Searching for Lost Contributors

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
whodidntante

Re: Searching for Lost Contributors

Post by whodidntante »

Beensabu wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:00 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:00 pm Vineviz posts some great content over there. RR is a different culture, not just the higher baseline acceptance of factor investing. There seem to be a lot of discussions about hair, for example.
What about hair? Mine keeps falling out faster than it grows in. Do they have hair secrets over there?! Beyond biotin? Because I have no clue if that stuff is working yet.
There is a prolific grower of hair at RR. Ben Trix or something like that. He's been tight-lipped with his secrets but he came back from total baldness! :P
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:14 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:00 pm Vineviz posts some great content over there. RR is a different culture, not just the higher baseline acceptance of factor investing. There seem to be a lot of discussions about hair, for example.
What about hair? Mine keeps falling out faster than it grows in. Do they have hair secrets over there?! Beyond biotin? Because I have no clue if that stuff is working yet.
There is a prolific grower of hair at RR. Ben Trix or something like that. He's been tight-lipped with his secrets but he came back from total baldness! :P
Dude needs to loosen those lips if he wants more members. Just saying. Spill, Ben. Tell us how to get our hair back man.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

92irish wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:09 pm For those who have been around for awhile - Munchkin Man was the BEST! Never quite sure whether he was some kind of troll or what his agenda was, but boy he sure was entertaining. Comedic interjection in what can be somewhat boring boglehead land.

If you don't know what I'm talking about - hit the google search bar.
I agree Munchin Man was a treat to read.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Beensabu wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:22 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:14 pm
Dude needs to loosen those lips if he wants more members. Just saying. Spill, Ben. Tell us how to get our hair back man.
He probably found a really good wig shop.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:23 pm
tooluser wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:17 pm April 1st should be Bogleheads Moderator Appreciation Day. That way they'll never be too sure.
:D
I vote for April 2nd. :wink:
A fool and his money are good for business.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Anyone hear anything about squirrel1963?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Haven’t seen Apathizer comment since the last rent v. buy debate, in which he tirelessly defended renting, but maybe I missed it.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:39 pm Haven’t seen Apathizer comment since the last rent v. buy debate, in which he tirelessly defended renting, but maybe I missed it.
They posted multiple times last week. Easy enough to search their name and see when they were last active (unless they hide that detail) or see their last post.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=179115

Cheers
Supergrover

Is it appropriate to wonder where certain members went

Post by Supergrover »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

There’s a number of posters that I think give sensible, thorough advice. Sometimes I notice when someone hasn’t been around for a while. Is it ever appropriate to mention them by name? Or just PM only?
retiredjg

Re: Is it appropriate to wonder where certain members went

Post by retiredjg »

Supergrover wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:19 am There’s a number of posters that I think give sensible, thorough advice. Sometimes I notice when someone hasn’t been around for a while. Is it ever appropriate to mention them by name? Or just PM only?
There is a (long :happy ) thread devoted to just this kind of thing. Check it out. The poster(s) you are thinking about may have already been mentioned. If not, you can certainly ask if anyone has any information.

viewtopic.php?t=347399
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

Thank you for the guidance! Checking out that thread now…
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Supergrover's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Supergrover wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:27 am Thank you for the guidance! Checking out that thread now…

You can also do a search for the member, or just click on their name/ID where they have posted.
That will then display when they last logged on. Note that even if that is some time in the past, they might be reading without logging in, and that would not be shown.

But if they've logged in recently, even if they haven't posted, chances are that "all is well"...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

Well, i saw all the posts about JoeRetire, so that’s good to know all is well. Galawdawg has been quiet lately, too.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Still missing vineviz. He hasn't logged in since January. He takes sabbaticals from time to time from the forum, but this is starting to be one of his longer ones.

He's active on rational reminder, but that forum doesn't really lend itself to some of the tutorials that vineviz has produced on this forum. Very different vibe.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

dcabler wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:27 pm Still missing vineviz. He hasn't logged in since January. He takes sabbaticals from time to time from the forum, but this is starting to be one of his longer ones.

