Favorite forum

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Favorite forum

Post by tennisplyr »

Besides Bogleheads, what is your favorite online forum...one where you interact with others, ask/answer questions, share information...not necessarily financial.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
jebmke

Re: Favorite forum

Post by jebmke »

Birdforum. A lot of British posters so you have to get used to the lingo.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Reddit, various subs about food, money and local city ones.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Forum for the college football team I played for and Ford Maverick forum are the only others I am active on, and not nearly as much as I am here. I used to be fairly active on Reddit's e-bike forum, but it has turned into an absolute cesspool; mostly posters telling others they are evil and are directly destroying the Earth if they own a car.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

My favorite forum other than BH used to be one that you (tennisplyr) recommend often, which is citydata.com. Unfortunately it became too political for me, not only in the politics forum, but in every other sub-forum I used to comment in. I was banned for life with no warning and for no reason other than correcting misinformation that the mods agree with. Too bad, it used to be great until about 5 years ago, and is still accessible for reading unbiased comments about areas you are considering for relocation. In order to participate in the forum now you need a heavy duty troll filter, and an imaginary ignore button that you will likely wear out.

I understand the difficulty that moderators face, on the BH forum as well. I was really involved in two other forums that are also now extinct, mostly due to ego and/or greed. Those were Kayak Fishing Stuff, which was a great resource for information on kayak fishing, and Helium, which was a writer's forum where I was a steward for short stories and critiques. There were regular writing contests that were fun and competitive. I can attest to the fact that there is no group that takes criticism worse than writers, who think everything they write is inspired and worthy of a Pulitzer.

I would be interested in getting suggestions for a good freshwater kayak fishing forum. Most of the ones I see now are for a specific location or concentrated on ocean kayak fishing.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Reddit
Rational Reminder
Doctor of Credit
slickdeals
Youtube. Yep. It's a forum, also. Just think of the videos as the OP.
flyertalk
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

www.CruiseCritic.com has been incredibly helpful.

When I first joined almost 10 years ago, there was some snark/outright unpleasant posters problem.
Something changed at some point, and there was more moderation, at least about the ad hominem type nonsense.
It's quite good now, with a few of the expected "characters". They can be blocked if one can't bear to encounter them at all.

There are lots of topics/threads that are not cruise specific, but all/almost all are travel related: travel insurance, ports of call (city information), etc.

And there's www.FlyerTalk.com
I find this one more difficult to navigate; perhaps I just haven't used it enough.
It can be more snarky, especially to newbies, a problem that is exacerbated by the navigation, in my opinion.
Again, some travel-related topics that aren't air-travel specific: hotels, cruises, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

vested1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:08 am My favorite forum other than BH used to be one that you (tennisplyr) recommend often, which is citydata.com. Unfortunately it became too political for me, not only in the politics forum, but in every other sub-forum I used to comment in. I was banned for life with no warning and for no reason other than correcting misinformation that the mods agree with. Too bad, it used to be great until about 5 years ago, and is still accessible for reading unbiased comments about areas you are considering for relocation. In order to participate in the forum now you need a heavy duty troll filter, and an imaginary ignore button that you will likely wear out.
In my experience, this is the large majority of online forums now. I would have thought that a forum dedicated to e-bikes would have been non-political, but boy was I wrong; you get immediately personally attacked and/or have moderators delete your posts if you post data or share anything that may hint you don't agree with the board political narrative (that has nothing whatsoever to do with riding e-bikes). I've had my issues in the past, but overall I think BH moderators probably do the best job of any forum I've ever been on; hence, why I am here the most (by far).
Juice3

Post by Juice3 »

all right reserved
Last edited by Juice3 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

tennisplyr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:14 am Besides Bogleheads, what is your favorite online forum...one where you interact with others, ask/answer questions, share information...not necessarily financial.
I check in here and at early-retirement.org once a day. I do that early in the day, and try to limit my reading time to a few coffees.

