Bogleheads University

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
White Coat Investor

Bogleheads University

Post by White Coat Investor »

Somehow I ended up being in charge of Bogleheads University again this year. I'm not sure if that's because I did a nice job last year or if this is just a "coalition of the willing" thing. I'm looking for content and formatting suggestions and welcome all opinions, feedback, suggestions, and criticisms. If you attended last year or will be attending this year, please mention that as your opinion will be given more weight.

Bogleheads University is the afternoon before the opening reception at the annual Bogleheads conference. While originally envisioned as an "add-on" to the conference, most people last year just treated it as the first day of the conference. It was packed. The goal was to provide basic instructions on the widely agreed upon Boglehead principles of investing so that newer Bogleheads would have a framework on which to place the information they learned from peers and presentations during the rest of the conference. Think of it as "Investing 101". It lasted three hours, including two ten minute breaks, and involved 5 faculty members (Christine Benz, Allan Roth, Mike Piper, Rick Ferri, and myself) giving two ~12 minute presentations a piece on each of the ten tenets of the Boglehead philosophy found here on the wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... philosophy. This was followed by a 20 minute Q&A session.

This year we are going to double the content of Bogleheads University. There will be a "101 track" as well as a "501 track" running in an adjacent room.
People attending the 101 track should not be required to know anything about investing and still be able to understand what is being discussed. People in the 501 track will be assumed to have at least basic financial and investing knowledge including the ten tenets of the Bogleheads Investing Philosophy. No guarantee that anyone will understand anything the speakers are talking about in that track but presumably the presentations will be at a high enough level that even someone who has been participating on this board for a decade plus will get something out of it. Advanced and controversial topics are fair game for the 501 track.

Here are the questions for you:

1. What content would you like to see in the 101 track?
2. What content would you like to see in the 501 track?
3. What format would you like to see? Short lectures. Longer lectures. Panels. More Q&A. Less Q&A. No breaks. One break. Two breaks etc.

Thanks in advance for your help. See you at the conference. If you haven't registered yet what are you waiting for? It's awesome.

https://boglecenter.net/2023conference/

Oct 13-15, 2023 in DC (Bethesda)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Taylor Larimore

Re: Bogleheads University

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads University:

I am too old (99) to attend but it pleases me greatly to see the many improvements in our annual Bogleheads Conference. I doubt if there is a better Financial Conference anywhere that can match it.

What a cast of speakers!!

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!”.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

For the 501 course, I suggest some discussion on:

- Building a bottoms up Portfolio and Asset Allocation
- Calculating and using the Funded Ratio
- Using a DAF and QCDs for Charitable Giving
- Develop8ng a Roth Conversion plan

Best of luck

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I attended last year's conference in Chicago - I was one of the people (the chatterbox) that carpooled with you back to ORD on the last day of conference Dr. Dahle!

I would especially be interested in a 501 course on strategies for a retirement without children and/or close friends/relatives.

For the 101 course, how to get young people to start saving earlier (even a little) since time in he market is such a crucial step in securing a safe retirement.

Thanks to all the volunteers putting their hard work into this event!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

WoodSpinner wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:23 pm For the 501 course, I suggest some discussion on:

I’d add -
- The three fund approach vs (everything else)
- Annuities - the good, the bad, and the ugly
- International? - yes, no, or maybe
- How could/should my asset allocation change as I move through stages of life
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Financial Engineer

Post by Financial Engineer »

Jim:

101:
I heard from several that last year's Bogleheads University was excellent (though I could not make it that day), nice work, and great to have you back!

501:
Real Estate as Portfolio Diversifier - Pitfalls and Opportunity (Jim - this one I really want to see you lead, please?!?!)
"Safe" Withdrawal Rates
Roth Conversions as Lifetime Tax Reduction Strategy
Bringing Happiness and Health into Alignment with Finances
Social Security Selection Approaches
Blindspots even savvy Bogleheads sometimes miss.

See you there!
Historical US Stock Market Returns | 1929 Peak to 1982 Bottom ~ 4% Real | 1966 Peak to 1987 Bottom ~ 2.5% Real | 2000 Peak to COVID-19 Bottom ~ 3% Real | If Investing Long-Term, Stay The Course
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hi Jim,

I did not attend the 2022 conference but I watched all available videos and will definitely be in 2023 in DC. You did a brilliant job running the show and I am pleased that you have agreed to do it again. This is not a compliment: I have a vast experience of poorly run events and annoying moderators. You shine.

A session I'd like to see in the 501 track is a review of how to look for useful information related to the government securities. The topics would include links to and interpretations of the I Bonds rates, links to and interpretations of the Treasury Yield Curves, useful information provided by different Feds (e.g., by FRED), and similar topics.

Such information is frequently covered in Bogleheads discussions but I think there is value of having key sources summarized and interpreted in one place, with links. Also, we don't know what we don't know, and such a session would help to cover our existing blind spots.

