Virginia Beach swimming in August?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Virginia Beach swimming in August?

Post by VictoriaF »

I have booked four nights in an ocean-front hotel in Virginia Beach in August 2023. Now, I am having seconds thoughts whether the water will be good enough for swimming. The hotel was easily available and the photos show high waves.

Please provide any feedback about a beach stay in Virginia Beach.

Thank you,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Conch55

Re: Virginia Beach swimming in August?

Post by Conch55 »

I am not sure what your specific concern is but Virginia Beach is not a big wave spot. Hurricanes are the most likely source of rough water that time of year though. Rip tides can be a problem at times but if you are an experienced swimmer you likely already know how to deal with those. The water is not especially clear and can be cool at times but okay in general.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

July and August are the hot months with high humidity in Virginia. I've been in Richmond since 1972 and we are only 100 miles northwest of VA Beach, but the weather is the same and James River is tidal all the way from Hampton Roads to the I-95 bridge in downtown Richmond.

Virginia ocean temps in August are - for me - like bath water. Cooler than the air, but not by much.

"So you're interested in going to Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach, United States in August
86° Air Temperature
82° Water Temperature
9.6 Hrs of Sun / Day
13.5 Days of Rain"

https://beach-weather.com/Northern-Amer ... hole%20day.

Waves will vary day by day from all but flat to storm surge breakers when nor'easter goes up the coast, but I would expect the usual 2' or 3' waves.

Have fun. If you want flat shallow water, try the bay beaches near Shore Drive.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Conch55 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:35 pm I am not sure what your specific concern is but Virginia Beach is not a big wave spot. Hurricanes are the most likely source of rough water that time of year though. Rip tides can be a problem at times but if you are an experienced swimmer you likely already know how to deal with those. The water is not especially clear and can be cool at times but okay in general.
Thank you, Conch55. I am not a good swimmer but I have not had a beach vacation for a long time and decided to try Virginia Beach. Hopefully, I'll miss a hurricane and recognize rip tides.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

I think the ocean temps will be fine, warm, but fine and same with the surf, unless there is something going on--storm, super hot high pressure with no movement, etc.

If you have a non beach day head to First Landing State Park for a hike. Of interest is that it is the northern most stand of Spanish Moss on the east coast. Hikes can be as short or as long as you want.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

andypanda wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:38 pm July and August are the hot months with high humidity in Virginia. I've been in Richmond since 1972 and we are only 100 miles northwest of VA Beach, but the weather is the same and James River is tidal all the way from Hampton Roads to the I-95 bridge in downtown Richmond.

Virginia ocean temps in August are - for me - like bath water. Cooler than the air, but not by much.

"So you're interested in going to Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach, United States in August
86° Air Temperature
82° Water Temperature
9.6 Hrs of Sun / Day
13.5 Days of Rain"

Waves will vary day by day from all but flat to storm surge breakers when nor'easter goes up the coast, but I would expect the usual 2' or 3' waves.

Thank you, andypanda,

I specifically chose mid-August because charts show that the water is expected to be at its warmest. And that's why I was surprised that booking a beachfront hotel was so easy.

I'll be getting to Virginia Beach from D.C. using Amtrak to Norfolk and then an Amtrak-affiliated bus. And so I chose a hotel within walking distance from the bus stop. If there is a bus from my hotel to Shore Drive beaches I may try it. But the thing I liked the most was the direct access from my hotel to the ocean.

Victoria
ekid

Post by ekid »

I find it to be a really Long beach. People are spread out a lot- not what you see in pics of the French Riviera. I walked all the way south to the mouth of a small creek and the sand got a little muddy but there are miles (well, a mile) from there north.

Years ago, there were Russian students in an apartment house nearby owned by an oligarch. I heard the name but forgot.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Lastrun wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:49 pm I think the ocean temps will be fine, warm, but fine and same with the surf, unless there is something going on--storm, super hot high pressure with no movement, etc.

