Home Security Systems - Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ReadyOne

Home Security Systems - Recommendations

Post by ReadyOne »

Background:

Modest size single story home

Low crime suburban area

No current security system; no experience with one

Starting to travel more so feel the need for some type of security system

Goals are deterrence and timely awareness and response to an incident

Questions:

What system do you use?

Was it self or third party installed?

Do you use a monitoring service?

What was the upfront and ongoing costs?

What do you recommend?

Thank you!
guyfromct

Re: Home Security Systems - Recommendations

Post by guyfromct »

We have ADT, they installed it.

I’d argue it’s only worthwhile with a monitoring service. We get 10% off our homeowners for that we also have fire and CO beyond a burglar alarm.

Upfront was around $800 this included 2 smoke detectors, 1 CO, 3 glass break sensors, 16 window/door alarms, 2 remotes, a touchscreen panel. Price included all of that and professional install.

Ongoing is $35/month.
Pops1860

Post by Pops1860 »

This thread has been moved to the “Personal Consumer Issues” forum. Moderator Pops1860
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it. ~George Bernard Shaw
Gort

Post by Gort »

From experience I can tell you what not to get - ADT. They lock you into a long contract which is very costly to break (they charge you 75% of the remaining contract balance). I broke my contract because of a cross-country move and I didn't want or need a security system at the new location. I paid $600 to break the contract. ADT offered to credit the early termination fee into a new system and contract at the new house but the new monthly fee was much more than what I was previously paying so it just meant continuing service at a higher monthly price that I didn't want to pay or need. After the contract was cancelled by me, ADT kept calling and offered a simple portable do-it-yourself install at a slightly lower monthly fee as compared to their dealer installed system. They still wanted a long contract. I declined. They kept calling and I finally told them to stop and they did. I still get their promotional mailings. Perhaps most importantly, ADT doesn't provide an immediate first responder activation meaning that if an alarm goes off, ADT will first call YOU to verify if the alarm is legitimate. If they can't reach you they will then call someone that you listed as a secondary contact. If they can't reach your secondary contact, ADT will the call the appropriate first responder. They say they do this to reduce the number of reported false alarms. That might be true but it also delays response to your house in a true emergency which might have negative consequences. I'm not familiar with other alarm companies, maybe someone here can provide their input.
Good luck!
Gort
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

We were in the situation a while back. Security systems are basically worthless to stop burglaries. Our city responds to residential alarms with the lowest priority (if they even respond), and will only come with lights and sirens if you are home and/or someone confirms an intruder is in the house. I also found that it’s an inconvenience to turn it on and off every time you leave and come home. We left it off 99% of the time, but we have two big dogs.

The only reason we still want an alarm is for life safety. Fire, flood, CO2. There are a ton of online monitoring services that are dirt cheap and can reprogram your existing alarm system to work with their monitoring (as long as you don’t have a proprietary ADT/Brinks/Vivant system). For about $10/month, you get app access and centrally monitored fire, flood, CO2 and burglary (if you arm the alarm). To me, that’s worth the price, just so we don’t have to worry about a burst pipe or a fire when we are at work or on vacation.

If you do get an alarm system, stay far, far away from ADT, Vivant, etc. Complete ripoffs.

Our home is pretty new, and it came completely outfitted with a hardwired alarm system that wasn’t locked to ADT or any other company. I HATE the new wireless systems from ADT, Simplisafe, etc. The sensors are big and ugly and require batteries. WIth a true hardwired system, you can’t even see any of the sensors so it doesn’t ruin the look of the house.

If deterrence is your goal, buy a few ADT yard signs from eBay. But a really determined burglar is going to get in and out regardless of whether you have an alarm or not.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:35 pm We were in the situation a while back. Security systems are basically worthless to stop burglaries. Our city responds to residential alarms with the lowest priority (if they even respond), and will only come with lights and sirens if you are home and/or someone confirms an intruder is in the house. I also found that it’s an inconvenience to turn it on and off every time you leave and come home. We left it off 99% of the time, but we have two big dogs.

