Problem getting passport

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

Problem getting passport

Post by tc101 »

I applied for passport renewal in Feburary by certified mail:
The certified mail web site says they got the application on Feb 10
The check for payment cleared the bank on Feb 15.

When I go to the passport web site to check my status there is a message saying:

Note for customers who applied in person or by mail from February 6-13:
We are resolving a technical issue that may prevent you from getting your passport status online. If you see a status of "Not Available" and applied in early February, please know that we are working on your application.

And when I try to check the status it says "Not Available",

There is an email address on the website that says you can contact them for extra help, but when I email them I get a message saying: "Thank you for contacting the National Passport Information Center. All the information you need about current passport operations and services is conveniently located on our website at travel.state.gov." and then in red "This is the only reply you will receive to your email."

There is a phone number you can call for help, but it gets redirected to some other number that is always busy.

I'm not traveling any time soon, but may need my passport sometime in a few months. What should I do?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
quantAndHold

Re: Problem getting passport

Post by quantAndHold »

Wait. It says they’re working on it. It’s been taking what, 3 months for non-expedited passports to come? You still have at least a month and a half.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

I applied for a renewal online on 1/9 and as of now it still just shows "received". I also see they have shut down new online renewals again. They were quoting up to 11 weeks and I hit that on Monday. Gotta love government efficiency.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Passport processing times are at this site:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... times.html

You are within the timelines they are posting, no reason to pursue further.

Did you pay $60 for the expedited processing?
rob

Post by rob »

I expect this is regional and involves some luck... I applied in late Jan and took about 6 weeks non-expedited (still waiting on orig doc stuff to be returned)... Sorry you seem to be stuck...
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

FWIW I did expedited processing back in august. Took less than 2 weeks
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I paid a total of $130 and that check cleared the bank 2/15/23. I don't know if that $130 included expedited processing or not. I didn't see anything about that on the form as far as I can remember. I applied by mail.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

What is the expiration date on your old passport?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

tc101 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:36 pm
I paid a total of $130 and that check cleared the bank 2/15/23. I don't know if that $130 included expedited processing or not. I didn't see anything about that on the form as far as I can remember. I applied by mail.
$130 is the nonexpedited price.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:59 pm FWIW I did expedited processing back in august. Took less than 2 weeks
The expedited processing is well worth the money. When you consider how long a PP lasts, it is really peanuts. A few years ago I got one renewed in 2 days when I discovered that I could not get a certain visa without a PP that had an expiration date inside one year.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
treypar

Post by treypar »

I applied for my passport renewal and they confirmed receipt on 01/31. I received the new passport today.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:10 am Wait. It says they’re working on it. It’s been taking what, 3 months for non-expedited passports to come? You still have at least a month and a half.
+1
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I don't remember exactly. A few months from now. Why do you ask?
The Stone Wall

Post by The Stone Wall »

I completed the online renewal on 1/10. My renewal status still shows "received".
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

The CNN article states that passport requests have
increase 30 to 40% over last year, and

the current wait time for a regular passport is “about ten to thirteen weeks, and for an expedited passport about seven to nine weeks.”

Code: Select all

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/23/politics/blinken-state-department-passport-delays/index.html
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

tc101 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:55 am
I don't remember exactly. A few months from now. Why do you ask?
The passport service orders the renewal applications in several ways one of which is how far away the current passport expiration date is. The website may show the renewal application was "received", but it may not show "in process" until much closer to the old passport expiration date.

And of course all of this is relative to how busy they are. Oh, BTW, an outside contractor takes care of the initial reception and staging of passport applications (filtering by obvious errors requiring return for correction, correct payment amounts, urgency, payment for expedited processing, etc).

My last passport renewal experience: expired April 15. Mailed in renewal January 15. Website silent until late March then "in process" for a week and I got the new passport early April. Old, cancelled passport returned to me around April 15.

Patience...
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
student

Post by student »

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Thanks for that NBC youtube report. Now I at least know it is not some particular problem with my application being lost or messed up in some way. Maybe it will be 3 months or more. I wasn't planning on traveling before then anyway.
biscuits

Post by biscuits »

For what it's worth, I applied for a renewal by mail in late January, paid the extra $60 for expedited service, and received my new passport and passport card in about two-and-a-half weeks. I was amazed! I went to an experienced passport photographer for my photo, and he advised me to fill out the form online, print it out, and mail it in, and that's what I did. My old passport wasn't expiring for 7 months, but I wanted to get ahead of it.
ilisira

Post by ilisira »

I applied in late January with the new online renew system, and when I realized that my old passport would have been invalidated once my application is processed, I paid for expedited processing*. In 8 weeks I had my passport book, and a week later passport card in the mail.

