HD TV & "looks fake"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Valuethinker

HD TV & "looks fake"

Post by Valuethinker »

For various reasons, I have not had a TV in a long time. We stream programmes and watch them on the laptop (or, shock horror, use DVDs -- it's quite an old laptop).

I was in a North American hotel recently, which had what I took to be a very up to date, high definition TV. Usual 30 cable channels with nothing to watch except the odd old episode of Star Trek (The Original Series).

And things looked .. horrible. The regular (new) TV shows.

TCM (Turner Channel Movies) the movies looked different - All the President's Men (1974?). Not worse, however, just different. Some of the shots (eg the canonical shots of the busy Washington Post newsroom) looked better.

I am trying to decide what it was that I am seeing that I found difficult. I think it is that there is much higher resolution, so the foreground characters are seen in a detail that they were never filmed at? So for example the makeup really shows. Also, however the backgrounds looked somehow detached from the foreground.

I am trying to discover whether this is a "me" thing-- not staying up to date with technology. Or whether there is something about the higher resolution and/or depth perception of the shows and films I was watching - they weren't filmed in that high a definition, and so when shown in it, they just don't look right?

(I learned that with the problem of not being able to hear dialogue in films in theatres, it is not just "my old ears". It's become a quite noticeable problem for many movie goers).
student

Re: HD TV & "looks fake"

Post by student »

This is the soap opera effect because of some processing. You can turn it off.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Were you standing in front of the TV or sitting on the end of the bed when noticing this phenomenon?
Larger TVs usually need to be viewed at a distance, my TV looks weird if I get too close.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

It sounds like the TV may have had motion smoothing on. Many TVs come with it on by default, and it looks terrible.

https://www.vulture.com/article/how-to- ... ur-tv.html
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

student wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:20 am This is the soap opera effect because of some processing. You can turn it off.
Thank you. "Soap opera effect" is a good way of describing it.
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Millennial wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:41 am It sounds like the TV may have had motion smoothing on. Many TVs come with it on by default, and it looks terrible.

https://www.vulture.com/article/how-to- ... ur-tv.html
Thank you. I shall investigate.
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

MGBMartin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:33 am Were you standing in front of the TV or sitting on the end of the bed when noticing this phenomenon?
Larger TVs usually need to be viewed at a distance, my TV looks weird if I get too close.
That might be part of it, but I hadn't noticed it, staying at that hotel, in previous years.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Sounds like a “me” thing.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Most tvs have the brightness set way too high and things look very unrealistic compared to real life.

Older shows sometimes are stretched to fill a tv screen instead of being letter boxed and proportions are inaccurate.

Depending on the provider often various compressing methods are used to reduce bandwidth and things get a bit messed up. One reason why a simple antenna to receive over the air channels provide the best picture if where you live receives OTA channels.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Watty

Post by Watty »

There are at least dozens of settings which could cause the picture to look bad which a prior guest, or there kids, may have changed.

The hotel may have been using a cheaper cable system which was not giving the TV a high resolution image. Those would look much worse than the DVD or streaming that you have been watching on your laptop.

Older shows like the original Star Trek series were shot to fit the old style TV screen shape which had a 4:3 aspect ratio which was almost square and the new HD TVs are much wider with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. This means that show an old Star Trek show on a HD TV they will need to either leave black bars on the since of the TV screen or stretch the image to fit which looks odd at best.

The old special effects on a show like Star Trek were made to be shown on maybe a 25 to 32 inch standard resolution TV and they also do not hold up well when shown in high resolution on a huge HD TV. This can also be a problem with makeup like you mentioned.

Even at in a stores showroom the TVs often look terrible to me because they sometimes intentionally set the color saturation too high to make the demonstration images "pop" and stand out which looks unnatural.
cjking

Post by cjking »

I don't think it's you, I agree with those saying it was the TV settings.

I have an OLED TV. and the picture quality is awesome. However when taking delivery of a new TV, I know to turn off all video processing designed to "improve" the picture, and to set the brightness/contrast/etc profile to the correct profile. On most TV's "cinema" is a good profile.

I have in the past received a brand new, very expensive TV, and found the quality out of the box to be horrible. Corrected in seconds by making the aforementioned changes. (Can't remember if it was my current one or the previous that made such a bad first impression.)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

We don't watch a lot of TV. About half of it is over-the-air digital, great when the channel is actually HDTV. (The rest is streaming Internet video via WiFi from a 300 mbps service, and we see lots of defects in that and don't care about them).

