New driver’s license number, on-line bank applications, and third-party verifiers

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
chemocean

New driver’s license number, on-line bank applications, and third-party verifiers

Post by chemocean »

I will be need to renew my driver’s license soon and I know that I will be assigned a new driver’s license number. From others in the same situation, their online bank opening application was denied because they could not be verified. They were instructed that they had to physically go into the bank and show their new license with the new number to open the account. I assume that the denial was from the third-party verifiers and not the credit reporting agencies that had not updated the driver’s license number. Will the third-party verifiers eventually update their database to reflect my new license number or will I have to go to a physical bank to present my new driver’s license before the third-party verifier’s databases are updated (i.e., do the third-party verifiers have access the DMV database)? Does it do any good to send a letter to the three credit reporting agencies with a copy of my new license?
WallyBird

Re: New driver’s license number, on-line bank applications, and third-party verifiers

Post by WallyBird »

FWIW I moved to a new state and got a new license and my credit score didn't even blink. And a local bank cheerfully opened an account for me, though I did stop by in person.

Any reason you can't open the online account now?
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green
Jack FFR1846

Re: New driver’s license number, on-line bank applications, and third-party verifiers

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Third party verifier? Hahahaha. LexisNexis. Buncha clowns. Wouldn't verify me because I would not acknowledge my mortgaged house address in 1960. I was 3 years old.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

WallyBird wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:26 pm FWIW I moved to a new state and got a new license and my credit score didn't even blink. And a local bank cheerfully opened an account for me, though I did stop by in person.

Any reason you can't open the online account now?
When you apply online, your identity is verified not my the credit reporting agencies, but by third party verifiers based on data you provide during the online application and historical data in their database. This happens even before your credit score is checked. If I enter my new driver's license, I will fail the verification process because the third-party verifiers think I am giving them wrong information and be told to apply in person.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:53 pm Third party verifier? Hahahaha. LexisNexis. Buncha clowns. Wouldn't verify me because I would not acknowledge my mortgaged house address in 1960. I was 3 years old.
Those questions are terrible.

I opened a HELOC with just my driver's license.

I misplaced the paperwork and requested a copy of the docs. They sent me through the verification process, which I failed.

I think the one that pushed me over the edge was asking me what car I was "associated with".

My mother's fiance owned a three family that he lived in and rented out the other two floors, including one floor to my mother and sibling. When my mother moved into his apartment, I moved in with my sibling.

The list of cars included the make and model that my mother had registered at that address. Let's say it was a 1988 Oldsmobile 88. The list had a 1989 Oldsmobile 88. I couldn't remember what her model year was. The list had no other cars that I owned. There was no definition as to what "associated" meant.

When I then called in, I was told they couldn't help me for 72 hours since I had failed my identification.

It was easier to open the HELOC than it was to get a copy of the mortgage docs.

I have no idea how I will be able to answer these questions 40 years from now. Will I remember, in 2063, whether I owned a 2018 or 2019 Mazda?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:53 pm Third party verifier? Hahahaha. LexisNexis. Buncha clowns. Wouldn't verify me because I would not acknowledge my mortgaged house address in 1960. I was 3 years old.
I can never get approved for a US bank account, best I can tell due to LexisNexis. You have to call them to unfreeze, and still doesn’t seem to work. I finally quite trying.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I know many people who moved to new states and had new DL numbers and never heard any of them mention any problem getting new accounts or any problem at all with financial institutions because of this.

If financial institutions made this a roadblock they would hurt their own business because people relocate all the time and the institution would be taking on all sorts of extra work.

Maybe getting a new social security number would cause issues, but I don't know anyone who did this.
zero_coupon

Post by zero_coupon »

chemocean wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:56 pm When you apply online, your identity is verified not my the credit reporting agencies, but by third party verifiers based on data you provide during the online application and historical data in their database. This happens even before your credit score is checked. If I enter my new driver's license, I will fail the verification process because the third-party verifiers think I am giving them wrong information and be told to apply in person.
Do the major brokerage houses (e.g. Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab) pose verification questions such as this (concerning historical personal data, driver's license number, etc.) when processing online account applications? Or is this done only by banks, but not brokers?
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I've rarely been denied an account (bank, credit, etc.) but a few years ago I was and then realized the likely issue was that my address on my drivers license did not match my current address where I was living. I had moved several times within a short period of time. In my case it wasn't a big deal so I I just waited until I settled my living situation before getting my drivers license address updated.

