Have until Dec. to decide on a new 3-row car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: Have until Dec. to decide on a new 3-row car

Post by stoptothink »

Outer Marker wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:07 am
welloiledinvestor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:44 pm I wasn't going to but I test drove VW Atlas. There was lot of things I liked about the car but since I want to own the car for long term, I am not too sure how reliable and expensive VW parts will be down the line. I mean, compared to American or Japanese brands, I am pretty sure it will be more expensive.
I owned a VW Jetta, and failed to learn my lesson when our first kid arrived and bought a Passat wagon. Both were maintenance hogs. Fun to drive, though. The Mazdas are both fun to drive and very reliable.
Other than or windshield randomly being busted 3 times (we're getting the 3rd replacement tomorrow - a giant chunk of ice fell off our roof and destroyed it on Friday), we've had a totally maintenance-free experience with our '17 jetta. 6.5yrs and 72k miles and nothing but general maintenance, it's even still on the first set of brake pads. We bought it knowing it could be a maintenance nightmare, but the deal was so good (<$14k OTD brand new, thanks to Dieselgate) that we figured it would hardly be a loss if we just got rid of it when the warranty was up. Not sure we'd buy another VW unless we got a screaming deal again, but it's been great.
Scorpion Stare

Post by Scorpion Stare »

h82goslw wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:33 am I’m surprised so many people are recommending Kia/Hyundai SUVs. The sheer number of recalls over the last year alone would give me pause for concern. Last summer there was a recall of almost 300,000 of the current model due to them catching on fire.
Just a few months before that, Toyota recalled 460,000 vehicles because of a failure that would disable stability control.

And in 2020, Toyota recalled six million vehicles for a fuel pump problem that caused running vehicles to stall.

Every automaker has recalls on a regular basis.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

Post by welloiledinvestor »

Scorpion Stare wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:38 pm
h82goslw wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:33 am I’m surprised so many people are recommending Kia/Hyundai SUVs. The sheer number of recalls over the last year alone would give me pause for concern. Last summer there was a recall of almost 300,000 of the current model due to them catching on fire.
Just a few months before that, Toyota recalled 460,000 vehicles because of a failure that would disable stability control.

And in 2020, Toyota recalled six million vehicles for a fuel pump problem that caused running vehicles to stall.

You are right about that. The reliability reports from Consumer Reports and other sources go so far. It all comes to little luck and how you take care of your car as well, not just being diligent with maintenance stuff but how you use the car etc.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

welloiledinvestor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:27 pm
Outer Marker wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:07 am
welloiledinvestor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:44 pm I wasn't going to but I test drove VW Atlas. There was lot of things I liked about the car but since I want to own the car for long term, I am not too sure how reliable and expensive VW parts will be down the line. I mean, compared to American or Japanese brands, I am pretty sure it will be more expensive.
I owned a VW Jetta, and failed to learn my lesson when our first kid arrived and bought a Passat wagon. Both were maintenance hogs. Fun to drive, though. The Mazdas are both fun to drive and very reliable.
Several users have mentioned Mazda, especially the CX-90. I have got nothing to lose, maybe I test drive it and check out the cabin. Do you think Mazda would be as reliable as (or close to) Toyota and worth owning?
I owned a Miata for ten years - only maintenance it required was changing the oil and wiper blades. Equally reliable as Toyotas and much more “drivers” cars.
meebers

Post by meebers »

My history with cars since 1960. :o)
3 Oldsmobiles drove and beat the heck out of them, little to no problems
2 Pontiacs, 1 is a 1965 and still have it today. Rebuilt the engine 2x
2 Mazda's 1st made in Japan, beat the heck out of, long lasting, #2 not made in Japan, after 20k miles get rid of it, just a piece of junk.
2 Chevy trucks, 1st no problems, 2nd shook, rattled, wore out tires < 10K miles.
1 GMC truck 07, still have it today. No problems.
1 Toyota Highlander, ok, v6 gutless motor, no abnormal problems
1 2013 Kia Sorento, ordered with no 3rd row seat, no problems, still have it today
Undecided what my next vehicle will be if any. Waiting until prices become realistic. [One reason I am following this thread].
YMMV.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

mw1739 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:49 am Your list is good for the suburban lifestyle, but I don't think I would take any of those models off-roading. For that you need to look at a 4-Runner or Jeep.

