Quicken 2019 and forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
teamDE

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by teamDE »

I must say, Quicken for Mac has really come a long way in the past few years. Every quarterly update has solid new features. It's very fast to update now, too. I'm glad its being prioritized.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

There are a few different ways that Quicken handles passwords that I am aware of:
  1. You type your password into Quicken each time you do a download. Quicken passes the password to the financial institution but does not save it. You have to type it in every time. I trust Quicken not to save my password if they say they are not.
  2. You type your password into Quicken and Quicken saves it in an encrypted vault either locally on your PC or in the cloud. You don’t need to re-enter it unless it changes in the future. There is a potential exposure if Quicken were hacked, although the passwords are encrypted.
  3. Quicken does a one time connection to the financial institution using the password you enter. A security token is created that is used for future connections. The password is not saved. The security token provides an additional layer of security so that your password is not exposed once the token is established.
I use a combination of 1 and 3. I don’t really want Quicken saving passwords so I don’t use option 2. This is sufficient security-wise from my perspective as none of my actual passwords are stored in Quicken.
Uncle Morris

Post by Uncle Morris »

Gryphon wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:00 am I don't think there's any increased security risk if you're using Web Connect, because you don't give your passwords to Quicken in that case. You just log into the bank's web site using your browser (which is something you'd be doing anyway to get monthly statements) and download a data file which you import into Quicken. However, not all institutions will provide a Quicken file for download, so this isn't always an option.

It's my understanding that if you turn off cloud syncing you can also use Direct Connect and keep your passwords local. While the Quicken app on your PC/Mac has your passwords, they are not uploaded to Quicken or Intuit; on the Mac they are stored in the keychain, I don't know how they are stored on Windows. So I feel like there's little risk in using that.

If you use Express Web Connect (aka Quicken Connect) then your passwords are getting uploaded to their cloud service so they can connect on your behalf; I believe this also happens if you turn on cloud syncing to use the Quicken app on a mobile device or the web. Quicken is starting to move to something called EWC+ which is supposed to be more secure than that because instead of keeping your password they get a security token from the bank that lets them access your information without knowing the password, but few banks are using that yet.
Thanks, Gryphon. For institutions that don't offer a Quicken file format for download, but, say, a CSV, is there a way to get that in?
Uncle Morris

Post by Uncle Morris »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:56 am
Uncle Morris wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 pm I've slogged through most of this thread (admittedly, not every post), and I'm unclear on how secure Quicken is. If I understand correctly, you can choose to manually download transactions from your financial institutions and then, on your PC or Mac, import them into Quicken.

Or you can choose to give Quicken your passwords, and it will connect to your accounts and download transactions.

If you only import manually, meaning that you do not give Quicken your passwords, then is it correct to say that there is no increased security risk? I ask in the post-LastPass breach era, which makes me wary of giving a third party any passwords (both for security reasons and because financial institutions may deem any resulting breach as authorized by you).

I used to use Mint, but deleted my account for these reasons.

Thanks.
AFAIK, Quicken has agreements with all the major financial institutions and likely pays them to connect using some standard and get the data. It is not like Quicken is fooling them pretending to be you.
Thanks, michaeljc70. It's not Quicken I'm worried about (ok, I'm paranoid, just not that paranoid). As a former LastPass user, I just want to limit the number of places that have my passwords, figuring that if a security company can bungle things like they did (yes, they were attacked, but they left key information unencrypted), then one can assume others will get breached as well.

It's interesting about Quicken's (and Mint's, and similar companies'...) relationship with the financial institutions. On the one hand, they create and use standards for connecting...but the financial institutions still say that it's on us, the consumers, if we've given third parties our passwords.
Uncle Morris

Post by Uncle Morris »

Kenkat wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 am There are a few different ways that Quicken handles passwords that I am aware of:
  1. You type your password into Quicken each time you do a download. Quicken passes the password to the financial institution but does not save it. You have to type it in every time. I trust Quicken not to save my password if they say they are not.
  2. You type your password into Quicken and Quicken saves it in an encrypted vault either locally on your PC or in the cloud. You don’t need to re-enter it unless it changes in the future. There is a potential exposure if Quicken were hacked, although the passwords are encrypted.
  3. Quicken does a one time connection to the financial institution using the password you enter. A security token is created that is used for future connections. The password is not saved. The security token provides an additional layer of security so that your password is not exposed once the token is established.
I use a combination of 1 and 3. I don’t really want Quicken saving passwords so I don’t use option 2. This is sufficient security-wise from my perspective as none of my actual passwords are stored in Quicken.
Thanks, Kenkat. Is there a link somewhere where Quicken spells all this out officially?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

teamDE wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:22 am I must say, Quicken for Mac has really come a long way in the past few years. Every quarterly update has solid new features. It's very fast to update now, too. I'm glad its being prioritized.
I don't use the Mac version, but what are all these new features? In Windows I feel like I have lost features over the years. Any new features are pretty useless. The bill fetching didn't work at all for me. They took away background downloading. They took away the investment view that showed returns over certain time periods and other info. They took away bill pay (maybe that was more the banks?) Most of the updates are bug fixes and minor tweaks. If you use the mobile/web, that is where I see the most improvements. It is costing me 3-5 times more than before (because I didn't upgrade every year), though the cost is nothing crazy. I keep using it because there are no great alternatives and I have 25+ years of data in Quicken, but......

