Comprehensive List of options for Handling Expat Mail

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
lawman3966

Comprehensive List of options for Handling Expat Mail

Post by lawman3966 »

I'm posting to hopefully generate a list of options for handling physical mail for U.S. citizens living abroad. Other threads have discussed this matter in combination with other issues, but I'm hoping to focus on this one issue here.

The main option I've seen discussed so far involves using a Virtual Mail Address (VMA) office to handle incoming mail. However, I've also read about cases of financial companies discovering the status of the VMAs and challenging the address in communication with the expat investor. Accordingly, I'd like to explore alternatives to VMAs.

One option I'm considering include setting up a cheap roommate arrangement in a private home that would receive my mail and email me scans of important mail. I would consider returning to the jurisdiction the home is in two or more times a year to bolster my assertion of residency.

I believe that there are ways of limiting the information on any paper mailings so that other roommates would not be able to hack the accounts. Alternatively, a separate locking physical mailbox for my mail could be placed at the residence. However, any warnings or suggestion on this point are welcome.

Comments on the above, and suggestions for still more expat mail handling options are welcome.
snackdog

Re: Comprehensive List of options for Handling Expat Mail

Post by snackdog »

Friends and family are excellent options used by many. Employers are also often used.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Topic Author
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

snackdog wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:46 pm Friends and family are excellent options used by many. Employers are also often used.
Alas, I have no relatives and no current employer nearby. I haven't lived in my current area very long, so the only people I know are current and former roommates and landlords. I may ask some recent landlords if any of them would be interested in serving as a mail receiver and scanner.

I was hoping that home-based businesses might arise to serve the needs of the expats, but it's possible that expats are too few and far between for startup entrepreneurs to take an interest.

My relatives all live in Canada, and that wouldn't help.
galving

Post by galving »

Former expat - we shifted our physical mailing address to family.
I recall a couple of items in 3 years required that the mail actually be received by a trusted individual. (I don't recall what it was.)
A locking mailbox at your home seems inefficient.
Would a UPS store with a rental mailbox be sufficient? Perhaps they could forward all mail, though that seems costly.
Lawyer on retainer?
Trusted individual from work?

Good luck,
galving
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

lawman3966 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:29 am
snackdog wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:46 pm Friends and family are excellent options used by many. Employers are also often used.
Alas, I have no relatives and no current employer nearby. I haven't lived in my current area very long, so the only people I know are current and former roommates and landlords. I may ask some recent landlords if any of them would be interested in serving as a mail receiver and scanner.

I was hoping that home-based businesses might arise to serve the needs of the expats, but it's possible that expats are too few and far between for startup entrepreneurs to take an interest.

My relatives all live in Canada, and that wouldn't help.
Have you visited this place? Might work. They offer a physical address, scanning and forwarding for $10/mo.

https://www.mailboxseattle.com/Home-Business/iPostal1
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Maple

Post by Maple »

I've been using a mail processing company, Mailbox Forwarding, since 2014. They provide a 'real' street address in the US, which I use as my mailing address for financial correspondence. I also provide my real residential address in the Philippines when required (for example on W-8BENs).

So far, this has worked quite well. I'm mostly satisfied, most of the time, with Mailbox Forwarding.

For me, it is very important to NOT have a residential address in the USA or Canada. The tax benefits of Philippines residence, on investment income, are significant.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Maple wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:47 am I've been using a mail processing company, Mailbox Forwarding, since 2014. They provide a 'real' street address in the US, which I use as my mailing address for financial correspondence. I also provide my real residential address in the Philippines when required (for example on W-8BENs).

So far, this has worked quite well. I'm mostly satisfied, most of the time, with Mailbox Forwarding.

For me, it is very important to NOT have a residential address in the USA or Canada. The tax benefits of Philippines residence, on investment income, are significant.
I thought the Philippine cap gains tax was the same as the US. Is it less than 15%?
Maple

Post by Maple »

snackdog wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:59 am I thought the Philippine cap gains tax was the same as the US. Is it less than 15%?
Tax rules are complex and very situation specific. The Philippines does not tax foreign investment income or gains for Philippines resident non-citizens.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Maple wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:48 am
snackdog wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:59 am I thought the Philippine cap gains tax was the same as the US. Is it less than 15%?
Tax rules are complex and very situation specific. The Philippines does not tax foreign investment income or gains for Philippines resident non-citizens.
That's good. So you just pay US tax?