The only reason we still want an alarm is for life safety. Fire, flood, CO2. There are a ton of online monitoring services that are dirt cheap and can reprogram your existing alarm system to work with their monitoring (as long as you don’t have a proprietary ADT/Brinks/Vivant system). For about $10/month, you get app access and centrally monitored fire, flood, CO2 and burglary (if you arm the alarm). To me, that’s worth the price, just so we don’t have to worry about a burst pipe or a fire when we are at work or on vacation.

If you do get an alarm system, stay far, far away from ADT, Vivant, etc. Complete ripoffs.

Our home is pretty new, and it came completely outfitted with a hardwired alarm system that wasn’t locked to ADT or any other company. I HATE the new wireless systems from ADT, Simplisafe, etc. The sensors are big and ugly and require batteries. WIth a true hardwired system, you can’t even see any of the sensors so it doesn’t ruin the look of the house.

If deterrence is your goal, buy a few ADT yard signs from eBay. But a really determined burglar is going to get in and out regardless of whether you have an alarm or not.
Great post really - +1.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

We're in a low crime suburban area too and have never seen the need for them. In many/most communities burglar alarms are a low priority response for the police and if you're off traveling, what are you going to do anyway? A fire alarm may have some merit, but the battery operated ones work just fine too for when your at home. Our only "security" item is a couple of Alexa Shows that we will drop in occasionally while we're away and "Yep, the house is still there..." is the usual refrain when we look. :). TBH, When we're away, our neighbors are aware and have our number should anything serious happen.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

How long do you travel for that makes you think you need one?

I'd start with various lights on timers to go on and off at different times. They even have lights that simulate TVs and throw off a blue light.

Have a neighbor get the mail or stop it while you're away.
sport

Post by sport »

We have a hard wired system installed by the builder. We have it monitored. We are in a low crime suburb. The main reason we want it is we keep the bedroom window open at night. Since the bedroom is on the first floor, there would be nothing to prevent an intruder from cutting the screen and lifting the window to climb in. We want to be able to sleep without having a concern about someone entering our room. The window alarm is set up to allow the window to be open about 4 inches. If the sash is raised any further than that, the alarm will activate. We have set off the alarm accidentally. The interior horn is loud enough to get anyone's immediate attention.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

ReadyOne wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:43 am Goals are deterrence and timely awareness and response to an incident
You might want to include things like water leak detection warnings if you add the system.

In our city the police will not respond to an alarm unless there is video evidence confirming an intrusion, so keep that in mind. They also require an annual alarm permit and charge for responding to a false alarm (if the "intruder" is a Golden Retriever or neighbor taking care of plants). Your location may be different.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ReadyOne wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:43 am Goals are deterrence and timely awareness and response to an incident

Questions:

What system do you use?
Was it self or third party installed?
Do you use a monitoring service?
What was the upfront and ongoing costs?
We go for the passive deterrence approach. Our cameras are visible on the outside of the house. However, based on what others have said before me, actually stopping a determined thief is impossible. So many people have systems that alert companies that alert local police who may or may not arrive long after the thief has gone. Instead, our system just records things silently 24/7 for three weeks before it rewrites over itself. Perhaps that footage might help in identifying suspects after the fact.

Our system is by Speco and is PoE so it is easy to install, doesn't need power at the source. We chose the dome cameras versus the bullet style so that it deters birds, insects and other things calling them a home. I also think the dome covers help protect the electronics from humidity and cold better. It also disguises the direction they are looking so while they don't actually cover 360 degrees, it looks like it from the perspective of a thief.

It is super simple to install. Just run an ethernet cable for the NVR to the camera. In my case, I hid my NVR inside a wall in my basement so it is invisible short of someone with knowledge, a impact gun with the proper bit and some time on their hands. I do have a cable, one of many, that runs for that area to my office computer so I can view footage there live or copy it and send it to the police if they ask. (They know I have one camera that looks down the driveway to the street so they use that if they suspect their suspect went by my place to determine timing.)