Any time there is a new report it seems I need to pay more to get the "Premier" version to get it. The reporting hasn't changed much in 20 years.

Rant finished. :shock:
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

Uncle Morris wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:53 am Thanks, Gryphon. For institutions that don't offer a Quicken file format for download, but, say, a CSV, is there a way to get that in?
Quicken Mac will import a CSV file but only if it's formatted in a particular way. Even then, it won't import the transactions straight into your account, it will put them in a new account & you'll have to move them over.

I don't know what CSV importing options Quicken for Windows has.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:11 am
teamDE wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:22 am I must say, Quicken for Mac has really come a long way in the past few years. Every quarterly update has solid new features. It's very fast to update now, too. I'm glad its being prioritized.
I don't use the Mac version, but what are all these new features? In Windows I feel like I have lost features over the years. Any new features are pretty useless. The bill fetching didn't work at all for me. They took away background downloading. They took away the investment view that showed returns over certain time periods and other info. They took away bill pay (maybe that was more the banks?) Most of the updates are bug fixes and minor tweaks. If you use the mobile/web, that is where I see the most improvements. It is costing me 3-5 times more than before (because I didn't upgrade every year), though the cost is nothing crazy. I keep using it because there are no great alternatives and I have 25+ years of data in Quicken, but......
A few big banks (like Bank of America & Chase) have switched from Direct Connect to EWC+ and in the process dropped support for bill pay from within Quicken; the problem isn't the app, it's the banks.

As for the new features in Quicken Mac, you have to keep in mind that they basically started QMac over from scratch a little over a decade ago. While it's improving it still doesn't have all the features that QWin does.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Uncle Morris wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:01 am
Kenkat wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 am There are a few different ways that Quicken handles passwords that I am aware of:
Thanks, Kenkat. Is there a link somewhere where Quicken spells all this out officially?
Not directly that I have ever seen, but I did a little more digging around to see what was out there.

This explains the different connection methods Quicken can use:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-qui ... -your-bank

1 and 2 above are using Direct Connect; the following describes the Password Vault which I choose not to use (I just enter them every time):

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage ... Id=3216236

3 above is using Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect+. How this works starts to be technical, but here are a couple of links:

https://www.quicken.com/support/why-don ... ad-my-bank
https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... eb-connect (+)

Quicken is a little vague about the exact details (understandably) but based on working in this field prior to retiring recently and what I read, Express Web Connect / Express Web Connect+ is taking your bank credentials, turning it into an encrypted value that the bank understands and storing that. Then when you do an update, it sends this encrypted value (aka token) and says “hey bank, it’s me, Quicken” (which is controlled via various means like IP addresses and certificates) and “here is who I want to get information for” (passing the token associated with you and any certificate along to identify you).

I haven’t dug this deep into the mechanics and terminology involved (I mainly knew the basics of how it worked from a user perspective) so learned a bit here myself. :D
Uncle Morris

Post by Uncle Morris »

Kenkat wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:15 pm
Uncle Morris wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:01 am
Not directly that I have ever seen, but I did a little more digging around to see what was out there.

This explains the different connection methods Quicken can use:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-qui ... -your-bank

1 and 2 above are using Direct Connect; the following describes the Password Vault which I choose not to use (I just enter them every time):

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage ... Id=3216236

3 above is using Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect+. How this works starts to be technical, but here are a couple of links:

https://www.quicken.com/support/why-don ... ad-my-bank
https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... eb-connect (+)

Quicken is a little vague about the exact details (understandably) but based on working in this field prior to retiring recently and what I read, Express Web Connect / Express Web Connect+ is taking your bank credentials, turning it into an encrypted value that the bank understands and storing that. Then when you do an update, it sends this encrypted value (aka token) and says “hey bank, it’s me, Quicken” (which is controlled via various means like IP addresses and certificates) and “here is who I want to get information for” (passing the token associated with you and any certificate along to identify you).

I haven’t dug this deep into the mechanics and terminology involved (I mainly knew the basics of how it worked from a user perspective) so learned a bit here myself. :D
Kenkat, thank you!
Meantime, I've checked with all my institutions, and almost all will let me manually download a file for Quicken, so I think that is what I will do. My brokerage (which allows CSV downloads) ironically has detailed instructions on how to connect Quicken to one's account - and a disclaimer on the security page saying that if you do that, you're on the hook for any breach. To quote the policeman in Casablanca, I'm shocked. :D
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Uncle Morris wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 pm... Or you can choose to give Quicken your passwords, and it will connect to your accounts and download transactions. ...
It's debatable whether you're actually giving Quicken your passwords. That may be true for Express Web Connect, but not for Express Web Connect Plus, or Direct Connect. I believe the summary below to be accurate but corrections or clarifications by others are welcome.

With Direct Connect, your passwords are supposedly stored only in your Quicken file, not online. Your copy of Quicken securely connects directly to a server operated by your bank. Yes, it's a black box, but that's my understanding of the process.

