An interesting benefit to using a Taret Red Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dh

An interesting benefit to using a Taret Red Card

Post by dh »

I had an interesting experience regarding my Target Red Card. While I have only used the card because of the 5% discount, I received a call today (I didn't pick up because it was from an unknown Minneapolis area code and number). The recording stated that they had a record that I had purchased a candle that is a fire hazard with instructions to discontinue its' use, return it for a full refund, or call back for an address that I could mail it and receive a refund. At first I was a bit creeped out that they would keep such information (I bought the candle with my red card a very long time ago); then, I reframed my thinking I acknowledged that I appreciated this safety information as I had no awareness of the recall. If I would have purchased this with my Citi credit card, I would not have know. I thought this might be of interest to Bogleheads. Happy Memorial Day weekend!
typical.investor

Re: An interesting benefit to using a Taret Red Card

Post by typical.investor »

Amazon did the same with a product recall for some antacid.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

dh wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 pm I had an interesting experience regarding my Target Red Card. While I have only used the card because of the 5% discount, I received a call today (I didn't pick up because it was from an unknown Minneapolis area code and number). The recording stated that they had a record that I had purchased a candle that is a fire hazard with instructions to discontinue its' use, return it for a full refund, or call back for an address that I could mail it and receive a refund. At first I was a bit creeped out that they would keep such information (I bought the candle with my red card a very long time ago); then, I reframed my thinking I acknowledged that I appreciated this safety information as I had no awareness of the recall. If I would have purchased this with my Citi credit card, I would not have know. I thought this might be of interest to Bogleheads. Happy Memorial Day weekend!
Good for you.

Red card user for many years - save 5% every time. There was a recall for Similac (which is baby food) some years ago. Red card didn't bother to contact me even though the purchase was done using it. Perhaps, feeding children contaminated food isn't that critical... Thankfully, TV news came through for me.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Grocery store do this too if you use your shopper card for any product recalls.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
erp

Post by erp »

dh wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 pm If I would have purchased this with my Citi credit card, I would not have know.
With Walmart, when I added a credit card to my online account, all my offline purchases that I had ever made with the same card showed up in my purchase history. Ie this was not a walmart card or tied to walmart in anyway, but they keep all this info forever, it seems, and probably could notify me of something if they chose to now.
Topic Author
dh

Post by dh »

Metsfan91 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:26 pm
Red card user for many years - save 5% every time. There was a recall for Similac (which is baby food) some years ago. Red card didn't bother to contact me even though the purchase was done using it. Perhaps, feeding children contaminated food isn't that critical... Thankfully, TV news came through for me.
That is horrible. I am glad you (and hopefully others) saw it on the news. A bad candle is of much less significance than contaminated food!
Topic Author
dh

Post by dh »

erp wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:32 pm
dh wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 pm If I would have purchased this with my Citi credit card, I would not have know.
With Walmart, when I added a credit card to my online account, all my offline purchases that I had ever made with the same card showed up in my purchase history. Ie this was not a walmart card or tied to walmart in anyway, but they keep all this info forever, it seems, and probably could notify me of something if they chose to now.
I believe I have my Citi card on my online account. I usually don't like everything being tracked, yet there are advantages.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Costco does this also. I think I've received 3 letters over the years with recall info.
Kingghoti

Post by Kingghoti »

dh wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:05 pm I had an interesting experience regarding my Target Red Card. While I have only used the card because of the 5% discount, I received a call today (I didn't pick up because it was from an unknown Minneapolis area code and number). The recording stated that they had a record that I had purchased a candle that is a fire hazard with instructions to discontinue its' use, return it for a full refund, or call back for an address that I could mail it and receive a refund. At first I was a bit creeped out that they would keep such information (I bought the candle with my red card a very long time ago); then, I reframed my thinking I acknowledged that I appreciated this safety information as I had no awareness of the recall. If I would have purchased this with my Citi credit card, I would not have know. I thought this might be of interest to Bogleheads. Happy Memorial Day weekend!
Good for you.

Never ascribe to malevolence that which can be explained by incompetence. I find it remarkable someone would assume ( you weren’t serious, right? ) that “red card” at some date in the past ( were they doing these notices then?) intentionally decided to ignore Similac recall. How do you think RC becomes aware of recalls? Employees scan the inter webs? Data feeds from 54 different regulatory jurisdictions and multiple agencies? It’s truly boggling they notify at all IMHO. We don’t yet have a one world database registry of all purchases for consumers. Okay I’m over the top in my criticism. Very glad you caught notice of the recall and your family was not harmed. Best.
GastroMD

Post by GastroMD »

Good for you.

Am glad the TV news coverage was excellent on this topic so that you and your family kept safe. That being said, agree with the other poster that although it is nice if/when Target and other retailers notify customers of recalls, I dont think they are obligated to do so and certainly it was not intentionally ignored. I think a company as large as target can and shouldhave some recall department in place to take care of this.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Kingghoti wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:44 am
Good for you.

Never ascribe to malevolence that which can be explained by incompetence. I find it remarkable someone would assume ( you weren’t serious, right? ) that “red card” at some date in the past ( were they doing these notices then?) intentionally decided to ignore Similac recall. How do you think RC becomes aware of recalls? Employees scan the inter webs? Data feeds from 54 different regulatory jurisdictions and multiple agencies? It’s truly boggling they notify at all IMHO. We don’t yet have a one world database registry of all purchases for consumers. Okay I’m over the top in my criticism. Very glad you caught notice of the recall and your family was not harmed. Best.
I didn't assume nor I had any expectation of Target reaching out to me with recall info... I was simply contrasting the OP with some facts :-)

Nothing against Target or Red card. I prefer target stores over walmart. 5% instant saving adds up to a whole lot over a year.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

boglegirl wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:10 am Costco does this also. I think I've received 3 letters over the years with recall info.
Costco - awesome!
gotoparks

Post by gotoparks »

I purchased some peanut butter from Target using the Redcard, which was recalled, and Target contacted me. I think through email. I contacted the manufacturer and got a couple of coupons to replace it with. I liked the operation.

Post by 8301 »

Will Costo or my favored grocery store send me a notice that my choice of foods has been getting unhealthier over the years?
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

erp wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:32 pm
You can delete those items purchased in store from your Walmart account.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Does anyone use the red card via the re-loadable account as opposed to the credit or debit card route? How does one go about reloading value to the account when needed (in person at cashier, on line, ?)?
Topic Author
dh

Post by dh »

gotoparks wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:18 am I purchased some peanut butter from Target using the Redcard, which was recalled, and Target contacted me. I think through email. I contacted the manufacturer and got a couple of coupons to replace it with. I liked the operation.
I appreciated it too. Yet, I am sorry for the previous poster who shared his/her situation where no contact was made. I am glad Target and other companies notify customers. I don't know that they are required to do so.