Toyota Sienna - Any Port Installed Options Worth Keeping?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Toyota Sienna - Any Port Installed Options Worth Keeping?

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Supposedly "my" (refundable deposit paid) Toyota Sienna is in line to be assembled on or around June 5. Dealer claims I have the option to remove port installed accessories (pleasantly surprised if true - still just a little skeptical given numerous accounts of Sienna price gouging etc..).

Are any of the below worth keeping? My thought was to keep the All-Weather Floor Liner but drop everything else:
All-Weather Floor Liner Package: $260 [ keep? ]
Paint Protection Film: $439
Quick Charge Cable Package: $70
Emergency Assistance Kit: $75
Cargo Organizer: $239
Body Side Molding: $250
Door Sill Protectors: $40
Mudguards: $149
Jimbo Moneybags

Re: Toyota Sienna - Any Port Installed Options Worth Keeping?

Post by Jimbo Moneybags »

I'd decline them all. You can get a complete set of WeatherTech All-Weather floor mats for under $200. The rest of it is similarly overpriced or just unnecessary junk.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I would decline all of them. If you want "real" all weather floor matts, go to Weather Tech.

I have to laugh at "Port Installed". Unless you live in Hawaii or Alaska where these things are put on a ship, I see no port in transport from Indiana.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

I'd take OEM over Weathertech any day of the week.
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Jimbo Moneybags wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:15 am I'd decline them all. You can get a complete set of WeatherTech All-Weather floor mats for under $200. The rest of it is similarly overpriced or just unnecessary junk.
Good info. Simple to lookup on the WeatherTech website for my make & model etc...?
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

I'd consider the mats, ppf, and mudguards. But I doubt the PPF is very good, or they're not covering the whole car because that's way too cheap for a mini van (or any car for that matter). The mats could be a good price, it depends on what is covered. I would generally go with OEM over weathertec.

For the mudguards, having them can be nice, and depending on where you live, could potentially extend the life of the body. But even if you want them, you can probably find decent ones for cheaper. It's just - do you want to deal with sourcing and installing them for the cost savings? Or, you live in LA and you shouldn't even consider them.
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
Jimbo Moneybags

burritoLover wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:25 am I'd take OEM over Weathertech any day of the week.
Why's that? The Toyota all-weather mats are a fairly soft rubber, aren't as durable as I prefer and they don't have a raised lip to contain snow melt or other liquids. I find them comparable to ordinary rubber floor mat sets you can buy for under $100. (Except the Toyota mats usually have the model stenciled or printed on the mats, like Sienna). I've personally found the WeatherTech mats to be more durable, well-made and the raised lip around the edge is great in winter climates (or for a family with kids who may drop or spill their drink on the floor). But that's just my personal opinion having used both.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Decline all those pure profit items.

While you're at it, decline the extended warranty that will be presented too.
Last edited by bob60014 on Fri May 26, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

burritoLover wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:25 am I'd take OEM over Weathertech any day of the week.
Same.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

Jimbo Moneybags wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:40 am
Why's that? The Toyota all-weather mats are a fairly soft rubber, aren't as durable as I prefer and they don't have a raised lip to contain snow melt or other liquids. I find them comparable to ordinary rubber floor mat sets you can buy for under $100. (Except the Toyota mats usually have the model stenciled or printed on the mats, like Sienna). I've personally found the WeatherTech mats to be more durable, well-made and the raised lip around the edge is great in winter climates (or for a family with kids who may drop or spill their drink on the floor). But that's just my personal opinion having used both.
My experience with Weathertech is their manufacturing process is inconsistent - I've one set where the raised edges come out wavy (too thin) and catch your foot on the driver's side mat. Then another on a manual transmission car where the dead pedal was too wide and would catch your foot coming off the clutch. I've never had an issue with OEM - albeit, I've never had Toyota all-weather floor mats. If it were me, I'd at least check them out on a dealership car to get an idea of the quality. You can usually find OEM accessories online for cheaper than MSRP that most dealers charge.
aardvark62

Post by aardvark62 »

I have a 2023 Sienna and was forced to buy the OEM all-weather floor mats. They are reasonable thickness and have grooves to catch liquids. The mats provide good coverage, EXCEPT at the very threshold of the sliding door. There is 2" of carpet exposed between the plastic threshold and the start of the mat. The second row seats move forward and back just fine with these mats.