Our kids have Comcast, i.e. this isn't in a hotel, and what I notice on it, often, is "plastic skin." The characters look just a little bit like dolls, or airbrushed, or ten-year-old CGI. I assume it is come kind of compression artifact and that it comes from compression that is much cleverer than the kind that creates pixellation and blockiness. But I don't know. It's confusing because the "plastic skin" only occurs in between all kinds of sharp little details. It's as if it is saying "we mustn't remove spots, but we don't need to reproduce the pores in between?"

But of course hotels are not the best. I remember many eons ago, late 1950s, when color TV was still a luxury, staying in a hotel in New York--the Tuscany--which apparently still exists--which bragged of having color TV in every room. (Before that become a "motel thing.") Big, heavy, 21" RCA TVs with circular-tube-with-top-and-bottom-sliced-off, and a screen that looked pale grey before you turned the TV on. The best things on it were watching the colored confetti snow between stations, and cartoons (where you didn't really care that the flesh tones were purple on one side of the screen and green on the other). On live TV, everything had the R, G, and B images out of register, and the color balance would have gross changes from program to commercial and next program. It was great!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
cjking

Post by cjking »

Although old TV shows make look bad due to the resolution they were filmed with, there's no reason movies should look particularly bad. Footage on film can be rescanned at modern resolutions.

On Youtube you can see some scenes from a recently digitalised version of "Zulu" where the picture quality is, in some senses, awesome. In addition to a high resolution and frame rate, from memory I think they've digitally removed all the blemishes to make it an improvement on the film source. But some people do complain they've overdone the processing. The immaculate redness of the soldiers uniforms does sometimes look a bit unrealistic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPegFguqR8o
RJC

Post by RJC »

I believe this is because of the new TV refresh rates (60 vs 120Hz). I find 120Hz rate too much like soap operas and use it only for live sports. 60Hz is what I use for movies and shows. There should be a menu option to switch between the two.
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

cjking wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:41 am I don't think it's you, I agree with those saying it was the TV settings.

I have an OLED TV. and the picture quality is awesome. However when taking delivery of a new TV, I know to turn off all video processing designed to "improve" the picture, and to set the brightness/contrast/etc profile to the correct profile. On most TV's "cinema" is a good profile.

I have in the past received a brand new, very expensive TV, and found the quality out of the box to be horrible. Corrected in seconds by making the aforementioned changes. (Can't remember if it was my current one or the previous that made such a bad first impression.)
You won't remember but moving from North America to Europe in the age of analog TV was... a shock. The picture was so much better on the PAL (German & British) system than NTSC (American).

It does sound like it is the video processing.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Agree with it being the video processing.

DS recently returned home for a while and brought a TV with him. It is bigger than the one DW has in the den/kitchen area that she watches during the day so they replaced that one. I can not stand the picture on the "new' one when I walk through primarily due to the soap opera effect, but they haven't complained about it. They are going to be gone for a couple of days, and I intend to do some tinkering with the settings. They may or may not notice, but it should no longer annoy me when I pass through or sit down in there for a few minutes.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Its the higher frame rate aka refresh rate.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

As others have said, look at the input, bandwidth or cable signal. Then the TV settings. Then the room lighting and distance. Some very high resolution TVs actually look better closer than others. Don’t be reluctant to change any of those elements to your preference.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Old show don’t look that good on a new tv since they were not shot in high definition ( many more pixels).. So the tv attempts to make the picture better may not succeed.

Newer content looks really goid on my tv and I have 2006 tv.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

You can typically find out how to adjust your exact TV with a quick YouTube or internet search. They can walk you through the menus so you can get the motion smoothing, or whatever your brand might call it, turned off.

They will also walk you through dialing in the picture for exactly how you want it.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

It looks like you're in the room with them instead of watching on a screen, right? Like it's a play, and not a movie/show. Really showcases bad acting / dialogue that is normally otherwise mostly successfully hidden.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney »

On better TVs motion interpolation has multiple settings, not just off and on. I use moderate interpolation on my Sony TV because otherwise, there is obnoxious flicker on film (24fps) content - most apparent in scenes with high contrast and camera movement.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Original series Star Trek implemented (then) state of the art signal processing to make Shatner look thinner in later seasons. Probably conflicts with upscaling resolution and frame rate.