With Express Web Connect Plus, your data ARE stored and manipulated by Quicken or their third-party service provider, but they don't have your login information. Their connection is read-only and restricted to whatever they and the bank explicitly agree to. Their access is established by YOU logging in through a secure window, during the enrollment process. Once you tell the bank what's okay to share, they provide a unique token to the intermediary service. When you download data, the intermediary is getting the information from the bank, on your behalf, and are explicitly identified as themselves, not as you.

With Express Web Connect, your password is stored on Quicken's servers or that of their intermediary service provider. Their connection to your bank is not recognized by the bank as not being you. The service provider's system follows a script to walk through the bank's web pages in the background and copy your bank information.

Express Web Connect Plus has largely replaced Express Web Connect, and also Direct Connect for many banks. In my experience, investment banks are sticking with Direct Connect.

Whether or not you find any of the above approaches acceptable is a personal decision. You will read differing opinions here.
Last edited by spammagnet on Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Morris

Post by Uncle Morris »

Thank you, spammagnet!
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Yes, among stock brokerages, Fidelity (including NetBenefits), TD Ameritrade, and Wells Fargo Advisors are all Direct Connect, at least for me. Charles Schwab recently (and sometimes painfully) moved Quicken users to Express Web Connect+.

For my credit cards, Chase, Capital One and BofA are now Express Web Connect+. Wells Fargo and Citi are Express Web Connect. American Express is Direct Connect.

For banks (including high yield savings), the same methods as credit cards are used for my American Express, Wells Fargo, and Chase accounts. Barclays is Express Web Connect.

I download 15 accounts with a touch of a button; I would have to go to at least 8 different websites to download each one individually. That's not going to happen - well maybe when I'm retired and have a lot of extra time. :wink: I'm personally comfortable with the access security of the downloads, and the daily downloads actually make feel better about security overall, as I can quickly see transactions in my credit card accounts and ensure they are valid. I can appreciate other views, though, and to each his or her own.
spammagnet wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:32 pm
Express Web Connect Plus has largely replaced Express Web Connect, and also Direct Connect for many banks. In my experience, investment banks are sticking with Direct Connect.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

CardinalRule wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:45 pm Yes, among stock brokerages, Fidelity (including NetBenefits), TD Ameritrade, and Wells Fargo Advisors are all Direct Connect, at least for me. Charles Schwab recently (and sometimes painfully) moved Quicken users to Express Web Connect+.

For my credit cards, Chase, Capital One and BofA are now Express Web Connect+. Wells Fargo and Citi are Express Web Connect. American Express is Direct Connect.

For banks (including high yield savings), the same methods as credit cards are used for my American Express, Wells Fargo, and Chase accounts. Barclays is Express Web Connect.

I download 15 accounts with a touch of a button; I would have to go to at least 8 different websites to download each one individually. That's not going to happen - well maybe when I'm retired and have a lot of extra time. :wink: I'm personally comfortable with the access security of the downloads, and the daily downloads actually make feel better about security overall, as I can quickly see transactions in my credit card accounts and ensure they are valid. I can appreciate other views, though, and to each his or her own.
spammagnet wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:32 pm

This. If I had to go to each website and download and import a file maybe I would do that once or twice a month.

Personally, I am not reckless but I just don't worry that much about my usernames/passwords and things like that. With all the data breaches at credit bureaus, banks, etc. that seems like the most likely point of failure if you exercise reasonable caution (like avoiding phishing scams). I've had credit card fraud and it had nothing to do with my usernames or passwords.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

CardinalRule wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:45 pm... I download 15 accounts with a touch of a button; I would have to go to at least 8 different websites to download each one individually. That's not going to happen - well maybe when I'm retired and have a lot of extra time. :wink: ...
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:56 pm This. If I had to go to each website and download and import a file maybe I would do that once or twice a month. ...
I share your views and approaches but not everyone does. Despite being retired (or perhaps because I'm retired?) I'm unwilling to expend more effort in the interest of some perceived security. I sleep well at night.

My intent was to provide factual information with which the OP can make their own decisions on the matter. If they choose a different approach it's not my place to judge what makes them sleep better.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I just wanted to post a cautionary tale. 3 months of my most used credit card transactions are missing in Quicken. It also says I don't have connectivity setup and it has never been used. That is incorrect as I download transactions almost everyday.

I have over 100 backups going back 14 months and NONE of them have the missing data. Actually, I'm sure they do, but Quicken doesn't display it. Nor do any of the backups I looked at show connectivity for this Citibank account.

I did the online support chat and he told me to setup connectivity and download the transactions. I tried and got an error. He referred me to a bulletin on Citi connectivity issues they are working on dated from January! Even if I can download these transactions, I will lose all my categories and splits. There is no way I will remember what these probably 50 transactions were for.

This makes me very worried as in 25+ years of using Quicken I've never lost data. I don't trust Quicken anymore.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:55 am I just wanted to post a cautionary tale. 3 months of my most used credit card transactions are missing in Quicken. It also says I don't have connectivity setup and it has never been used. That is incorrect as I download transactions almost everyday.

I have over 100 backups going back 14 months and NONE of them have the missing data. Actually, I'm sure they do, but Quicken doesn't display it. Nor do any of the backups I looked at show connectivity for this Citibank account.

I did the online support chat and he told me to setup connectivity and download the transactions. I tried and got an error. He referred me to a bulletin on Citi connectivity issues they are working on dated from January! Even if I can download these transactions, I will lose all my categories and splits. There is no way I will remember what these probably 50 transactions were for.

