Counter Top Coffee Roasting

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KlangFool

Re: Counter Top Coffee Roasting

Post by KlangFool »

gips wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:42 am
KlangFool wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:18 pm Yes. I roast coffee in my garage with the garage door open instead.

KlangFool
I wondered out loud to my wife why she doesn't have a smoke alarm problem when roasting in our kitchen, she thought two factors were at play:
- she roasts btw blonde and city, so a light-ish roast.
- we're friends with our local roaster and he suggested instead of following freshroast's directions that she roast on the lowest setting for an extended period of time (10 mins for her).

best,
gips,

Would she mind sharing her roasting recipe?

And, which fresh roast? 800? 540?

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

lazydavid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:03 pm
tetractys wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:10 pm Maybe a roasting machine would be good for someone needing large amounts to give away; but I think it would be a waste for personal use. I mean you’d have to store the extra for several days which doesn’t seem like a good idea to me—May as well buy instant.
I find coffee tastes the best 3-10 days after roasting. It takes a couple of days to outgas and let the flavors settle after the violent chemical and physical changes brought about by the roasting process. It's definitely drinkable the next day, but it improves pretty dramatically after a few days' rest. At around the 2-week mark it starts to taste stale.
So if I can get Peets roasted coffee online that is only a few days out from its roasting date, would there be much of a benefit from home roasting? I sometimes subscribe to their coffee bean mail order service and notice that the roast date is always within 7 days, often less than that. They seem to be committed to only shipping freshly roasted stuff, sometimes delaying the shipment if necessary.

As an aside, I used to live in a place where the coffee is roasted in big woks right off the street. Every morning on my walk to the bus stop the aroma filled the air. It smelled wonderful. I never checked to see if they were using these roasted beans right away though.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

vfinx wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:52 am So if I can get Peets roasted coffee online that is only a few days out from its roasting date, would there be much of a benefit from home roasting? I sometimes subscribe to their coffee bean mail order service and notice that the roast date is always within 7 days, often less than that. They seem to be committed to only shipping freshly roasted stuff, sometimes delaying the shipment if necessary.
The quality of coffee roasts varies considerably. Some roasters, and roasts, are simply better than others.

I do weekly roasts with a CBR-101. I'd say I get results that are as good as or better than 70-80% of what is available through mail order services for significantly less money. I can't touch the other 20-30%.

That said, in the overall hierarchy of equipment, a dedicated home roaster comes after a good grinder and machine.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:48 am
KlangFool wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:18 pm Yes. I roast coffee in my garage with the garage door open instead.

KlangFool
I wondered out loud to my wife why she doesn't have a smoke alarm problem when roasting in our kitchen, she thought two factors were at play:
- we're friends with our local roaster and he suggested instead of following freshroast's directions that she roast on the lowest setting for an extended period of time (10 mins for her).

best,
gips,

KlangFool
The instructions on RoastRebels are good bets. I'm working through a 5kg bag of Honduran Copán at the moment. Haven't had an issue with excess smoke.

I do roast in my garage, however. I also don't take my roasts past the second crack.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

vfinx wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:52 am So if I can get Peets roasted coffee online that is only a few days out from its roasting date, would there be much of a benefit from home roasting? I sometimes subscribe to their coffee bean mail order service and notice that the roast date is always within 7 days, often less than that. They seem to be committed to only shipping freshly roasted stuff, sometimes delaying the shipment if necessary.
I think the point of "freshness" is worth exploring. I use 21-25 grams of coffee beans a day. So it takes me about 3 weeks to use a pound of coffee beans. So I typically keep it stored, airtight, in the freezer with a maximum of about a weeks worth of coffee in the vacuum container on the counter. If I were to switch to home roasting, I could probably eliminate the freezer and have fresh roasted coffee daily (beans roasted weekly). Can't get much fresher than that.