:twisted:
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

Tom Cruise did a PSA about this a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/UbCZpcy0eAk
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

Some older shows were filmed in high resolution, but mixed down to "TV resolution" at the time.

And when they rebroadcast them now, they use the high resolution footage, but since it wasn't designed for it, you can see tons of imperfections that were hidden by the lower TV resolutions of yore.

But it sounds like you're getting upscaling processing or other TV trickery; I've noticed it here and there (sometimes the show provider has done it for you and you can't turn it off).
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Valuethinker wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:44 am
student wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:20 am This is the soap opera effect because of some processing. You can turn it off.
Yep - you see it really often in stores where TV's are displayed - they do that deliberately. It reminds me of how shows and music videos looked like back in 80's that were filmed on videotape vs. photographic film.

Cheers
onourway

Post by onourway »

dumbmoney wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:19 pm On better TVs motion interpolation has multiple settings, not just off and on. I use moderate interpolation on my Sony TV because otherwise, there is obnoxious flicker on film (24fps) content - most apparent in scenes with high contrast and camera movement.
All decent modern tv's offer 120hz refresh rate which (with proper settings) eliminates this problem. Most films and higher-end tv content is shot at 24fps. 'Normal' tv is often shot at 30fps. A typical inexpensive or older 60hz tv will have to convert 24fps content into a 3:2 cadence where every other frame is displayed three times. If all motion smoothing is off, it will typically look 'better' but have judder in panning shots also noticeable with lots of motion. Motion smoothing 'interpolates' these frames rather than tripling them, but ends up making the content look un-natural (soap-opera effect).

A 120hz tv properly configured can handle all frame rates natively without having to interpolate or add frames to any one of them.
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:29 pm Original series Star Trek implemented (then) state of the art signal processing to make Shatner look thinner in later seasons. Probably conflicts with upscaling resolution and frame rate.

Puzzled. There wasn't signal processing in the late 1960s? At least not that could be done to an analog medium - film. ST The Original Series was shot straight to film.

Did you mean when Star Trek was finally released to DVD? Late 1990s-early 2000s?

The re-release of ST The Original Series included much more "realistic" space shots, orbiting planets etc. I think it's something of a travesty which raises my hackles.

George Lucas of course did worse with his digital re-release of the original Star Wars Trilogy. Actually changed a couple of key points #HanShotFirst etc.
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

dcabler wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:42 am
Valuethinker wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:44 am
Yep - you see it really often in stores where TV's are displayed - they do that deliberately. It reminds me of how shows and music videos looked like back in 80's that were filmed on videotape vs. photographic film.

Cheers
Yes. Like Soap opers in the 1980s that were shot to video tape. That's a good way of describing it.
Glomar

Post by Glomar »

It's motion smoothing - if you google the brand/model and "motion smoothing" you should be able to find the setting to turn it off
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