This makes me very worried as in 25+ years of using Quicken I've never lost data. I don't trust Quicken anymore.
It could be a Quicken problem or it could be a Citi problem. Just because the issue appears in Quicken does not mean they are necessarily the cause. Especially if other credit cards are working correctly.

I say this only to point out that it is at least possible that your mistrust in Quicken is misplaced. One of the problems in partnering with other companies is that sometimes your priorities are not their priorities. It is possible that Quicken needs Citi to fix something on their end but Citi is working on other projects, maybe related to enriching the CEO and board perhaps, I don’t know.

Can you go to the Citi website and export transactions to Quicken based on a date range and then import then into Quicken? I did this for a short time when CapitalOne was failing connectivity in Quicken. I never did figure out why; it just started working again after a few months.

Alternately, you can just enter the transactions manually, marking them as cleared / reconciled in Quicken.

Sorry you are having this problem, I know it is frustrating but I would not necessarily throw Quicken out the door over it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Kenkat wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:56 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:55 am I just wanted to post a cautionary tale. 3 months of my most used credit card transactions are missing in Quicken. It also says I don't have connectivity setup and it has never been used. That is incorrect as I download transactions almost everyday.

It could be a Quicken problem or it could be a Citi problem. Just because the issue appears in Quicken does not mean they are necessarily the cause. Especially if other credit cards are working correctly.

I say this only to point out that it is at least possible that your mistrust in Quicken is misplaced. One of the problems in partnering with other companies is that sometimes your priorities are not their priorities. It is possible that Quicken needs Citi to fix something on their end but Citi is working on other projects, maybe related to enriching the CEO and board perhaps, I don’t know.

Can you go to the Citi website and export transactions to Quicken based on a date range and then import then into Quicken? I did this for a short time when CapitalOne was failing connectivity in Quicken. I never did figure out why; it just started working again after a few months.

Alternately, you can just enter the transactions manually, marking them as cleared / reconciled in Quicken.

Sorry you are having this problem, I know it is frustrating but I would not necessarily throw Quicken out the door over it.
Though the connectivity issue right now could be on Citi's side, Citi does not have the ability to delete data I already entered or accepted into Quicken. They provide an interface for Quicken to get data. Like I said, sure I can get those transactions somehow....but I carefully categorize/split all transactions and there is no way I'd remember what they all were. It is my most used cc so there could be from 50-125 transactions.

The data IS in the file(s). I have backups going way before this happened. Quicken is not showing the data or is wiping it out just like the connectivity info (username, password, etc.) This is not a data issue...it is a program issue. At least that is my opinion and I was a software developer for many decades.

When support directs you to a 4 month old bulletin about ongoing connectivity issues they are just trying to get rid of you.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

I've been having a problem with my Fido credit card download. I've been using Q and Fido (Elan) credit card for years and never had a problem. For the past four months, I have to do a balance adjustment each month to make the account balance out. I download my Chase Sapphire account without any problems.
miket29

Post by miket29 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:55 amI did the online support chat and he told me to setup connectivity and download the transactions. I tried and got an error. He referred me to a bulletin on Citi connectivity issues they are working on dated from January! Even if I can download these transactions, I will lose all my categories and splits. There is no way I will remember what these probably 50 transactions were for.
Try searching on the Quicken forum and if you don't find a match for your issue then create a post and if you're lucky someone else has seen the problem also and been able to fix it.

I had a problem a few months ago and found the solution on the forum. I had contacted support and their steps either didn't work or were crazy (eg. delete the account and start again).
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

A few suggestions, if you haven't already tried these: run a file validation and then try to reactivate the CIti connection (probably best to do this on a file copy). If that doesn't work, try a super validation and again try to reactivate.

Here are instructions for those validation types:
https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... validation

While file corruption isn't always a logical next step, it has generally worked for me when things get mysterious (3 months missing from both file and all those backups). Also, although it wouldn't explain the loss of connectivity, make sure the filters for the register itself haven't got changed (the drop down menu with date and type filters).

I have a Citi card as well, and while I haven't experienced your issue, I notice that connectivity is intermittent. I read the same thing on the Quicken Community website.

While things have generally gotten much better with Quicken over the years in terms of stability and connectivity, file corruption problems are still pretty common. I seem to stumble into an issue every few years.

I share your pain too on the Quicken Support chat. I did a call 3 weeks ago over an issue and their suggestions got progressively more idiotic until I terminated the call. I fixed it myself. In my case (different then yours), my issue was caused by one or more of 3 things (file corruption - fixed by super validation, having Quicken data file on different drive than the software when I migrated computers, and/or Ghostery blocking a connection setup popup window).

Hope you can get it fixed. Because of experience with these type of issues over the years, I've taken to running an occasional register download to Excel for key accounts. In addition to standard Quicken file backups. It's really quick to do (one step per register sort of), and it gives you another non-Quicken record of all transactions (including those categories and splits), just in case. Best of luck.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

DetroitRick wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:23 am

A few suggestions, if you haven't already tried these: run a file validation and then try to reactivate the CIti connection (probably best to do this on a file copy). If that doesn't work, try a super validation and again try to reactivate.

