Medicare Signup online at Age 65 Blazingly Fast to approval - 2 days

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Hebell

Medicare Signup online at Age 65 Blazingly Fast to approval - 2 days

Post by Hebell »

My husband signed up online this Sunday for Medicare part A and B, as part of his initial enrollment at age 65. Today, Tuesday at around 7pm, we log back into SSA, and see it's been approved. A little diagram was presented showing all 3 steps were done, for enrollment in A and B effective September. The letter should be in our mailbox in 10-15 days.

Two business days! I am stunned and so pleased.

It does not give the Medicare number online presumably for security reasons.
billthecat

Re: Medicare Signup online at Age 65 Blazingly Fast to approval - 2 days

Post by billthecat »

Hebell wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:51 pm My husband signed up online this Sunday for Medicare part A and B, as part of his initial enrollment at age 65. Today, Tuesday at around 7pm, we log back into SSA, and see it's been approved. A little diagram was presented showing all 3 steps were done, for enrollment in A and B effective September. The letter should be in our mailbox in 10-15 days.

So when you sign up, you can designate a start date? I expect that I'll want to start it at the last minute (65+3mos.) but I don't want to wait until the last minute to sign up.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

billthecat wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:22 am
Hebell wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:51 pm My husband signed up online this Sunday for Medicare part A and B, as part of his initial enrollment at age 65. Today, Tuesday at around 7pm, we log back into SSA, and see it's been approved. A little diagram was presented showing all 3 steps were done, for enrollment in A and B effective September. The letter should be in our mailbox in 10-15 days.

So when you sign up, you can designate a start date? I expect that I'll want to start it at the last minute (65+3mos.) but I don't want to wait until the last minute to sign up.
If you sign up during the three months after you turn 65, coverage begins the first of the month after you enroll. You can't specify a different start date. Maybe in your case, you sign up at the start of 65+3 month, so it's effective on the first of the following month and gives you a month's lead time. Or just do 65+2 and get started one month early.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I signed up for only A when I turned 65. Only a couple weeks ago at 66 1/2, I went over to the social security office and quickly presented first my form for B with a designated start date of July 1st along with the form from work stating that I have been covered and will be until June 30th. I also presented my IIRMA appeal as my income 2 years ago was $3k over the limit to move my premium up. In addition to the form, I included (as required) my tax return from 2 years ago along with a current pay stub and the statement that I was leaving work at the 1/2 point. The very nice and competent CSR said that the IIRMA appeal could not be filed until I started B, but that on July 1st, it would be submitted.

The office at first looked like our Registry of Motor Vehicles with the sign in that gave me a number and the screen with who was being served. But with only one other person waiting, I arrived at 3:00 and walked out the door finished at 3:09. Amazing.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:06 am If you sign up during the three months after you turn 65, coverage begins the first of the month after you enroll.
Medicare.gov contradicts that statement. https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-sta ... rage-start
if by "enroll" you mean "sign up."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:49 am
Tom_T wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:06 am If you sign up during the three months after you turn 65, coverage begins the first of the month after you enroll.
Medicare.gov contradicts that statement. https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-sta ... rage-start
if by "enroll" you mean "sign up."
I don't see the contradiction? Unless we need to qualify things a bit.
If you qualify for Premium-free Part A: Your Part A coverage starts the month you turn 65. (If your birthday is on the first of the month, coverage starts the month before you turn 65.)

Part B (and Premium-Part A): Coverage starts based on the month you sign up:

Before the month you turn 65: [coverage starts] the month you turn 65
The month you turn 65, or during the 3 months after: The next month
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

(duplicate)
Last edited by Hebell on Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

You guys are a bunch of killjoys, haha.. This was meant to be a celebratory post :sharebeer