If you have a non beach day head to First Landing State Park for a hike. Of interest is that it is the northern most stand of Spanish Moss on the east coast. Hikes can be as short or as long as you want.
Thank you, Lastrun,

It's an excellent suggestion. I have just looked it up and found bus 33 that runs along the shore to the First Landing State Park.

Victoria
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

I'll be getting to Virginia Beach from D.C. using Amtrak to Norfolk and then an Amtrak-affiliated bus. And so I chose a hotel within walking distance from the bus stop. If there is a bus from my hotel to Shore Drive beaches I may try it. But the thing I liked the most was the direct access from my hotel to the ocean.
Public transportation in the tidewater metro area (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, etc) is not very good. Uber might work though. There is an aquarium south of Rudee Inlet which is a nice way to spend some time. As mentioned previously, First Landing State park is good for a hike. One of the trails ends at a spot called the Narrows which is on a tributary to the Chesapeake Bay so very calm waters. You didn't mention dining but you will find plenty of good choices near the boardwalk.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ekid wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:57 pm I find it to be a really Long beach. People are spread out a lot- not what you see in pics of the French Riviera. I walked all the way south to the mouth of a small creek and the sand got a little muddy but there are miles (well, a mile) from there north.

Years ago, there were Russian students in an apartment house nearby owned by an oligarch. I heard the name but forgot.
Thank you, ekid,

This is good information. Not only the cost of this trip will be a fraction of the French Riviera but there will also be more space on the beach and an opportunity for a long walk. If a Russian oligarch chose to live there, it must be a good place. (This is a statement about Russian oligarchs' tastes, not their morals.)

Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Conch55 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:09 pm
Public transportation in the tidewater metro area (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, etc) is not very good. Uber might work though. There is an aquarium south of Rudee Inlet which is a nice way to spend some time. As mentioned previously, First Landing State park is good for a hike. One of the trails ends at a spot called the Narrows which is on a tributary to the Chesapeake Bay so very calm waters. You didn't mention dining but you will find plenty of good choices near the boardwalk.
Thank you again, Conch55,

I'll check out the aquarium if I have more non-beach time after the First Landing State Park. I don't have a smartphone and therefore can't use Uber. But I suppose in August there will be taxis in tourist areas. Otherwise, buses will do. I am used to using them and tolerate unreliable schedules rather well.

I did see on a map a lot of restaurants in the vicinity of my hotel.

Victoria
ekid

Post by ekid »

Well, I'm fairly confident the oligarch didn't live there. He was said to have invested in the building (or complex) and made rooms available for special prices- to eastern European and Asian students working. There was an official program-

It is indeed a popular area with all the amenities.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Bike rentals are plentiful if you want to go that route. The boardwalk is pretty long and evening entertainment is sometimes available.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Also, RT 35 covers the oceanfront, the state park, and Shore Drive.

"ROUTE 35 • BAYFRONT SHUTTLE
Route 35 provides seasonal service between Atlantic Avenue / 3rd Street and Shore Drive / Pleasure House Road in Virginia Beach.

Route 35 will service the Oceanfront, First Landing State Park, North End beaches, Chesapeake Bay beaches, and Bayfront restaurants on Shore Drive.

MAY 15 – LABOR DAY • DAILY
SEPTEMBER 9 – SEPTEMBER 30 • FRI-SAT-SUN
8:00 AM – 12:00 AM • ABOUT EVERY 30 MINUTES"
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ekid wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:19 pm Well, I'm fairly confident the oligarch didn't live there. He was said to have invested in the building (or complex) and made rooms available for special prices- to eastern European and Asian students working. There was an official program-

It is indeed a popular area with all the amenities.
I wonder what has happened to the students given the sanctions against Russian oligarchs. But that's a different topic.

It's good to know that it's a popular area, and I'll stop doubting my choice. By the end of August, I'll have my own insights.

