Small Cap Value heads Rejoice !!!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
drumboy256

Re: Small Cap Value heads Rejoice !!!

Post by drumboy256 »

Can't help but love days like today...... :sharebeer
Promise is one thing. Fulfilling that promise is quite another. - Sir Alex Ferguson | 20% IVV / 40% IBIT / 20% IXUS / 20% VGLT + chill
drumboy256

Post by drumboy256 »

Again, can't help but love days like today.... :sharebeer
Promise is one thing. Fulfilling that promise is quite another. - Sir Alex Ferguson | 20% IVV / 40% IBIT / 20% IXUS / 20% VGLT + chill
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

drumboy256 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:29 am Again, can't help but love days like today.... :sharebeer
Yep. Back up to the Apr 3 local peak. Need several more to get to the Feb 2 level.
freyj6

Post by freyj6 »

:beer :sharebeer

Good week to be in AVUV :)
strummer6969

Post by strummer6969 »

I tilted 10% to SCV about a month ago :sharebeer I'm currently fighting the urge not sell, heh.
Random Walker

Post by Random Walker »

Really good lesson that a huge part of the return of an asset class or for that matter the market as a whole, occurs in very short unpredictable bursts. Need to already be there when it happens. Buy & Hold Tight.

Dave
renovator20

Post by renovator20 »

I watched a Merryman video about tilting to a small cap value index for 10% of my retirement investments while on the treadmill a few months ago. This was to tilt my returns higher than VTSAX over time. So I did that and the share price went down while I watched VTSAX go up. Now I am almost even at my cost of this value fund. Once I get back to even, I'll put it into VTSAX. Moral of this story, stay with your original plan and don't chase higher returns.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

renovator20 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:31 am I watched a Merryman video about tilting to a small cap value index for 10% of my retirement investments while on the treadmill a few months ago. This was to tilt my returns higher than VTSAX over time. So I did that and the share price went down while I watched VTSAX go up. Now I am almost even at my cost of this value fund. Once I get back to even, I'll put it into VTSAX. Moral of this story, stay with your original plan and don't chase higher returns.
So your investment is almost flat over a few months and you’re abandoning the strategy?

What do you do when bonds are flat/down and/or when stocks are flat/down? Do you sell them and go to cash until they’ve “gone up” again? It may generally be a good idea to have some kind of policy that describes when you would/wouldn’t change your portfolio
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
SpookyKG

Post by SpookyKG »

renovator20 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:31 am I watched a Merryman video about tilting to a small cap value index for 10% of my retirement investments while on the treadmill a few months ago. This was to tilt my returns higher than VTSAX over time. So I did that and the share price went down while I watched VTSAX go up. Now I am almost even at my cost of this value fund. Once I get back to even, I'll put it into VTSAX. Moral of this story, stay with your original plan and don't chase higher returns.
Moral of the story is that tilts may offer a benefit over decades, and that fiddling with your portfolio over a period of months is unlikely to benefit anybody but your by-the-hour therapist.
justglassin

Post by justglassin »

Some days I enjoy the volatility of SCV, others I wish I was plain-jane 3-Fund and Chill.

One strategy I've found that can scratch the factor-tilt itch is to open an account outside your main brokerage and just DCA into that. M1 is ideally suited for this. I opened one there in Aug '21 and started a weekly DCA into a Ben Felix inspired Factor portfolio. People sometimes knock M1, but for auto-invest buy and hold a specific asset allocation it is tough to beat.

I also have a 10% tilt to value in my VG brokerage, but it's a minor annoyance to have to manually purchase ETF shares there to keep my tilt via Avantis ETFs (AVUV, AVDV) instead of just letting my DCA run automatically via VTSAX and VTIAX. Kind of wish I'd never started a tilt there so I could have everything on autopilot.
PowderSkier

Post by PowderSkier »

hdas wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:52 pm IJS / QQQ

What does that chart mean?
My investing rules: diversification, patience, and fearlessness in the face of market collapses.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

PowderSkier wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:51 pm
hdas wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:52 pm IJS / QQQ

What does that chart mean?
Nothing, unfortunately
triz

Post by triz »

IJS / QQQ shows that since around 2006, there has been steady underperformance with a sharper downturn starting in 2017. It has bounced back a bit in the middle of 2020 and again in 2022, but 2023 is showing another downturn.

