S&P Dividend Growers Index and S&P Global Ex-U.S. Dividend Growers Index

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
GaryA505

S&P Dividend Growers Index and S&P Global Ex-U.S. Dividend Growers Index

Post by GaryA505 »

I've recently been reading about the S&P Dividend Growers Index. As some of you probably know, this is the index that has been used by the Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index Fund and ETF (VDADX/VIG) since 3rd quarter of 2021. Previous to that, VDADX/VIG used the NASDAQ U.S. Dividend Achievers Select Index. As you may also know, S&P Dividend Growers Index is NOT a high dividend yield index. It actually excludes the highest 25% of dividend paying stocks to avoid the "yield trap".

There could be other funds that follow this index, but I don't know of any. There are some other funds that claim to be "dividend achiever" funds but they don't appear to use this index.

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/indic ... /#overview

Also, it's relevant to note that the S&P Global Ex-U.S. Dividend Growers Index is now used by the Vanguard International Dividend Appreciation Fund and ETF (VIAAX/VIGI), also since 2rd quarter 2021.

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/indic ... /#overview

I present this topic only to start a discussion about the S&P Dividend Growers Index, as well as the S&P Global Ex-U.S. Dividend Growers Index. I find these indices interesting, though I don't own either of the funds that use them.

>>> PLEASE let's not allow this thread to turn into a "high dividend" fund discussion/debate. Neither of these funds are high dividend yield. <<<
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: S&P Dividend Growers Index and S&P Global Ex-U.S. Dividend Growers Index

Post by nisiprius »

(No, it will just start a fight about the other dividend theory--dividend growth).

There's another, the S&P Dividend Aristocrats Index, and an ETF that tracks it, NOBL. The phrase "dividend aristocrats" goes back a long time; it was originally a category developed by Moody's.

And there are a fair number of actively managed dividend growth stock funds: Fidelity Dividend Growth, T. Rowe Price Dividend Growth.

The odd thing to me is that despite all the discussions of buybacks being superior to dividends, there are also buyback-oriented funds and ETFs, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend them...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
GaryA505

Re: S&P Dividend Growers Index and S&P Global Ex-U.S. Dividend Growers Index

Post by GaryA505 »

I'm surprised this thread didn't see more action. Don't we have a few "indexheads" lurking around here?
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.