Xfinity’s policy in upgrading equipment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Xfinity’s policy in upgrading equipment

Post by gavinsiu »

How does xfinity handle upgrades when the customer rent the equipment. Do you normally get a notice that you are due for an upgrade? Can you request the upgrade?

I noticed that xfinity now offers the xFi gateway but the installed router is a cisco dpc3941.

Update
* A bit more detail, the xfinity comes with the HOA so the rental is included in the HOA, so there is no cost saving in not renting.
* I wasn't sure at the time, but I verified that cisco dpc3941 is now obsolete. While it works well, my concern is that it is not getting security updates.
Last edited by gavinsiu on Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
nalor511

Re: Xfinity’s policy in upgrading equipment

Post by nalor511 »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:04 am How does xfinity handle upgrades when the customer rent the equipment. Do you normally get a notice that you are due for an upgrade? Can you request the upgrade?

I noticed that xfinity now offers the xFi gateway but the installed router is a cisco dpc3941.
They have live chat... Ask?
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

As an alternative, you can be in control and buy your own. Calculate your annual modem rental cost, and compare to buying. IE, charging $15 monthly for a modem rental, that superior performance can be bought for < $150 (IE Motorola MB8600 is very good).

On the WiFi side, that's a personal preference, not sure what the rental for gateway is, is it the same cost?, maybe someone can chime in. I bought a fairly expensive EERO gen 1 system 7 years ago for $500 to solve continuous issues from various higher end single device WIFI routers we've cycled through years prior (ASUS, Netgear..etc). For me, paying $500 to not have the kids nagging about WIFI issues, which completely went away with the EERO, was worth it. There's other new mesh products in the market now to look at as well (Google, Netgear..etc).

I think you may find you come out ahead, cost savings wise, in the end purchasing yourself, but it can take some technical expertise to set all this up, and you have to cover replacement if it breaks, so take that into account.
student

Post by student »

I would think so. Otherwise, what is stopping you from returning the equipment saying that you are going to use your own. Then next day decide to rent again.

Edit: After reading another post, I realized that stopping and starting that I mentioned above may incur activation fee.
Last edited by student on Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Xfinity’s upgrade policy seems to change depending on which agent you draw when you ask. When I upgraded my mom’s tv boxes from sd to hd, the cost varied from $10/mo to free and back. I went in to the store with a printout of the chat and the free was honored.

I’d go with a chat to ask rather than phone or in person so there is a record when you get the answer you like. If one agent gives you an answer you don’t like, wait a few days, change the question a bit and try again.
Last edited by BuddyJet on Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
student

Post by student »

BuddyJet wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:39 am Xfinity’s upgrade policy seems to change depending on which agent you draw when you ask. When I upgraded my mom’s tv boxes from sd to hd, the cost varied from $10/mo to free and back. I went in to the store with a printout of the chat and the free was honored.

I’d go with a chat to ask rather than phone or in person so there is a record when you get the answer you like.
Oh right. They probably want "activation fee."
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

You'll never see this written down but they have your address in a database and they know if you have other broadband options. If you are at a location where you can switch to FiOS or AT&T, they will do whatever they can to make sure your broadband is working as best as possible....which includes making sure your equipment provided by them is the latest and greatest....
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

cableguy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:29 am You'll never see this written down but they have your address in a database and they know if you have other broadband options. If you are at a location where you can switch to FiOS or AT&T, they will do whatever they can to make sure your broadband is working as best as possible....which includes making sure your equipment provided by them is the latest and greatest....
They are truly the Evil Empire.