Although it comes with motion detecting capabilities, I long ago disabled those. It was nearly impossible to configure them so you weren't living life constantly logging into the app on your phone to see a bush blow in the breeze, a squirrel run down the sidewalk or a spider crawl over the lens. I basically only view stored video when I see something odd and want to confirm what it is, like how did that racoon die beside the firepit.

The only cost is the initial cost of the equipment. There is no monthly fees and storage of videos is free until they are overwritten after three weeks and that time is only determined by the size of the hard drive it came with and is easily upgradable.
WOMoney

Post by WOMoney »

I use simplisafe monitored for 27.99 a month. That's just door sensors and I plan to add fire to it soon. I haven't had an issue with them at all.

I live in a higher crime area and I also installed door armor to my exterior doors. Haven't used it yet, and hopefully it works if I need it.

I'm huge on security in depth.. so my exterior lights turn on 30mins before the sunsets and stay on all night. Then turn off when the sunrises.

I have very noticable cameras that record 24/7. 3 on the front, one on the side watching my gate, and then some interior ones that give my wife peace of mind while I'm gone. (these are installed by me and record to a server in my house)

So my layered security is, that my house is extremely well lit at night. Then you can see all my cameras, then if you really want to try, the doors are supposed to be very hard to kick in, then the alarm would go off.

Keeps my wife happy while I'm away and I'm always adding cameras (because it's a hobby I can justify lol)
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

sport wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:09 pm We have a hard wired system installed by the builder. We have it monitored. We are in a low crime suburb. The main reason we want it is we keep the bedroom window open at night. Since the bedroom is on the first floor, there would be nothing to prevent an intruder from cutting the screen and lifting the window to climb in. We want to be able to sleep without having a concern about someone entering our room. The window alarm is set up to allow the window to be open about 4 inches. If the sash is raised any further than that, the alarm will activate. We have set off the alarm accidentally. The interior horn is loud enough to get anyone's immediate attention.
They turn the power off.
sport

Post by sport »

smitcat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:57 pm
sport wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:09 pm We have a hard wired system installed by the builder. We have it monitored. We are in a low crime suburb. The main reason we want it is we keep the bedroom window open at night. Since the bedroom is on the first floor, there would be nothing to prevent an intruder from cutting the screen and lifting the window to climb in. We want to be able to sleep without having a concern about someone entering our room. The window alarm is set up to allow the window to be open about 4 inches. If the sash is raised any further than that, the alarm will activate. We have set off the alarm accidentally. The interior horn is loud enough to get anyone's immediate attention.
They turn the power off.
It has a battery backup.
elforeign

Post by elforeign »

Does anyone have a ring alarm system or use their outdoor cameras that can speak about their experience?
WOMoney

Post by WOMoney »

elforeign wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:05 pm Does anyone have a ring alarm system or use their outdoor cameras that can speak about their experience?
I don't have a ring alarm system or outdoor cameras.. but I hang out around ipcamtalk forums and there's this thread: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/the-typic ... etc.62457/

Main issue with those systems is that it's cloud based and most the time you have to pay to get access to your own footage. And the quality is very clear the day, but most crime happens at night. That being said, those systems just don't have the specs to capture a good picture at night with motion.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

After reading all this, I'm getting the sense that a couple of German Shepherds is the best solution. Are there really, no good, cost effective alarm systems out there that would protect one's home from an intruder ?
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

BernardShakey wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:07 pm After reading all this, I'm getting the sense that a couple of German Shepherds is the best solution. Are there really, no good, cost effective alarm systems out there that would protect one's home from an intruder ?

One thing to consider, in case of an intruder (although this wouldn't work in all circumstances) is to have a duress code.
That is, for example, if someone forces their way in with you when you are arriving and you need to disarm the door, or someone enters while you are home and the alarm sounds, they may "insist" that you "disarm it".
With a duress code, you enter that code instead of the regular one. It appears "just fine" from your side. You disarm, the alarm stops, etc. All good, seemingly.

However, on the other end, a "duress code" is noted and then, there is NOT a call to ask if you are okay; they know you are not. The police are called. What happens after that would presumably depend upon your local PD.
You'd need to have a code that you would remember under... duress...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

What I did:

Buy some authentic looking security signs and make them visible in the front / back yards. Crooks will move to the next house that doesn't display a security warning.