Some of these verifiers are questionable. Even the free online credit reports have issues. I mentioned here a year ago where I was trying to get my 3 free credit reports and one of them sent me my wife's credit report instead of mine. When we contact them they claimed there was no proof of anything wrong and that I might have entered the wrong information which I did not do. After that experience I wonder how many issues there are with people having similar names, etc.

When tech and automation works it is great but when it fails you often are in a steep uphill battle to fix it.

One other time about 15 years ago I applied for a bank account that was located in our building and was rejected. First time ever. I ended up in a catch-22 situation. The bank claimed someone else was using my SS# and told me to contact the police. The police told me w/o evidence they can't do anything and told me to get that from the bank. The bank said they would only give it to the police. I finally gave up and never saw any issues on any credit report and have never been denied a mortgage, car loan or any credit cards so I wonder if the bank typed in the wrong SS#.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

rgs92 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:09 am I know many people who moved to new states and had new DL numbers and never heard any of them mention any problem getting new accounts or any problem at all with financial institutions because of this.

If financial institutions made this a roadblock they would hurt their own business because people relocate all the time and the institution would be taking on all sorts of extra work.

Maybe getting a new social security number would cause issues, but I don't know anyone who did this.
I have personally moved states twice (3 different state drivers licenses) and had no issues opening multiple bank account all along the way in each state.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you are just renewing in the same state you currently have a license for, you may not be issued a new ID number. Ohio does not, for example.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

So I have to ask. Why do they assign a different drivers license number from what you have now? In my state, the number used to be social security number. Maybe a decade ago, they changed to some different number. I've renewed many, many times and besides that one change, it's never been changed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

chemocean wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:58 pm I will be need to renew my driver’s license soon and I know that I will be assigned a new driver’s license number. From others in the same situation, their online bank opening application was denied because they could not be verified. They were instructed that they had to physically go into the bank and show their new license with the new number to open the account. I assume that the denial was from the third-party verifiers and not the credit reporting agencies that had not updated the driver’s license number. Will the third-party verifiers eventually update their database to reflect my new license number or will I have to go to a physical bank to present my new driver’s license before the third-party verifier’s databases are updated (i.e., do the third-party verifiers have access the DMV database)? Does it do any good to send a letter to the three credit reporting agencies with a copy of my new license?
Renewal in the same state? Unless the state is revamping everything, I'd expect the same ID number. I've had the same number for 50(?) years. I just renewed to change to a Real ID compliant license. Same state. Same ID number.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

What state are you in where renewing gives you a different number? I’ve had the same number since 1987. Even when I moved out of state for four years than moved back, they gave me the same number.
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:02 am What state are you in where renewing gives you a different number? I’ve had the same number since 1987. Even when I moved out of state for four years than moved back, they gave me the same number.
Some states, like Illinois where we moved from last year, you driver's licenses is an encoding of your name (last, first, MI), DOB, and sex. It does not change although I have no idea how they handle collisions (which are theoretically possible - e.g. identical twins Lance M Smith and Louis M Smith will encode to the same DL number).

Even in my new state of Nevada, where we've already had our DLs reissued twice as we moved from one temporary residence (major problems with the property) to another (much better) to our permanent home, nothing changed on our DLs except our address.
Workinprogress

Post by Workinprogress »