I'll just have to see if I'm any good at it.
"Better is the enemy of good." Good is good.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

vfinx wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:52 am
So if I can get Peets roasted coffee online that is only a few days out from its roasting date, would there be much of a benefit from home roasting?
vfinx,

If you believe Peets roasted coffee is good enough for you, you can ordered coffee from coffeeam.com. Their coffee are freshly roasted and depending on where you are, it arrives in 3 to 5 days. Or, you can get Mother Earth Coffee from Costco.com. They are freshly roasted and ship to you directly.

I roast 2 X 150g coffee per week. I only consume 20g to 40g of coffee per day. So, I give most of my roasted coffee away. I have 20+ types of green coffee beans at home. I get to taste new and freshly roasted coffee every day.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

lazydavid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:03 pm
tetractys wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:10 pm Maybe a roasting machine would be good for someone needing large amounts to give away; but I think it would be a waste for personal use. I mean you’d have to store the extra for several days which doesn’t seem like a good idea to me—May as well buy instant.
I find coffee tastes the best 3-10 days after roasting. It takes a couple of days to outgas and let the flavors settle after the violent chemical and physical changes brought about by the roasting process. It's definitely drinkable the next day, but it improves pretty dramatically after a few days' rest. At around the 2-week mark it starts to taste stale.
What one actually likes is largely subjective of course, a mixture of genetics, vagrant honesty, leanings to marketing forces, other influences, etc.

I like the whole experience and flavor freshly mortar and pestle ground hot out of the steel pan with company. Otherwise instant dark Mexican is good. I’m just not one for extra gizmos that add little and detract a lot.
international001

Post by international001 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:39 pm
I roast 2 X 150g coffee per week. I only consume 20g to 40g of coffee per day. So, I give most of my roasted coffee away. I have 20+ types of green coffee beans at home. I get to taste new and freshly roasted coffee every day.
I thought bogleheads were allow to have only 3 types
YoungLion

Post by YoungLion »

I roast inside with a window open. FreshRoast SR 800. A fan of City (-) to City roast. Smoke alarms don't go off, but definitely light smoke. I can't imagine the smoke generated by a Full City (+) or French roast indoors.
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

I have been roasting my own since the mid-90's starting with an air popcorn popper. I went from there to Hearthware, Caffe Rosto, Behmor, heatgun/dogbowl and finally the Zippy stainless steel stovetop popcorn popper. I roast in the house under the vent hood and roast two pounds of green coffee beans per batch, which lasts us two weeks. I buy almost all of my coffee from the Green Coffee Co-op or Wholesale Origin and typically pay around $7 to 7.50 per pound including shipping and I buy my beans in ten pound allotments. At any one time, I typically have around 50 pounds of green coffee beans in a plastic tub in the garage.
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

Ymmv but I didn’t find it worth the hassle, in the sense that sure, what I was roasting is better than Peet’s, but not better than the best local roasteries. And the money saved got wiped out by the time sink. False economy. If you enjoy and are good at it, more power to you.
gips

Post by gips »

KlangFool

best,
gips,

KlangFool
sr 450
- roast 10 mins on low temp, fan on highest setting
- when c indicator is lit, change temp to "C" (cool)
- once machine turns off, lets sit for five minutes, place beans in mesh strainer, gently shakes to separate chaff, places beans in coffee cannister
- uses beans 24 hours later
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

KlangFool wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:50 am OP,

It will not work. The smoke from coffee roasting will trigger your smoke alarm.

KlangFool
I roast my coffee in my kitchen without triggering anything. I place the roaster under the range hood to vent the smoke. I also only roast the coffee light to medium so smoke is not a big concern. In fact, it like how it makes my house smell.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

gips wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:48 pm

KlangFool

best,
gips,

KlangFool
sr 450
- roast 10 mins on low temp, fan on highest setting
- when c indicator is lit, change temp to "C" (cool)
- once machine turns off, lets sit for five minutes, place beans in mesh strainer, gently shakes to separate chaff, places beans in coffee cannister
- uses beans 24 hours later
Thanks.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

JS-Elcano wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:57 pm

KlangFool
I roast my coffee in my kitchen without triggering anything. I place the roaster under the range hood to vent the smoke. I also only roast the coffee light to medium so smoke is not a big concern. In fact, it like how it makes my house smell.
I guess your kitchen has a lot better ventilation system than I do.