(Cue: Darth Vader music.)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

The main concern is that the modem is a Cisco DPC3914. On the Cisco website, it's listed as end of life several years ago. If it's not getting security updates, then it's probably not safe.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:27 am The main concern is that the modem is a Cisco DPC3914. On the Cisco website, it's listed as end of life several years ago. If it's not getting security updates, then it's probably not safe.
I’d probably lead the Xfinity chat with wanting Wi-Fi 6 and not mention security if possible.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
student

Post by student »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:27 am The main concern is that the modem is a Cisco DPC3914. On the Cisco website, it's listed as end of life several years ago. If it's not getting security updates, then it's probably not safe.
Definitely "complain." A few months ago, my xfinity tv box was not functionally properly, I called and got a new one.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Check with your HOA to see if they fall under the "bulk sales" department. (My CCRC supplies basic Comcast and this is the department we contact for help. You might also want to suggest to the HOA to renegotiate their deal. Our new ED negotiated a fantastic deal that upgraded almost everything with higher speeds and a cheaper rate)
We have a special phone number at Comcast for our bulk sales rep and I get fantastic service texting the rep. You can also attempt to call another number at Comcast in bulk sales but that's not much better than the usual Comcast runaround.
If you don't fall under the bulk sales department, keep calling or chatting until you get a rep who will agree to upgrade your modem. Some folks recommend going to the local office but I've never done that. As I recall there is some place on the Xfinity website which will give info on current modems they are using and replacing but don't have a link.
Good luck!
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Is this link helpful to you?
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/upgrade-modem

Try googling around for more information if it doesn't.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

i finally reached Xfinity. They claim that modems that are rented will continue to receive firmware update even if they have end of life. I did check the firmware which shows firmware PC3941_4.12p29s1_PROD_sey, but can't get information of when the router was updated or how old firmware is.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I had a followup chat with Comcast and can't figure out what they are saying. I asked how I can tell if there is a firmware update, but is told that the modem never gets firmware updates but instead something call Boot file is updated which improves the stability of connection but does not affect security. The tech said the router never get security updates (!?). The rep indicates that there is no record of updates of any kind so you just have to trust Comcast. Of course during the call, the tech then notices that the boot file is out of date and want to push a new one, which makes me not trust comcast because I wonder if it would have been pushed if I didn't contact them.

In any case, the rep indicated that Comcast recommended that the modem be updated every 3 years. The modem was installed in 2016, so it is grossly out of date. I had them set up a ticket to exchange the modem. Basically, the rep puts a note in the account and we have to go to a Comcast location and exchange the modem. The tech will delete the old modem and add the new modem and it should just work when we plug it in. I am not sure it will be that seamless, but we shall see.

The rep said there will be no activation fee as long as it is exchanged after the 3 years mark.

While I was at it, I also had them replace the router mostly because my mom complaint about how slow it was. Apparently, it also has the same 3 year mark.

Anyone know if there are security issues with Comcast recent routers?
Last edited by gavinsiu on Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
student

Post by student »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:43 pm I had a followup chat with Comcast and can't figure out what they are saying. I asked how I can tell if there is a firmware update, but is told that the modem never gets firmware updates but instead something call Boot file is updated which improves the stability of connection but does not affect security. The tech said the router never get security updates (!?). The rep indicates that there is no record of updates of any kind so you just have to trust Comcast. Of course during the call, the tech then notices that the boot file is out of date and want to push a new one, which makes me not trust comcast because I wonder if it would have been pushed if I didn't contact them.

In any case, the rep indicated that Comcast recommended that the modem be updated every 3 years. The modem was installed in 2016, so it is grossly out of date. I had them set up a ticket to exchange the modem. Basically, the rep puts a note in the account and we have to go to a Comcast location and exchange the modem. The tech will delete the old modem and add the new modem and it should just work when we plug it in. I am not sure it will be that seamless, but we shall see.

The rep said there will be no activation fee as long as it is exchanged after the 3 years mark.

Anyone know if there are security issues with Comcast recent routers?
Make sure you ask them to give you a receipt.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Don't ever become a hotspot and
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/home-route ... 19245.html

And... Google is your friend.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

student wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:56 pm Make sure you ask them to give you a receipt.
Thanks, I have logged my chat and will get a receipt and then check that the device is returned afterwards.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

nonnie wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:57 pm Don't ever become a hotspot and
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/home-route ... 19245.html

And... Google is your friend.
The article doesn't talk about hotspot. However, I was thinking that turning it on might be a problem where someone could be using the hotspot for nefarious purposes and the non-techy police would not be able to tell the difference.