OP, this is in my wheelhouse so I'll comment. Many posters have already touched on what you are seeing. Most have given accurate information but I will try to clarify.
The motion picture film standard of 24 (25 in various other countries) fps has a very specific cadence. It's above the threshold of persistence of vision but below the threshold of transparency (somewhere between 60 fps-72 fps for most people) The viewer is treated to a look that is not quite reality, but pleasing. An even more "dreamlike" look is old silent films properly projected at 16 fps (not 24 fps, as is often mistakenly done and results in "ye olde sped up walking" effect) The human mind fills in the frames and it's a different experience than real life.
It's not strictly motion picture film- this is very often true for digitally shot content as well. Because of this pleasing effect, in the late 1990s and early 2000s, video camera manufacturers were urged by directors, cinematographers, and other professionals to come up with digital cameras that could shoot at 24 fps (really 23.98 but I won't muddy the waters by discussing the tech details) Prior to that, most electronic cameras shot at a fixed 30 fps (really 29.97), but captured and broadcast at 60 interlaced fields per second (yawn, I could explain why but it's Bogleheads, not TV Technology Magazine) The effect is much more "live" looking; the news, soap operas, and many sitcoms shot on video show this effect. Take a look at "Full House" versus "Cheers"- two sitcoms of the same era. "Full House" was shot on video, "Cheers" on film. Daytime soaps like "General Hospital" were shot on video, nighttime soaps like "Dynasty" were shot on film. See if you can spot the difference.
If you see motion picture film projected in a theater (rare these days) you are watching 48 images per second, but it's just a "butterfly" shutter in the projector showing each frame twice in quick succession. You are still seeing 24 distinct frames per second. Your mind is still "filling in" frames.
In the days of analog TV, film was transferred to video by sampling each frame once per field (60 per second) of two fields per second, with various "third" fields being given a film frame. This "3:2 pulldown" process kept the cadence of film but made it fit into the 30 (really 60) "containers" per second in video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down
In the HD/ digital era, what many of these TV manufacturers have done is to use modern computing power to interpolate frames that are not really there, as well as show each frame multiple times (like a film projector but several times more per frame) 120 fps and 240 fps are often shown. The result is very smooth motion and continuity and fluidity of action, but the complete loss of the dream like quality a lower refresh rate gives...
Thus "The Soap Opera Effect"...
Several camera manufacturers offer an option to shoot at a true 48 fps, for projection at 48 fps, but by a simple post process of dropping every other frame, offer 24 fps deliverables as well. Peter Jackson did this for "The Hobbit" but distributed in 24 fps after initial screenings yielded bad audience reviews.
Interestingly, younger people I've polled, many of whom who grew up playing high-refresh rate video games, seem to not be able to tell the difference, or actually prefer the "smooth" motion of the higher frame rate TVs.
I think it's dreadful. Just my opinion though.
Cheers
Last edited by Harry Livermore on Mon May 29, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Thank you. That was fascinating and had just enough detail for me to deal with at 8:20 a.m.

My wife says it's time for me to let the air out of the tires and go to the beach. We just got to Ocracoke yesterday evening on the Swan Quarter ferry.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:08 am
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:29 pm Original series Star Trek implemented (then) state of the art signal processing to make Shatner look thinner in later seasons. Probably conflicts with upscaling resolution and frame rate.

Puzzled. There wasn't signal processing in the late 1960s? At least not that could be done to an analog medium - film. ST The Original Series was shot straight to film.

Did you mean when Star Trek was finally released to DVD? Late 1990s-early 2000s?

The re-release of ST The Original Series included much more "realistic" space shots, orbiting planets etc. I think it's something of a travesty which raises my hackles.

George Lucas of course did worse with his digital re-release of the original Star Wars Trilogy. Actually changed a couple of key points #HanShotFirst etc.
Sorry - this was supposed to be a joke about Shatner’s weight gain during the show’s run.

https://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.com/ ... m.html?m=1

I do recall the show’s use of soft focus/ Vaseline on the lens for some actresses and the “soft” version of Kirk when he had a doppelgänger.
clp21

Post by clp21 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1nUCyC8hGA

Another video about it that I found interesting.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Setting the TV to theater or movie mode is the first place to start. Most TV’s arrive with the picture set so that it stands out in a store, which is not what you want in a hotel or your home.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

clp21 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:53 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1nUCyC8hGA

Another video about it that I found interesting.
Here is a tv reviewer that I follow that had a funnyish video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFt746TJu0