Victoria
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

?? Nobody swims much at the beach. All you are supposed to do is wade into the water, maybe dunk your head under, then get out, sun bathe, build sand castles, and read books. Also walk the beach talking to your friends. That's about it. Some folks will use boogie boards to catch waves and some will do surf fishing. Swimming? Nope!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

The Oceanfront area will be very busy with families and day trippers especially on weekends.

It helps that the beach is wide and long.

The North End beaches will be more naturally scenic, Oceanfront area more for people watching.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

livesoft wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:35 pm ?? Nobody swims much at the beach. All you are supposed to do is wade into the water, maybe dunk your head under, then get out, sun bathe, build sand castles, and read books. Also walk the beach talking to your friends. That's about it. Some folks will use boogie boards to catch waves and some will do surf fishing. Swimming? Nope!
I pride myself on doing things that nobody does.

I prefer to swim in an ocean, rather than in a swimming pool, because the water does not contain chemicals and may even have some healing properties. But I am not a good swimmer and don't want to take my chances with rip tides and alike. Perhaps, I will bring a flotation belt to make sure that I can actually swim. That will place me in the group of five-year olds, which is a great age to be in.

Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

andypanda wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:25 pm Also, RT 35 covers the oceanfront, the state park, and Shore Drive.

"ROUTE 35 • BAYFRONT SHUTTLE
Route 35 provides seasonal service between Atlantic Avenue / 3rd Street and Shore Drive / Pleasure House Road in Virginia Beach.

Route 35 will service the Oceanfront, First Landing State Park, North End beaches, Chesapeake Bay beaches, and Bayfront restaurants on Shore Drive.

#35 - MAY 15 – LABOR DAY • DAILY
Excellent! I may even be able to try flat shallow water of the bay beaches near Shore Drive.

Victoria
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

If your room faces the ocean, if interested bring binoculars and consult various websites to identify ships entering Hampton Roads. About an hour's walk (four miles) north of the boardwalk is Cape Henry Lighthouse if interested - 191 steps.https://preservationvirginia.org/histor ... ighthouse/
note military base entry requirements.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:54 pm If your room faces the ocean, if interested bring binoculars and consult various websites to identify ships entering Hampton Roads. About an hour's walk (four miles) north of the boardwalk is Cape Henry Lighthouse if interested.https://preservationvirginia.org/histor ... ighthouse/
note military base entry requirements.
Thank you, Mr. Rumples!

I will bring binoculars and may try Cape Henry Lighthouse. Bus #35 will take me there but I may also decide to walk at least one way.

Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

stan1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:37 pm The Oceanfront area will be very busy with families and day trippers especially on weekends.

It helps that the beach is wide and long.

The North End beaches will be more naturally scenic, Oceanfront area more for people watching.
Thank you, stan1,

I am optimizing for public transportation which forces me into people watching. But on the days when the water is non-swimmable, I'll explore the park, Lighthouse, and beaches to the North and the Aquarium to the South.

It's funny that when I started this thread 2 hours ago, I was wondering if it was a good decision to book this trip. Now, I am thinking that if it goes well, I'll do it again.

Victoria
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Near the lighthouse is First Landing Cross and a statue of Admiral DeGrasse. It's hard to imagine but off this site was the Battle of the Capes. https://www.nps.gov/came/index.htm
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
rich126

Post by rich126 »

andypanda wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:38 pm July and August are the hot months with high humidity in Virginia. I've been in Richmond since 1972 and we are only 100 miles northwest of VA Beach, but the weather is the same and James River is tidal all the way from Hampton Roads to the I-95 bridge in downtown Richmond.

86° Air Temperature
82° Water Temperature
9.6 Hrs of Sun / Day
13.5 Days of Rain"

You obviously never had a swimming pool in Arizona. That was true bath water temperatures in the 90s. Personally I find 82 chilly.

