tracking net worth and asset allocation

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Mike Scott

Re: tracking net worth and asset allocation

Post by Mike Scott »

I use some simple spreadsheets to track assets (plus the online instant xray tool), a very rough net worth estimate, a tax calculator and annual budget tracking with a view towards retirement planning. It could all be done on paper but it's convenient to use spreadsheets.
optimismhelps

Post by optimismhelps »

justawingingit wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:21 am
Oddball wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:10 am Whole picture snap shot I use Personal Capital.
I did too but now it hasn’t been able to sync Vanguard for weeks. I didn’t know how psychologically dependent on it I was until it stopped working!
+1 My Vanguard accts have not sync’s in several weeks either. Does anyone know what the issue is ? Other than that PC/Empower provides me with enough information that I am looking for.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

optimismhelps wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:45 pm
justawingingit wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:21 am
Oddball wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:10 am Whole picture snap shot I use Personal Capital.
I did too but now it hasn’t been able to sync Vanguard for weeks. I didn’t know how psychologically dependent on it I was until it stopped working!
+1 My Vanguard accts have not sync’s in several weeks either. Does anyone know what the issue is ? Other than that PC/Empower provides me with enough information that I am looking for.
My vanguard accounts, and my DW vanguard accounts, work no problem. There is a mortgage which needs to be reconnected a few times a year, and currently Citi hasn't updated in about a month. I just figure, you get what you pay for, and I pay $0 so I will just roll with it.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

I use both Tiller and Mint.
Imagolfer2

Post by Imagolfer2 »

Mr.BB wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:51 am I use Morningstar portfolio tracker

+1. I mirror my Vanguard accounts and manually update dividends and CG monthly.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Not totally sure this is a good thing but it seems at least once a month I find a way to either refine or slice & dice my spreadsheet that seems to provide more insight into our financial situation. That said if you are someone doing a complex spreadsheet with many tabs you probably need to put some forms of checks in so you can detect any errors you might make in formulas. I have not yet had a serious error pop up, but I do have them from time to time (usually error of omission) and checks have been very helpful in detecting and correct them quickly.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Garco

Post by Garco »

One thing I keep in mind is real property. My houses (in two cities). It's not a trivial amount. And there are maintenance costs and property taxes. But they are "real" property. They add about 20-25 percent to the value of my market investments and bank holdings. They are part of our "estate." Our net worth.
HeavyChevy

Post by HeavyChevy »

Garco wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:02 am One thing I keep in mind is real property. My houses (in two cities). It's not a trivial amount. And there are maintenance costs and property taxes. But they are "real" property. They add about 20-25 percent to the value of my market investments and bank holdings. They are part of our "estate." Our net worth.
I do add our two houses into net worth, but just as ballpark estimates of value. I don't update with every new value assessment or anything as formal as that.
"It's not the best move, but it is a move." - GMHikaru
iamfinethanku

Post by iamfinethanku »

I like this a lot.
Excel spreadsheet/google spreadsheet with nice visual for auto-updating stock price feature to help rebalancing/monthly investment:

https://www.physicianonfire.com/net-worth-tracker/
gogglesandscarf

Post by gogglesandscarf »

Spreadsheet with everything on it. Real estate, vehicles, etc.

Then I have various charts and graphs for calculating net worth, asset allocation, etc.

But the reality is that future income streams in retirement is what I am attempting to forecast.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I have a spreadsheet that I update probably about once a month, but I'm not on a regular schedule.

I manually update the amount of each fund, across two institutions. (Funds include stock index funds, total bond market index fund, stable value fund.) I've worked hard to streamline my estate. Some of the fiddly stuff is not included on the spreadsheet (ie, mineral rights with total royalties hovering at around $1,000 a year).

It shows me my current asset allocation for my portfolio, and I have fields for my condo value and total net worth. I'm pretty casual about the value of my condo; I just guesstimate.

I do a "save as" with the date I updated the spreadsheet, so I usually have 12 of these spreadsheets for any given year. Not very sophisticated, but it does the job.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I have a spreadsheet in LibreOffice (on Linux mint). I update my net worth once per year, as of the last day of the year. I add a new tab to the document at the end of each year.

Intermediate during the year, I update values in Vanguard's 'Outside investments you update yourself' to include values from my employer's 401(K) employee retirement savings plan (100% of which is invested in index-tracking Collective Investment Trusts that don't have ticker symbols).

I like Vanguard's tools for this and am okay with having approximate net worth values on a day-to-day basis. Most of my investments are at Vanguard.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Log into Fidelity for 401ks. lol into vanguard for Roths, brokersge and 529s. Add them up and it’s a good approx of liquid net worth.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“