He's active on rational reminder, but that forum doesn't really lend itself to some of the tutorials that vineviz has produced on this forum. Very different vibe.
Why don’t you log on over there and invite him back?
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:20 pm
dcabler wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:27 pm Still missing vineviz. He hasn't logged in since January. He takes sabbaticals from time to time from the forum, but this is starting to be one of his longer ones.

Already have. He didn't bite.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

dcabler wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:29 pm
Nicolas wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:20 pm

Already have. He didn't bite.
I do miss Vineviz too. His posts were always thought provoking.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I guess I'd advise not trying to pester people into coming back because if they're gone they probably have a good reason.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

placeholder wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:01 am I guess I'd advise not trying to pester people into coming back because if they're gone they probably have a good reason.
Or they have been banned
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

CletusCaddy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:56 am
placeholder wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:01 am I guess I'd advise not trying to pester people into coming back because if they're gone they probably have a good reason.
Or they have been banned
Or are just taking a break, just as they have in the past (I'm the eternal optimist)

Cheers
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

CletusCaddy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:56 am
Or they have been banned
That too.
imbogled

Is member vineviz doing alright?

Post by imbogled »

Hello all. I was just wondering how member vineviz is doing? Have not seen a post of theirs since the first of the year. Hope all is well!
Last edited by imbogled on Sun May 14, 2023 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaufuskieNate

Re: Is member vineviz doing alright?

Post by DaufuskieNate »

He posts regularly on Rational Reminder, along with RobertT, Larry Swedroe and several other cogent former contributors to Bogleheads.
captmorgan50

Post by captmorgan50 »

DaufuskieNate wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:04 pm He posts regularly on Rational Reminder, along with RobertT, Larry Swedroe and several other cogent former contributors to Bogleheads.
You have a link for the Rational Reminder forum?
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I merged imbogled's query into the existing discussion.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
imbogled

Post by imbogled »

DaufuskieNate wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:04 pm He posts regularly on Rational Reminder, along with RobertT, Larry Swedroe and several other cogent former contributors to Bogleheads.
Given that information above. Is there a chance that he may have stopped contributing to the Bogleheads forum? With almost 15,000 posts in five years it would be a terrible shame to see him go.
DaufuskieNate

Post by DaufuskieNate »

imbogled wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:17 pm
Given that information above. Is there a chance that he may have stopped contributing to the Bogleheads forum? With almost 15,000 posts in five years it would be a terrible shame to see him go.
If you find his comments interesting (I certainly do), why not check out Rational Reminder?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

RR has some esteemed Bogleheads displaced persons.
TomatoTomahto

Galawdog - what does dash in Last Active signify?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I hadn’t seen any posts by galawdog recently, so I looked him up. Next to “Last Active:” there’s a dash. What does this mean?

I often enough disagreed with him, but there was always something of value to be gleaned.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
simplesimon

Re: Galawdog - what does dash in Last Active signify?

Post by simplesimon »

I see this dash on your profile too, but I don't see it on mine.
LFS1234

Post by LFS1234 »

Galawdawg is one of a handful of posters whose posts I go out of my way to read regardless of topic. His perspective, clear thinking and writing style has added a lot to this board.

If someone is in touch with him, please pass on to him that his posting has been much appreciated and is missed.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

simplesimon wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:28 am I see this dash on your profile too, but I don't see it on mine.
Confirmed; see it on mine but not yours. That’s reassuring, because I know I’m not banned or deceased, so I hope galawdog is just taking a well-deserved break.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged TomatoTomahto's thread into the ongoing discussion.

I don't see any dashes in galawdawg's profile, but I'm a site administrator. "Last active" shows when a member last logged in.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:57 am I merged TomatoTomahto's thread into the ongoing discussion.

I don't see any dashes in galawdawg's profile, but I'm a site administrator. "Last active" shows when a member last logged in.