I've never been an ocean swimmer. If I'm swimming it is in a pool.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

I've been through 75 summers in southeastern Virginia (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News). The weather is usually hot and humid then. The peak of the summer weather is usually the last week or so of July and the first week or so of August. YMMV.

Ocean swimming should be OK during that time. I think the stinging nettles in the bay will have peaked by then. They shouldn't be a problem at all in Virginia Beach.

Have a good vacation.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

RadAudit wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:24 pm I've been through 75 summers in southeastern Virginia (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News). The weather is usually hot and humid then. The peak of the summer weather is usually the last week or so of July and the first week or so of August. YMMV.

Ocean swimming should be OK during that time. I think the stinging nettles in the bay will have peaked by then. They shouldn't be a problem at all in Virginia Beach.

Have a good vacation.
Thank you, RadAudit,

The weather is usually hot and humid here in Northern Virginia. I hope that sea breeze will make it more tolerable near the beach. And I'll watch out for stinging nettles in the First Landing State Park.

Victoria
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

NAS Oceana isn’t too far from the boardwalk, so you will get to hear (and see) the Navy pilots overhead. There is a spot right outside the base you can go to watch, but I don’t know how accessible that is by bus.

The Neptune man is at 30th (or there about) near the Hilton, and a good photo op :)
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"The weather is usually hot and humid here in Northern Virginia. "

The breeze at the beach helps a great deal compared to the DC area. My high school years were spent in Rockville MD/North Bethesda.

"What temperature bath is best for sore muscles?
90 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit"

Too hot for me. I'm naturally hot and always looking to cool off.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:16 pm I have booked four nights in an ocean-front hotel in Virginia Beach in August 2023. Now, I am having seconds thoughts whether the water will be good enough for swimming. The hotel was easily available and the photos show high waves.

Please provide any feedback about a beach stay in Virginia Beach.

Thank you,
Victoria
Virginia Beach doesn't have big waves. The water will be warm. There might be jellyfish but that should be your only worry.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I looked at a job in the VA Beach area about 20 years ago, and was attracted to an area along the south side called Sandbridge Beach. Far from the commercial strip, there was not much action there...it was relatively unspoiled and secluded and the beach was lovely.
I have no idea what it is like now (others here could maybe clue you in), but assuming it has not changed much, if you want to get away from the hustle you might want to check it out.
Fogbank

Post by Fogbank »

protagonist wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:09 pm I looked at a job in the VA Beach area about 20 years ago, and was attracted to an area along the south side called Sandbridge Beach. Far from the commercial strip, there was not much action there...it was relatively unspoiled and secluded and the beach was lovely.
I have no idea what it is like now (others here could maybe clue you in), but assuming it has not changed much, if you want to get away from the hustle you might want to check it out.
Sandbridge is still pretty neat, it is definitely away from the hustle and bustle. More like a small beachside family-oriented community. Lots of houses for rent. Uber might be the only way to get down there from the Oceanfront.... Unless you are content to just spend 8 hours on the beach, you would run out of things to do there very quickly.

OP: I hope you enjoy your trip. The Oceanfront is pretty nice, some parts are better than others... And they have done a lot of work in the last several years on the boardwalk etc. It has some character. A lot of the hustle and bustle is on and around Atlantic Ave (parallel to the boardwalk.)

I do a lot of fishing out of Rudee Inlet so I am over there pretty often. It can get a little crazy at night, VB is a large city with all of the associated problems.

The main Oceanfront area is kind of spread out, the boardwalk is about 3 miles long I think, so if there is a restaurant you want to try it can require a bit of walking, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My favorite seafood restaurant is Rockafellers, which is about 1/2 mile from the Oceanfront. Definitely also try Kohr Brother's Custard. They have a couple of stands on Atlantic Ave.

Bon Voyage!
River in Sight

Post by River in Sight »

I’ve done this trip many times with my family via Amtrak. I hate the traffic on the drive there and if you book in advance it’s as low as $19. Typically works well and I prefer the routing via Norfolk (vs Newport News) as it’s a much shorter bus ride.

