Sony X90CK

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HotRod140

Sony X90CK

Post by HotRod140 »

Hi all
I am looking at the Sony 65 Inch X90CK model. Costco has it currently for $1099 and extended 3 yr extra protection for 5 year total warranty. Does anyone here have real world experiences and or reviews of this TV. Thanks
02nz

Re: Sony X90CK

Post by 02nz »

It's a fine TV, but I wouldn't spend $1100 for a 65-inch LCD when even an entry-level OLED like the LG B2 will offer far better image quality for a couple hundred bucks more.

Check Rtings' reviews of the two: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.10 (That's of the X90K but the X90CK is essentially identical - C = Costco).
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

02nz wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:34 pm It's a fine TV, but I wouldn't spend $1100 for a 65-inch LCD when even an entry-level OLED like the LG B2 will offer far better image quality for a couple hundred bucks more.

Check Rtings' reviews of the two: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... shold=0.10 (That's of the X90K but the X90CK is essentially identical - C = Costco).
I can't agree more that LCD tech doesn't come close to what OLED offers. I would highly recommend spending a little more for OLED if possible. And when I say OLED I do not mean QLED which is also LCD.

https://www.costco.com/lg-65-class-oled ... 79730.html

$1299 at costco.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney »

rtings.com is the best (by far) review site for TVs.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.
idc

Post by idc »

Make sure you understand what you need and don't buy into too much hype. I own both an 65" LG OLED and a higher end 75" Sony LCD. Love both for their own purposes. Both Sony and LG make excellent sets.

The Sony is in a brightly lit room and I play a lot of video games on it. The LG is in a smaller room where I can easily control the lighting. While the LG looks better, with no white blooming and likely better colors, the LCD Sony TV does much better for me for playing games and being in brightly lit room. LCDs tend to have higher brightness and I do not worry at all about burn in with playing video games.

Most people will probably not be able to tell the differences in color or notice things like white blooming, or even watch content where that matters. If you don't know much about those, then perhaps you don't really care :)

Also, make sure you understand the smarts of the TV. Sony is Android and likely better software than WebOS. I don't use either, as I am using Apple TVs, but in my experience, the LG smart TV is more awkward to use than the Sony Android TV and it is likely to have overall better long term support. If you watch mostly cable through a cable box probably does not matter that much.
Topic Author
HotRod140

Post by HotRod140 »

I should have given more details. The room where the TV will be placed is a first floor fairly bright condo with a sliding door and window. I dont do gaming at all and will stream Youtube TV. I do Like MLB and NFL for my sports. I will also stream through my new Apple TV box. Maybe, all this will make a difference for my choice?
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

HotRod140 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:36 am I should have given more details. The room where the TV will be placed is a first floor fairly bright condo with a sliding door and window. I dont do gaming at all and will stream Youtube TV. I do Like MLB and NFL for my sports. I will also stream through my new Apple TV box. Maybe, all this will make a difference for my choice?
What does the Apple TV box provide the TV’s native Apple TV app does not?

In my experience, I don’t think you’ll need the box.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Topic Author
HotRod140

Post by HotRod140 »

I dont have the slightest idea, regarding the difference. Ha Ha, I guess, I just fell for the hype
buzzz_buzzz_buzzz

Post by buzzz_buzzz_buzzz »

pizzy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:21 am What does the Apple TV box provide the TV’s native Apple TV app does not?
The Apple TV app on Sony is basically just a wrapper for Apple TV+ with a few other features. It doesn't have the capability to integrate with other apps that are on the TV.

The Apple TV box allows Apple to act as a wrapper for all your apps and shows. It keeps track of when new episodes are out for the shows you are watching on most platforms. It also allows for a larger selection of app downloads than most TVs and can serve as a home hub for HomeKit or Matter. I also feel like the Apple TV box is slightly more responsive than my A80J.

Obviously, like you stated, if none of the above things are of value to you, I wouldn't suggest the box, but there are definitely a lot of useful features on the box that aren't available through the app.
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

Bought the J version in 2022. Would buy again.

Don't go OLED based on your use case. The LCD requires us to close the blinds when watching dark movies during the day.

I use Roku plugged into HDMI instead of the native apps on the Sony TV. Reasons: Roku remote is awesome. Sony remote is not. Roku interface is fast, Sony is not.

YouTube TV streaming quality isn't great, but you should be used to that if you already use the service. Nothing to do with the TV, just limitations of the service.