Does it mean anything? Let's see. I'd for sure be far more comfortable holding IJS compared to QQQ for the next 10 years. I think mega tech is extremely overvalued after being pumped up again. It simply can't last forever. That doesn't mean anyone can time it because it can stay like this or get worse for years. But I definitely believe it is the classic recency bias if anyone seriously thinks this trend is going to continue on and on. Reversions and different market cycles happen throughout history. This is not likely to be a different time.

Anytime I see significant and extended outperformance (like with US market cap weighted and especially mega tech), I'm very wary.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

We not mentioning the big day Friday?
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

donaldfair71 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:35 pm We not mentioning the big day Friday?
Really??? Can you expand on why you think Friday’s returns are worth noting? I may be missing something.

I’m long on small cap value, but don’t see one day returns as anything more than noise. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Why should I care about one day’s returns?
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

calmaniac wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:10 pm
donaldfair71 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:35 pm We not mentioning the big day Friday?
Really??? Can you expand on why you think Friday’s returns are worth noting? I may be missing something.

I’m long on small cap value, but don’t see one day returns as anything more than noise. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Why should I care about one day’s returns?
That’s fair. I agree with the sentiment, just thought that 112 pages of discussing 1 day returns going back years on big up days would merit at least one mention on another big up day.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

donaldfair71 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:13 pm

That’s fair. I agree with the sentiment, just thought that 112 pages of discussing 1 day returns going back years on big up days would merit at least one mention on another big up day.
Fair enough! Good point.

I worry about the people that get into SCV and expect to see some results in 1-2 years…and then get discouraged. Maybe I need to chill. 😜
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
SafeBonds

Post by SafeBonds »

donaldfair71 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:13 pm

I agree with calmaniac and I don't think it's worth bumping this thread whenever we have a day like this. But I do keep an eye on this thread and I noticed the returns Friday. I've got allocations to AVUV and AVDV. Been at this strategy since 2012. Tax loss harvested into Avantis ETFs near the covid lows. Holding on and staying the course.
SafeBonds

Post by SafeBonds »

And days like today prove why we shouldn't celebrate one day wins. I won't post the box again but it's basically a worse day for SCV than it was a good day on Friday.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

SafeBonds wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:34 pm And days like today prove why we shouldn't celebrate one day wins. I won't post the box again but it's basically a worse day for SCV than it was a good day on Friday.
International SCV ain’t so bad
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

SafeBonds wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:34 pm And days like today prove why we shouldn't celebrate one day wins. I won't post the box again but it's basically a worse day for SCV than it was a good day on Friday.
Just glad we’re back to following one day returns.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

Nathan Drake wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:35 pm
International SCV ain’t so bad
Not at all. Throw in emerging value that tilts smaller, not bad everywhere.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

So expected returns are even higher. Rejoice!?
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

muffins14 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:30 pm
So expected returns are even higher. Rejoice!?
Love the optimism! :beer
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

donaldfair71 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:36 pm
In all seriousness, it would be nice if we have a daily discussion thread to remove some of those pent up market timing energy :twisted:
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

jarjarM wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:34 pm
donaldfair71 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:36 pm
In all seriousness, it would be nice if we have a daily discussion thread to remove some of those pent up market timing energy :twisted:
Right? Kind of my goal in rekindling the thread, +2% used to lead to some joy in the rejoice thread.

Everything doesn’t have to be serious all the time.
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

You mean like this one?

US Markets continue to soar!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (general economic discussion). As noted in the site owner's post in the locked thread Re: U.S. stocks in free fall:
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:02 pm A reminder from the forum policies:
Investing - Theory, News & General

If it's investment related and it doesn't fall into the above category it goes here.
General economic discussions do not fall under the category of "investment related". Nor do they fall under the allowed topics in any of our other forums. You will have to find another site or outlet if you wish to take part in such discussions.

Just in case the previous was unclear, we specifically addressed this issue in the following policy:
Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.