Personally, I'm planning to buy the Grand Highlander (or its Lexus equivalent).
This. OP mentioned off roading. Most of OP's list will get torn up if that off roading is much more than a gravel or dirt road. Check out the 4 Runner, the Lexus GX, or a Jeep product. The 4 Runner and the GX will last forever.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

bwalling wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:07 am
mw1739 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:49 am Your list is good for the suburban lifestyle, but I don't think I would take any of those models off-roading. For that you need to look at a 4-Runner or Jeep.

Personally, I'm planning to buy the Grand Highlander (or its Lexus equivalent).
This. OP mentioned off roading. Most of OP's list will get torn up if that off roading is much more than a gravel or dirt road. Check out the 4 Runner, the Lexus GX, or a Jeep product. The 4 Runner and the GX will last forever.
Just want to clarify about the "offroading." It was my mistake to include that requirement. Going to state parks is the only off-roading that I can think of. :mrgreen:

meebers wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:46 pm My history with cars since 1960. :o)
3 Oldsmobiles drove and beat the heck out of them, little to no problems
2 Pontiacs, 1 is a 1965 and still have it today. Rebuilt the engine 2x
2 Mazda's 1st made in Japan, beat the heck out of, long lasting, #2 not made in Japan, after 20k miles get rid of it, just a piece of junk.
2 Chevy trucks, 1st no problems, 2nd shook, rattled, wore out tires < 10K miles.
1 GMC truck 07, still have it today. No problems.
1 Toyota Highlander, ok, v6 gutless motor, no abnormal problems
1 2013 Kia Sorento, ordered with no 3rd row seat, no problems, still have it today
Undecided what my next vehicle will be if any. Waiting until prices become realistic. [One reason I am following this thread].
YMMV.
Thanks @meebers for sharing your experiences. :)
bonfireofthevanities

Post by bonfireofthevanities »

We were looking at all the 3-row vehicles you referenced, but happened to end up at an Acura dealership and test drove the 2023 MDX. We took it home the same day and have been extremely happy with it.
MorgansRun

Post by MorgansRun »

Mazda fan here, so definitely would recommend the brand. Plus the CX-90 looks great inside and out. It can't hurt to let either dealership know you are cross shopping with the other. Yes, I realize there may not be any discounts, but you don't get for what you don't ask.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

There are two brands that I have an unfounded, stupid reasoned negative feeling about and I can't shake it...

Mazda because of the "zoom zoom" marketing from years ago.

Kia because of the "buy one get one free" marketing from years ago
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Scorpion Stare wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:38 pm

Toyota has a lot of the Costco and Apple mystique going on...Toyota probably manufacturers the most reliable vehicles (overall) of any manufacturer (anecdotally, my corolla was by a HUGE margin the most unreliable car I've ever owned), but they still can have their issues. Toyota has had some pretty scary recalls in the last decade, including on the corolla and tacoma which have this reputation for being bulletproof.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I just got back from renting a 2022 Toyota Highlander and I currently own a 2021 Kia Telluride. I have the highest end Telluride and the Highlander was more of a middle of the road model so I won't factor in things like HUD that the Highlander didn't have. The Highlander had the V6, which was smooth and powerful. I see now that they are moving towards a 4 cyl Turbo, which I generally hate, even if they are faster/more fuel efficient.

Powertrain-Seem similar with both having a V6. I think the Highlander seemed more peppy to me. The ride, noise and comfort are better in the Kia. I got about 22 MPG with a mix of city and 80mph highway driving. I get similar MPG with the Telluride but usually run E10 Ethanol (live in Midwest). The Highlander was a little sportier. Just thought of something.....the Highlander was FWD not AWD like my Kia. Probably a lot lighter.

Fit/Finish-This one surprised me. The Highlander with 7k miles had plastics that were creaking. I got into my Kia after driving the Toyota for a week and the Kia seemed a lot better put together. The door closing sound, the up/down on windows, the steering feel.

Safety-I'm not going to penalize the Highlander for not having a front camera, I'm sure the upper models do have one. Both units have adaptive cruise and I instantly chose the most aggressive setting. The highlander is more aggressive and I like it. With the Kia, I feel like even on the most aggressive setting I have to move over in the passing lane way too early. I don't like that the Toyota makes me choose that aggressive setting each time I start the car. Also, making me turn on my cruise is annoying. I've owned a lot of Toyotas and they have a tendency to never change, even when it's dumb. The rear window in the Toyota, because of design, is a little small for my liking.

Infotainment-Both have Android Auto/Apple Carplay, which is great. The design of the Highlander infotainment system looks dumb and has for awhile. Looks like it's an after thought that they just plopped on the dash. My 2021 Kia is better but the 2023 is a ton better with the with in all in one design, which the Hyundai Palisade has had since the start.