OP, there are lots of settings are left on by default on some tvs that should be turned off. My understanding is that those settings are left on with the assumption that you are viewing either a crappy source or in bad lighting conditions.
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Harry Livermore wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am OP, this is in my wheelhouse so I'll comment. Many posters have already touched on what you are seeing. Most have given accurate information but I will try to clarify.
The motion picture film standard of 24 (25 in various other countries) fps has a very specific cadence. It's above the threshold of persistence of vision but below the threshold of transparency (somewhere between 60 fps-72 fps for most people) The viewer is treated to a look that is not quite reality, but pleasing. An even more "dreamlike" look would is old silent films properly projected at 16 fps (not 24 fps, as is often mistakenly done and results in "ye olde sped up walking" effect) The human mind fills in the frames and it's a different experience than real life.
It's not strictly motion picture film- this is very often true for digitally shot content as well. Because of this pleasing effect, in the late 1990s and early 2000s, video camera manufacturers were urged by directors, cinematographers, and other professionals to come up with digital cameras that could shoot at 24 fps (really 23.98 but I won't muddy the waters by discussing the tech details) Prior to that, most electronic cameras shot at a fixed 30 fps (really 29.97), but captured and broadcast at 60 interlaced fields per second (yawn, I could explain why but it's Bogleheads, not TV Technology Magazine) The effect is much more "live" looking; the news, soap operas, and many sitcoms shot on video show this effect. Take a look at "Full House" versus "Cheers"- two sitcoms of the same era. "Full House" was shot on video, "Cheers" on film. Daytime soaps like "General Hospital" were shot on video, nighttime soaps like "Dynasty" were shot on film. See if you can spot the difference.
If you see motion picture film projected in a theater (rare these days) you are watching 48 images per second, but it's just a "butterfly" shutter in the projector showing each frame twice in quick succession. You are still seeing 24 distinct frames per second. Your mind is still "filling in" frames.
In the days of analog TV, film was transferred to video by sampling each frame once per field (60 per second) of two fields per second, with various "third" fields being given a film frame. This "3:2 pulldown" process kept the cadence of film but made it fit into the 30 (really 60) "containers" per second in video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down
In the HD/ digital era, what many of these TV manufacturers have done is to use modern computing power to interpolate frames that are not really there, as well as show each frame multiple times (like a film projector but several times more per frame) 120 fps and 240 fps are often shown. The result is very smooth motion and continuity and fluidity of action, but the complete loss of the dream like quality a lower refresh rate gives...
Thus "The Soap Opera Effect"...
Several camera manufacturers offer an option to shoot at a true 48 fps, for projection at 48 fps, but by a simple post process of dropping every other frame, offer 24 fps deliverables as well. Peter Jackson did this for "The Hobbit" but distributed in 24 fps after initial screenings yielded bad audience reviews.
Interestingly, younger people I've polled, many of whom who grew up playing high-refresh rate video games, seem to not be able to tell the difference, or actually prefer the "smooth" motion of the higher frame rate TVs.
Cheers
Why I post on Bogleheads - edition number 213...

There is always someone who knows a huge amount about some obscure subject (well, obscure to me, at least ;-)).

Thank you. Fascinating. I have not digested it all at first read, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

"General Hospital" v "Dynasty" is a comparison I can make in my mind. I certainly knew Cheers, but not the other one.
Another interesting comment about how tastes change, and one becomes obsolete. Maybe they will create an AI driven avatar of me, to complain about TV pictures, for reference by future historians ;-).

3D in cinema doesn't really do it for me either.
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:47 am
Valuethinker wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:08 am

Sorry - this was supposed to be a joke about Shatner’s weight gain during the show’s run.

https://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.com/ ... m.html?m=1

I do recall the show’s use of soft focus/ Vaseline on the lens for some actresses and the “soft” version of Kirk when he had a doppelgänger.
Apologies. It's partly me, and partly the internet, that irony does not always come across clearly.

My (British) spouse would say it is mostly me ;-).

Interesting point about "soft focus".

For a while there in the early 1970s Shatner was very hard up (even sleeping in his car?). He made a number of commercials for Presidents' Choice, the leading store own-brand groceries in Canada (Loblaw's). And in particular for their (delectable) chocolate chip cookies... no wonder if he was paid in kind? "By gosh the price is right" became something of a Shatner tagline (in Canada).

He starred in some Made for TV films like "The 10th Level" (about a psychologist conducting dubious experiments) and "The People" (based on the Zenna Henderson novels about an Appalachian Valley where the survivors of an alien race, with telekinetic powers, hide themselves away -- quite powerful metaphors about race and persecution).
Topic Author
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

I do wish Roger Ebert of "Sneak Previews" and "Siskel and Ebert at the Movies" was alive to have commented on this.

A man who loved movies, and for the right reasons.
dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney »

onourway wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:00 am
dumbmoney wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:19 pm On better TVs motion interpolation has multiple settings, not just off and on. I use moderate interpolation on my Sony TV because otherwise, there is obnoxious flicker on film (24fps) content - most apparent in scenes with high contrast and camera movement.
All decent modern tv's offer 120hz refresh rate which (with proper settings) eliminates this problem. Most films and higher-end tv content is shot at 24fps. 'Normal' tv is often shot at 30fps. A typical inexpensive or older 60hz tv will have to convert 24fps content into a 3:2 cadence where every other frame is displayed three times. If all motion smoothing is off, it will typically look 'better' but have judder in panning shots also noticeable with lots of motion. Motion smoothing 'interpolates' these frames rather than tripling them, but ends up making the content look un-natural (soap-opera effect).