--- Brian
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

1. Determine if you need monitored or not:
- If you 100% of the time respond to every alert on your phone within seconds, you may be ok with an unmonitored system. If you sometimes miss a notification or text because you do things that involve your attention as opposed to having your phone at the ready, you may wish for the system to be monitored. I wanted a monitored system, so then monitoring costs and contracts came into play.

2. Determine the primary and backup systems
Most modern alarms have the plug in power as their primary power, and internet as their primary communication. I wanted backup for both with battery backup and cell backup.

3. Determine if your house is wired for a system or not:
- If it is prewired, there are usually local companies who can set you up. If not wired, then you probably want wireless and can probably do that yourself.

4. Determine if you will also get cams. If your system is monitored and there is an intrusion alarm, some local jurisdictions will not send the police unless the monitoring company can confirm there is an actual intrusion, which is done via video. Yes there are all sorts of cam systems, but in the event of an issue, you want your cam system immediately accessible to the monitoring company.

5. Determine if you are monitoring for fire, smoke, CO (personal safety), intrusion (personal safety and property safety), leak (property safety) or other.

6. Determine how your home is set up - if you have alot of windows you may wish to be sure you get a system that has a glass break detector instead of dozens of window/door position switches.

After looking at all the available systems, I settled on Abode, and pay $18.33/m for monitoring because I pay a year in advance. I could pay monthly for $19.99. There is no long term contract, they system has a cell backup and battery backup, it was dead simple to install (if you can swab a cotton ball of alcohol and peel a mounting sticker, you can install it). I got a few of their cams which could be better but they are not terrible. I have one inside that I only plug in when I leave (on a plug that only supplies power when system is set to away). I like that they system lets me monitor for fire, smoke, co, intrusion as well as water leaks. A motorized valve controller automatically shuts off the main water valve to the house if any of the leak detectors report a leak. I'm reasonably happy with the system, a bit discouraged with Abodes tech support and slowness to introduce new products, but not enough to make me change.

If I were to make the decision again today I would probably still select Abode; for those who use HomeKit, it connects to that and you can control the entire thing from HomeKit. Those who don't object to Amazon may also consider Ring, as they recently added a true glass break detector to their system, and monitoring costs are similar. Google Nest used to also be a contender with especially high quality cams to go along with the window & door monitors, but Google is no longer selling monitoring for that system; Brinks took it over and also announced they wills top selling monitoring for the Nest sometime this year.
elforeign

Post by elforeign »

WOMoney wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:47 pm
elforeign wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:05 pm Does anyone have a ring alarm system or use their outdoor cameras that can speak about their experience?
I don't have a ring alarm system or outdoor cameras.. but I hang out around ipcamtalk forums and there's this thread: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/the-typic ... etc.62457/

Main issue with those systems is that it's cloud based and most the time you have to pay to get access to your own footage. And the quality is very clear the day, but most crime happens at night. That being said, those systems just don't have the specs to capture a good picture at night with motion.
Thank you for your response! I wonder if some people mitigate the quality issues by running motion-sensing floodlights at night
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

Saving$ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:43 am 1. Determine if you need monitored or not:
- If you 100% of the time respond to every alert on your phone within seconds, you may be ok with an unmonitored system. If you sometimes miss a notification or text because you do things that involve your attention as opposed to having your phone at the ready, you may wish for the system to be monitored. I wanted a monitored system, so then monitoring costs and contracts came into play.

Most modern alarms have the plug in power as their primary power, and internet as their primary communication. I wanted backup for both with battery backup and cell backup.

- If it is prewired, there are usually local companies who can set you up. If not wired, then you probably want wireless and can probably do that yourself.

4. Determine if you will also get cams. If your system is monitored and there is an intrusion alarm, some local jurisdictions will not send the police unless the monitoring company can confirm there is an actual intrusion, which is done via video. Yes there are all sorts of cam systems, but in the event of an issue, you want your cam system immediately accessible to the monitoring company.