Here are instructions for those validation types:
https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... validation

While file corruption isn't always a logical next step, it has generally worked for me when things get mysterious (3 months missing from both file and all those backups). Also, although it wouldn't explain the loss of connectivity, make sure the filters for the register itself haven't got changed (the drop down menu with date and type filters).

I have a Citi card as well, and while I haven't experienced your issue, I notice that connectivity is intermittent. I read the same thing on the Quicken Community website.

While things have generally gotten much better with Quicken over the years in terms of stability and connectivity, file corruption problems are still pretty common. I seem to stumble into an issue every few years.

I share your pain too on the Quicken Support chat. I did a call 3 weeks ago over an issue and their suggestions got progressively more idiotic until I terminated the call. I fixed it myself. In my case (different then yours), my issue was caused by one or more of 3 things (file corruption - fixed by super validation, having Quicken data file on different drive than the software when I migrated computers, and/or Ghostery blocking a connection setup popup window).

Hope you can get it fixed. Because of experience with these type of issues over the years, I've taken to running an occasional register download to Excel for key accounts. In addition to standard Quicken file backups. It's really quick to do (one step per register sort of), and it gives you another non-Quicken record of all transactions (including those categories and splits), just in case. Best of luck.
Thanks. I did a validate before. I tried the super validate and it looks the same. I still cannot re-setup connectivity for this card. Errors out.

Since it is only 3 months I'm sure I can get the transactions. If I have to recategorize them they will be off but it is what it is. If it can happen for 3 months on one account it can happen for 3 years on multiple accounts which is worrisome.

I will probably download a file from Citibank if I cannot connect directly by the end of the week.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:40 am I did a validate before. I tried the super validate and it looks the same. I still cannot re-setup connectivity for this card. Errors out.

Since it is only 3 months I'm sure I can get the transactions. If I have to recategorize them they will be off but it is what it is. If it can happen for 3 months on one account it can happen for 3 years on multiple accounts which is worrisome.

I will probably download a file from Citibank if I cannot connect directly by the end of the week.
Sounds like you've already tried the important stuff, and passing those validations probably means this is fixable. Spitballing here, with the connectivity part of this (doesn't make sense with the 3 month transactions disappearing, though):

- A lot of people are reporting CC-502 errors from Citibank right now. I've seen it intermittently myself. Is that the same error you are getting when trying to reconnect? Although I will say that Quicken error codes are often inaccurate. That code points to Citi, rather than your setup.
When I was unable to reestablish connectivity with another problem financial institution last month, for the first time ever I had to shut off ad blockers in default browser and it THEN worked. I even shut off my A/V too, but it was Ghostery in particular that blocked my own setup access.
- Some people are saying that you need to go onto the Citibank website and authorize Apps like Quicken. I have NOT had to do this myself and my connections with Citibank work 85% of the time, and am using Express Web Connect there. But it is an easy thing to try - log on to Citi > Profile > More Settings > Manage Desktop Apps > Add Access. I didn't even know the feature was there until recently, but some people are reporting that it helps establish the connection. But again, it makes me wonder why my access is working without doing that ...

I agree - if it can happen for one account, it can happen to others. Big picture though - passing those validations is a good sign. If my Citi connection goes bad, I will repost here. Hope something works for you.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

DetroitRick wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:35 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:40 am I did a validate before. I tried the super validate and it looks the same. I still cannot re-setup connectivity for this card. Errors out.

Sounds like you've already tried the important stuff, and passing those validations probably means this is fixable. Spitballing here, with the connectivity part of this (doesn't make sense with the 3 month transactions disappearing, though):

- A lot of people are reporting CC-502 errors from Citibank right now. I've seen it intermittently myself. Is that the same error you are getting when trying to reconnect? Although I will say that Quicken error codes are often inaccurate. That code points to Citi, rather than your setup.
When I was unable to reestablish connectivity with another problem financial institution last month, for the first time ever I had to shut off ad blockers in default browser and it THEN worked. I even shut off my A/V too, but it was Ghostery in particular that blocked my own setup access.
- Some people are saying that you need to go onto the Citibank website and authorize Apps like Quicken. I have NOT had to do this myself and my connections with Citibank work 85% of the time, and am using Express Web Connect there. But it is an easy thing to try - log on to Citi > Profile > More Settings > Manage Desktop Apps > Add Access. I didn't even know the feature was there until recently, but some people are reporting that it helps establish the connection. But again, it makes me wonder why my access is working without doing that ...

I agree - if it can happen for one account, it can happen to others. Big picture though - passing those validations is a good sign. If my Citi connection goes bad, I will repost here. Hope something works for you.
Yes, I'm getting the cc-502 error.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:58 pm
That makes me think the error is on their side. The question is, when connectivity is fixed, will your missing transactions appear too? Wouldn't want to guess, and that would be a new one for me.

I would guess, though, that if you call Citi, they will blame Quicken (and of course, as you know, vice versa).

Still might help to do that quick authorization on Citi website.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

DetroitRick wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:24 pm
That makes me think the error is on their side. The question is, when connectivity is fixed, will your missing transactions appear too? Wouldn't want to guess, and that would be a new one for me.

I would guess, though, that if you call Citi, they will blame Quicken (and of course, as you know, vice versa).