When I'm bored, I sift through Reddit subs that may apply to a particular interest.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I spend most of my time of Bogleheads - by far the best signal to noise ratio of any forum I visit. My other top forum would be /r/wine on reddit.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I enjoy Audio Video Science forum (www.AVSforum.com). People there tend to skew younger than me, and over-emphasize bass in their setups, but it’s a fun site.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Bogleheads is head and shoulders above any other forum of course. rational reminder has a good podcast today on goal setting. And Reddit is useful for specialty non financial topics.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

boating forums
car/automotive forums
travel forums
theme park forums
Facebook groups for volunteering, charities,
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

smitcat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:22 am boating forums
car/automotive forums
travel forums
theme park forums

Any particularly useful/interesting travel forums?
Thanks!

RM
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:24 am
car/automotive forums
travel forums
theme park forums

Thanks!

RM
Not great ones, but Cruisecritic and TripAdvisor come to mind...
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

yatesd wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:33 am
car/automotive forums
travel forums
theme park forums

Thanks!

RM
Not great ones, but Cruisecritic and TripAdvisor come to mind...
As far as travel goes, those are great. Cruise critic is about as though as you can get, extensive discussions of every imaginable detail. Including roll call threads for every individual sailing. You'll meet dozens of passengers before you even board your cruise.

Flyertalk is another great resource.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

car/automotive forums
travel forums
theme park forums

Thanks!

RM
Not all 'forums' but Cruise critic, the points guy, flyertalk, trip advisor, googleflights, triple "A", Chase, Amex, Delta, Costco, Bonvoy, and individual sites of interest.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Leasehackr for the best car deals
mkc

Post by mkc »

The forum for one of the brands of RVs we've owned.
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

car/automotive forums
travel forums
theme park forums

Thanks!

RM
You may want to give this a try.

https://www.ricksteves.com/
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

vested1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:08 am My favorite forum other than BH used to be one that you (tennisplyr) recommend often, which is citydata.com. Unfortunately it became too political for me, not only in the politics forum, but in every other sub-forum I used to comment in. I was banned for life with no warning and for no reason other than correcting misinformation that the mods agree with. Too bad, it used to be great until about 5 years ago, and is still accessible for reading unbiased comments about areas you are considering for relocation. In order to participate in the forum now you need a heavy duty troll filter, and an imaginary ignore button that you will likely wear out.

I understand the difficulty that moderators face, on the BH forum as well. I was really involved in two other forums that are also now extinct, mostly due to ego and/or greed. Those were Kayak Fishing Stuff, which was a great resource for information on kayak fishing, and Helium, which was a writer's forum where I was a steward for short stories and critiques. There were regular writing contests that were fun and competitive. I can attest to the fact that there is no group that takes criticism worse than writers, who think everything they write is inspired and worthy of a Pulitzer.

I would be interested in getting suggestions for a good freshwater kayak fishing forum. Most of the ones I see now are for a specific location or concentrated on ocean kayak fishing.
My guess is if you changed your user name you could rejoin citydata.com
mhc

Post by mhc »

bogleheads
early-retirement
reddit for the city I live in
reddit for a game I play
bbq-brethern (not so much any more)
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Bruse213

Post by Bruse213 »

Corvetteforum.com
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I still visit https://www.city-data.com/forum/index.php occasionally.

In the day, YAHOO STORE FORUMS was "the place" to hang out with other e-commerce startups. I miss that forum. But after a good decade the Yahoo platform for store construction faded away. (Before that it was Y Store forums, for folks who coded in RTML programming language)

In my ultra large condo community NEXTDOOR.COM has been interesting. But, it's declined for several reasons: too many realtors promoting properties, to many people selling stuff, too much complaining about condo fees, and too much sniping between people. But, it has its value.

If there is an airplane crash or aviation "mystery" I always go to PPRUNE.ORG (the pilot rumor network).
This forum is the best.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Rivals sports forum is my fav. Stop by here now & then.
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

serviceacademyforums.com
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Hebell wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:37 pm This forum is the best.

