accidentally contribued to traditional IRA instead of Roth.

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
teacher2163

accidentally contribued to traditional IRA instead of Roth.

Post by teacher2163 »

I accidentally contributed to a Traditional IRA at Vanguard this morning. I want it to be in a Roth IRA. What is the simplest method to do this? Can I just convert it to a Roth on the website? I saw this option, but wanted to make sure I am not missing something important. Thanks for the help
retiredjg

Re: accidentally contribued to traditional IRA instead of Roth.

Post by retiredjg »

Do not "convert" to Roth. Instead, call the custodian and ask them to "re-characterize" the ____ contribution you made on ____ from traditional to Roth IRA. It will be as if the money were put into Roth IRA in the first place.

It's a "do over".
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

You might be missing something important: If you have another traditional IRA, SEP-IRA, or SIMPLE then the amounts in them will require you to pro-rate the conversion to a Roth IRA of your accidental traditional IRA. If you don't have another traditional, nor SEP-IRA, nor SIMPLE, then no issue with converting your accidental traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. Be sure to convert not only your contribution, but also any gains that it has made even if it takes two separate conversions on different dates.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
queenofthemadhouse

Post by queenofthemadhouse »

A recharacterization is quick and painless. Give them a call and it should be easily handled.
Topic Author
teacher2163

Post by teacher2163 »

Thanks for the responses. I will give them a call. Fortunately, I had no balance in the traditional IRA.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

teacher2163 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:23 am Thanks for the responses. I will give them a call. Fortunately, I had no balance in the traditional IRA.
Be aware that if you recharacterize there will be a little extra tax paperwork next year. You'll get a 1099-R for the distribution from the TIRA which needs to go on the return and will have to make the required recharacterization statement.
Topic Author
teacher2163

Post by teacher2163 »

Thanks for the advice. I called Vanguard and had it fixed in a few minutes. I will make notes about the recharacterization in my tax notes, regarding the paperwork.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

teacher2163 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:23 am Thanks for the responses. I will give them a call. Fortunately, I had no balance in the traditional IRA.
That would not have mattered for a recharacterization only a conversion.