The problem is that I had it turned off and it appears to have turn back on after an update.

I also can't seemed to turn off WPS on the dpc3914.
twh

Post by twh »

The "boot file" is just the configuration file that Comcast has sent to the cable modem. Having that updated is not related to the software or security of the cable modem.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

twh wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:32 pm The "boot file" is just the configuration file that Comcast has sent to the cable modem. Having that updated is not related to the software or security of the cable modem.
Thanks for the clarification, this mean the router gets no security update? Not good.
twh

Post by twh »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:37 pm
twh wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:32 pm The "boot file" is just the configuration file that Comcast has sent to the cable modem. Having that updated is not related to the software or security of the cable modem.
Thanks for the clarification, this mean the router gets no security update? Not good.
The phone support you get to know next to nothing -- certainly nothing like the questions you are asking.

Also, if you are not getting telephone service from Comcast via the cable modem, you can use just about any cable modem you want. I would think with a few more calls you could get someone to send a new one. Or, just buy one on Amazon. You might want to check the Comcast modem compatibility page first. Even if it isn't listed it will likely work, but best to have a compatible one in case something comes up and you need tech support and the last thing you want to hear is "it isn't on our compatible list".
Yuen

Post by Yuen »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:29 pm The article doesn't talk about hotspot. However, I was thinking that turning it on might be a problem where someone could be using the hotspot for nefarious purposes and the non-techy police would not be able to tell the difference.
If you trust comcast, they claim leaving the xfinity hotspot enabled does not put you at risk because it requires a comcast account to authenticate so comcast knows who you are if you do anything malicious, and it doesn't use your allocated bandwidth/data cap quota - https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... i-hotspots

if you don't trust comcast (and who does?) just disable it in your account.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Yuen wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:53 am If you trust comcast, they claim leaving the xfinity hotspot enabled does not put you at risk because it requires a comcast account to authenticate so comcast knows who you are if you do anything malicious, and it doesn't use your allocated bandwidth/data cap quota - https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... i-hotspots

Even if they are on the level, I feel that some tech might might make a mistake and finger the wrong person. The hotspot thief could be using a hacked comcast account. The problem is that I disabled it years ago and it appears to be back on.
twh

Post by twh »

gavinsiu wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:00 am
Yuen wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:53 am If you trust comcast, they claim leaving the xfinity hotspot enabled does not put you at risk because it requires a comcast account to authenticate so comcast knows who you are if you do anything malicious, and it doesn't use your allocated bandwidth/data cap quota - https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... i-hotspots

Even if they are on the level, I feel that some tech might might make a mistake and finger the wrong person. The hotspot thief could be using a hacked comcast account. The problem is that I disabled it years ago and it appears to be back on.
Turn hotspot off for sure. There is no reason that needs to be on. If you want a guest network with an easy password, that's fine.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

gavinsiu wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:00 pm i finally reached Xfinity. They claim that modems that are rented will continue to receive firmware update even if they have end of life. I did check the firmware which shows firmware PC3941_4.12p29s1_PROD_sey, but can't get information of when the router was updated or how old firmware is.
That firmware is from 12/2022 so it looks like you are still getting updates.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Nummerkins wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:40 am That firmware is from 12/2022 so it looks like you are still getting updates.
Thanks out of curiosity how did you check? I try looking up the firmware but nothing comes back?
Topic Author
gavinsiu

anyone know how to factory reset a xfinity XFI ADVANCED GATEWAY (XB6)

Post by gavinsiu »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I can't seem to log into the xfinity gateway at 10.0.0.1. When I enter the user name and password, it does not work. I tried entering the default user name and password of admin and password, but that doesn't work either. I then try resetting the modem by holding down the reset button for 30 second, but this only restart the modem and not reset anything. All of the wifi including the setting remain the same.

