. Citi Premier, perhaps.

If you are reluctant to apply for a new card, not sure you accomplish what you are seeking with your US Bank card.