We typically take the VB “Wave” (Trolley) for First Landing and I highly recommend visiting there. Sometimes the oceanfront waves can get on the larger side but First Landing is always calm. There’s a visitors center with bathrooms and a little shop and it’s much quieter than the oceanfront.

At Virginia Beach, there isn’t a station; the bus just lets off on the side of the road a couple of blocks from the oceanfront and picks up at the same spot.

In general, the further north you are on the oceanfront, the nicer it is. I generally like to stay at least at 26th street or north.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

VictoriaF wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:48 pm
Conch55 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:35 pm I am not sure what your specific concern is but Virginia Beach is not a big wave spot. Hurricanes are the most likely source of rough water that time of year though. Rip tides can be a problem at times but if you are an experienced swimmer you likely already know how to deal with those. The water is not especially clear and can be cool at times but okay in general.
Thank you, Conch55. I am not a good swimmer but I have not had a beach vacation for a long time and decided to try Virginia Beach. Hopefully, I'll miss a hurricane and recognize rip tides.

Victoria
Keep in mind that East Coast beach town vacations are about more than just going in the water. Sitting on the beach, flying a kite, taking a parasail ride, walking the Boardwalk, finding salt water taffy or freshly made caramel corn, walking the beach in the evenings, or enjoying restaurants, massages, sunsets -- these are all things available in and around Virginia Beach. Better yet, you can do these things even if the beach is closed with jellyfish or there's rough water or there was a storm the day before. When in that neck of the woods, we also stop by Williamsburg, or cross the Bay Bridge & Tunnel and hit the state parks for kayaking, crabbing, or other outdoor activities. Virginia Beach itself is for the touristy part with more social interaction, shops, bars, and resorts. We also mix it with nature and other activities.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Note rip tides are generally not visible. Its always wise to go into the water with someone else,

https://www.weather.gov/news/211309-7ripcurrent

The NWS has a rip tide forecast, but it's a difficult to find link sometimes. VA Beach appears to the bottom, ask Beach Patrol for the day's forecast. This is what it looks like:
https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/raw/fz/ ... rf.akq.txt
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

River in Sight wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:04 am I’ve done this trip many times with my family via Amtrak. I hate the traffic on the drive there and if you book in advance it’s as low as $19. Typically works well and I prefer the routing via Norfolk (vs Newport News) as it’s a much shorter bus ride.

We typically take the VB “Wave” (Trolley) for First Landing and I highly recommend visiting there. Sometimes the oceanfront waves can get on the larger side but First Landing is always calm. There’s a visitors center with bathrooms and a little shop and it’s much quieter than the oceanfront.

At Virginia Beach, there isn’t a station; the bus just lets off on the side of the road a couple of blocks from the oceanfront and picks up at the same spot.

In general, the further north you are on the oceanfront, the nicer it is. I generally like to stay at least at 26th street or north.
River in Sight,

Thank you, this is very helpful.

I have booked the same Amtrak trip as you have done, via Norfolk. I noted the $19 tickets but splurged for $59 each way in business class. I noted the location of the Amtrak-associated bus stop and chose an oceanfront hotel within a few blocks from it, so that I could walk to the hotel with a wheeled suitcase. After my first visit, if I decide to do it again, I may choose a hotel farther north.

Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:22 am Note rip tides are generally not visible. Its always wise to go into the water with someone else,

https://www.weather.gov/news/211309-7ripcurrent

The NWS has a rip tide forecast, but it's a difficult to find link sometimes. VA Beach appears to the bottom, ask Beach Patrol for the day's forecast. This is what it looks like:
https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/raw/fz/ ... rf.akq.txt
Thank you, Mr. Rumples,

I travel without communications and won't be able to check the rip tide forecast. But I assume that my hotel would have this information.

Victoria