Free/low-cost self-hosted/cloud tool to manage small company (non US) profit and loss statement?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
pppez80

Free/low-cost self-hosted/cloud tool to manage small company (non US) profit and loss statement?

Post by pppez80 »

Starting a new corporation and with that P&L balance and without having a CPA on ongoing payroll want to do a much better job at managing my P&L.

Currently have done bookkeeping with a combination of CSV bank statement exports and then a manual Perl-based parser to categorize and prepare for taxes. This process has worked fairly well because there are several international accounts that need to be considered that would not be supported by something like a Mint.

What I am looking for in the tool:

— API integration with Plaid / common US bank / Airwallex
— Ability to ingest custom CSV exports from international banks
— Ability to issue and track invoices; doing that manually today
— Ability to manage receipts for expenses
— Mobile app support
— Ability to track both a personal and corporate balance would be great
— Assistance in compiling a standard profit and loss statement at year end; jurisdiction is outside of the US (offshore)_ and while there is a bookkeeping need there is no reporting need
— Some degree of reporting and visualization of spending trends (low priority)
— Some AI/NLP features that help with classification; I travel a lot so a lot of weird characters and non-sensical purchase names coming in that I would want to be able to build a rule set around to capture reoccurrences
— Open-source would be great but not required; similar self-hosting is an option if it allows for a powerful but cheaper solution

I have looked at:
https://bigcapital.ly/ — looks promising but seem in its early phase so maybe not super mature
https://moneydance.com/ — seems only work for personal
MP123

Re: Free/low-cost self-hosted/cloud tool to manage small company (non US) profit and loss statement?

Post by MP123 »

Have you looked at Quickbooks?

While I'm not a fan of their subscription model it is pretty much the standard for DIY business accounting.

It's not free, particularly low-cost, open-source, or self hosted (although there is a cloud version), but it might be worth a look.

It meets most, if not all, of your other requirements.
Topic Author
pppez80

Re: Free/low-cost self-hosted/cloud tool to manage small company (non US) profit and loss statement?

Post by pppez80 »

Thanks for the input; yep have looked at it and naturally fits a lot of the criteria. Would love something less mainstream, less US centric and more affordable if it exists.
IcedTea

Post by IcedTea »

Used Xero for a few years. Comparing to alternatives I had to use, it's way way better.