Credit card limbo

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Credit card limbo

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm seeing if anyone has any advice. Based on another thread (CC rewards) I applied for a AAA Visa credit card probably 4 weeks ago. My credit report shows an inquiry. 2 weeks ago there was something coming in the mail from Comenity Capital Bank (the issuers for AAA). The envelope said "Important Account Information Enclosed." I know this from Informed Delivery. I never got the piece of mail.

I called the 800 number and they said I had no account. They said they have no phone number for applications and customer service has no access to application information. My credit score is very high (820s) and I can't imagine why I would be denied. I am not sure what happened or what I can do. At this point it is unlikely this piece of mail will ever show up (a fairly common problem where I live).

It seems odd that the envelope would say "Important Account Information Enclosed" if it was a denial.
safari

Re: Credit card limbo

Post by safari »

Try calling this number 1-800-303-1368. This is Comenity's direct customer service line.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

safari wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:22 am Try calling this number 1-800-303-1368. This is Comenity's direct customer service line.
Thanks. I called and they said I don't have an account and they couldn't find an application but the applications are purged after 30 days (seems odd for legal reasons - Fair Credit Reporting Act). I got my credit report and the inquiry shows an address. I am going to write them I guess to find the reason for the apparent denial. They said I could apply again but if I was denied for some reason already I don't see what that would do and I don't want the credit hit. I can't imagine why I was denied unless I made some mistake on the application. I haven't been denied for a credit card in decades.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Don't assume all banks want folks with great credit. Some bank do not. Cap1 for example is known to frequently deny folks with good credit and no balances likely because Cap1 has determined they are less profitable. Some folks have had success getting a Cap1 card after letting some other card close with high balances. I don't have any experience with Commerity so no idea if it applies to them or not.

I have a high credit score and while I got one Cap1 card I have been denied for a second one several times. I have also has some hit and miss with Synchrony which like Commerity is a smaller bank that often targets less well-off consumers.
Last edited by THY4373 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

Why were they recommending the AAA card? Are you sure posts recommending them were from after they switched to Comenity? If they were from when the card was with BofA I'd consider yourself lucky if in fact you don't have an account with Comenity, and maybe dispute the inquiry if they truly have no record of your application.
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

hachiko wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:07 pm Why were they recommending the AAA card? Are you sure posts recommending them were from after they switched to Comenity? If they were from when the card was with BofA I'd consider yourself lucky if in fact you don't have an account with Comenity, and maybe dispute the inquiry if they truly have no record of your application.
5% grocery stores, 3% at warehouse clubs/gas/pharmacy/streaming and 1% on everything else. For me, it was mostly for Costco and groceries. The credit inquiry was listed as Comenity as was the banner on the application page.

One agent said they didn't keep applications and another said they cannot discuss applications due to privacy. I suspect they don't want to deal with people arguing over a denial. As I said above, for legal reasons there is no way they are purging applications after 30 days.

The card is from the NE region of AAA, but people in the Credit Rewards thread said it was available to anyone.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:17 pm
One agent said they didn't keep applications and another said they cannot discuss applications due to privacy. I suspect they don't want to deal with people arguing over a denial. As I said above, for legal reasons there is no way they are purging applications after 30 days.

The card is from the NE region of AAA, but people in the Credit Rewards thread said it was available to anyone.
If you really want an answer consider filing a CFPB complaint against them. Applied for card, hit your credit report, no response, cannot get an answer calling, yada, yada, yada. Even cut rate banks tend to respond to CFPB quickly in my experience.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

THY4373 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:25 pm

If you really want an answer consider filing a CFPB complaint against them. Applied for card, hit your credit report, no response, cannot get an answer calling, yada, yada, yada. Even cut rate banks tend to respond to CFPB quickly in my experience.
Thanks for the response. I might do that. Obviously, I don't need this card. In fact, I generally don't open cards that don't have big bonuses. It is more of a not knowing what happened situation. USPS is very much to blame...probably more than Comenity. Had I received whatever they mailed me there probably wouldn't be an issue.