Does the last active dash appear if you select "Hide my online status" when logging in?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, the dash means you are hiding your online status.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

imbogled wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:51 pm Hello all. I was just wondering how member vineviz is doing? Have not seen a post of theirs since the first of the year. Hope all is well!
He has taken time off from bogleheads in the past. Though this is the longest I've seen him gone. Hope he comes back.
Yeah, he does still post on rationalreminder.ca but that forum has a different vibe than this one. I also post occasionally on that forum and have dropped hints that he's missed over here, but he hasn't taken the bait.

Cheers

Post by 000 »

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

000 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:26 pm willthrill81: https://www.thesensiblesteward.com/post/i-m-retiring
I saw that. They are taking a brave and unique way to do it as well (ie their living situation)
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Retired@50, who was a very active participant, hasn’t posted in almost two months.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

000 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:26 pm willthrill81: https://www.thesensiblesteward.com/post/i-m-retiring
Thanks for sharing. Always enjoyed Will's posts. Hope he is doing well, and that he enjoys his retirement.
Bogleheads® emphasize regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

Not a prolific poster, but I always learned something from CINGHIALE. No posts since Jan 2023. Lots of good info about retiring abroad.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

whodidntante wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:33 pm
RR has some esteemed Bogleheads displaced persons.
I will check into Rational Reminder myself, I would like to read posts from former Boglehead contributors over there. I do miss Larry Swedroe and Vineviz. Hopefully, I will get approved by the moderators.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I have been lurking over at Rational Reminder hoping to see lots of posts from former Boglehead forum participants. What I found is that Vineviz posts there but I don't see much in the way of recent posts from him. I have seen a few Larry Swedroe posts there as well. So it isn't like they just left Bogleheads and took their conversation over to Rational Reminder. I suspect Vineviz is mostly taking a break from social media and I suspect he will be back somewhere sometime. I do take a look at Larry Swedroe's Twitter feed from time to time and I have a thread dedicated to that. From time to time, I will post a few of Larry's tweets and comment on them.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:04 am I have been lurking over at Rational Reminder
I was surprised to see that you have to sign up just to view the forums so I haven't bothered.

Post by 000 »

placeholder wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:52 pm
nedsaid wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:04 am I have been lurking over at Rational Reminder
I was surprised to see that you have to sign up just to view the forums so I haven't bothered.
That surprised me too.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

000 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:53 pm
placeholder wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:52 pm
That surprised me too.
Yes, I was surprised by that as well. I went ahead and signed up, it took about a day to get approved. So yes, I see current and former Bogleheads who post there.

Post by 000 »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:01 pm Yes, I was surprised by that as well. I went ahead and signed up, it took about a day to get approved. So yes, I see current and former Bogleheads who post there.
Was there anything specific to the approval process, like certain information that was required?
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

000 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:35 pm
nedsaid wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:01 pm Yes, I was surprised by that as well. I went ahead and signed up, it took about a day to get approved. So yes, I see current and former Bogleheads who post there.
Was there anything specific to the approval process, like certain information that was required?
Not really, you just give a reason why you are interested in joining the forum. It probably takes the moderators about a day to get around to approving requests to join. It isn't like there is a secret handshake or anything, it isn't a secret club. Gave them my screen name, my e-mail address, my general geographic location, and the reason for wanting to join. Had to agree not to give investment advice and to be civil on the forum. Oh, and I had to set up a password Not too much different from here.

The biggest difference is that you have to be a member to view the posts. I lurked here at Bogleheads for a while before joining.

Pretty much, I wanted to keep up with former Bogleheads who post there. Also wanted to read more of Ben Felix's posts. I will also say Rational Reminder has some cool merchandise. Here, we are mostly amateur investors with a minority of financial professionals, at RR that ratio of amateurs vs. professionals seems to be flipped. So I will be a back bencher there, mostly lurk and learn more from the industry quants there. Ben Felix is a much kinder, gentler version of Larry Swedroe. I want to learn more concerning industry and academic research.

Sort of reminds me of the days when our internal consultant for our health system had his office next to my cubicle. I would sometimes borrow his issue of Pensions & Investments and read them. I am sneaking over to RR to read more about what is going on in the investment industry just as I "borrowed" the consultant's P&I magazine. I always returned the magazines to the rightful owner, don't worry. Just a different feeling over there.