5. Determine if you are monitoring for fire, smoke, CO (personal safety), intrusion (personal safety and property safety), leak (property safety) or other.

6. Determine how your home is set up - if you have alot of windows you may wish to be sure you get a system that has a glass break detector instead of dozens of window/door position switches.

After looking at all the available systems, I settled on Abode, and pay $18.33/m for monitoring because I pay a year in advance. I could pay monthly for $19.99. There is no long term contract, they system has a cell backup and battery backup, it was dead simple to install (if you can swab a cotton ball of alcohol and peel a mounting sticker, you can install it). I got a few of their cams which could be better but they are not terrible. I have one inside that I only plug in when I leave (on a plug that only supplies power when system is set to away). I like that they system lets me monitor for fire, smoke, co, intrusion as well as water leaks. A motorized valve controller automatically shuts off the main water valve to the house if any of the leak detectors report a leak. I'm reasonably happy with the system, a bit discouraged with Abodes tech support and slowness to introduce new products, but not enough to make me change.

If I were to make the decision again today I would probably still select Abode; for those who use HomeKit, it connects to that and you can control the entire thing from HomeKit. Those who don't object to Amazon may also consider Ring, as they recently added a true glass break detector to their system, and monitoring costs are similar. Google Nest used to also be a contender with especially high quality cams to go along with the window & door monitors, but Google is no longer selling monitoring for that system; Brinks took it over and also announced they wills top selling monitoring for the Nest sometime this year.
I just ordered an Abode system to try out with a new home. I already setup lots of google nest cameras since I like those a lot. It claims to work with Google home, we'll see.

It looked like the most flexible DIY system that would work with my existing smoke detectors hard wired. Plus it had options for invisible door open detectors which simpli safe did not.
Pyramid44

Post by Pyramid44 »

We have homes on both coasts and need to monitor the empty one.

We not only wanted intruder detection but also.
Water leak detection
Heating failure detection
Fire detection
Carbon monoxide detection

Since we monitor all four items we got a break on our home owners policy.

If you wish to monitor those four items check with your insurance company and see who the have a deal with which would get you a discount on the security service

We have two different insurance companies so we picked out Simply Safe as our provider so we have one dashboard for both locations.

Comes with a base station cameras door/window sensors. We added on one smoke detector, one carbon monoxide, one temperature sensor, and a water sensors for bathrooms, laundry, kitchen. It works well for us.

We also have wyze bulbs in lamps which are programmed for on and off. It also allowed us to turn on lights for the fire dept to check out carbon monoxide alarm.

Lots of choices available in dyi alarms.
Choose happiness.
flarf

Post by flarf »

Insurance company requires a centrally monitored alarm at our weekend/summer place. They're more concerned about fire than burglary.

A local company did the installation and handles the monitoring. We're doing some renovations, the owner came by to plan out additional sensors and the tech is great.

The wind blew a door open one time that wasn't securely latched shut and triggered the alarm. The police were there in no time... I think they were excited to have something to do (and then we got a stern letter from the police department saying any more false alarms would trigger a $25 fee).

But there are other things way more insightful than the security system. I would highly recommend adding water leak sensors and/or a whole-home water leak detector that goes on your main plumbing line (Moen Flo or similar). Wifi thermostats are great for making sure the HVAC system is working properly. Others have mentioned cameras -- lots of options there with no recurring fee. Smart switches (e.g. Lutron Caseta) can be programmed to have lighting come on at different times...
Journeyman510

Post by Journeyman510 »

I use a local company called Bay Alarm.
Babyboomer58

Post by Babyboomer58 »

My German Shepherd is the best home security system.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Strong recommendation against ADT. My inlaws had a monitored ADT system. Fire started around 130am in attached garage, and my 84 year old WWII hero father in law managed to get everyone out before the house burned to the ground. They lost everything but their pajamas. Yes, they should have had some of the non-ADT fire alarm monitors as backups, but ADT alarm and monitoring also should have worked but it failed and with disastrous consequences.

