turbotax filing help

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
2ball

turbotax filing help

Post by 2ball »

This is the first year I have ever mailed in my taxes.

do I cut out a block of my W2's and 1099'R's and include them in my state tax return?

below is the directions from Turbo Tax. I'm wondering, because if I would have e filed, they would not have gotten them.

Be sure to attach wage and tax statements Forms W-2(s)/1099(s) that
have Maryland withholding and any K-1(s) that have Maryland
withholding or Maryland tax credits

and

I am mailing in my state return, because TurboTax wanted to charge me $25 to e file my state taxes. E-filing state taxes is not included in the bundle from amazon?
K.I.S.S.- Keep It Stupid Simple
aristotelian

Re: turbotax filing help

Post by aristotelian »

I mailed my state taxes to save the $25. I agree it is tacky to charge that when they advertise state as being included so I did paper out of principle.

That said, why don't you e-file for Federal? Yes, if you file paper you should include one of your W2s labeled for federal filing.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I would follow the instructions on the summary and instruction page. Perhaps someone from MD can confirm your state-specific instructions. In California, the instructions were to NOT attach the W-2 for state mail-in. State e-file fees are not included in the standard price at most retailers.

There’s another thread about whether it’s worth the effort to save the e-file fee by mailing the return. Opinions varied, but I decided it wasn’t after doing so for my child’s basic return.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I would follow the instructions that the Comptroller provides

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/individua ... _Forms.php

I've filed hundreds of returns by e-file in recent years but the only paper ones I've filed have been 502-X which is a special case (Amended return).
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
enad

Post by enad »

We mail our returns every year. When we had W-2's we attached the one for Federal and for state to the appropriate returns with a small piece of scotch tape as they don't like staples or paper clips and the tape comes off easy enough. If you use TurboTax you can cut out your return address and the mailing address and affix them to the envelope. We take them to the counter and watch them hand cancel the envelopes and then ask to take a picture of the envelope with the hand cancellation (our proof of mailing). Never filed an electronic return and never will. This year it took 18 days to get the state refund and 21 days to get the federal refund.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
Topic Author
2ball

Post by 2ball »

aristotelian wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:31 pm I mailed my state taxes to save the $25. I agree it is tacky to charge that when they advertise state as being included so I did paper out of principle.

That said, why don't you e-file for Federal? Yes, if you file paper you should include one of your W2s labeled for federal filing.
I did e-file Federal.
Topic Author
2ball

Post by 2ball »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:34 pm I would follow the instructions on the summary and instruction page. Perhaps someone from MD can confirm your state-specific instructions. In California, the instructions were to NOT attach the W-2 for state mail-in. State e-file fees are not included in the standard price at most retailers.

There’s another thread about whether it’s worth the effort to save the e-file fee by mailing the return. Opinions varied, but I decided it wasn’t after doing so for my child’s basic return.
Ill end up doing 3 peoples taxes. So it will be $75 just to file state returns. On the positive side though, I only bought 1 turbotax and I was able to do all 3 tax returns federal and state for the initial price.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

2ball wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:17 pm ...
I am mailing in my state return, because TurboTax wanted to charge me $25 to e file my state taxes. E-filing state taxes is not included in the bundle from amazon?
If you have not mailed it yet, you can consider using Maryland's free online iFile system. You already have the forms filled, it should be effortless to cut/paste the numbers into the online system. You will need to establish an online account.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I think the charge is state specific. I live in NJ and work in NY. NY requires e-file and TTax does not charge the $25 fee for NY. I always mail the NJ taxes and I do remember that last years I attached the w-2 and a few other docs with my return. Since I always owe money to NJ I haven't sent those out yet.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

2ball wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:57 am
aristotelian wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:31 pm I mailed my state taxes to save the $25. I agree it is tacky to charge that when they advertise state as being included so I did paper out of principle.

I did e-file Federal.
Ah, got it. Yes, TT should tell you everything you need to send on the printout that comes with the state return. I will say, I am quite sure that I have forgotten to attach W2's with paper filings and have never been given any consequence.

By the way, another option sometimes is to file your state taxes online, basically transposing numbers from your TT printout to the state system. That saves you the cost of a stamp and let's you pay by credit card. Looks like you can do Maryland here: https://interactive.marylandtaxes.gov/I ... efault.asp