I gave authorizing apps a try but I got the same error. I guess it is just a waiting game now (or manually download from their website).

My other Citi credit card is also giving the CC-502 error.

I'll also add that my file size of the backups (I looked at 30 days) get bigger each day. If 3 months of transactions were really not in the file, I don't think that would happen.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I talked to support and they did a screen share and tried to help me change the connection method for Citi. Nothing worked. They told me to subscribe to an alert on Citi CC-502 errors. Well, that alert was last updated in January! I've wasted a lot of time manually downloading the 3 months of missing transactions and trying to categorize them as well as trying to get downloads to work again. This issue is all over their website and seems to have been going off and on for a long time. Citi is one of the biggest banks and credit card providers so it is sad that Quicken/Citi can't get a handle on this.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I talked to support and they did a screen share and tried to help me change the connection method for Citi. Nothing worked. They told me to subscribe to an alert on Citi CC-502 errors. Well, that alert was last updated in January! I've wasted a lot of time manually downloading the 3 months of missing transactions and trying to categorize them as well as trying to get downloads to work again. This issue is all over their website and seems to have been going off and on for a long time. Citi is one of the biggest banks and credit card providers so it is sad that Quicken/Citi can't get a handle on this.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:13 am
I talked to support and they did a screen share and tried to help me change the connection method for Citi. Nothing worked. They told me to subscribe to an alert on Citi CC-502 errors.
Thanks for posting an update - I was wondering how it went, since I also see that issue all over the Quicken Community. Mine is still working at the moment, but as I mentioned, I did experience this sporadically (connectivity that is). I'm not surprised Quicken Support didn't get to the bottom of it, unfortunately. I would have at least hoped for an explanation on the missing transactions piece. And it's not like Citi is small outfit. I'll post if I have any brainstorms, but my guess is you will eventually see the solution from another user on that Quicken Community since so many are experiencing issues with Citi.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

It's been almost a month and I still cannot download from Citibank. Very disappointing as this is major functionality. The same thing happened with Schwab around 6 months ago. This gives you an idea of the number of open issues they have: https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... -Errors/p1 That's a lot of issues for a short period of time. It seems that whoever bought Quicken just wants to collect the subscription fees and isn't on top of fixing major issues. I'm considering alternatives. The main one being rolling my own system probably in Excel. The problem with that will probably come more with the investment side. The income/expense side is easy. I could also go back to the version before there was a subscription and manually download (which is what I am doing for Citi now).
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:40 am It's been almost a month and I still cannot download from Citibank. Very disappointing as this is major functionality. The same thing happened with Schwab around 6 months ago. This gives you an idea of the number of open issues they have: https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... -Errors/p1 That's a lot of issues for a short period of time. It seems that whoever bought Quicken just wants to collect the subscription fees and isn't on top of fixing major issues. I'm considering alternatives. The main one being rolling my own system probably in Excel. The problem with that will probably come more with the investment side. The income/expense side is easy. I could also go back to the version before there was a subscription and manually download (which is what I am doing for Citi now).
I use Quicken and download Citicard OK. I don't know if Citibank is different. I looked at how the Citicard is set up in Quicken. It says

Financial Institution: Citi Cards
Connection Method: Direct Connect
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

bertilak wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:26 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:40 am It's been almost a month and I still cannot download from Citibank. Very disappointing as this is major functionality. The same thing happened with Schwab around 6 months ago. This gives you an idea of the number of open issues they have: https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... -Errors/p1 That's a lot of issues for a short period of time. It seems that whoever bought Quicken just wants to collect the subscription fees and isn't on top of fixing major issues. I'm considering alternatives. The main one being rolling my own system probably in Excel. The problem with that will probably come more with the investment side. The income/expense side is easy. I could also go back to the version before there was a subscription and manually download (which is what I am doing for Citi now).
I use Quicken and download Citicard OK. I don't know if Citibank is different. I looked at how the Citicard is set up in Quicken. It says

Financial Institution: Citi Cards
Connection Method: Direct Connect
It seems it doesn't affect everyone. I am using Citicards too. I tried Express Coinnect and Direct Connect about 50 times. I even tried Direct Connect while Quicken support was mirroring my screen. I would think that they would have collected a log and easily been able to know what the issue is.
statman

Post by statman »

Well .... I'm using Quicken 2002. Just use it to keep track of investments, enter by hand weekly (usually). Low 8-figure portfolio, just 8 funds/ETFs. It's not a chore to enter by hand and it makes me think about the portfolio.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I finally got my Citi CCs to download. Sadly, no thanks to Quicken. After trying literally like 50 times someone posted that they changed their password and it worked for them. I changed my Citi online password and was able to download in Quicken again.
ThatGuyOrSomething

Post by ThatGuyOrSomething »

statman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:38 pm Well .... I'm using Quicken 2002. Just use it to keep track of investments, enter by hand weekly (usually). Low 8-figure portfolio, just 8 funds/ETFs. It's not a chore to enter by hand and it makes me think about the portfolio.
$10mn+ NW and unwilling to spend ~$60/yr for the update. I love and am always amazed by the frugality of Bogleheads!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The latest Quicken update has again overwritten my splash screen image (what you see when Quicken first starts). Like last time, it's a promotion for Fidelity. It's yet another way to insert ads.

In C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI, look for the line which starts with "Splash=".