In the end, I really cant imagine how someone would pick the Highlander over the Telluride if they drove each one back to back.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

Quick update:

I decided to test drive some models again:
  • Highlander (Bronze trim)
  • Honda Pilot (Trailsport trim)
I kept an open mind and took some of your suggestions and test drove some minivans:
  • Chrysler Pacifica (gas version)
  • Kia Carnival
  • Honda Odyssey
  • Toyota Sienna
We haven't made any final decision yet. I think we are deciding between Sienna and Odyssey. We will still test drive Mazda CX-9 in April but I don't think it will make me change my mind about minivans. They are way more practical and spacious for families, period.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

Quick update:

I decided to test drive some models again:
  • Highlander (Bronze trim)
  • Honda Pilot (Trailsport trim)
I kept an open mind and took some of your suggestions and test drove some minivans:
  • Chrysler Pacifica (gas version)
  • Kia Carnival
  • Honda Odyssey
  • Toyota Sienna
We haven't made any final decision yet. I think we are deciding between Sienna and Odyssey. We will still test drive Mazda CX-9 in April but I don't think it will make me change my mind about minivans. They are way more practical and spacious for families, period.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Keep in mind that most smaller SUVs don't have a big enough second row to accommodate a rear-facing car seat without having to move the corresponding front seat forward.

When our kids were young we had a 1st generation (2004) Highlander and I couldn't comfortably sit in the passenger seat with the rear-facing seat behind me and I'm not a tall person. The rear-facing seat behind the driver would have been impossible.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

Luke Duke wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:02 am Keep in mind that most smaller SUVs don't have a big enough second row to accommodate a rear-facing car seat without having to move the corresponding front seat forward.

When our kids were young we had a 1st generation (2004) Highlander and I couldn't comfortably sit in the passenger seat with the rear-facing seat behind me and I'm not a tall person. The rear-facing seat behind the driver would have been impossible.
Yes, that's a great point. I am not going to get an SUV anymore but a minivan instead.
JC CPA

Post by JC CPA »

We have a 2015 Acura MDX and front seat leg room is fine with rear facing car seats in second row

Third row seats are ok for short trips but if you need for a road trip you need a pilot, minivan or a Tahoe type sized vehicle

It’s a great vehicle - would recommend the AWD version. Probably going to get a fully loaded new-er one in a few years
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

hudson wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:35 am
welloiledinvestor wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:20 pm
I have until December to decide on which 3-row car to get come December of 2023.

My question is, should I go with Toyota Highlander instead? Gas or Hybrid? I plan on driving this car until the tires fall off.
I'm on my 6th Toyota since 2000. I doubt that I'll ever own any other brand. Very few issues.
I'd get a 4Runner but the 3d row is tight. I think they have one? Gas mileage is nothing to brag about.
Of the vehicles that you listed, I'd go with the Highlander with 4WD. I know nothing about hybrids, so I'd get the gas model. Can you really drive a Toyota until the wheels fall off? I drove a 2000 Tacoma 18 years and it was still running and looking fine when I sold it.

Same here..awesome vehicles.
mushripu

Post by mushripu »

I would second the Mazda CX-9 or the newer model CX-90.
It is smaller than the Subarban or Buick enclave. But for my family where we are all below 5'9", it has worked out fine.

Buick enclaves are also a possibility. One of my neighbors has enclave and really likes it. It is a gas guzzler though.
hotajax

Post by hotajax »

Get the Toyota. It will still be running long after sales of gasoline engines are banned.
Arboecars

Post by Arboecars »

We highly recommend the GMC Acadia.

We have had 2 in the household for 7 years with three rows, with no problems!

They are very economical and highly reliable.
Bikes4life

Post by Bikes4life »

Sorry if I missed it but how many kids, middle row captains chairs or bench?

I know you said you didn't want the traverse, but that is about the closest thing to a minivan you will find in an SUV. The cx9 is great, but probably won't be enough room
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

This was my experience with Mazda. Had a leak in the cowling every time it rained. Dealer tried 3 times to fix it. Corporate Mazda wouldn't even talk to me. Traded for a Toyota and have never bought anything else (I include Lexus here).

2 Toyota Camrys each traded at 100K miles
1 LS400 250k miles 20 years traded it to get a highlander to pull a boat
RX330 160k still driving it
Highlander 130K still driving it

All these and had a water power steering pump replaced (because it was noisy) in the LS400 at 220k

TOYOTA!