We haven't found a better one.
This has enough "other" topics in the "consumer" section that it is really all purpose, IF one had to choose.

And another thanks to the Mods/Owner/Powers-that-be!
You keep it civil, and thus useful.
Thank you.

RM
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

tennisplyr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:34 pm

City-data looks like a conspiracy haven, at least from some threads I just saw on the New York forum. The internet is a scary place of misinformation
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

For tennis and Pickleball discussion, I go here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

Bruse213 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:29 pm Corvetteforum.com
Actually used to spend a lot of time lurking there when I had a C7 GS. It was good for finding pics of nice vettes lol. Also had a C5 FRC before that
65% US Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV, 22% Int Stock
vested1

Post by vested1 »

muffins14 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:35 pm
tennisplyr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:34 pm

City-data looks like a conspiracy haven, at least from some threads I just saw on the New York forum. The internet is a scary place of misinformation
They compare IP addresses, so changing user names wouldn't work. I prefer honesty anyway. I wouldn't last long even if I rejoined anyway because it's hard to stay silent when so many blatant lies are being thrown around like fodder for the gullible. There is a group of long term users who immediately report anyone who doesn't agree with their world view, and the mods are eager to oblige.

I didn't bring this up out of a desire for revenge, but as a warning for the uninitiated. The best policy is always to be informed and to ignore disinformation if possible.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Forum ideas for others that might be interested:

A few of many "occasionally browsed and used)

*Photography-On-The-Net (huge global site)
Mu-43 (Olympus camera/photography)
Photography: (many more)
TypewriterTalk
TypePals
Typewriter repair and restoration (many)
FountainPenNetwork (huge global site including global "snail mailing")
Quora: GiftedSupportSpace, Intelligence and IQ Research, Philosophy, MBTI, Promethean Society, HowToSpelBetterMore. org. . .
Music and Musicianship (many, Strat forum, Les Paul forum, etc), Ukulele space, Hawaiian language and music.
How to fix things: too many to count!

Things that go fast forums, maintenance and repair, etc.
Corvettes, MustangGt's, Kawasaki Ninja/bikes in general.

Daily: (forum and reading)
*Bogleheads.org
Morningstar
MarketWatch

*As others have noted: the evolving dynamics of online forums, blogs, etc, has changed exponentially toward a "social media" (at time chatty and off topic, banter, conflict) than in the past. Thus, lack of substantive useful and actionable input sans drama. Thus, I visit them less and less over time.
Quite the opposite from the "Boglehead" forum although (thank goodness for great moderators) it is not unscathed.

Thank you to all the hard working moderators that do their work behind the scenes to keep this forum true to its intended purpose. :D :D :D

dis laimer: the above forum list is not comprehensive and edited for absurdity and nonsensicalness. I do not participate in "Facebook" and like social media, etc.
j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:27 am
In my experience, this is the large majority of online forums now. I would have thought that a forum dedicated to e-bikes would have been non-political, but boy was I wrong; you get immediately personally attacked and/or have moderators delete your posts if you post data or share anything that may hint you don't agree with the board political narrative (that has nothing whatsoever to do with riding e-bikes). I've had my issues in the past, but overall I think BH moderators probably do the best job of any forum I've ever been on; hence, why I am here the most (by far).
+1000
Well said.
Great points as always.