KlangFool
gips

Post by gips »

KlangFool wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:16 pm
JS-Elcano wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:57 pm

KlangFool
I guess your kitchen has a lot better ventilation system than I do.

KlangFool
these differences around amt of smoke are odd, we have a range hood but my wife doesnt bother turning it on.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

KlangFool wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:55 pm gips,

That is wrong! At 17% weight loss, the coffee bean is burnt.

The weight loss range from City (12.7%) to Full City+(15.1%). At 16.6%, the coffee bean is burnt. I use fresh roast air roaster.

https://library.sweetmarias.com/sweet-m ... olor-card/

KlangFool
I roast to Full City or Full City+, and see a 16.9-17.6% weight loss every single time. I keep meticulous records. 1,000 grams of greens produces 824 - 831 grams of roasted coffee. I drop the moment second crack starts, which decidedly NOT burnt.
Last edited by lazydavid on Tue May 30, 2023 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:35 am
KlangFool wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:55 pm gips,

That is wrong! At 17% weight loss, the coffee bean is burnt.

The weight loss range from City (12.7%) to Full City+(15.1%). At 16.6%, the coffee bean is burnt. I use fresh roast air roaster.

https://library.sweetmarias.com/sweet-m ... olor-card/

KlangFool
I roast to Full City, and see a 16.9-17.6% weight loss every single time. I keep meticulous records. 1,000 grams of greens produces 824 - 831 grams of roasted coffee. I drop the moment second crack starts, which is Full City, NOT burnt.
Please specify the kind of roaster that you use. In my case, with fresh roaster sr800 and 150g, it max out at 16.9%.

KlangFool
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

KlangFool wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:13 am Please specify the kind of roaster that you use. In my case, with fresh roaster sr800 and 150g, it max out at 16.9%.

KlangFool
I did, upthread. I have been using the Aillio Bullet R1 for the past 3 years. It is a true drum roaster, sometimes called a "sample" roaster because of its smaller batch sizes, but is suitable for small-scale commercial roasting as well. Roasts are always exactly 1,000 g. I have roasted 161 kg, or 354 lbs using this roaster, so I am quite familiar with it.
Last edited by lazydavid on Tue May 30, 2023 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:15 am
KlangFool wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:13 am Please specify the kind of roaster that you use. In my case, with fresh roaster sr800 and 150g, it max out at 16.9%.

KlangFool
I did, upthread. I have been using the Aillio Bullet R1 for the past 3 years.
Thanks. I need to do more research. It does not seem like you are describing Full City roast.

KlangFool
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

KlangFool wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:16 pm I guess your kitchen has a lot better ventilation system than I do.
All range hoods aren't created equal. Some are vented outside. Some, like mine, are recirculating and just pull the air through a filter then pump it back into the kitchen. There's no way I could roast coffee in the house. I like a very dark roast, well into the second crack so I either do it out on the back porch or in my garage with the doors open.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

KlangFool wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:18 am

KlangFool
Thanks. I need to do more research. It does not seem like you are describing Full City roast.

KlangFool
I go by sound, not strictly by temperature, but most of my roasts have had an end temp between 212 - 219 C, with a few outliers on either side. This site describes that as Full City (210-221 C): https://thecaptainscoffee.com/pages/roast-levels Bean temps are measured with an infrared sensor inside the drum, and therefore should be extremely accurate.