I'm a believer in alarms systems, and have done both DIY and the pro install route, currently using a pro install. Depending on the marginal cost, the pro install can be worth the money. My monitoring is $10/month.

Homes with alarm systems are not robbed as often as those that don't have alarms. Predators want an easy in and out, and they don't want to get caught. If your home is a hard target, they will move to an easier target.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

We still have our 34 year-old Ademco system installed during construction of our home. Although the original install was all hardwired, we added a couple of wireless sensors when we enclosed our screened back porch.

For a few years we had monitoring, but discontinued when DW retired. DW had a person break into her childhood home and was awakened by the intruder when he came into her bedroom. Thankfully the person fled when he saw she was awake. So, once we had a home with a system there was never going back. Though, I certainly have no issue with her wanting to keep the system working. Other than batteries for backup, the only thing we have had to address was a bad wired sensor that had a broken wire. It was had been added to our garage door, and we needed to get a repair call. $110 over 34 years is OK.

Our entire subdivision was built by one builder, so all the homes have systems. With all the retirees, any alarm will be heard. For close friends, codes and keys are shared.

Today it is a simple task of installing a system, no need to run wires to every door and window. If one is absolutely going to have monitoring, I would have the monitoring service install.

ADT does have a reputation that isn't all that great in some areas, we had no issues with them when they were monitoring. A few months ago ADT had a person in the neighborhood selling systems/monitoring. He asked if ADT was monitoring our home as he saw an ADT yard sign. I told him no, but I was providing advertising for the company. He laughed and moved on.

There are many monitoring companies around here that charge much less than ADT. Most systems around us are triggered by people who clean the homes and forget to turn them off when they enter the home.

Modern systems can monitor lots more things today than the old wired systems.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Babyboomer58 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:43 pm My German Shepherd is the best home security system.
Yes, that reminds me of the time I came home to find a business card from the FBI district office. I called, and the agent said he wanted to speak with me. I asked home or office? He replied "I saw your GSD, and I will come to your office."
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Babyboomer58 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:43 pm My German Shepherd is the best home security system.
Those German made security systems are awesome!

The Belgian made ones are pretty good, also.
daw007

Post by daw007 »

Interestingly, there was a recent article about security dogs. You can get one that is special trained but not cheap...

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... s-security

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/us/12dogs.html
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Gadget wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:11 pm
Saving$ wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:43 am 1. Determine if you need monitored or not:

I just ordered an Abode system to try out with a new home. I already setup lots of google nest cameras since I like those a lot. It claims to work with Google home, we'll see.

It looked like the most flexible DIY system that would work with my existing smoke detectors hard wired. Plus it had options for invisible door open detectors which simpli safe did not.
How do you like your Abode system? Did you see that Abode just announced a new Google Cam integration? Is that working for you?
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

Saving$ wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:48 am
How do you like your Abode system? Did you see that Abode just announced a new Google Cam integration? Is that working for you?
I did see that Abode lets Nest cameras integrate now. I just set that up. Not entirely sure what to do with it. The app isn't as slick as the new google home app public preview, so I'm not going to be controlling any Nest cameras in it. I'll probably just remove permissions.

I'm basically going with the free Abode option though, which just gives me notifications of any alerts. I can't do automation or anything advanced, and I'm not monitoring. So really I just have it setup to do water leak detection, smoke detection via sound from my hardwired smoke detectors, and glass break sensing. So I might not be the best reviewer for Abode. I wanted it to do a really limited subset of things, and it does that for me. For security, I rely on all my Nest cameras to detect people. This house location is remote enough that no cameras will even detect neighbors. I just get notifications for deer, birds, racoons, etc...

So to answer your question, I like my Abode system. But I use such a small subset of its functionality that I'm not sure I'm a good reviewer. I definitely would rather have my Nest Camera setup over the Abode system for security if I had to pick and pay for one.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Gadget wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:35 pm
Saving$ wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:48 am
I did see that Abode lets Nest cameras integrate now. I just set that up. Not entirely sure what to do with it. The app isn't as slick as the new google home app public preview, so I'm not going to be controlling any Nest cameras in it. I'll probably just remove permissions.