Thank you "boglehead moderators" and founders and seniors for keeping this forum substantive on on point.
j :D :D
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Jungle wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:53 am
Actually used to spend a lot of time lurking there when I had a C7 GS. It was good for finding pics of nice vettes lol. Also had a C5 FRC before that
On and off of that one for over 20 years now.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

smitcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:04 am
I would have to get another garage if I visited those forums more often. And a "bib" for all the drooling. . . :D

CorvetteForum. Very nice site!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/

FordMustangs
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/

Kawasaki Ninja forum.
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/

j :D
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:06 am
smitcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:04 am
I would have to get another garage if I visited those forums more often. And a "bib" for all the drooling. . . :D

CorvetteForum. Very nice site!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/

FordMustangs
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/

Kawasaki Ninja forum.
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/

j :D

Agreed, I actually like the 'other' corvette forum as well....
https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.com/
Juice3

Post by Juice3 »

all rights reserved
Last edited by Juice3 on Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Here is the only place I've ever actually made a post. I just joined r/bodyweightfitness and there was immediately a big meltdown, apparently over a mod trying to direct traffic to his own website. Also seems to be stated as fact lots of opinion. Guess that happens here too. Maybe harder for me to sort out there because of relative lack of knowledge and experience. Be careful out there.

I also visit https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/ and r/autohotkey occasionally but most of that stuff is way way over my head.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Just do a google search for whatever interests you, e.g. "Underwater basket-weaving forum".
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Juice3 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:26 am
vested1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:56 am There is a group of long term users [I think you mean on citidata?] who immediately report anyone who doesn't agree with their world view, and the mods are eager to oblige.
Why operate a message board with such a strong political inclination? Including an 'eager' enforcement arm. Geez.

I recently watched "Moneyshot: The Pornhub Story" on Netflix. Good program, worth a watch. There is a lot of coverage about how narrow or politicized world-views when enforced have additional and sometimes unanticipated consequences.
There is strong evidence that the world's largest social media platforms do this or at least did so in the past; it's quite literally everywhere. In my experience, it's even here, but Boglehead moderators do a heck of a lot better than any other place on the internet I have perused.
warner25

Post by warner25 »

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Hacker News yet (news.ycombinator.com), given the concentration of tech workers here whose kids are all majoring in computer science. Outside of doing my actual work, 90% of my screen time is probably spent reading comments here and there. It has taught me as much as this forum.

I'm also in the Army and I've spent a bit of time on the r/army subreddit, but found that I need to avoid even taking a peek at that place because it's way too addictive; like a perpetual intravenous dose of office gossip and war-stories and jokes that are highly relevant to me, combined with the upvote system and other things to increase engagement. Now I just wait for the odd thread related to military life to appear here on Bogleheads or Hacker News.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:11 am
Juice3 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:26 am
vested1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:56 am There is a group of long term users [I think you mean on citidata?] who immediately report anyone who doesn't agree with their world view, and the mods are eager to oblige.
Why operate a message board with such a strong political inclination? Including an 'eager' enforcement arm. Geez.

I recently watched "Moneyshot: The Pornhub Story" on Netflix. Good program, worth a watch. There is a lot of coverage about how narrow or politicized world-views when enforced have additional and sometimes unanticipated consequences.
There is strong evidence that the world's largest social media platforms do this or at least did so in the past; it's quite literally everywhere. In my experience, it's even here, but Boglehead moderators do a heck of a lot better than any other place on the internet I have perused.
[/qulittle

It's not just social media. It's everything. Divide and conquer, as they used to say. Today, you have to toss in a little (or a lot) of distraction.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

warner25 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:26 am I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Hacker News yet (news.ycombinator.com), given the concentration of tech workers here whose kids are all majoring in computer science. Outside of doing my actual work, 90% of my screen time is probably spent reading comments here and there. It has taught me as much as this forum.

I'm also in the Army and I've spent a bit of time on the r/army subreddit, but found that I need to avoid even taking a peek at that place because it's way too addictive; like a perpetual intravenous dose of office gossip and war-stories and jokes that are highly relevant to me, combined with the upvote system and other things to increase engagement. Now I just wait for the odd thread related to military life to appear here on Bogleheads or Hacker News.
I too spend a lot of time reading HN, but I wouldn't it put it in the same league as this forum. It is occasionally great when there are highly technical discussions on programming etc., but usually it's just a lot of prophecising the future and self congratulating that they're all solving hard problems.