Memorial Day - 2023

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Memorial Day - 2023

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Memorial Day was established in 1868 to honor Civil War soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the Union and give us the freedoms we cherish. Since that date, over one million American servicemen and women have died in this nation's wars.

The link below is a poignant reminder of the brave men and women who gave us their lives so that you and I can live in a free and prosperous society.

He Was Just A Common Soldier

Best wishes.
Taylor
101st Airborne Division, World War II
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Arboecars

Re: MEMORIAL DAY - 2023

Post by Arboecars »

Thank you Taylor
I often found this brief quote Shakespeare’s St. Crispin’s speech appropriate in this solemn day.

    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered;

    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:

    And gentlemen in England now abed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog »

Thanks Taylor for your service!
On behalf of a grateful nation.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Bogleheads:

I was a scared 20 year-old paratrooper in the Battle of the Bulge which was the largest and bloodiest single battle fought by the United States in WWII.

A key to stopping the German advance was the city of Bastogne, Belgium with its vital highway and railroad intersections the Germans needed to continue their advance. The 101st Airborne Division was sent to hold the city. We were soon surrounded by three German Divisions trying to kill us. It was also one of the coldest winter's in Belgium history (I sleep with socks to lessen the pain of my frozen toes). We held the city and were the first American Division to receive The Presidential Unit Citation.

The Hills of Bastogne

The crop shall be full in Belgium next year,
The soil should be fertile, but the price has been dear.
The wheat should be red on the hills of Bastogne.
For its roots have been drenched with the blood of our own.

Battered and reeling we stand in their way.
It's here we are, and here we'll stay.
Embittered, wrathful, we watch our pals fall.
God, where is the end? The end of it all?

Confident and powerful they strike at our lines.
But we beat them back, fighting for time.
Berserk with fury, they are hitting us now
flesh against steel, we'll hold, but how?

For each day that we stay, more Mothers must grieve.
For each hill we hold, more men must we leave.
Yes, honor the men who someday come home,
But pray for the men, 'neath the hills of Bastogne.

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?"
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Mon May 29, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

Thanks to all of our veterans for serving. It is a regret of mine that I did not serve. I think it is important to remember that "all gave some, but some gave all ".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_ ... he%20Bulge.
The 101st Airborne Division's casualties from 19 December 1944 to 6 January 1945 were 341 killed, 1,691 wounded, and 516 missing. Several regiments within the 101st were nicknamed "The Battered Bastards of Bastogne", due to their part in holding the important crossroads town during the Battle of the Bulge.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Thank you, Taylor, for this important reminder.

Each Memorial Day, I like to re-read the Gettysburg Address:
Abraham Lincoln wrote: Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Silence Dogood:

I was once a speech teacher (2nd job) and urged my students to carefully study Lincoln's Gettysburg Address which may be the best speech ever spoken.

Best wishes
Taylor
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Taylor,

Thank you for your service. That was a very touching and heartfelt presentation of He Was Just a Common Soldier. That was the first time I've seen it, but it did remind me of several veterans in a few different wars who have since passed that were family and friends.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Goodenoughforme

Post by Goodenoughforme »

Taylor,
Thank you for your service and this reminder about what is most important about this day.
John Bogle- You have the ability to control: Risk, Time, and Cost, but not Reward in Investing!
ebeb

Post by ebeb »

Thanks for your service to the nation!
Sorry I didn't know of your service in the 101st Airborne Division, World War II. Perhaps if you have already written or write about your experience during WW II, and post it to the Bogleheads site, I am sure it will be an inspiring story to many :happy
80% VOO | 20% BND+TBILL+CASH | Don't believe Nobody because Nobody knows nothin' - Anon
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Taylor,

Both my grandfathers fought in the war.

My maternal grandfather was in the 12th armored division and never spoke about his time there other than 1 story: he and his unit had found a piano somewhere in Germany. They put the piano on the back of their truck and he would entertain the unit. He was a very good improviser from my recollection. He did not have the foresight to buy a few Rolexes.

My paternal grandfather was in the Navy. He passed when I was very young. My mother shared this story — my mother and father were with him in the NYC subway in the early 1980s. A man grabbed my grandfathers arm at the landing and said “you saved my life”. My grandfather wasn’t sure what he was talking about. Then he said that he was onboard a ship which name escapes me in the Pacific, it had been sunk, and my grandfather had pulled him from the water and wiped the oil from his face. He never forgot the face.

