Does it make sense to move if they are going to building 12 story building next to you?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catnamedspot

Does it make sense to move if they are going to building 12 story building next to you?

Post by catnamedspot »

[Political commentary removed by moderator Kendall.] They are now putting a 12 story building in our 1 story neighborhood and it will probably take 5 years. I'm thinking it will be pretty awful listening to jackhammers for that long. Would you move out and give up your house ? [Off-topic political content removed - moderator ClaycordJCA.].
sailaway

Re: Does it make sense to move if they are going to building 12 story building next to you?

Post by sailaway »

California did not eliminate local zoning. There were changes to how restrictive residential zoning can be.

I have lived within a few blocks of large scale construction and it was not the worst noise wise of what I have lived near. It wasn't even particularly bad most of the time. I would not even consider moving out.
UpperNwGuy

Re: Does it make sense to move if they are going to building 12 story building next to you?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I would move.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Just how close to you is it? Directly adjacent? Right across the street?

[Off topic quote removed by moderator Kendall.]
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

I would move. Not because of the construction but because if I wanted to live next to a building like that, I would have bought in such an area. (On the other hand, people like my daughter would be happy to be more “city”)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Regardless of zoning and discussions in that direction...

the point of the matter is if you want to live next to a 12 story building (after it is built) or in a quiet well established tree lined neighborhood of single family homes and sidewalks where people go fir long walks and children safely play. And, next door to you on the next 1/8 acre lot with a rolling lawn there's a friendly Golden Retriever named "Teddy" that loves to chase tennis balls.

where you live determines your lifestyle and quality of life.
Decide?
j🌺

dis laimer: having lived in and owned apartment buildings for most of my life, this is written with humor in mind. (satire)
dis laimer: a zillion ways to things and perspectives based on nil to zero to extensive experience, this is only one.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

[Off topic comments removed by moderator Kendall.]

Actionably, to think about a move:
How close are you to the offending property?
How much of the construction timeline even involves jackhammers?
What sales price do you get vs wherever else you'd go?
How interested are you in moving to your next best alternative?
Did you buy so long ago it hurts to give up your prop 13?
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

Yeah. You should move. Otherwise, you'll end up as a curmudgeon carping about how different the neighborhood has become.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

If you like the neighborhood maybe you could move into the new building (and look down on the hapless new owners of your house).
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

I’d stay. Neighborhoods change. That’s often good. You bought your house; you didn’t buy the right to the neighborhood remaining frozen in time.

Although I’ll admit, jackhammers are annoying.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I bought my current place because it sits in the middle of three acres of land on a dead end street where the average lot size is probably closer to five acres. I bought it specifically because it gives me a wide buffer between myself and neighbors. Obviously I would move if I were in your situation. But if I were used to living one block off of central park in New York City, my answer might be different.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

I would stay. But I generally don't care about that kind of stuff. If that's something you care about, which it seems like you do, then you should probably move instead of brooding in it for years until you move.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

It would be more like a year of the digging, or maybe less. The loudest part is usually front-loaded.

Seems like a big hassle to sell a house, move, and give up what’s probably a very cheap mortgage just to avoid noise for a year or two

Is it literally on the lot next door? If not, the noise will likely be more tolerable
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:25 pm Regardless of zoning and discussions in that direction...

the point of the matter is if you want to live next to a 12 story building (after it is built) or in a quiet well established tree lined neighborhood of single family homes and sidewalks where people go fir long walks and children safely play. And, next door to you on the next 1/8 acre lot with a rolling lawn there's a friendly Golden Retriever named "Teddy" that loves to chase tennis balls.

Decide?
j🌺
Just because a building has 12 stories doesn’t mean they are going to kill the trees, outlaw long walks, and threaten children’s safety …. Is not like people who live in apartments are all criminals guys. Sometimes people who can’t afford a Time Machine and a SFH on an acre of land are perfectly good people and respectful neighbors. The OP is probably exaggerating about the height of the building anyway, so it likely won’t even stick out in a 12-vs-1 story way
Last edited by muffins14 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
evancox10

Post by evancox10 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:25 pm Regardless of zoning and discussions in that direction...

Decide?
j🌺
As a resident of an apartment building, I am happy to inform you and OP that we also go on walks and have pets.

My suggestion to the OP is to wait and see. The reality may not be the same as your expectations.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Rather than construction noise or general concerns about more traffic I'd be more concerned if my home was in the shadows of a taller building. If it is in a shadow I personally would move. The shadow of a 12 story building is less than a 20-30 story building (there are several of those types of projects being built by me, including by public universities).

Where to move? Well for sure away from public transit lines but that's also why some people bought in their location. Walkable locations are going to get higher density. Also large plots of land owned by a single entity such as a regional or neighborhood shopping center or a golf course are prime targets for redevelopment.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

I might make sense. However, I've been impressed at much construction is going on everywhere around town. There are residential streets that you'd think would be quiet but where there's new construction with every other lot after a tear-down. There are neighborhoods which are unrecognizable compared to just 10 years ago. Twelve stories is quite a building so you'll have to imagine what it'll be like when it's done.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Density is Dirty. That 12 story building will pack more people, cars, trash, exhaust, parking problems, noise, crime, and more into a space that can't likely absorb such impacts.

If you decide to go, which I presume you mean sell and move, you will need to disclose the new project to buyers. Your property likely took a big hit on its value when the project was approved, so too late to prevent that.

[Off-topic comments removed by moderator ClaycordJCA].
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

I would wait and see what happens. You can always move if things get bad. Meanwhile the temporary construction noise can be blocked with Bose noise cancelling headphones (although I feel bad for pets subjected to the noise, so that may be a factor.)

Years ago I lived in a CA neighborhood of cozy bungalows, yards, tree lined streets, friendly neighbors. Over time it changed to McMansions with basically no yards, isolated families, totally ruined. I think the builders were using illegal labor, as the workers lived in the partly built houses and used power tools at all hours. The police had no interest in enforcing the noise ordinance. Slowly the same thing is happening to where I live now, also lots of wildlife habitat destroyed. I don't know the solution to this unless you have a zillion dollars and can use it to buy up a lot of surrounding property.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

This topic is locked (general complaint, political commentary, topic exhausted). See: Non-actionable or Trolling Topics
Non-actionable or Trolling Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
See also: Locked Topics
Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
OP, if you seek further input beyond general political responses, post a narrow question with enough details so that respondents can help you analyze your individual decision.