* as others had noted, the new system does not accept new applications anymore. What was surprising to me is: old passport is invalidated as soon as US government processes the application, not when the new passport is printed.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I read this thread and didn't see any problem described. It seems all is in order to me with nothing unusual to worry about.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

biscuits wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:28 pm For what it's worth, I applied for a renewal by mail in late January, paid the extra $60 for expedited service, and received my new passport and passport card in about two-and-a-half weeks. I was amazed! I went to an experienced passport photographer for my photo, and he advised me to fill out the form online, print it out, and mail it in, and that's what I did. My old passport wasn't expiring for 7 months, but I wanted to get ahead of it.
A friend had 5 months on his U.S. passport, landed in Istanbul, and was not allowed to enter. Ouch!

From U.S. State Department: In the Asia Pacific and Middle East regions, many countries require that a U.S. passport have six months of validity remaining for issuance of a visa or for permission to enter. Some airlines will not allow passengers with less than six months of passport validity to board flights to these destinations.

See LINK for more details
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

OP,

My passport documents were received on 2/7/23, per the State Department’s website. Just checked the website again and passport shipped yesterday 3/24.

Fingers crossed yours ships in the next business day or two.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

If I'm reading the State website right, the mytravel.state.gov site only applies to people who were in the online pilot.

For those who are using the mail option (because the online renewal process is not operating right now) it doesn't read like can get status from that site.
biscuits

Post by biscuits »

calmaniac wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:57 pm
biscuits wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:28 pm For what it's worth, I applied for a renewal by mail in late January, paid the extra $60 for expedited service, and received my new passport and passport card in about two-and-a-half weeks. I was amazed! I went to an experienced passport photographer for my photo, and he advised me to fill out the form online, print it out, and mail it in, and that's what I did. My old passport wasn't expiring for 7 months, but I wanted to get ahead of it.
A friend had 5 months on his U.S. passport, landed in Istanbul, and was not allowed to enter. Ouch!

From U.S. State Department: In the Asia Pacific and Middle East regions, many countries require that a U.S. passport have six months of validity remaining for issuance of a visa or for permission to enter. Some airlines will not allow passengers with less than six months of passport validity to board flights to these destinations.

Sad story about Istanbul!!

I was planning to leave the country in June and be gone through the date of my passport extension, so needed to get it done. I was also worried about a possible guv shutdown due to budget negotiations stalling. Not sure how valid those fears were, but didn't want to risk it.
liquidassets

Post by liquidassets »

calmaniac wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:57 pm

That is amazing a USA airline allowed a USA citizen to board their airplane with a final destination of Turkiye without 6+ months before passport expiration. United wouldn’t even let me get a boarding pass until I dug out a visa printed out on paper, although the point of the eVisa os that you don’t need to print it….Turkish immigration simply sees it is attached to your passport number when you arrive.

The general rule of thumb is most jurisdictions want to see an additional 3 months of passport validity past the longest time you would be eligible to stay with your visa or visa waiver. That is usually 3 months + 3 months = 6 months total. If immigration doesn’t let someone in, the airline is obligated for immediate transportation home, which is why airlines can be very particular with checking formalities documents.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

tc101 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:00 am I'm not traveling any time soon, but may need my passport sometime in a few months. What should I do?
I just went through this nightmare.

Don't pay attention to the website. It's meaningless. I kept checking the website, and waiting. Out of pure frustration... I eventually called them.

I was told... despite what the website said (and currently said as of that moment when i called)... I was told it was TOO LATE to call them and complain... my ability to call and complain had "expired".

So I had to start the process over. And pay the fees again. GAHHHH!!! I even called my Congressman to complain, and his office couldn't do anything for me.

The State Department knows their website is misleading... and they don't care.

CALL THEM TOMORROW... if it's not already too late to file a complaint!!!!!

--- Brian
liquidassets

Post by liquidassets »

brian91480 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:09 pm
tc101 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:00 am I'm not traveling any time soon, but may need my passport sometime in a few months. What should I do?

Don't pay attention to the website. It's meaningless. I kept checking the website, and waiting. Out of pure frustration... I eventually called them.

I was told... despite what the website said (and currently said as of that moment when i called)... I was told it was TOO LATE to call them and complain... my ability to call and complain had "expired".

So I had to start the process over. And pay the fees again. GAHHHH!!! I even called my Congressman to complain, and his office couldn't do anything for me.

--- Brian
I’m not tracking your comment. Why would you start a renewal over again resetting your place in queue, and why did you need to pay same fee again? And what complaint was too late?
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

liquidassets wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 pm

--- Brian
I’m not tracking your comment. Why would you start a renewal over again resetting your place in queue, and why did you need to pay same fee again? And what complaint was too late?
The State Department website tells you when the passport is shipped. The site also said... specifically... NOT to call them... unless you haven't received the passport for X weeks after it has shipped.

I checked the site at least one time per week... the site never indicated my passport had been shipped yet. It was "in process"... 1 step before being shipped.

By the time I called, I was told that the time period to complain had expired. Nothing they could do. No appeal process.

I laid out the situation. The State Department staff was sympathetic and admitted that their website had a lot of problems, but there was nothing they could do.

I couldn't believe that explanation. So I called again and talked to a different person. I got the same story.

The whole thing is horrendous.

--- Brian
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

--- Brian
How long did you wait before making a phone call?
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

Metsfan91 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:24 pm

--- Brian

How long did you wait before making a phone call?