Code: Select all

Splash=C:\ProgramData\Quicken\07776\SPLASH.BMP
Overwrite that file with the image of your choice. Or, change the path to something else.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

I am using Quicken for Mac Deluxe, Version 7.2.1 and it works perfectly on my desktop. I've used Quicken since the beginning of time, had no problems. The app, however, doesn't work at all on my iPhone or iPad. When I log in, my account info is outdated, will not update, and then I get the spinning circle that never ends. I've called Quicken customer service and was told he couldn't figure it out and I had to submit a report, although he said the report is only for statistical purposes and no one will contact me with a solution. Dandy. Do any of you successfully use Quicken for Mac with the app on your phone or iPad? Thanks!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:19 am I am using Quicken for Mac Deluxe, Version 7.2.1 and it works perfectly on my desktop. I've used Quicken since the beginning of time, had no problems. The app, however, doesn't work at all on my iPhone or iPad. When I log in, my account info is outdated, will not update, and then I get the spinning circle that never ends. I've called Quicken customer service and was told he couldn't figure it out and I had to submit a report, although he said the report is only for statistical purposes and no one will contact me with a solution. Dandy. Do any of you successfully use Quicken for Mac with the app on your phone or iPad? Thanks!
My understanding is that the Quicken app only works with data that your desktop application "syncs" to the web. This is semi automated as you can tell Quicken to do the sync when you quit the application. I'm pretty sure it also does this whenever you do a one-step update. I have played with this app and found it is not worth the trouble (to me) as all the accounts' actual, real-time, data can be accessed directly without going through Quicken. Also, I have a credit card that updates without a problem in the desktop app but the phone app tells me it has a connectivity error. That makes no sense since the phone app only looks at data from the desktop application, which successfully connects to and gets the data from this card.

There is ANOTHER Quicken app called Simplify which does not depend on synchronizing with the Desktop application. It has a separate subscription fee. I have never used it. I don't know how, or if, it interacts with the desktop application's data. It seems the data is maintained in two places: one for the desktop app and one for the phone app. To me, as a software engineer, this is a bad design choice. There should be only ONE primary location for the data and everything should go there to interact with it.

The whole thing seems jury-rigged and, therefore, error prone.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I use the Windows/Android version of Quicken and I don't know how much of the functionality varies from the iOS version. You have to setup what accounts sync to the cloud (and therefore to the app). They get updated when you do a One Step Update if the box is checked to sync to the cloud.

The app lets me see balances and transactions. I rarely use it as I rarely need to know that on the go. The main benefit from it, which I also rarely use, is I can see how my portfolio is doing all in one place on the go. If all your investments are all at one place you can do this elsewhere.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

bertilak wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:13 am
evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:19 am I am using Quicken for Mac Deluxe, Version 7.2.1 and it works perfectly on my desktop. I've used Quicken since the beginning of time, had no problems. The app, however, doesn't work at all on my iPhone or iPad. When I log in, my account info is outdated, will not update, and then I get the spinning circle that never ends. I've called Quicken customer service and was told he couldn't figure it out and I had to submit a report, although he said the report is only for statistical purposes and no one will contact me with a solution. Dandy. Do any of you successfully use Quicken for Mac with the app on your phone or iPad? Thanks!
My understanding is that the Quicken app only works with data that your desktop application "syncs" to the web. This is semi automated as you can tell Quicken to do the sync when you quit the application. I'm pretty sure it also does this whenever you do a one-step update. I have played with this app and found it is not worth the trouble (to me) as all the accounts' actual, real-time, data can be accessed directly without going through Quicken. Also, I have a credit card that updates without a problem in the desktop app but the phone app tells me it has a connectivity error. That makes no sense since the phone app only looks at data from the desktop application, which successfully connects to and gets the data from this card.

There is ANOTHER Quicken app called Simplify which does not depend on synchronizing with the Desktop application. It has a separate subscription fee. I have never used it. I don't know how, or if, it interacts with the desktop application's data. It seems the data is maintained in two places: one for the desktop app and one for the phone app. To me, as a software engineer, this is a bad design choice. There should be only ONE primary location for the data and everything should go there to interact with it.

The whole thing seems jury-rigged and, therefore, error prone.
Thank you for the very helpful response. One question:

>>I have played with this app and found it is not worth the trouble (to me) as all the accounts' actual, real-time, data can be accessed directly without going through Quicken.>>

How do you access your accounts' actual, real-time data without going though Quicken? Do you mean bank and brokerage accounts and such? If I'm traveling, I want to access all my Quicken files, some of which are just files where I work out projections, keep a list, etc. Unfortunately, I have a Mac Mini, not a laptop, so that's why I want the Quicken app to work on the iPad or iPhone when I travel. Maybe I should just get a laptop and make it easier on myself. But the fact that the app doesn't work is driving me nuts.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:49 am I use the Windows/Android version of Quicken and I don't know how much of the functionality varies from the iOS version. You have to setup what accounts sync to the cloud (and therefore to the app). They get updated when you do a One Step Update if the box is checked to sync to the cloud.