Oh but really sad they have gone turbo on all new Highlanders. May need to stick with used....

Good Luck

Wally
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

Telluride is your best option. I also went through this exercise in the last few months.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

Bikes4life wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:05 am Sorry if I missed it but how many kids, middle row captains chairs or bench?

I know you said you didn't want the traverse, but that is about the closest thing to a minivan you will find in an SUV. The cx9 is great, but probably won't be enough room
2 child car seats, and occasional 2 additional adults in 3rd row
Captain chairs

I started off looking for 3rd row but will very likely get a minivan.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

wallygator wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:24 am 2 Mazda's 1st made in Japan, beat the heck out of, long lasting, #2 not made in Japan, after 20k miles get rid of it, just a piece of junk.

This was my experience with Mazda. Had a leak in the cowling every time it rained. Dealer tried 3 times to fix it. Corporate Mazda wouldn't even talk to me. Traded for a Toyota and have never bought anything else (I include Lexus here).

2 Toyota Camrys each traded at 100K miles
1 LS400 250k miles 20 years traded it to get a highlander to pull a boat
RX330 160k still driving it
Highlander 130K still driving it

All these and had a water power steering pump replaced (because it was noisy) in the LS400 at 220k

TOYOTA!

Oh but really sad they have gone turbo on all new Highlanders. May need to stick with used....

Good Luck

Wally
Thanks, Wally. I will probably still test drive CX-90 but not likely to get it due to size and pricing. My wife and I test drove Highlander twice. It might be obvious, but that 3rd row is not made for adults. I also test drove Sienna. I am leaning toward Honda's Odyssey though.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

Fpdesignco wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:46 am Telluride is your best option. I also went through this exercise in the last few months.
While I had read good reviews about Telluride, in my book, they have not been making them for many years for me to feel they are reliable. Maybe they are, who knows. Anyway I don't think 3rd row SUVs will serve us. We are looking into minivans.
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

welloiledinvestor wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:33 pm
Fpdesignco wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:46 am Telluride is your best option. I also went through this exercise in the last few months.
While I had read good reviews about Telluride, in my book, they have not been making them for many years for me to feel they are reliable. Maybe they are, who knows. Anyway I don't think 3rd row SUVs will serve us. We are looking into minivans.
In that case, it’s a odyssey. I have a 3 row and a minivan spent a lot of time before both purchases looking at the field. On the minivan front it’s between the odyssey and Pacifica. If you consider the Sienna, my recommendation is test drive it against the odyssey the same day.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

Fpdesignco wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:42 pm
welloiledinvestor wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:33 pm
In that case, it’s a odyssey. I have a 3 row and a minivan spent a lot of time before both purchases looking at the field. On the minivan front it’s between the odyssey and Pacifica. If you consider the Sienna, my recommendation is test drive it against the odyssey the same day.
Thanks. Yeah, I am very likely leaning toward Odyssey. I test drove Sienna (2022) few days apart from the test drive for Odyssey. I have to say I found the cabin to be more practical and the fact that you can slide the chairs side ways in Odyssey also impressed me.
kgw

Post by kgw »

We chose the Honda Odyssey Elite. I love the performance of the lane keeping assist on highway. The mocha interior, abundance of charge ports, magic seats, rear entertainment, Honda refinement & reliability, and low maintenance costs make it hard to beat.
Topic Author
welloiledinvestor

kgw wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:20 pm We chose the Honda Odyssey Elite. I love the performance of the lane keeping assist on highway. The mocha interior, abundance of charge ports, magic seats, rear entertainment, Honda refinement & reliability, and low maintenance costs make it hard to beat.
Great! I test drove Elite trim and dealership let me take it home (20 mins drive). It was snowing lightly but I really liked driving it. I am leaning toward getting EX-L trim. We'll see.
jshade1962

Post by jshade1962 »

I also need a three-row vehicle because my three kids are too big to sit three across in the back seat of our Volvo station wagon, a 2015 xc70.

I am leaning toward to buying a used XC90 later this year when used prices will hopefully be lower. It has the same chassis as the xc70 but some of that model's capacious cargo hold has been used for the third row.

Anyone got a case for not going with the XC90?

In about seven years of ownership, my xc70 maintenance has included a brake pad change, replacement of turbocharger lines, and replacement of three flat or bulging tires, caused by running over nails and hitting the curb twice. It's fun to drive and handles snow and ice beautifully.