When I tried the comcast help pages, it said to login and then click on factory reset. Obviously I can't do that. All of the other pages are about reseting the modem, but I want a full factory reset where you have to re-enter the password.
gatorking

Re: anyone know how to factory reset a xfinity XFI ADVANCED GATEWAY (XB6)

Post by gatorking »

1. Try holding down the WPS button for ~1 minute.
2. Does your router have a reset button under the Co-ax cable?
Last edited by gatorking on Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

gavinsiu wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:29 pm I can't seem to log into the xfinity gateway at 10.0.0.1. When I enter the user name and password, it does not work. I tried entering the default user name and password of admin and password, but that doesn't work either. I then try resetting the modem by holding down the reset button for 30 second, but this only restart the modem and not reset anything. All of the wifi including the setting remain the same.

When I tried the comcast help pages, it said to login and then click on factory reset. Obviously I can't do that. All of the other pages are about reseting the modem, but I want a full factory reset where you have to re-enter the password.
Not sure which Xfinity gateway I have, but I can log into it on 10.0.0.1. Whenever I have an issue with their equipment, I find it easiest to take the equipment to the store and exchange it. Years ago I began referring to Comcast as Swapcast.

Good luck figuring it out, but my first troubleshooting step would be an exchange.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

So I finally figured it out after talking with 5 different Xfinity techs. Holding down the reset button was the right call. I simply did not hold it down enough.

The last tech indicated that the XB6 may require you to hold down the reset key as long as 3-5 minutes. I tried it out and held down the reset button. After 30 seconds, the led would change to yellow and start flashing. Don't stop holding the button down. At around 2:30, the led finally goes dark. After this, you should be able to release the reset and the router should be factory reset.

On another note, the password rule on the router is terrible. It's limited to 20 characters to just numbers and letters.

I thank you everyone for your help.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Comcast Xfinity App and security and spooky devices

Post by gavinsiu »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

It appears that Comcast has been moving everything into the Xfinity App. When I log into the Gateway at 10.0.0.1, I notice that many of the settings are no longer editable. To edit configuration, I have to go to the Xfinity App.

I have also been noticing weird devices on the network.
* A "misc device" type device keeps appearing on the 5Ghz. This is even after I change the passwords for both the modem and the wifi. The brand model and OS are all NA. I have no idea what it might be. I have pause the device and nothing else appears to be affected.
* When I go to Port forwarding, I see a SamsungE-E3CF. I have deleted the port forwarding entry multiple times, but it doesn't get deleted.

Should I be concern?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

gavinsiu - In order to provide appropriate advice, it's best to keep all the information in one spot. I merged your updates back into the original thread. If you have any questions, ask them here.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and explained what's wrong.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
K72

Post by K72 »

The 2.4GHz band on my Xfinity dual band modem/router dies frequently for several minutes, so I'm going to walk in with it under my arm and request a replacement. Chances are I'll get an upgrade because they likely won't have an more of the old ones laying around.
All we want are the facts...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

K72 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:36 am The 2.4GHz band on my Xfinity dual band modem/router dies frequently for several minutes, so I'm going to walk in with it under my arm and request a replacement. Chances are I'll get an upgrade because they likely won't have an more of the old ones laying around.
My experience with ISPs is that they are eager to upgrade since it helps them reduce tech support. When we had an issue on our street with multiple houses experiencing very brief (e.g. 30 second) outages they came in and swapped out all the amplifiers in the street boxes up and down the street since they were older and not as reliable with the signals they were pumping through their system.

In fact, today my neighbor is getting the amp replaced, the cable from the street to the house (300 feet, underground), the termination outside and his cable modem all replaced.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
tortoise84

Re: Comcast Xfinity App and security and spooky devices

Post by tortoise84 »

gavinsiu wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:42 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

It appears that Comcast has been moving everything into the Xfinity App. When I log into the Gateway at 10.0.0.1, I notice that many of the settings are no longer editable. To edit configuration, I have to go to the Xfinity App.

