TV shows similar to Episodes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SpideyIndexer

TV shows similar to Episodes?

Post by SpideyIndexer »

Looking for semi-sophisticated TV comedies in a similar vein to Episodes. Not stand-up but sitcoms. Any suggestions?

I'll widen the net to include Dramedies similar to Love.

I also like high quality dark stuff such as Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. However it seems very difficult to find good comedies lately and an occasional break from the real world with laughter would do me good. Thanks.
TNWoods

Re: TV shows similar to Episodes?

Post by TNWoods »

I loved Episodes.

It's a great example of a single camera show, without that multi-cam style of writing, with the awkward set-up lines and zinger retorts and laugh tracks every other line.

Other shows that I think of in the same way are:

The Larry Sanders Show
30 Rock
Arrested Development
Parks and Rec
Community
Get Shorty
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Silicon Valley
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Office
Jean Claude Van Johnson

Similar to Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul, I think of long story arcs, cinematic style, flawed heroes:

Justified
Fargo
Unreal
Goliath
Westworld
The Sinner
Deadwood
True Detective
Last edited by TNWoods on Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Monk was hilarious
Scrooge McDuck

Post by Scrooge McDuck »

Schitt's Creek maybe.

There's a TV show thread by the way (search for "What TV show have you recently watched?").
Topic Author
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer »

Thanks Guys. In terms of comedies, I watched Schitt's Creeks for lack of much that's better. Cunk on Earth has its share of funny moments, though her shticks of dumb misunderstandings when interviewing experts got old.

Get Shorty was decent, straddling the two categories. Guess I would call Clarkson's Farm a comedic reality show.

In the darker vein I watched Goliath (which seemed to get worse in each season), Fargo and Broadchurch. Spent time with The Blacklist and Undercover, again for lack of much that's better, though these were more intense and unrelenting than I prefer.

I desperately could use more suggestions about good comedies, or at least shows with a higher ratio of funny to serious moments. Maybe I need to spend some bucks on other "channels" besides Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have seen the TV show thread.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Kim’s Convenience
Scrubs
Veep
Entourage
What we do in the Shadows
BoJack Horseman
Fleabag
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

SpideyIndexer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:58 pm Looking for semi-sophisticated TV comedies in a similar vein to Episodes. Not stand-up but sitcoms. Any suggestions?

I'll widen the net to include Dramedies similar to Love.

I also like high quality dark stuff such as Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. However it seems very difficult to find good comedies lately and an occasional break from the real world with laughter would do me good. Thanks.

Ted Lasso
White Lotus