Red Pocket Data Top Ups

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Red Pocket Data Top Ups

Post by LifeIsGood »

I rarely run out of data on my Red Pocket Verizon 1000 Minutes, Unlimited Texts & 1GB Data plan but did so this month. In the past you could purchase 100MB for $2 or 250MB for $5. Now the only options are 1GB for $10 or 2GB for $20. If you run out of data just before your monthly plan renews this becomes an expensive proposition. The other bad issue is that when you run out of data, you are no longer able to receive texts unless you're on wifi.
Looks like I'll be switching providers when my plan expires in July.
bberris

Re: Red Pocket Data Top Ups

Post by bberris »

I just switched to Mobile X. I use a data only plan but they also have unlimited minutes. Uses the Verizon network and good pricing. Service so far so good, but I've only used it 10 days.

The app tries to predict your usage but you can add data at any time. Data is $2.10 per Gb, with a $2.00 flat monthly charge + taxes. Unlimited minutes I think 4.50.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Go w/Tello
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

I switched from Red Pocket to US Mobile (Verizon).

Unlimited mins & texts, 2 GB data, fees+taxes = $13. You can top up data at $2/GB.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I use Visible (Verizon), unlimited everything, $25/mo until end of May, then $30/mo going forward) : https://www.visible.com/

I use phone's hotspot (1 device, throttled to 5Mbps) to connect home PC.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

You should be able to receive SMS text messages without cell data. Only MMS text messages require data, AFAIK.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

I just bought the $2 top up a few minutes ago on red pocket TMo. So I assume this is an issue on RP-Verizon only.

OTOH, red pocket *frequently* disconnects my phone at the end of a month even though I have an annual plan. Then, I have to waste 20-60 mins on the phone with them restoring it. Happens on all my 4 lines. I'm going to switch out as soon as I can, unfortunately.
exodusing

Post by exodusing »

There are lots of cheap data eSIMs that you can use if you run out of your regular phone data. I have a few GBs of data on a BNESIM that never expires that I used when I came close to running out of RedPocket data last month.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I loved the Red Pocket cheap eBay plan for $60/year. Loved the product, actually, and paying $5/mo for a cell phone - at the time my employer covered a work phone so I needed very little from my personal cell. I felt like I was Winning Against The Man. Unfortunately, Red Pocket customer service is absolutely atrocious, atrocious enough that I can easily understand spending a little more to go elsewhere where you can talk to a human in under 4 hours.

As for me, a combination of needs changing plus employer reimbursements changing plus some other circumstances led me to head back to Verizon.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Looks like Mobil X or US Mobil are my best bets. Thanks jayjayc and bberris ! I read about one complaint with US Mobil is that unless you're on one of their "Unlimited" plans the 5G speed is throttled. Anyone have any experience with that?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

If your phone supports eSIM/dual SIM you can just buy an eSIM for your data needs for the end of the month.

For example, Airalo sells a 7 day, 1GB US eSIM for $4.50.
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I was just going to pose this exact question. Yes, My iPhone 12 is supposed to support eSIMS. Thanks for the suggestion. Will this work fairly seamlessly with Redpocket Verizon after I'm out of RP data?
My annual plan with Redpocket expires in July so I'm still going to switch.
Jags4186 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:02 am If your phone supports eSIM/dual SIM you can just buy an eSIM for your data needs for the end of the month.

For example, Airalo sells a 7 day, 1GB US eSIM for $4.50.
bberris

Post by bberris »

You can use MobilX or any other sim as a supplemental data without changing plans assuming your phone supports two sims. The Pixel 6 allows one hard sim and one esim to run together. You just turn off one sim's mobile data (the one with the phone number.)
talzara

Post by talzara »

bberris wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:25 am You can use MobilX or any other sim as a supplemental data without changing plans assuming your phone supports two sims. The Pixel 6 allows one hard sim and one esim to run together. You just turn off one sim's mobile data (the one with the phone number.)
The OP has an iPhone 12, but it also supports dual SIM: one physical SIM and one eSIM.

The iPhone 13 and the Google Pixel 7 can use two eSIMs simultaneously. You don't need a physical SIM at all.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:37 am Looks like Mobil X or US Mobil are my best bets. Thanks jayjayc and bberris ! I read about one complaint with US Mobil is that unless you're on one of their "Unlimited" plans the 5G speed is throttled. Anyone have any experience with that?
Nope, I'm on a pooled plan with US Mobile, just checked, download on 5G (Verizon) is over 100Mbps.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

LifeIsGood wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:37 am Looks like Mobil X or US Mobil are my best bets. Thanks jayjayc and bberris ! I read about one complaint with US Mobil is that unless you're on one of their "Unlimited" plans the 5G speed is throttled. Anyone have any experience with that?
I'm on US Mobile (not unlimited) and have seen 500Mbps down while on 5G. I can't think of any reason why any carrier would throttle a limited data plan but not an unlimited plan.
bberris

Post by bberris »

:moneybag
I'm getting 48mB per sec on 5g. I'm on Mobil x limited plan. They will throttle your speed on an "unlimited" plan after a high consumption.
Last edited by bberris on Sun May 28, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

bberris wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:22 pm :moneybag
I'm only getting 8mB per sec on 5g. Mobil x That's supposed to be good enough for HD video.

So either I'm throttled or network congestion.
Or distance from tower. In my house I often get 1Mbps down, but if I walk a couple blocks it's 100Mbps.
Last edited by cacophony on Sun May 28, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bberris

Post by bberris »

I tried a different tester and got faster DL.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Deleted
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

bberris wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:27 pm I tried a different tester and got faster DL.
What's a different tester?
bberris

Post by bberris »

I mean I used the Ookla speed checker instead of whatever random one I tried first.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

exodusing wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:28 am There are lots of cheap data eSIMs that you can use if you run out of your regular phone data. I have a few GBs of data on a BNESIM that never expires that I used when I came close to running out of RedPocket data last month.
Oh wow, never knew about these cheap, non expiring data-only services. This is perfect!
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I've just purchased an Airalo eSIM. The setup is a bit complicated. I've got the data working but I'm unable to make outgoing calls. Support has been a bit slow during the holiday weekend. I'm still optimistic that this will solve my "out of data" problem.
falconsfan

Post by falconsfan »

IIR, Airola is a data only plan so to make calls you would have to use facetime or similar.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

LifeIsGood wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:13 am I've just purchased an Airalo eSIM. The setup is a bit complicated. I've got the data working but I'm unable to make outgoing calls. Support has been a bit slow during the holiday weekend. I'm still optimistic that this will solve my "out of data" problem.
You have to operate in dual sim mode. The airalo SIM is data only. When you activated the Airalo SIM it probably made you name it something like “Travel” or “work”. Set cellular voice as primary (red pocket) and cellular data as whatever you named the eSIM. You’ll know you’ve been successful because you’ll have two sets of “bars” in the top right corner.