A 120hz tv properly configured can handle all frame rates natively without having to interpolate or add frames to any one of them.
Judder is a different issue. The best displays actually have the worst flicker problem, since they don't have (as much) innate smearing of motion. Mild motion interpolation tames the flicker while preserving "film look".
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

An entirely useless but interesting thing about frame rate is that, back in 60 fps days, our pets couldn’t “see” television as a motion picture; it was more like being at a disco with strobe lights for them. Modern TVs have now got pets watching differently.
A phenomenon known as flicker fusion, we require 15-20 frames per second (fps) while dogs require 70 fps and cats require about 100 fps.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:07 pm An entirely useless but interesting thing about frame rate is that, back in 60 fps days, our pets couldn’t “see” television as a motion picture; it was more like being at a disco with strobe lights for them. Modern TVs have now got pets watching differently.
A phenomenon known as flicker fusion, we require 15-20 frames per second (fps) while dogs require 70 fps and cats require about 100 fps.
Wait, what?!?!
So if I get rid of our plasma sets and replace them with older TVs our dogs will quit barking and lunging at the screen when a dog, wolf, horse, cattle, or various animations appear on the screen?

Be right back! I'm off to check Craigslist for old TVs.
jjj_22

Post by jjj_22 »

Neither my partner nor I have had a regular TV for 15 or 20 years (it's all been computer screens and projector screens).

We both experience the same thing you seem to when we are somewhere else and newer model TVs are on. Things seem to look crisper and more contrasty and saturated than seems "natural" -- like the TV looks more vivid than real life, which makes it look "fake" in way -- and it weirds us both out a little. I think it's just a consequence of not having gotten used to the new look of the high resolution.

Anyway, you are not alone :beer
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:43 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:07 pm An entirely useless but interesting thing about frame rate is that, back in 60 fps days, our pets couldn’t “see” television as a motion picture; it was more like being at a disco with strobe lights for them. Modern TVs have now got pets watching differently.
Wait, what?!?!
So if I get rid of our plasma sets and replace them with older TVs our dogs will quit barking and lunging at the screen when a dog, wolf, horse, cattle, or various animations appear on the screen?

Be right back! I'm off to check Craigslist for old TVs.
Haha. Yeah. Or get a different dog (kidding! I’m kidding!). Our old big dog (best dog ever, deeply missed) would watch TV with us, and never got crazy when animals showed up (although she was a sucker for equestrian events). Our smaller dog does not seem to have figured out that we don’t need to be warned about an animal on TV.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

Watty wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:33 am
Older shows like the original Star Trek series were shot to fit the old style TV screen shape which had a 4:3 aspect ratio which was almost square and the new HD TVs are much wider with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio.
This annoys me about laptops. I have some old almost square screen ones, and things often just don''t display as well on the newer sideways elongated/height squished down ones. I'm not talking about films, but websites where things that scroll result in tiny areas, etc. Why are these being sold?
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Valuethinker wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:17 am For various reasons, I have not had a TV in a long time. We stream programmes and watch them on the laptop (or, shock horror, use DVDs -- it's quite an old laptop).

I was in a North American hotel recently, which had what I took to be a very up to date, high definition TV. Usual 30 cable channels with nothing to watch except the odd old episode of Star Trek (The Original Series).

And things looked .. horrible. The regular (new) TV shows.

TCM (Turner Channel Movies) the movies looked different - All the President's Men (1974?). Not worse, however, just different. Some of the shots (eg the canonical shots of the busy Washington Post newsroom) looked better.

I am trying to decide what it was that I am seeing that I found difficult. I think it is that there is much higher resolution, so the foreground characters are seen in a detail that they were never filmed at? So for example the makeup really shows. Also, however the backgrounds looked somehow detached from the foreground.

I am trying to discover whether this is a "me" thing-- not staying up to date with technology. Or whether there is something about the higher resolution and/or depth perception of the shows and films I was watching - they weren't filmed in that high a definition, and so when shown in it, they just don't look right?

(I learned that with the problem of not being able to hear dialogue in films in theatres, it is not just "my old ears". It's become a quite noticeable problem for many movie goers).
Had the same experience with my first nice TV. It's a setting you can adjust to your preference.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course