And the resultant beans are darker than their example of City+, but lighter than their example of Full City+. I don't know why they didn't include a picture for Full City.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:39 am
KlangFool wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:18 am

KlangFool

KlangFool
I go by sound, not strictly by temperature, but most of my roasts have had an end temp between 212 - 219 C, with a few outliers on either side. This site describes that as Full City (210-221 C): https://thecaptainscoffee.com/pages/roast-levels Bean temps are measured with an infrared sensor inside the drum, and therefore should be extremely accurate.

And the resultant beans are darker than their example of City+, but lighter than their example of Full City+. I don't know why they didn't include a picture for Full City.
My understanding is second crack = Full City+.

KlangFool
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

KlangFool wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:52 am My understanding is second crack = Full City+.

KlangFool
So let's agree on that, as my intended roast is right on that dividing line between Full City and Full City+. If I am in fact roasting to Full City+, would you agree that my beans are in fact not burnt?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:08 am
KlangFool wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:52 am My understanding is second crack = Full City+.

KlangFool
So let's agree on that, as my intended roast is right on that dividing line between Full City and Full City+. If I am in fact roasting to Full City+, would you agree that my beans are in fact not burnt?
I agree that it is not burnt based on your roaster. With my roaster and at 150g batch, it could be burnt.

KlangFool
gips

Post by gips »

just thought I'd add a post here that over the course of our travels we've visited a couple of small towns where a person is roasting/selling out of their house. Not for us, but might be a side business for a retired bh.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

Hi guys - just wanted to thank you all for the comments on this thread. I ordered from Sweet Marias and have dialed in my air popper and have been enjoying fresh roasts now, roasting every 4 days. Seems like an infinite number of varieties to try over time. Enjoying the new hobby.

Thanks again.
MH2

Post by MH2 »

Nver2Late wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:43 am Hi guys - just wanted to thank you all for the comments on this thread. I ordered from Sweet Marias and have dialed in my air popper and have been enjoying fresh roasts now, roasting every 4 days. Seems like an infinite number of varieties to try over time. Enjoying the new hobby.

Thanks again.
Welcome to the club.

Entry costs are cheap. The annual fees are crazy.
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

Anther source for green beans:

https://www.ebay.com/str/vilarimports

I have been using this shop for a koupla years ... and did call him first to get a sense of reliability, etc. My latest was Honduran for a little over $6 per lb all in, 5lb bag. Order on Monday, delivered in 3-4 days.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

daleddm wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:32 am Anther source for green beans:

https://www.ebay.com/str/vilarimports

I have been using this shop for a koupla years ... and did call him first to get a sense of reliability, etc. My latest was Honduran for a little over $6 per lb all in, 5lb bag. Order on Monday, delivered in 3-4 days.
Thanks for the link. Another good option.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I buy my greens from two sources: 1) Green Coffee Buying Club, and 2) Burman Coffee Traders. The first one’s a coop and is cheaper than Sweet Maria’s but the beans are just as good. The second outfit has a wider selection and is from whom I bought my Behmor coffee roaster.
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:57 am I buy my greens from two sources: 1) Green Coffee Buying Club, and 2) Burman Coffee Traders. The first one’s a coop and is cheaper than Sweet Maria’s but the beans are just as good. The second outfit has a wider selection and is from whom I bought my Behmor coffee roaster.
Hello from a fellow co-op member.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

MH2 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:20 am
Nver2Late wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:43 am Hi guys - just wanted to thank you all for the comments on this thread. I ordered from Sweet Marias and have dialed in my air popper and have been enjoying fresh roasts now, roasting every 4 days. Seems like an infinite number of varieties to try over time. Enjoying the new hobby.

Thanks again.
Welcome to the club.

Entry costs are cheap. The annual fees are crazy.
MH2,

Would you mind explain a bit what do you mean by this?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Kaleido Sniper M2
international001

Post by international001 »

Any recommendations for an entry-level over the stove roaster?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

international001 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:37 pm Any recommendations for an entry-level over the stove roaster?
$79
https://www.sweetmarias.com/popper.html

$252 or $332
https://www.sweetmarias.com/air-roastin ... roast.html

KlangFool