Buy 2023 Honda Odyssey or wait for 2024 model?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Blue456

Buy 2023 Honda Odyssey or wait for 2024 model?

Post by Blue456 »

Here is our situation. We have a new baby on the way due in December 2023. We have two cars. The newer car will not be able to fit 3 kids. The older car is a 15-year-old minivan (Toyota Sienna) with no AC and driver door that doesn't close all the way resulting in cold or hot air leaking in. We have cash saved up so no loan of any kind would be involved. Additionally, we are planning a long road trip in March 2023. Essentially, it's time to get a new car.

We are not considering Toyota Sienna as we don't like how it looks and wait time is much longer than Honda.

Option A:
Honda Odyssey 2023. I would probably get the sports version as the elite version has DVD player and cabin talk which I don't need.

Pros:
- Good safety ratings
- Seems like current model has been around for awhile so should be reliable
- Gasoline only engine so should be more reliable than hybrid

Cons:
- The 2024 version looks nicer
- Not hybrid so fuel economy not as good

Option B.
Honda Odyssey 2024.

Pros:
- From the YouTube videos I watched looks like it maybe hybrid and completely redesigned.

Cons
- Unknown safety ratings
- Possible long wait time
- Possible reliability issues with completely newly redesigned model?

Nonexistent options C:
Toyota Sequoia
Cons only: Wait time per dealership is 12 months.

I am really torn. Please help me decide. Also if anyone has any idea how to get a Toyota Sequoia that's brand new base model without waiting 1 year or paying 10,000 over the MSRP then please let me know.

EDIT: Thanks for responses. We ended up buying Toyota Sienna after test driving both vehicles.
Last edited by Blue456 on Mon May 29, 2023 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
renter

Re: Buy 2023 Honda Odyssey or wait for 2024 model?

Post by renter »

I would go with the 2024 if the nicer look is important to you. Otherwise it will bother you for years and years every time you see the newer model on the road.
rob

Post by rob »

I always avoid the first model after a redesign.... I'd do 23 or 25.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Watty

Post by Watty »

I would go with the 2023.

The problem is that your 15y year old minivan it could die at anytime and even if was just in the shop for a week you could be a bind with not being able to use the other car for three kids.

You are also risking there being some big unfixable problem with current minivan and you might be forced to buy a replacement in a hurry and pay top dollar for it if you can even find one.

As the old saying goes "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
henry

Post by henry »

If going with the Odyssey, I would go with the 2023 Odyssey.

I don't know if anyone outside of Honda knows that the Odyssey will be redesigned for 2024 or it will be 2025. It could be, but nothing official yet as far as I know. Honda North America recently has been waiting just a few months between showing a new product to the press and then launching it in showrooms.
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

My family is in the minivan market as well and the Odyssey is at the top of our list. We've decided to wait a bit to see what the 2024 offerings are. Granted, we can afford to wait as the car we will be replacing still meets our needs, just not as comfortably as a minivan would.
Bogleheads® emphasize regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.
Bitzer

Post by Bitzer »

If you can hold out, I'd wait for further information on the 2024 model. I've been buying first year redesign model Honda Accords and Pilots for years and never had a problem that didn't affect the next year of production as well. Although I have no proof of this statement, I will go out on a limb and say problems limited to first year of production vehicles among the quality manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, etc) are largely a myth. I'd welcome evidence to the contrary.

Like another poster suggested, if you wait, you will be driving a new looking vehicle for years. For me, any cost savings on buying the old model isn't worth it.

Speaking of getting reliable information on new model Hondas, I'm having a problem figuring out if the 2024 Passport will be substantially redesigned, beyond the "off road" package.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rob wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:43 am I always avoid the first model after a redesign.... I'd do 23 or 25.

We also try to avoid a "first year of new model".
Let some other guinea pigs help locate some of the unexpecteds...
And I'm not sure we'd be ready for a hybrid yet, anyway. Technology is changing.

And any repairs/problems... everyone will be familiar with those and have plenty of parts, including where you are going on your trip. "just in case", etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:52 pm
rob wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:43 am I always avoid the first model after a redesign.... I'd do 23 or 25.

And I'm not sure we'd be ready for a hybrid yet, anyway. Technology is changing.

And any repairs/problems... everyone will be familiar with those and have plenty of parts, including where you are going on your trip. "just in case", etc.

RM
Are your concerns specific to Honda hybrids, or all hybrids? Honest question; I don't know enough about non-Toyota hybrid drivetrain reliability.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cmr79 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:56 pm

RM
Are your concerns specific to Honda hybrids, or all hybrids? Honest question; I don't know enough about non-Toyota hybrid drivetrain reliability.

Nothing specific at all.
It's just that the technology is really changing in general, and that didn't used to be the case.
Now... that could also be the situation for quite some time to come...

(Note: We also just purchased last year's model Sony TV, at a great price. No need for the "new model" there, either. :wink: )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:04 pm
cmr79 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:56 pm

RM

Nothing specific at all.
It's just that the technology is really changing in general, and that didn't used to be the case.
Now... that could also be the situation for quite some time to come...