Happy Memorial Day.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Happy Memorial Day!

My service was very humble, US Navy CV43 Iran/Iraq. And so I have a special respect for those who have unselfishly put their lives on the line, and of course for those and their family and friends who have suffered death and injury. For me Memorial Day is more than a day only in the US; it’s also a day to solemnly acknowledge all those who have courageously given of themselves for true freedom worldwide and throughout time.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Our undying thanks and gratitude should go out on this day to all those who gave their lives defending our country and to the “Gold Star” families that they have left behind.
David Althaus

Post by David Althaus »

Instead of starting a new thread and without Mr. Larimore's permission: Ernie Pyle remains the most famous and BEST war journalist. During the 1944 Italian campaign he wrote what is regarded as the best war column of World War II.

I was exposed to it almost 55 years ago in a journalism class. That day's class subject was "How human interest columns add to the reading experience."
Pyle's story is titled "The Death of Captain Waskow" which our professor read aloud. As he read the final sentence there was complete silence in the large room because none of us were breathing.

Google "The Death of Captain Waskow" and be directed right to the story. It will be well worth the five minutes required. Keep a tissue handy.

Some will argue we can be overly sentimental toward the World War II soldiers. I strongly disagree.

All the best
Hacksawdave

Post by Hacksawdave »

Taylor,

Thank you for your service to a grateful nation, and of course to all veterans!

I was fortunate to discover your other fine service when I joined the Vanguard Diehards in 2004 looking for an Excel spreadsheet to help calculate total returns to annual increases to Dollar cost averaging plans. You provided one I still use today.

Thank you, kind Sir, for all you do.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Hacksawdave wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:56 pm Taylor,

Thank you for your service to a grateful nation, and of course to all veterans!

I was fortunate to discover your other fine service when I joined the Vanguard Diehards in 2004 looking for an Excel spreadsheet to help calculate total returns to annual increases to Dollar cost averaging plans. You provided one I still use today.

Thank you, kind Sir, for all you do.
Hacksawdave:

We have enjoyed a long time together. I appreciate your post.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Don't look for the needle in the haystack; just buy the haystack."
Kbg

Post by Kbg »

My wars were quite a bit after yours, but the Greatest Generation is a tough act to follow.

You are one of the few WW II Vets around anymore, and I'd like to thank you, and all your brothers passed.

V/r kbg
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Thank you for your service! I hold tremendous gratitude in my heart for our veterans.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Thank you for your service, and God bless all of those who have perished.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
skylarkguy

Post by skylarkguy »

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for your service in WW2. I'm especially appreciative because my grandfather and his siblings were serving in that war also, and I am sure that your service helped make a difference in them getting back home safely. The country owes you and the others who served alongside you our gratitude.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Thank you for sharing, Taylor & others! I hope we will never forget the people who sacrificed so much!
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Thank you for your service, Taylor!

Both of my grandfathers served in WWII. One died in 1944 and one lived until 1983. Taylor, I'm glad you're still around in 2023 to remind us firsthand of the Greatest Generation's courage, sacrifice, and honor.

Best,
oldzey
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

Semper Fidelis

Death is certain; life is not
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
Lawrence of Suburbia

Post by Lawrence of Suburbia »

I was struck this morning, thinking about the holidays' meaning ... and how very fortunate I've been, living in the post-WWII Pax Americana. Paid for by the blood and sacrifices of my fellow citizens; a debt that can never be repaid, save by the goodwill and good efforts of those of us here today to preserve the peace and prosperity they made possible.
74% VTHRX/8% DODWX/12% TIAA Traditional/6% SWVXX
rossington

Post by rossington »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:00 am Bogleheads:

Memorial Day was established in 1868 to honor Civil War soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the Union and give us the freedoms we cherish. Since that date, over one million American servicemen and women have died in this nation's wars.

The link below is a poignant reminder of the brave men and women who gave us their lives so that you and I can live in a free and prosperous society.

He Was Just A Common Soldier

Best wishes.
Taylor
101st Airborne Division, World War II
Every day is Memorial Day.
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
Torino

Re: Memorial Day - 2023

Post by Torino »

Taylor-

Thank you for your service and all you have done to make the world better in the decades since.

I just finished reading Henry Langrehr 2020 memoir about his time in France, as a 19 year old paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne, Whatever It Took, (cowritten by Jim DeFelice). He jumped on D-Day near Utah and spend time as a prisoner working in the mines before escaping.