Several months... because the website specifically said not to call. That's my point. Ignore the website - call them anyway.

People are warned!

--- Brian
liquidassets

Post by liquidassets »

brian91480 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:15 pm
liquidassets wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 pm

--- Brian
The State Department website tells you when the passport is shipped. The site also said... specifically... NOT to call them... unless you haven't received the passport for X weeks after it has shipped.

I checked the site at least one time per week... the site never indicated my passport had been shipped yet. It was "in process"... 1 step before being shipped.

By the time I called, I was told that the time period to complain had expired. Nothing they could do. No appeal process.

I laid out the situation. The State Department staff was sympathetic and admitted that their website had a lot of problems, but there was nothing they could do.

I couldn't believe that explanation. So I called again and talked to a different person. I got the same story.

--- Brian
What were you trying to do and what is the timeline?

A family member received a new passport about two weeks before the State status changed to shipped. Total time between sending last fall and receiving was six weeks, regular priority.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

liquidassets wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:12 am

--- Brian

A family member received a new passport about two weeks before the State status changed to shipped. Total time between sending last fall and receiving was six weeks, regular priority.
I was trying to get a passport. New; not renewed. I paid the fee and submitted my paperwork needed in early June of last year.

To this day... 9 months later... the State Department website still says my passport has not yet been mailed. What a clown show.

After I called them; the State Department reps said that they could have helped me -- if only I had called sooner!!!! But by the time I called them, I was past the date of when I could request assistance. So I have to start the process over and pay the fee again.

I would have called them sooner, but their own website instructed me not to call them -- unless I didn't get my passport after the website showed that it was delivered.

This isn't that complicated of an idea, per my original post:

People should completely ignore the State Department website. Don't even bother to check what your "status" is. Just call the State Department after 6 weeks -- regardless of what their status says on the website. I wish someone had told me that when I applied for my passport.

--- Brian
liquidassets

Post by liquidassets »

brian91480 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:46 am

--- Brian

I was trying to get a passport. New; not renewed. I paid the fee and submitted my paperwork needed in early June of last year.

To this day... 9 months later... the State Department website still says my passport has not yet been mailed. What a clown show.

After I called them; the State Department reps said that they could have helped me -- if only I had called sooner!!!! But by the time I called them, I was past the date of when I could request assistance. So I have to start the process over and pay the fee again.

I would have called them sooner, but their own website instructed me not to call them -- unless I didn't get my passport after the website showed that it was delivered.

People should completely ignore the State Department website. Don't even bother to check what your "status" is. Just call the State Department after 6 weeks -- regardless of what their status says on the website. I wish someone had told me that when I applied for my passport.

--- Brian
I’m sorry that you are having issues. I saw that you applied in June but wasn’t able to see the timeline of when you contacted State Department to follow up. At a minimum you should be able to get a refund of the first fee, but it will take some escalation.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

liquidassets wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:28 am
brian91480 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:46 am

--- Brian

--- Brian
I’m sorry that you are having issues. I saw that you applied in June but wasn’t able to see the timeline of when you contacted State Department to follow up. At a minimum you should be able to get a refund of the first fee, but it will take some escalation.
Hi,

Just curious... how did you find out when I applied?

As for escalation... if I lived in Washington DC, I would visit the State Department office. Sometimes, seeing someone gets better results than email and phone calls.

I have called multiple times --- and I had my Congressman's office talk to them on my behalf.

Their answer is NO - and there is zero appeal process, despite their sympathies.

As the saying goes... I am S.O.L.

--- Brian
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

My passport came in the mail today. Hurrah !!! It was only 7 weeks after they received it. The thing that threw me is that the check your status website is not working. It still says my application status is not available, but I have the passport.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

tc101 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:11 pm My passport came in the mail today. Hurrah !!! It was only 7 weeks after they received it. The thing that threw me is that the check your status website is not working. It still says my application status is not available, but I have the passport.
That's great especially since you didn't pay the $60 extra for expedited processing.
liquidassets

Post by liquidassets »

brian91480 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:02 pm
liquidassets wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:28 am I’m sorry that you are having issues. I saw that you applied in June but wasn’t able to see the timeline of when you contacted State Department to follow up. At a minimum you should be able to get a refund of the first fee, but it will take some escalation.
Hi,

Just curious... how did you find out when I applied?
Because you wrote earlier in this thread:
brian91480 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:02 pm I paid the fee and submitted my paperwork needed in early June of last year.
I didn’t see when you called to follow up, however.
brian91480 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:02 pm
As for escalation... if I lived in Washington DC, I would visit the State Department office. Sometimes, seeing someone gets better results than email and phone calls.

I have called multiple times --- and I had my Congressman's office talk to them on my behalf.

Their answer is NO - and there is zero appeal process, despite their sympathies.

As the saying goes... I am S.O.L.
I would call your Senator and request staff escalate to consular on the hill. Also, you can’t get in the State Department buildings without an appointment or employee ID. Your Representative or Senator can get you an appointment in a city near you.