2 nights left after Lyon France

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
linuxology

2 nights left after Lyon France

Post by linuxology »

Making our way south. We have two nights left before needing to head back to Paris. This is in November, so weather is no doubt a factor on some of the destinations and we plan to take a train. We have selected Geneva, Marseille, and Annecy, but open to anything that makes sense.
theplayer11

Re: 2 nights left after Lyon France

Post by theplayer11 »

we enjoyed Avignon
AerialP

Post by AerialP »

Geneva is amazing...BUT...I personally would go back to Annecy in half a heartbeat. Especially if one of your days is concurrent with their otherworldly farmer's market lined all up and down the river as it passes through their old downtown.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

We drove from Nice to Paris once and thoroughly loved our evening and night in Beaune. I assume it’s reachable by train…
StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin »

Marseille and Geneva/Annecy are in completely different directions relative to Lyon. You probably know that already. Maybe you can make the logistics work but it seems like you'll spend a lot of extra time traveling in order to cover both north and south from Lyon.

When I went to Provence I visited Avignon and Nimes, and skipped Marseille. (With hops to see the Pont du Gard, the beach at Saint-Maries-de-la-Mer, and the ruins at Les Baux de Provence but I'm not sure how accessible those places would be by train.) I liked the Roman stuff in Nimes in particular. That southern area is going to b decent weather-wise in November. Certainly not overly cold anyway.

In the northern direction Annecy is quaint and Geneva has its charms -- the lake, the Jet D'eau. If you're into that kind of thing, consider going out to the suburbs to visit CERN, the world's largest particle physics laboratory. My favorite thing about the area is the Alps but probably not practical for your itinerary or time of year. I've never been to Grenoble but that's another city in the vicinity.

Lyon is fabulous by the way. Gastronomic capital of France. Enjoy!
camden

Post by camden »

Many great possibilities depending on your interests, but as a history addict I would second the suggestion of a day in Avignon.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

I loved Annecy, but it's not exactly on the way between Lyon and Paris. The Bourgogne might be a better alternative, especially if you enjoy wine. I wouldn't want to waste too much time in transit from Lyon > Marseille > Paris or Lyon > Geneva > Paris, if I understand correctly.

But then, I would probably spend the extra two days eating my way thought Lyon. We're more into slow travel though.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

You could head north from Lyon to Reims and Champagne country. Reims Cathedral, Champagne caves, nice downtown with the Palace of Tau, etc. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
Or, northeast to Strasbourg with nearby Colmar.
Or, east to Chamonix, but there might be some issues with snow.