I'm basically going with the free Abode option though, which just gives me notifications of any alerts. I can't do automation or anything advanced, and I'm not monitoring. So really I just have it setup to do water leak detection, smoke detection via sound from my hardwired smoke detectors, and glass break sensing. So I might not be the best reviewer for Abode. I wanted it to do a really limited subset of things, and it does that for me. For security, I rely on all my Nest cameras to detect people. This house location is remote enough that no cameras will even detect neighbors. I just get notifications for deer, birds, racoons, etc...

So to answer your question, I like my Abode system. But I use such a small subset of its functionality that I'm not sure I'm a good reviewer. I definitely would rather have my Nest Camera setup over the Abode system for security if I had to pick and pay for one.
Thanks for the follow up. Glad you like it. I understand not paying for CUE automations or for monitoring if you need either. Some people who have Apple TV's or Apple HomePods report setting up Apple Home Kit and integrating Abode with that so that they can use the Abode sensors for automations.
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

No system will prevent a determined burglar. We have a system to keep honest people honest (maid, plumber, etc.). These are people who have had a key in their possession. We also have smoke detectors. It's monitored. In a prior life our house was burgled. An alarm might have deterred them before they stole our stuff.

My hope is a criminal would pick an easier target. The goal is to look more secure/less attractive than other possible targets.
neo_ny

Post by neo_ny »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:35 pm The only reason we still want an alarm is for life safety. Fire, flood, CO2. There are a ton of online monitoring services that are dirt cheap and can reprogram your existing alarm system to work with their monitoring (as long as you don’t have a proprietary ADT/Brinks/Vivant system). For about $10/month, you get app access and centrally monitored fire, flood, CO2 and burglary (if you arm the alarm). To me, that’s worth the price, just so we don’t have to worry about a burst pipe or a fire when we are at work or on vacation.
You mind sharing some additional details on companies that reprogram your existing hardwired security system? Thanks!
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

neo_ny wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:09 am
NYCaviator wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:35 pm The only reason we still want an alarm is for life safety. Fire, flood, CO2. There are a ton of online monitoring services that are dirt cheap and can reprogram your existing alarm system to work with their monitoring (as long as you don’t have a proprietary ADT/Brinks/Vivant system). For about $10/month, you get app access and centrally monitored fire, flood, CO2 and burglary (if you arm the alarm). To me, that’s worth the price, just so we don’t have to worry about a burst pipe or a fire when we are at work or on vacation.
You mind sharing some additional details on companies that reprogram your existing hardwired security system? Thanks!
I looked at GeoArm and SafeHomeCentral. Apparently if you have a newer system that can connect to the internet (either through ethernet or cellular) and also have the programming codes, you can switch over to them. They are very cheap for UL monitoring. Unfortunately our system got locked to ADT at some point so we are going to have to replace the control panel and keypads for it to work with a third party company.
neo_ny

Post by neo_ny »

NYCaviator wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:37 pm
neo_ny wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:09 am
I looked at GeoArm and SafeHomeCentral. Apparently if you have a newer system that can connect to the internet (either through ethernet or cellular) and also have the programming codes, you can switch over to them. They are very cheap for UL monitoring. Unfortunately our system got locked to ADT at some point so we are going to have to replace the control panel and keypads for it to work with a third party company.
Thanks! Will check them out!
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I had ADT for the longest time since the previous owners had it installed. We kept threatening to cancel it and they keep lowering the monthly subscription until it was down to around $15 / month. The problem was that the window sensors keep failing and throw a tamper alarm even though no one is near the sensor. It got so bad that we had to bypass 3 sensors. You can't replace the sensors on your own and ADT charges $80 for the sensor and $80 for the dispatch.

I finally made the jump and installed a ring system. In all, we spent maybe $400 when there was a deal and installed 2 keypads, 1 base station, 30+ door and window sensors, 1 camera. It was very easy. I can easily monitor even from being overseas and can turn on professional monitoring when I want. I pay $3 a month for cloud recording and professional monitoring is $20 which we enabled when we were overseas for a month.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.