heartwood wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:57 am
chemocean wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:58 pm I will be need to renew my driver’s license soon and I know that I will be assigned a new driver’s license number. From others in the same situation, their online bank opening application was denied because they could not be verified. They were instructed that they had to physically go into the bank and show their new license with the new number to open the account. I assume that the denial was from the third-party verifiers and not the credit reporting agencies that had not updated the driver’s license number. Will the third-party verifiers eventually update their database to reflect my new license number or will I have to go to a physical bank to present my new driver’s license before the third-party verifier’s databases are updated (i.e., do the third-party verifiers have access the DMV database)? Does it do any good to send a letter to the three credit reporting agencies with a copy of my new license?
Renewal in the same state? Unless the state is revamping everything, I'd expect the same ID number. I've had the same number for 50(?) years. I just renewed to change to a Real ID compliant license. Same state. Same ID number.
He may live in a state like Washington.
A few years ago they started changing everyone's license number to meet some sort of federal mandate???
It has been three years for me and I almost have it memorized again. It is a bunch of random numbers and letters that are challenging me.
The old one with my name and a few numbers was good for over 40 years.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Due to annoying hospital administrators I changed jobs and states 3 times in past 3 years. No issues opening multiple new bank and online accounts. Nothing to worry about.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:30 am So I have to ask. Why do they assign a different drivers license number from what you have now? In my state, the number used to be social security number. Maybe a decade ago, they changed to some different number. I've renewed many, many times and besides that one change, it's never been changed.
It would sure sound like a bad practice to include a social security number right on your drivers license that you need to show in all sorts of places, like buying some wine at the supermarket. Is that what they did in MA?
Cicero123

Post by Cicero123 »

At the risk of hijacking this thread, does anyone know what info is available to supermarket cashiers when they scan the bar code on the back of your license? When I buy alcohol at Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, they never look at the front for my birthdate, but they always scan the back before proceeding. Are they just getting a “yes, over 21” message, or do they see more info? Not that I’m paranoid, but…
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

rgs92 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:07 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:30 am So I have to ask. Why do they assign a different drivers license number from what you have now? In my state, the number used to be social security number. Maybe a decade ago, they changed to some different number. I've renewed many, many times and besides that one change, it's never been changed.
It would sure sound like a bad practice to include a social security number right on your drivers license that you need to show in all sorts of places, like buying some wine at the supermarket. Is that what they did in MA?
It wasn't an uncommon practice. When I was in college '96-'01, the college ID was your SSN. Grades were commonly posted by SSN.

NH's driver's license numbers are a convolution of your name and DOB, with a sequence number added at the end.

Well, they were until 2017, it seems.

I guess mine changed when I renewed it last year. I didn't notice until right now. It has had zero impact on anything. I've opened a couple of credit cards since then.

Had I been asked my driver's license number, I would have typed the one that I had for nearly 30 years and cursed the programmer who screwed up the validation logic...
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Cicero123 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:57 pm At the risk of hijacking this thread, does anyone know what info is available to supermarket cashiers when they scan the bar code on the back of your license? When I buy alcohol at Grocery Outlet Bargain Market, they never look at the front for my birthdate, but they always scan the back before proceeding. Are they just getting a “yes, over 21” message, or do they see more info? Not that I’m paranoid, but…
They taking a picture of it with your phone. It may be able to read the barcode.

NH's has name, address, DOB, date issued, date expired, plus other data I can't determine.
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

I am upgrading to an enhanced license that allows me to use my driver's license to board a plane for a domestic flight and to enter Canada by sea or land.
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Blue456 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:52 am Due to annoying hospital administrators I changed jobs and states 3 times in past 3 years. No issues opening multiple new bank and online accounts. Nothing to worry about.
Others with new licenses and license numbers have been denied verification online and were told they had to come to a branch to open an account.
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

There are some quasi-CRAs that banks use that provide your DL/ID number, as has been reported by other banks. The most used of these companies is EWS.

To answer your question about access to DMV records, any decent sized bank has people at the bank that have direct access. The bank's online account opening system generally utilizes one or more service providers that have some access to most DMV records.
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
zero_coupon

Post by zero_coupon »

chemocean wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:43 pm Others with new licenses and license numbers have been denied verification online and were told they had to come to a branch to open an account.
Do some brokers use these third-party verifiers too, or is this a bank thing?
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

hachiko wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:33 pm There are some quasi-CRAs that banks use that provide your DL/ID number, as has been reported by other banks. The most used of these companies is EWS.

To answer your question about access to DMV records, any decent sized bank has people at the bank that have direct access. The bank's online account opening system generally utilizes one or more service providers that have some access to most DMV records.
Thank you hachiko for your insight. I might need to wait for the quasi-CRA to update their database from DMV records or open ONE account in person to get the new license number in the quisa-CRA (third party verifiers) database.