The app lets me see balances and transactions. I rarely use it as I rarely need to know that on the go. The main benefit from it, which I also rarely use, is I can see how my portfolio is doing all in one place on the go. If all your investments are all at one place you can do this elsewhere.
Thank you for the information. It sounds like the Windows and Mac versions are very different.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:52 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:49 am I use the Windows/Android version of Quicken and I don't know how much of the functionality varies from the iOS version. You have to setup what accounts sync to the cloud (and therefore to the app). They get updated when you do a One Step Update if the box is checked to sync to the cloud.

Thank you for the information. It sounds like the Windows and Mac versions are very different.
Interesting. I'd think it would be easier/cheaper to keep the Windows/Mac versions as close to the same as possible for design, development, testing and support reasons. I suspect the share of Mac versions though is pretty small.

One thing I didn't mention because I don't do it, is you can enter transactions on the go as they occur. I download all my transactions (except cash which I rarely use) so I don't use that feature. If you are someone that forgets what you bought I could see entering it at the time of purchase as being a benefit.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:51 am Thank you for the very helpful response. One question:

>>I have played with this app and found it is not worth the trouble (to me) as all the accounts' actual, real-time, data can be accessed directly without going through Quicken.>>

How do you access your accounts' actual, real-time data without going though Quicken? Do you mean bank and brokerage accounts and such? If I'm traveling, I want to access all my Quicken files, some of which are just files where I work out projections, keep a list, etc. Unfortunately, I have a Mac Mini, not a laptop, so that's why I want the Quicken app to work on the iPad or iPhone when I travel. Maybe I should just get a laptop and make it easier on myself. But the fact that the app doesn't work is driving me nuts.
Yes, I mean the bank/brokerage/credit card account data.

I too enter data into Quicken that has not yet actually happened. It is my projection of cash flow. This is another thing that makes the sync'd data less useful to me as the Quicken app displays register data without regard to what has actually cleared the account, or if it has been reconciled. I can't see if some transaction has actually happened or not!

So, even if the app wasn't a bit buggy (connection error?) it does not work well with my way of using Quicken.

I use the laptop exclusively. I have only "played with" the phone app out of curiosity.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:19 am The app, however, doesn't work at all on my iPhone or iPad.
I can only offer you my situation. I use Quicken for Mac Deluxe v7.2.1 on a desktop (Mac mini) at home. I have a Macair but do not use it much. I have an iPad Pro and use the Quicken app on that and it works fine, BUT .....

I don't use it as I find Quicken on the Web (Google browser) a much better experience than the app, so that is what I use when I travel, etc.

Note--I do no link any accounts, but do manual entry, but my stock holdings etc. are updated and are roughly correct (excluding monthly dividends and interest of course). So I am not concerned about data on the web.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

bertilak wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:30 pm
evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:51 am Thank you for the very helpful response. One question:

Yes, I mean the bank/brokerage/credit card account data.

I too enter data into Quicken that has not yet actually happened. It is my projection of cash flow. This is another thing that makes the sync'd data less useful to me as the Quicken app displays register data without regard to what has actually cleared the account, or if it has been reconciled. I can't see if some transaction has actually happened or not!

So, even if the app wasn't a bit buggy (connection error?) it does not work well with my way of using Quicken.

I use the laptop exclusively. I have only "played with" the phone app out of curiosity.
Thank you for those details. A laptop is in my near future, just to avoid this mess! Then I won't need to depend on the app in any way.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

Lastrun wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:13 pm
evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:19 am The app, however, doesn't work at all on my iPhone or iPad.
I can only offer you my situation. I use Quicken for Mac Deluxe v7.2.1 on a desktop (Mac mini) at home. I have a Macair but do not use it much. I have an iPad Pro and use the Quicken app on that and it works fine, BUT .....

I don't use it as I find Quicken on the Web (Google browser) a much better experience than the app, so that is what I use when I travel, etc.

Note--I do no link any accounts, but do manual entry, but my stock holdings etc. are updated and are roughly correct (excluding monthly dividends and interest of course). So I am not concerned about data on the web.
Thank you for such great information. I had never heard of Quicken on the Web. I logged in and I see all my accounts there, but they are not updated, even when I click "update," and the transactions only go up to part of July.

You're lucky that the app works on your iPad Pro!
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:17 pm I logged in and I see all my accounts there, but they are not updated, even when I click "update," and the transactions only go up to part of July.
I am no Quicken expert and you may want to check with support, but have you checked the "file" that the desktop is using verses the on the web version, they may be different. Good luck.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Only accounts that you select in the settings (under Mobile/Web in the Windows version) will sync and they will only sync if you have the cloud sync checkbox checked when doing the one step update.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

Lastrun wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:31 am
evelynmanley wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:17 pm I logged in and I see all my accounts there, but they are not updated, even when I click "update," and the transactions only go up to part of July.
I am no Quicken expert and you may want to check with support, but have you checked the "file" that the desktop is using verses the on the web version, they may be different. Good luck.
Thank you for that suggestion. I just double-checked that to make sure they're both using the same file.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:46 am Only accounts that you select in the settings (under Mobile/Web in the Windows version) will sync and they will only sync if you have the cloud sync checkbox checked when doing the one step update.
I'm using the Mac version, but I did select Mobile Sync. Now the iPad is showing the correct account names and account amounts, but the spinning circle keeps going and going and therefore no transactions are listed under any account.

What is the one-step update? Thank you.