The weathertech floor mats restrict the range of motion of the second row seats (seats move forward<->back). This is plainly stated on their website. I also hear that they make sliding the seats hard, and the mats themselves can get stuck in the track, due to weathertech's quest for a tighter fit. Granted, I have no personal experience with the weathertech mats.
ErRyTour

Post by ErRyTour »

I just picked up a Sienna earlier this week. Regarding the floor mats - I went with an unmatched set...

In the front, I went with a set from TuxMat. I think they have the best coverage. On the sides, the mat goes right up to the plastic bits in the car, with some clips to hold it against the edge (so the carpet is covered).

In the second/third row and the cargo area, I went with 3W. In the second/third row, the 3W mat has a lip that extends underneath the plastic bits so I expect it will be harder for debris to get underneath the mat. It does not affect movement of the second row seats. All the carpet is covered. It covers up to the third row seat anchors.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

As the former owner of 2 Siennas, I would take the mudguards.
exigent

Post by exigent »

If even if you prefer OEM over 3rd party, like Weathertech, you can find these items for way less than what the dealer will charge online. Or at least that's been my experience with similar items from Honda. There are all kinds of online suppliers and/or dealers that sell over eBay for this sort of stuff and installation is somewhere between a complete non-issue (floor mats; you just put them on the floor) to super easy (mud guards; I've never had to remove the wheels for such things, just turn to one side or the other and use a short-handled screwdriver) for pretty much anything you might legitimately need.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

littlebird wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:44 pm As the former owner of 2 Siennas, I would take the mudguards.
I agree but check online to see if you can get the OEM ones cheaper. I did that with my current 2004 Sienna. Install was like 5 minutes.

We did keep the door sill protectors as the door sills do get a lot of wear. Side moldings are nice to prevent door ding in the super market and would probably be a more difficult install...

Our 2004 Sienna was a dealer trade at a time where they were scarce as well so we had no option but to accept some things...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
j9j

Post by j9j »

Absolutely decline the quick charge cable. Most overpriced item in the list.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

We were not given the option to decline PIO's (trunk and floor mats and rear USB chargers) from a Toyota dealer.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

I would cancel all of that (though depending on what the quick charge cable package is I might keep it just for convenience) and the weather mats is 50/50 depending on hassle.

But after cancelling all that, you can have them add the tow package for about the same price, and being able to pull a little trailer now and then is a huge advantage.
Jimbo Moneybags

bombcar wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:28 am ...though depending on what the quick charge cable package is I might keep it just for convenience...
That package is a car charger and a three charging cables. You could get something similar on Monoprice (and perhaps Amazon) for under $15.00.

But considering that the 2023 Sienna has at least six USB ports, the car charger is a waste of money. A set of three charging cables from Monoprice (with a lifetime warranty) can be had for $10.00 or less. Probably even cheaper cables on Amazon.
burritoLover

Post by burritoLover »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:59 pm We were not given the option to decline PIO's (trunk and floor mats and rear USB chargers) from a Toyota dealer.
How much did you pay relative to MSRP? Toyota's supply seems really limited right now.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

SimonJester wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:49 pm
littlebird wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:44 pm As the former owner of 2 Siennas, I would take the mudguards.
I agree but check online to see if you can get the OEM ones cheaper. I did that with my current 2004 Sienna. Install was like 5 minutes.
Probably always cheaper to DIY, but not all of us are able -or any longer able - to do so.
bgoodrich86

Post by bgoodrich86 »

We have a 23 Sienna and I’d keep the floor mats, they’re seemingly good quality and fit well. I’ve had weather-tec in the past (different car) and I also liked them but would probably go with the OEM in this case.
bombcar

Post by bombcar »

Jimbo Moneybags wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:09 am That package is a car charger and a three charging cables. You could get something similar on Monoprice (and perhaps Amazon) for under $15.00.
Yeah that stinks. I was hoping it was some magnetic charging thing that would hold the phone.

Hard pass.
Last edited by bombcar on Sat May 27, 2023 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

+1. I’ve got weathertech for one car and OEM for a second. The OEM ones are much much nicer. I’d gladly pay a few dollars more for them.
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (vehicle purchase).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Purdue

Post by Purdue »

We have a '21 Sienna that came with the all weather floor mats and the emergency kit. I'd keep the floor mats, but the emergency kit is way overpriced. I'd don't think I would take any of the others on the list either.