(Note: We also just purchased last year's model Sony TV, at a great price. No need for the "new model" there, either. :wink: )

RM
Toyota's hybrid synergy drive hasn't changed much (other than moving from NiMH to lithium ion batteries) since the updated HSD was released in 2004. I think Toyota has sold more than 20 million hybrids worldwide to date, not sure if that accounts for Lexus vehicles or Ford hybrids, which use very similar hybrid drivetrains licensed from Toyota (though purportedly developed independently). In terms of cars, I feel like this is pretty mature technology, but I understand that categorization is completely subjective and that much like risk tolerance anywhere else, reasonable people can differ.

Honda's hybrid drivetrain design is a bit more complicated vs Toyota, and they only sell a fraction (around 40% recently) of the number that Toyota does. Many European manufacturers are producing vehicles with "mild hybrid" drivetrains to meet fuel efficiency standards, which also don't reduce complexity of the ICE portion of the drivetrain and don't realize as large of benefits in efficiency as the full hybrid drivetrains. Being concerned concerned about the maturity and reliability of these types of hybrids makes more sense to me personally.
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Anyway to get Toyota Sequoia without 12 month wait time?
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Sometimes you can obtain a car if someone declines delivery. You can't be too picky on the trim level and options but the dealership should know how frequent this is.
j9j

Post by j9j »

Blue456 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:46 pm Anyway to get Toyota Sequoia without 12 month wait time?
Not without stumbling into a dealership(the exact moment)that has one that someone canceled on.

I echo the comment above in your situation go with a 2023. It doesn’t sounds you cns wait for the 2025 model year.
TravellingTechOnFire

Post by TravellingTechOnFire »

Blue456 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:46 pm Anyway to get Toyota Sequoia without 12 month wait time?
I just did a quick Autotrader search. There are 22 available for sale within 50 miles of me. 77 within 100 miles. Or did you mean Toyota Sienna the minivan?(Sequoia is the 20 mpg SUV). 30 of those in stock within 50 miles.

Of course I probably don't live where you live. Point is that there seem to be dozens readily available in a small radius, so I'm assuming this means good general availability.
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:57 pm
I just did a quick Autotrader search. There are 22 available for sale within 50 miles of me. 77 within 100 miles. Or did you mean Toyota Sienna the minivan?(Sequoia is the 20 mpg SUV). 30 of those in stock within 50 miles.

Of course I probably don't live where you live. Point is that there seem to be dozens readily available in a small radius, so I'm assuming this means good general availability.
I couldn’t find Toyota Sequoia base model for 59,000. The only ones I found were 80,000 and I’m not willing to spend that much. Our location of interest is NYC or nearby NJ.
TravellingTechOnFire

Blue456 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:06 pm

I couldn’t find Toyota Sequoia base model for 59,000. The only ones I found were 80,000 and I’m not willing to spend that much. Our location of interest is NYC or nearby NJ.
yes, I don't see any base models. A couple for around $64k and goes up fast from there.

If you need the space of a minivan maybe the Sienna should be considered? 35 mpg would be nice? As I think was previously mentioned, Toyota has been building hybrids for a good while and seem to have a good track record with dependability. Since buying new that won't be an issue for quite a few years anyways. If you do end up with dependability issues while in the warranty period, you'd have the option to move on before the warranty expires?

Just a thought. I know everyone has different priorities but I could not imagine having to drive a vehicle that gets 20 mpg.

Edit: nvm, I see you don't like the looks. I agree, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a car I don't like!
Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:41 pm

yes, I don't see any base models. A couple for around $64k and goes up fast from there.

If you need the space of a minivan maybe the Sienna should be considered? 35 mpg would be nice? As I think was previously mentioned, Toyota has been building hybrids for a good while and seem to have a good track record with dependability. Since buying new that won't be an issue for quite a few years anyways. If you do end up with dependability issues while in the warranty period, you'd have the option to move on before the warranty expires?

Just a thought. I know everyone has different priorities but I could not imagine having to drive a vehicle that gets 20 mpg.

Edit: nvm, I see you don't like the looks. I agree, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a car I don't like!
On the flip side. We checked out Toyota Sienna in person and we actually liked it more than we thought we would. Sienna is really much more specious and the hybrid provides so much better MPG. So we pre-ordered one today and should be in our hands in the next 6 weeks or so. Sienna seems like a perfect travel minivan for our long road trips. We will wait with Sequoia another 2 years so we can get used 2023 version. The goal for Sequoia is to pull a 5th wheel.
cvn74n2

Post by cvn74n2 »

OP,
Be sure your eventual tow vehicle is capable of pulling your fifth wheel. Looking up the 2023 Toyota Sequoia specs, max towing is ~9500 lbs. I wouldn't want to drive/pull anything without a 10% safety margin (~8600 lbs in this case).
TravellingTechOnFire

Blue456 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:36 am
TravellingTechOnFire wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:41 pm

On the flip side. We checked out Toyota Sienna in person and we actually liked it more than we thought we would. Sienna is really much more specious and the hybrid provides so much better MPG. So we pre-ordered one today and should be in our hands in the next 6 weeks or so. Sienna seems like a perfect travel minivan for our long road trips. We will wait with Sequoia another 2 years so we can get used 2023 version. The goal for Sequoia is to pull a 5th wheel.
Wow, an excellent result, congrats!! Hopefully you'll really appreciate the fuel economy on those long road trips! Ah, I see in regards to Sequoia. It seemed slightly out of place as a choice between Odyssey and Sienna, make sense now. Two years used sounds smart; hopefully prices normalize a bit by then.