* A "misc device" type device keeps appearing on the 5Ghz. This is even after I change the passwords for both the modem and the wifi. The brand model and OS are all NA. I have no idea what it might be. I have pause the device and nothing else appears to be affected.
* When I go to Port forwarding, I see a SamsungE-E3CF. I have deleted the port forwarding entry multiple times, but it doesn't get deleted.

Should I be concern?
You may just have to do an inventory of all your wireless devices. I actually keep a spreadsheet of all of mine and their MAC addresses. There could be an odd smart device that you just forgot about like an Amazon Echo/Google Home/Nest, smart thermostat, smart HDTV, doorbell camera, smart power outlet, etc. I think if you use the WPS push button or PIN, then the device will still connect even if you change the password. There are also features from Amazon and Windows where they will store and automatically share your Wi-Fi password with your other devices.

For port forwarding, there's a thing called UPnP that allows devices to open and close ports by themselves.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

tortoise84 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:35 pm
gavinsiu wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:42 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Should I be concern?
You may just have to do an inventory of all your wireless devices. I actually keep a spreadsheet of all of mine and their MAC addresses. There could be an odd smart device that you just forgot about like an Amazon Echo/Google Home/Nest, smart thermostat, smart HDTV, doorbell camera, smart power outlet, etc. I think if you use the WPS push button or PIN, then the device will still connect even if you change the password. There are also features from Amazon and Windows where they will store and automatically share your Wi-Fi password with your other devices.

For port forwarding, there's a thing called UPnP that allows devices to open and close ports by themselves.
Some more modern devices actually have a feature which is called dynamic Mac address. It creates a fake one every time it connects, thus defeating any tracking by Mac address.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

samsoes wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:05 pm Some more modern devices actually have a feature which is called dynamic Mac address. It creates a fake one every time it connects, thus defeating any tracking by Mac address.
I think you hit it right on the nail. When I connect a new device to wifi, it generates a random Mac address and the device then shows up as "unknown" with no information. I think the modem eventually fills in the info but it takes a while. This may be because it's trying to access Comcast's database to identify the device.

If you pause the "unknown" device, the modem will lose name association with the device once the device name change and it becomes difficult to unpause. For example, let's say you connect a iphone 11 to the modem, it will show up as the random mac address as the name. If you pause the new device, it will prevent the iphone 11 from connecting to the internet. When the modem eventually identify the device and label it as iphone 11, it will show up as being not pause. Your iphone 11 won't be able to access the internet through the modem even if you pause and unpause. Even restarting won't fix the issue.

To fix, you need to disconnect wifi on the device and reconnect. When it shows up as a unknown device again, immediately unpause. You may have to disconnect wifi, reboot gateway and reconnect.

Now I need to figure out why I can't delete the port forwarding.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

OK, the issue isn't caused by the modem, but the iphone. The iphone by default generates a randomized Mac address for privacy, but that causes multiple entries to appear in the modem's connected device list (DHCP). This can be mistaken for a hacker attacked since you might start seeing other devices on your network.

I can't figure out the cause of the port forwarding. It seems to be forwarding a device that is no longer connected to the modem. The interface allow me to delete it, but it doesn't actually delete it. I attempted to delete the device, but now the port forwarding shows a "no device" in the port forwarding and now even the delete button is disabled. I made numerous attempt to reboot it and even factory reset it, but the entry is somehow restored. I think I will just have to live with it. The forum indicate that Comcast is unhelpful with this issue so I won't bother calling them. I suppose having non-existing device forwarding is probably not too much of a risk.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

One warning about switching from the old DPC3941 to the XB6. the number of ethernet drops to 2, so if you have more than 2 ethernet devices, you will need to get a hub.