Not to get to sidetracked, but I didn't receive this, my last 2 property tax bills, my city sticker and my city zone parking permits. I only get about 7 pieces of mail a year that I care about and they all seem to be not delivered. I have complained multiple times through the appropriate USPS channels.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 pm Not to get to sidetracked, but I didn't receive this, my last 2 property tax bills, my city sticker and my city zone parking permits. I only get about 7 pieces of mail a year that I care about and they all seem to be not delivered. I have complained multiple times through the appropriate USPS channels.
You might want to consider a PO Box (maybe at another post office, even) if it's that serious. Something's happening that shouldn't.

The "letter" was probably a "we need you to call for further information" that Comenity likes to do (I applied for a card to get a merchant discount, got that letter, and said "why bother" and just used the Apple Card).

Next time if you apply for a card and get a "we are sending you a letter" response instead of instant approval or denial, call the next day or so and they usually can approve it.
student

Post by student »

hachiko wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:07 pm Why were they recommending the AAA card? Are you sure posts recommending them were from after they switched to Comenity? If they were from when the card was with BofA I'd consider yourself lucky if in fact you don't have an account with Comenity, and maybe dispute the inquiry if they truly have no record of your application.
5% grocery stores, 3% at warehouse clubs/gas/pharmacy/streaming and 1% on everything else. For me, it was mostly for Costco and groceries. The credit inquiry was listed as Comenity as was the banner on the application page.

If the cash back is the reason, citi custom cash gives you 5% on the category that you spend the most every month (up to $500 spending). If you have a player 2 in your family, then you can get two of them.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

student wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:22 am

If the cash back is the reason, citi custom cash gives you 5% on the category that you spend the most every month (up to $500 spending). If you have a player 2 in your family, then you can get two of them.
I don't think warehouse clubs is a 5% category.
student

Post by student »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:50 am
student wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:22 am

I don't think warehouse clubs is a 5% category.
I don't know what Citi considers warehouse clubs as but whatever category it is in, you get 5% (up to the limit) in that category, correct? Personally, I make use of the following.
1) Chase Freedom 5% quarterly category.
2) Discover 5% quarterly category.
3) US Bank Cash+ 5% on the category that I want.
4) BoA Cash Back on one category. 5.25% via preferred rewards.
5) BoA Travel Rewards/Cash Rewards. 2.65% via preferred rewards.

If you have a player 2, you can double on items 3 and 4...
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

bombcar wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:50 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 pm Not to get to sidetracked, but I didn't receive this, my last 2 property tax bills, my city sticker and my city zone parking permits. I only get about 7 pieces of mail a year that I care about and they all seem to be not delivered. I have complained multiple times through the appropriate USPS channels.
You might want to consider a PO Box (maybe at another post office, even) if it's that serious. Something's happening that shouldn't.

The "letter" was probably a "we need you to call for further information" that Comenity likes to do (I applied for a card to get a merchant discount, got that letter, and said "why bother" and just used the Apple Card).

Next time if you apply for a card and get a "we are sending you a letter" response instead of instant approval or denial, call the next day or so and they usually can approve it.
If that is what the letter is, it is likely a different department and a completely different phone number. If I can find that phone number....maybe I'll call the main number and see if they have it.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

Not to get to sidetracked, but I didn't receive this, my last 2 property tax bills, my city sticker and my city zone parking permits. I only get about 7 pieces of mail a year that I care about and they all seem to be not delivered. I have complained multiple times through the appropriate USPS channels.
Complain to your congressional rep. Encourage others having same issue to do the same. We were having terrible issues here and they ended up getting the regional manager to do a public session where they got lots of feedback. They explained what their problems were and how they planned to address them. Things got better and are mostly OK now...

Mike
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

SOLVED: I called the number I had and told them I received (but lost) a letter for additional information regarding my application. After a lot of transfers and holding I was asked some questions based on my credit file to verify my identity. Then I was told I was approved and will receive my card in 7-10 business days. Hopefully it makes it here.

Thanks Bombcar for the tip.