A question about the factsheet of FTSE All-World index

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Intelligent_Bar2283

A question about the factsheet of FTSE All-World index

Post by Intelligent_Bar2283 »

Which document should I look into to find out whether the total return is before or after dividend tax withholding? I thought of looking into the factsheet, but the information given is not very clear. I want to compare the ETF that I have invested to the gross index benchmark return so that I can figure out the true cost of owning the ETF.
watchnerd

Re: A question about the factsheet of FTSE All-World index

Post by watchnerd »

Intelligent_Bar2283 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:43 am Which document should I look into to find out whether the total return is before or after dividend tax withholding? I thought of looking into the factsheet, but the information given is not very clear. I want to compare the ETF that I have invested to the gross index benchmark return so that I can figure out the true cost of owning the ETF.
Your ETF should tell you the tracking error vs the benchmark as one of its stats.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
daviddem

Re: A question about the factsheet of FTSE All-World index

Post by daviddem »

Intelligent_Bar2283 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:43 am Which document should I look into to find out whether the total return is before or after dividend tax withholding? I thought of looking into the factsheet, but the information given is not very clear. I want to compare the ETF that I have invested to the gross index benchmark return so that I can figure out the true cost of owning the ETF.
You can see here that all the FTSE benchmarks Vanguard funds use are "net-of-tax" benchmarks. Unless indicated, they calculate these assuming no tax treaty between the country of incorporation of the fund and the countries of the assets the fund holds - which makes it of course easier for the fund to beat its benchmark since most countries of incorporation have a tax treaty at least with the US.

Also read this document - section 10 and follow the links into it.

You can also check how well your fund is tracking on the trackingdifferences website