See you at Bogleheads-2023,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Stinky wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:10 pm
WoodSpinner wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:23 pm For the 501 course, I suggest some discussion on:

I’d add -
- The three fund approach vs (everything else)
- Annuities - the good, the bad, and the ugly
- International? - yes, no, or maybe
- How could/should my asset allocation change as I move through stages of life
Seems like each of those is a track to a Ph.D. and a 50 year long career in academia with some side jaunts to start some mutual funds, ETFs, and fintech companies to make some real money. Might need to manage expectations for Dr. Jim.
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

I would like to see in the 501 track presentations clearing up some of the major misconceptions that keep coming up on Bogleheads forums, such as:

A presentation on the risks of money market funds covering:
Government vs Treasury money market funds (as many posters on the Bogleheads forum do not know that the Government money market funds hold debt issued by Government Sponsored Enterprises (GSEs) that are not explicitly backed by the full faith and credit of the US Government and, therefore, Government MMFs are riskier than Treasury MMFs or FDIC-insured products);

That in the Financial Crisis the only MMF that “broke the buck” was The Reserve Fund is correct, but that dozens of smaller MMFs would have “broken the buck” if it was not for the financial support of the sponsoring financial institution. The moral is: unless it is a Treasury MMF, you want a MMF with a sponsoring financial institution with deep pockets behind it, such as a bank or Fidelity, but definitely not a break-even operation like Vanguard.

https://www.bostonfed.org/-/media/Docum ... au1203.pdf

A presentation on defined benefit pension plans, ERISA, and PBGC, as many posters on the Bogleheads forums do not understand the protections now provided for these pensions and believe if the sponsoring corporation of a defined-benefit pension plan goes bankrupt that means they will probably lose their vested pensions.

Many posters also do not know that the pension assets have a trustee and are held at a custodian bank and, therefore, incorrectly believe that a corporation can legally just take all the pension assets if so desired at any time or incorrectly believe that the sponsoring corporation can just change the pension plan willy-nilly so that your vested pension of $3,000 a month earned after 25 years on the job can suddenly become $30 a month.
Last edited by ModifiedDuration on Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
riverant

Post by riverant »

- duration matched fixed income
- asset location
- bond funds and interest rate changes
- MYGAs
Joyful

Post by Joyful »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:10 pm
I would especially be interested in a 501 course on strategies for a retirement without children and/or close friends/relatives.
+1

501 Topics:
- Retiring abroad - Considerations, Taxes, Healthcare, investing, etc.
- Tax strategies heading into retirement - 10 years before, 5 years before, 1 year before

101 Topic:
- Bonds - discussion of all types
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

For 501 Track...
-Often overlooked aspects of Estate Planning.
-How to reduce SORR (Sequence of Returns Risk) when retiring. Compare "Bond Tent" vs. other options.
-How Bogleheads who've always "lived below their means" can learn to "loosen the purse strings" in retirement (or before).
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Good suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.. I'm planning to get this sorted out in the next couple of days.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

White Coat Investor wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:32 am Good suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.. I'm planning to get this sorted out in the next couple of days.
TIPS vs iBonds vs equities vs (what else??) to hedge against inflation

Might be appropriate for 101, 501, or both.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
er999

Post by er999 »

For 501 I’d suggest a discussion about individual tips held to maturity as a LMP vs alternative fixed income strategies such as only holding total bond that is the standard 3 fund portfolio advice on here. Also total bond vs other bond options besides individual tips (t bills, total intermediate treasuries instead of total bond, role of any of long term nominal treasuries, etc.)
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

As a public service for Bogleheads, perhaps a 501 presentation on unclaimed property (escheated property) held by the states and why every Boglehead should be checking all the states they have lived in for themselves and family members for unclaimed property.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Inflation protection - what's promised, what's delivered and what's actually needed

Fixed income today - Does an inverted yield curve mean that simple is no longer better?

Ladders versus duration matching. Understanding the difference.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Yes, I attended last year's Bogleheads University - it was great :happy

For the 101 Track -
-- seriously - a few sentences on what a stock is and what a bond is
-- basic explanation of what a mutual fund is, what an ETF is, and what an index fund is
-- why we recommend mutual funds and ETFs for starting out or younger investors, rather than individual stocks
-- why we recommend index funds, and also, why high quality, low cost, low expense ratio managed funds (such as investors may find in their 401k) are also a good investment
-- what are bonds, what do they do, and why they are not a big part of a young investor's portfolio
-- basics of setting one's asset allocation, and the importance of this (some discussion of risk tolerance, bull & bear markets)

-- costs matter - show graphs on the screen
-- compounding is seriously awesome - show graphs on the screen
-- getting started early with building a retirement 401k and IRA gives compounding the fuel to be seriously awesome - show graphs on screen
-- "The first $100,000 is a b*tch, but you gotta do it." (Charlie Munger)
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I would be especially interested in the above also.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:01 am
I would be especially interested in the above also.
That topic could be a whole seminar by itself! Perhaps it could be better addressed as a joint "Pre/Early" and "Retired" Life Stage Chapter virtual meeting.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
stevew912

Post by stevew912 »

Jim, I will be attending and have a suggestion for the 101 track. I think it would help to have something of a broader personal finance nature targeted to young folks that are just getting started in their careers to get them on the right track, including (or especially?) those with significant debt such as student loans. I suspect you see a lot of this with young docs who wind up paycheck to paycheck as soon as they get an income they can borrow against, hopefully not too big a lift. Thanks for doing this work. Steve
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

How about a Retirement Planning Template such as the WIKI’s Retirement Policy Statement to help layout the various decisions and plans needed….

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Retirem ... _statement

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

Stinky wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:43 am
White Coat Investor wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:32 am Good suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.. I'm planning to get this sorted out in the next couple of days.
TIPS vs iBonds vs equities vs (what else??) to hedge against inflation

Might be appropriate for 101, 501, or both.
+1

Please let me/us know what session this topic would be included, and I'll be there!
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." - Carl Von Clausewitz
stevew912

Post by stevew912 »

The template looks great and will give it the closer review it deserves. My suggestion has more to do with financial literacy though than retirement planning. Jim's presentations in 2022 reference making his plan in 2004 when he was "broke" but without much detail other than a reference to a zero net worth, and that was more in the nature of a financial plan than a retirement plan. I think some detail about what that might have looked like then would be helpful to those with significant debt or student loans to promote all of the other great objectives.